Starts at $279
Apple just released Apple Watch SE. It’s a more affordable smartwatch without the extra health tracking sensors included in the new Apple Watch Series 6. Most notably absent are the Blood Oxygen sensor and ECG heart-rate monitoring. Otherwise both watches have a lot in common. They share the same screen sizes, and have the same accelerometer, gyroscope, and always-on altimeter with the latest motion sensors and microphone. Plus safety capabilities including fall detection, Emergency SOS, international emergency calling, and the Noise app are the same both too.
With a starting price of $279, Apple Watch SE offers a sweet $120 in savings over Series 6. That begs the question do you need to pay more? For most people in good health, the answer is probably not. And if you can find a good deal on last year’s (now discontinued) Series 5, it’s better than Watch SE. Although Series 5 and SE share the same processor, Series 5 included a ECG sensor that SE does not. Lastly, for the truly cost conscious Series 3 is still selling for a new low price of $199.
Apple Watch comes pre-installed with watchOS 7, so users can take advantage of powerful new features including Family Setup, which allows kids or older family members without an iPhone to enjoy Apple Watch. New apps such as sleep tracking, automatic hand washing detection, and new workouts are included with watchOS 7. In addition, there’s seven new watch face options, including Stripes, Chronograph Pro, GMT, and Artist.
Apple Watch SE is available in three aluminum case finishes (gold, silver or space gray) and is compatible with all Apple Watch bands including the new Solo Loop and Braided Solo Loop.
“Apple Watch SE combines elements of the Series 6 design with the most essential features of Apple Watch, all at a more affordable price. We’re excited to offer another great option to help customers stay connected, be more active, and keep an eye on their health.”Jeff Williams, Apple’s chief operating officer
- Apple Watch SE (GPS) starts at:
- $279 (40mm) / $309 (44mm)
- Apple Watch SE (GPS + Cellular) starts at:
- $329 (40mm) / $359 (44mm)
- Apple Watch SE (GPS) is available to order today from apple.com and in the Apple Store app, with availability beginning Friday, September 18, 2020 in the US, Puerto Rico, and 27 other countries and regions.
- Apple Watch SE (GPS + Cellular) is available to order today from apple.com and in the Apple Store app, with availability beginning Friday, September 18, 2020 in the US, Puerto Rico, and 21 other countries and regions. For carrier availability, visit apple.com/watch/cellular.
- New Apple Watch bands are available to order today from apple.com and in the Apple Store app, with availability beginning Friday, September 18, 2020. Solo Loop and Braided Solo Loop in PRODUCT(RED) will be available in late October 2020. Solo Loop and Braided Solo Loop are compatible with Apple Watch Series 4 and later.
- watchOS 7 will be available for Apple Watch Series 3 and later on September 16, 2020 and requires iPhone 6s or later running iOS 14. Not all features are available on all devices.
- When customers buy directly from Apple, Apple Watch Studio gives them the exclusive opportunity to pick their preferred case and band combination to create a look that is uniquely their own.