In March 2021, Sonos unveiled its Roam wireless loudspeaker. This compact portable speaker can be integrated with other Sonos speakers at home, or be used solo when on the go using Bluetooth.
For 2022, the Roam is still in the Sonos product line, but this year, Sonos has introduced an additional version, the Roam SL that is priced $20 less. However, that $20 discount means that some features have been eliminated.
Roam and Roam SL Shared Features
The Roam SL is the same size and has the same internal speaker design and amplifier specifications as the Roam.
- Two Class-H digital amplifiers have been perfectly tuned to the speaker’s unique acoustic design.
- Speaker drivers include one tweeter and mid/woofer.
Other features common between the Roam and Roam SL include:
- IP7 (aka IPX7) Waterproof Rating. This means that the Roam and Roam SL can be placed in 3 feet of water for up to 30 minutes.
- Battery Life (Up to 10 hours – Rechargeable)
- Apple AirPlay 2 compatibility
- Wi-Fi and Bluetooth (Automatic depending on location)
- Sonos Radio and additional streaming services via the Sonos App.
Tip: You can pair a Sonos Roam and Roam SL. Another fun thing you can do is play music from a Bluetooth-enabled turntable on a Sonos Roam or Roam SL.
Roam and Roam SL Differences
The main thing missing from the Roam SL are microphones. This means that, unlike the Roam, you can’t control the Roam SL via Alexa or Google Assistant.
Also, since there are no microphones on the Roam SL, Sonos Automatic Trueplay Tuning, which optimizes sound quality based on the environment, is not accessible. However, you can still adjust bass and treble manually via the Sonos App.
Another feature that has been eliminated is Sonos Sound Swap. This feature would normally allow users to “swap” music between a Roam and other Sonos speakers.
Price & Availability
Sonos Roam SL is now available for pre-order for $159 at sonos.com and is expected to start shipping on March 15, 2022.
Sonos Roam is available now for $179 at sonos.com or amazon.com.
Related articles about Sonos: