UST (Ultra Short Throw) Laser projectors are becoming increasingly popular, with over a dozen companies offering models. The Epson EpiqVision LS800 4K Pro-UD UST Projector looks to be a very intriguing and rather expensive new option.
UST projectors incorporate a specially constructed lens assembly that allows images to be displayed from a very short distance, generally less than a foot away from the screen.
A UST projector and screen can provide cost savings when compared to purchasing a flat panel TV sized above 85-inches. Another capability is the elimination of glare that is common on TVs.
However, just as with other types of projectors, USTs are sensitive to room light. Ambient light-reflecting (ALR) screens can mitigate the problem, but as with any projector, they still look best in a darkened room.
Tip: All 2022 UST projectors offer 4K resolution. There are no 8K models yet
Epson UST (Ultra Short Throw) Laser Projectors
For 2022, Epson has announced a new 4K UHD model, the Epiqvision LS800.
The LS800 incorporates a low profile design that makes it less conspicuous with room decor and can accommodate up to a 150-inch screen. A built-in sensor detects room light levels that enable Auto Contrast enhancement which helps when the projector is used in a brighter room.
Built-in Android TV provides access to an abundance of streaming content, and a built-in Yamaha sound system improves audio performance. Also, 1080p/120Hz support is provided for gaming fans.
LS800 – Key Features and Specifications
Resolution: The LS800 achieves 4K UHD display resolution via Pro UHD Pixel Shifting. This means that the pixels on the 1080p resolution LCD chips (red, green, and blue) are shifted rapidly so that visually a 4K UHD image is displayed. The shifting is undetectable by the human eye.
- Laser Light Source: Single laser with 20,000 use hour life.
- White Brightness: 4,000 ANSI Lumens
- Color Brightness: 4,000 CLO Lumens
- Tip: The difference between ANSI Lumens and CLO Lumens
- Preset Picture Modes: Dynamic, Vivid, Cinema, Natural
- High Dynamic Range (HDR) Support: HDR10, HDR10+, HLG.
- Tip: What you need to know about HDR in video projectors.
- Refresh Rate: 4K/60 Hz, Up to 1080p/120Hz
- Throw Ratio Range: 0.16 (Zoom: Wide), 0.40 (Zoom: Tele)
- Zoom/Focus: 1.0 to 2.5 (Digital Zoom), Manual Focus
- Image Size Range: 80 to 150-inches
|Screen Size||Projector Distance|
- Fan Noise: 23 to 32 dB.
- Bluetooth Version: Ver. 5.0
- Bluetooth Profile Support: A2DP, AVRCP, HID, HOGP
- Bluetooth Codec Support: SBC, AAC
- Smart Features: Android TV and Chromecast built-in.
- Audio: Built-in Yamaha DSP 2.1 system with two full-range 5W speakers and one 10W subwoofer (20 W total).
- Epson EpiqVision™ Ultra LS800 Full Specifications (pdf)
- Projector Size (WxDxH): 27.4 x 6.2 x 13.4-inches
- Projector Weight: 27.6 lbs
Preset Sound Settings:
- Karaoke Mode
Sound Enhancement Options:
- Virtual Surround
- Clear Voice
- Auto Loudness
- Bass Extension
- Sound Space
Tip: You can also connect the LS800 to an external audio system via HDMI-ARC, digital optical, or analog audio outputs.
Control: A wireless remote is provided. Google Assistant voice control is also supported.
Here are the connections provided with the LS800.
- HDMI (ver 2.0): 2, one of which supports ARC (Audio Return Channel). 18 Gbps bandwidth support is provided.
- Digital Optical: 1 output
- Analog Audio: 1 output (can be used to connect to wired headphones or external audio system)
- USB Type A: Two USB 2.0 compliant ports for connecting a flash drive, webcam, microphone, or external HDD.
- USB mini Type-B: (1) (for service only)
- Ethernet/LAN RJ45: 1
- RS-232C: 1 for wired control.
What Comes In The Box
- Epson EpiqVision™ Ultra LS800 Laser Projector
- Power Cable
- Smart Remote Control with 2 AAA Batteries
- Quick Setup Guide
Availability and Pricing
The Epson EpiqVision™ Ultra LS800 4K PRO-UHD Laser Projector is available in black or white for $3,499 at ProjectorScreen and other authorized Epson dealers.