Apple, Amazon and Spotify have jumped onboard the lossless (CD quality) and Hi-Res lossless streaming train finally but what will it really mean for music listeners. Is Apple really committed to lossless steaming or is Spatial Audio the next new thing for them as none of their existing wireless headphones support lossless streaming? What will this mean for Tidal and Qobuz who have carried the torch for more than 5 years already?
In this episode, the ecoustics team continues the discussion (from Episode 2) about the dramatic changes in digital music streaming and what you need to know before upgrading, migrating, and picking the right one for you. It’s a bit of a mess right now to be quite honest.
Where to listen:
- Apple Podcasts
- iHeart Radio
- Soundcloud (coming soon)
- Google Podcasts
- YouTube (coming soon)
This episode features commentary from the ecoustics team:
- Brian Mitchell – Founder & CEO
- Ian White – Editor-in-Chief
- Lauren Halliday – Music Editor
- Eric Pye – Vintage Hi-Fi Columnist
- Mitch Anderson – Producer
- Apple WWDC 2021 Unveils Spatial Audio for FaceTime and SharePlay
- Apple Music with Spatial Audio is Cool But Its Hi-Res Roll-Out Sucks
- Apple Music & Its Switch to Lossless and What That Might Mean for MQA: Opinion
- Amazon Music HD Drops Upcharge
- Apple Music is Being Upgraded With Lossless Audio and Dolby Atmos: At No Extra Charge
- Will Spotify HiFi Create the Next Generation of Audiophiles?