With the flip of a switch, the world’s three largest digital music streaming platforms tossed MP3s into the dustbin of history this week. And not a moment too soon. Apple Music and Amazon Music have enabled CD-quality or higher streaming for all subscribers for $9.99/month. Spotify have announced they will follow suit, but haven’t set a date. All Amazon Music subscribers now have access to higher quality music, which previously incurred a $5/month surcharge for Amazon Music HD. Apple Music subscribers simply need to opt-in on their Apple device beginning June 2021. How do all of these developments impact Tidal and Qobuz? This episode examines all of these announcements and how it will impact digital music streaming going forward.
Where To Listen
This episode features commentary from the ecoustics team:
- Samson: Check out Samson’s Q9U podcast microphone, Ian is using in this episode!
- Amazon Music HD Drops $5 Upcharge
- Apple Music Announces Lossless and Hi-res Audio Streaming
- Spotify Announces HiFi Streaming is Forthcoming
- Will Spotify HiFi Create More Audiophiles
- Original intro and outro music by The Arc of All.
- Voice Over Provided by Todd Harrell of SSP Unlimited.
- Production by Mitch Anderson, Black Circle Studios.