Pioneer has released its latest flagship A/V receiver for home theater, the Elite VSX-LX805. It has a comprehensive feature set starting with a chassis that incorporates extruded anti-resonant Aluminium heat sinks, high-grade 18,000uf rated capacitors, and an audio signal path for optimum noise reduction and signal clarity, with support from 32-bit ESS ES9026PRO Hyperstream® audiophile DACs.
The Elite VSX-LX805 can also integrate into a custom install environment with Control4, Crestron, Savant, URC, Elan, and RTI control systems.
With 11 channels of amplification and two subwoofer outputs, the VSX-LX805 supports up to a 7.2.4-channel home theater speaker setup. Two additional wired zone outputs are also provided that support Zone 2 and Zone 3 controllable two-channel stereo setups.
The VSX-LX805 also has Dirac Live room correction built-in (License included). This allows users to fine-tune speakers to more accurately match room acoustics. Room Correction Setup can be done via the Dirac PC/MAC app and optional USB mic (Advanced), or the more basic MCACC (Multi-Channel Acoustic Calibration System) room correction option.
Tip: Dirac Live requires a network/internet connection whereas MCACC can be performed without a network/internet connection. Dirac Live Bass Control is available (single or multi) as an optional user setup upgrade.
Here are details on some of the additional features and specifications of the VSX-LX805.
- Amplication: 11 Channel Amplifier (A/B class) that delivers 150 Watts per channel (8 ohms, 20 Hz–20 kHz, 0.08% THD, 2-ch driven, FTC).
- Audio Support: This Flagship AVR provides support for Dolby Atmos/Dolby Atmos Music, DTS:X, and Auro 3D (via firmware update – June 2023), as well as IMAX Enhanced and additional surround sound processing capability using Cirrus Logic and TI DSP chips.
- Hi-Res Audio: 24-bit/192kHz Hi-res audio playback is supported. Digital audio format file format compatibility includes MP3, WMA, WAV, MPEG-4/AAC, FLAC, and ALAC.
- Wireless Music Streaming: Apple Music, Amazon HD, Spotify Connect, Tidal, Deezer, Pandora, Tune-In, Roon Ready.
Tip: Dolby Atmos music is available from Apple Music, and will be available soon from Amazon Music and TIDAL.
- Multi-room Audio: DTS Play-Fi, Works with Sonos Certified
- HDMI 2.1 Support: Includes HDMI-eARC and Gaming Support (4K/120Hz, 8K/60Hz) with up to 40Gbps transfer rate, VRR (Variable Refresh Rate), ALLM (Auto Low Latency Mode), and Quick Frame Transport (QFT), DSC (Display Stream Compression), QMS (Quick Media Switching), Dynamic HDR.
- HDR: Pass-through of all HDR formats, including Dolby Vision is provided.
- Remote Control: A wireless handheld remote is provided.
- Voice Control: Alexa Built-in, Google Assistant, Apple Siri, and Josh AI (this option needs to be installed professionally)
- Smartphone App Control: iOS, Android
- Additional Control: 12-volt trigger (2), wired remote sensor (in/out), RS232C, IP Control
- Wireless: Bluetooth (Aptx HD), AirPlay 2, Chromecast Built-in Wi-Fi (Wired Ethernet is also included if needed).
- Wired Inputs: HDMI (6 rear/1 front), Analog (5 plus 1 x XLR), Phono (MM-1), Digital Optical (3), Digital Coaxial (2), USB (1 1 Rear)
- Wired Outputs: HDMI (3), Multichannel Pre-out (11), Subwoofer (2), XLR pre-out options for left and right front channels.
- Speaker Connections: 15 Pairs of speaker terminals (one pair for each amplified channel).
Dimensions and Weight
- Dimensions (WHD): TBA
- Weight: TBA
Pricing & Availability
The Pioneer Elite VSX-LX805 is priced at $2,999.00 and will be available in Spring 2023 through authorized dealers. Optional Dirac Live Bass Control costs extra at:
- One Subwoofer: $349.00
- Multiple Subwoofers: $499.00 (when buying the multiple subwoofer option outright) or $169.00 (when upgrading from the One Subwoofer version to the multiple subwoofer version)
Just two weeks ago, Integra announced its flagship DRX-8.4 AVR, which has almost identical features except for the differences outlined in the table below. Other competitors include the Denon AVR-X4800H and Marantz Cinema 50, which are each $2,500.
|Brand/Model||Pioneer VSX-LX805||Integra DRX-8.4|
|Flip Down Front Panel||Yes||No|
|Balanced Audio Outputs||2 (L, R)||5 (L, C, R, SW 1, SW2)|
|Onboard Diagnostic Tool Kit|
(EDID, HDCP, Test Patterns)
|Subwoofer Outputs||2 (parallel)||4 (2 independent/2 parallel)|
Tip: The Pioneer and Integra brands are both a part of the Premium Audio Company, which in turn is owned by VOXX International.
March 14, 2023 at 7:40 pm
Why did they switch from Class D to Class AB? Pioneer had potential for something high end on their hands, it was what they were known for.