The high-end wireless headphone space is starting to look like a meeting of the G7.
KEF today joins the growing list of high-end audio companies entering the battle for wireless noise cancelling headphone supremacy. KEF joins the British front currently led by Bowers & Wilkins, who introduced two luxury models this year, the Px7 S2 and Px8. Just last week, Focal stormed the Bastille with the Bathys, which went toe-to-toe with America’s, Mark Levinson No. 5909. Meanwhile, the Germans have been teasing an even pricier model from T+A that has yet to come out.
KEF has introduced their first wireless noise cancelling over-ear headphone called the Mu7, which are expected to sell for $399 USD in either silver grey or charcoal.
Despite ever increasing headphone prices, KEF is keeping things relatively affordable; their $399 price point is the same as the Bowers & Wilkins Px7 S2, Sony WH-1000XM5 and Sennheiser Momentum 4. The industrial design suggests that KEF is going after the AirPods Max customer.
The KEF Mu7 headphones boast precision-engineered, ergonomic aluminium construction. A lightweight, durable headband delivers a snug acoustic seal, with minimal ear pressure. The memory foam ear pads mould to the shape of the head, improving both passive and active noise cancellation and bass response. A swivel point above the ear cups allows the headphones to be rotated and flattened, ideal for compact transport.
A capacitive touchpad on the right ear cup allows users to answer calls, skip tracks and adjust volume through a series of intuitive taps and swipes. Lovegrove notes that “If you are wearing a particular type of headphones, they are an extension of you. Well, what is the best interface? Your finger. It’s like putting your hand over your ears, there’s this gestural elegance.”
Custom tuned by the KEF engineering experts, the Mu7 headphones integrate enhanced codec technology to deliver KEF’s instantly recognisable high-resolution sound quality, wirelessly. In each of the closed-back earcups sits a full-range dynamic driver for a pristine audio performance that reveals even the most subtle acoustic details.
Sophisticated Smart Active Noise Cancellation technology uses multiple filters to capture environmental sound, before applying a specialised algorithm to target individual frequencies. For hands-free phone calls, Clear Voice Capture (cVc) isolates the voice of the speaker and minimizes all other noise picked up by the microphone, ensuring crystal clear calls regardless of the environment.
- Smart Active Noise Cancellation monitors the surroundings and eliminates external noise under different environments
- 40mm full range dynamic driver engineered to reveal the smallest details of your favourite music
- High-resolution sound up to 24bit/48kHz via Qualcomm® aptX™ HD codec
- Supports SBC, AAC, aptX, aptX HD
- Bluetooth 5.1 for exceptionally stable connections with both iOS and Android devices
- Intuitive touch control of music and calls with simple swipes and taps
- Ergonomic design for comfort and fit
- Precision-engineered aluminium frame
- Breathable leatherette memory foam ear cushions
- Clear Voice Capture (cVc) for clear voice calls
- Fold flat for easy carrying and storage
- Up to 40-hour use at full charge (Bluetooth and ANC enabled)
- Fast charging of 15 mins for 8-hour use
- Weight 309g
Price & Availability
The KEF Mu7 wireless noise cancelling over-ear headphones will be available for $399 in Silver Grey and Charcoal.
Related Video: Best Wireless ANC Headphones 2022 (YouTube)