How you utilize your Netflix account is about to change and there is a lot of confusion right now in regard to the impending password crackdown. We have provided some initial information regarding Netflix’s impending password-sharing crackdown but the news keeps changing and that’s becoming a problem. Although final details still have not been provided, here is some basic information Netflix users need to know.
Proposed Password Sharing Plan Confusion
Netflix has stated that a recent help page entry regarding all of the details for its Password Sharing Plan was mistakenly posted and has been taken down. However, the information that was “posted in error” reflects the Password Sharing Plan that is actually being tested in Chile, Costa Rica, and Peru.
Update 2/9/2023: Netflix is implementing its password sharing in four more countries: Canada, New Zealand, Portugal, and Spain. Indications are that the UK will be next. The US is probably not far behind.
Regardless of how the final details for the U.S. shake out, it looks like the price of an individual shared account may be between $2.99 and $4.00 per month, and there may be an option to add a second household for an additional undetermined fee.
It is expected that details will be finalized very soon as it has been reported that the crackdown may officially start by the end of March 2023.
Netflix Account Ground Rules
For those not familiar with Netflix or have forgotten how their subscriber accounts work, here is a refresher.
- Netflix accounts are only authorized for those living in a single household.
- Those who don’t live in the same household are required to pay for their own Netflix account.
- When a device outside of your household signs in to an account or is used persistently, we may ask the main account holder to verify that device before it can be used to watch Netflix or switch your Netflix household.
Tip: Netflix will not automatically charge you if you share your account with someone who doesn’t live with you. This information could change once the Password Sharing Plan goes into effect.
When you sign up for Netflix to use on a specific device (TV, media streamer) Netflix knows which device you (as the primary account holder) are using. Depending on your plan, you may be able to log in on one or more additional devices. Once a device(s) is attached to your account, you can watch shows and movies on that device as long as you are logged in. However, there may be instances where a device needs to be verified.
- Devices used to watch Netflix via the primary account holder’s internet connection should not be subject to verification.
- If a Netflix account is used by a device that is not associated with the primary account owner’s household, the device will need to be verified before it can be used to watch Netflix.
- Netflix plans to track IP addresses, device IDs, and account activity from devices signed into a Netflix account.
To verify authorized devices and users Netflix sends a link to the email address or phone number associated with the primary account owner.
- The link displays a page with a 4-digit verification code.
- The code needs to be entered on the device that requested it within 15 minutes.
- If the code expires, you will need to request a new verification code from the device.
- Once verified that device can be used to watch Netflix.
Warning: Device verification may be required periodically. If you suspect an unauthorized person is using your account, you should reset the password immediately.
Tip: It is important to also remind Netflix viewers that the number of devices that can be viewed at the same time in the same household depends on what plan the account holder subscribes to.
Using Netflix When Traveling
If you are traveling or live between different homes and are the primary account owner (or live with them), you shouldn’t need to verify your device to watch Netflix. However, if you are away from the Netflix household for an extended period of time, you may be asked to verify your device. This is to determine that the device using the account is authorized to do so.
Plans and Pricing
For reference, here are the current Netflix Plans:
- Basic with Ads: $6.99/month
- Basic: $9.99/month
- Standard: $15.49/month
- Premium: $19.99/month
For more information: How to sign up for Netflix