Modular In-ear Headphones Convert From Wireless to Wired
On April 2, 2020 Shure and Adam Levine, lead singer of Maroon 5, joined forces to release the AONIC 215 True Wireless Sound Isolating Earphones. The collaboration reminds consumers that Shure provides the same high-quality audio for consumers that artists like Levine rely on to record and perform their music. In addition, an over-ear wireless noise cancelling headphone, AONIC 50 joins the new AONIC lineup.
Update: On September 7, 2021, Shure introduced AONIC 215, Gen 2. See below for for improvements.
Built with the same design musicians use for in-ear monitoring on-stage, the company claims AONIC 215 feature awe-inspiring audio with clear sound and deep bass. Exceptional comfort and a secure, over-ear fit ensures the earphones stay in place even during high-energy activities. Sound Isolating technology blocks up to 37 dB of noise to eliminate unwanted distractions, but with a press of a button, Environment Mode lets listeners hear the outside world when needed.
AONIC 215 True Wireless Earphones offer eight hours of battery life with three additional full charges from the included rugged, hardcover case for a total of up to 32 hours of battery life on the go. Equipped with a premium headphone amplifier, AONIC 215 supports multiple codecs, including Qualcomm aptX, AAC, and SBC, and offers Bluetooth 5 wireless technology for enhanced stability and a range of up to 30 feet.
AONIC 215 features the same award-winning modular design that Shure Sound Isolating Earphones are known for. Listeners can quickly go from wired to wireless with the proper accessories. The Secure Fit Adapter can also be purchased separately to easily transform any existing detachable Shure Sound Isolating Earphones, including the SE846, SE535, SE425, into true wireless.
“The modular design of this product enables users to take their AONIC 215 Earphones and convert them from true wireless to wired in seconds, without having to buy a second pair of earphones to upgrade to the latest cable or wireless technology,. If you want to go from listening wirelessly on your phone to plugging in to a laptop for a conference call, it’s a simple switch, while keeping the same high-quality audio performance.”Matt Engstrom, Senior Category Director, Global Product Management, at Shure.
When paired with the free ShurePlus™ PLAY App, listeners can personalize their noise cancellation and Environment Mode levels. Available for iOS and Android, the PLAY app is also a full-featured music player with EQ, supporting standard, and hi-res music files.
In addition to the feature controls, the PLAY app lets users customize tone and voice prompts for important notifications, like power on/off, connection confirmation, and low battery. The PLAY app can also be used to upgrade firmware.
AONIC 215 Intro Video
AONIC 215, Gen 2 Intro Video
AONIC 215, Gen 2 How To Setup and Use
Secure Fit Adapters
- Frequency: 2402 to 2480 MHz
- Modulation Type: FHSS
- RF Output Power: +4 dBm
- Antenna Type: Chip
- Antenna Gain: -4.32 dBi (Left), -2.73 dBi (Right)
- Supported Codecs: aptX™, SBC, AAC
- Working Range: 10 m
- IPX4 Sweat and Water Resistant (Gen 2 only)
AONIC 215 Earphone
- Transducer Type: Single High-Definition MicroDriver
- Sensitivity: 107 dB SPL/mW at 1 kHz
- Impedance: 17 Ω at 1 kHz
- Noise Attenuation: up to 37 dB
- Frequency Range: 22 Hz – 17.5 kHz
- Input Connector: MMCX connectors
- Net Weight: 20.8 g (.7 oz.)
- IPX4 Sweat and Water Resistant (Gen 2 only)
How to Setup & Use
- True wireless audio. No cords. No wires.
- Secure fit for unmatched, long-wearing comfort, even during high-energy activities.
- Sound Isolating™ technology blocks up to 37 dB of noise.
- Environment Mode lets you hear the outside world with the touch of a button.
- Up to 8 hours battery life.
- Included carrying case provides three additional charges for a total of up to 32 hours battery life on-the-go.
- Detachable connection allows the AONIC 215 Earphones to attach to different cable accessories. Stay connected to any device, including airplane entertainment systems.
- Premium headphone amplifier and support for multiple codecs including Qualcomm® aptX™, AAC and SBC
- Bluetooth® 5 wireless technology for enhanced stability and a range of up to 30 feet (10 metres). Pairs to phones, tablets and laptops for music and calls.
- Free ShurePlus™ PLAY app allows you to customize your EQ and Environment Mode levels.
- Available in four color options (clear, black, white, blue).
- Includes a two-year warranty.
- Included in box:
- AONIC 215 detachable Sound Isolating™ Earphones
- True Wireless Secure Fit Adapter
- Fit kit with a variety of sleeves for the perfect fit
- Charging case
- USB-C charging cable
Gen 2 Update: (Sept 7, 2021)
On September 7, 2021, Shure introduced a second-generation upgrade to the AONIC 215 and Wireless Adapter (model RMCE-TW2), which adds the following features:
- Sweat and Water Resistant—AONIC 215 Gen 2 is built to perform in all conditions. Regardless of the environment—a drizzly commute to the office, or a sweaty spin ride at home—the earphones are IPX4-rated for optimal performance. Eight hours of battery life with three additional full charges from the included rugged, hardcover case means listeners can expect up to 32 hours of battery life.
- Hardware EQ—Users can choose from multiple presets, or create their own custom EQ and load it to their earphones using the ShurePlus PLAY app.
- Crystal Clear Phone Calls—Whether listeners are on the train, rushing to the subway, or taking an important call between meetings, AONIC 215 Gen 2 makes it easy to navigate calls. Call audio can now be heard in both ears, and role switching enables use of either right or left independently.Four beamforming microphones work together to improve voice intelligibility for video conferencing and phone calls.
- Auto Power On—Listeners no longer have to fumble with an on-button, AONIC 215 Gen 2 earphones power on automatically out of the case.
- Onboard Button Control—Convenience and ease-of-use are key when users are on-the-go. AONIC 215 Gen 2 now offers volume control directly on the earphones themselvesas well as easy mute control. Customizable button configuration available in the app enables personalization of volume, playback, and call controls on either the left or right side.
For greater details, see the RMCE-TW2 user guide.
Pricing and Availability
- The original AONIC 215 can now be purchased for $158 to $199 at Amazon in clear, black, white, blue
- The original True Wireless Secure Fit Adapter (model RMCE-TW1) has been discontinued. It originally sold for $229 USD.