Offers One-Touch Access to Car Control, Vehicle Tracking, Family Safety and Home Security from a Smartphone, With Unique Social Networking Features
Directed Electronics has released the Viper SmartStart GPS (VSM250) that can be installed as a stand-alone system, allowing users to enjoy the following location based features on their smartphone using the Viper SmartStart app:
- Vehicle Locator: Press a button on your smartphone and receive vehicle's current location, speed and direction
- Social Check-in:Text or e-mail your car's location with one-touch, or check-in to update your social network
- Speed Alert: Request a notification when a family vehicle exceeds your specified setting
- Lockdown Alert: Receive a notification if your vehicle is moved without your OK
All four of the above features are included in the SmartStart GPS Secure Service Plan starting at just $5 a month. Other features can be accessed with the Premium Secure Service Plan, starting at under $6 a month, including:
- Smart Fence: Creates a secure zone around your vehicle so you'll be alerted if your vehicle leaves the zone
- Hotspot: Adds a virtual Do Not Enter zone around a location so you'll be alerted if your vehicle goes there
- Scheduling: Schedule time frames and curfews for notifications
Users will also be able to take advantage of the useful SmartPark feature, which remembers where the car is parked each time the user locks the car using their smartphone, as well as Viper Motor Club roadside assistance, which is available at no additional charge with all Secure Service Plans.
In addition to Viper SmartStart GPS, a major update to the free Viper SmartStart app now allows users to arm and disarm their home security system using their smartphone. A quick flip of the wrist toggles between the car control and home control screens in the Viper SmartStart app. To enable smartphone control of an Alarm.com-enabled home security system, please visit www.alarm.com to find an authorized dealer.
Viper SmartStart is currently available on the iPhone, BlackBerry and Android platforms. Viper SmartStart GPS is available initially for iOS devices as an update (v2.2) to the Viper SmartStart app at the iTunes App Store (http://itunes.apple.com/app/viper-smartstart/id333400981?mt=8 ) and at www.viper.com/smartstart. Viper SmartStart GPS will be available soon for Android smartphones.
Price and Availability
Available starting today in the U.S. and Canada, Viper SmartStart GPS (model number VSM250) has a suggested retail price of $299.99 and is compatible with virtually all vehicle security and remote start systems from Directed Electronics, including Viper, Clifford, Python and Avital.