It’s good to know that Technics are not the only ones paying attention to the growing interest in CD playback. It’s not approaching anything resembling the 10-year surge in record sales and vinyl playback, but CDs are not dead yet. Consumers purchased billions of CDs and while a big chunk of the market moved on to downloads and digital streaming, there are a few dozen companies still making new CD players and the death spiral hit a rock on the way down and has flattened out for now. The Technics SA-C600 Compact Network CD Receiver is designed for those who still listen to CDs but also stream.
Is it too little too late?
I own 3 CD players in 2022 so you’re never going to convince me that CDs are dead and buried.
Panasonic and Technics just wrapped up their press event where Technics announced the launch of the new SA-C600 Compact Network CD Receiver, which is part of the new ‘Premium C600’ series. This new Technics line also includes the highly capable SB-C600 Compact Speaker System, which launched in November 2021.
The SA-C600 is an addition to the Technics portfolio, filling the gap between the all-in-one compact speaker systems, such as C70MK2, and true separate component systems, such as the C700 and the G700 systems.
The new SA-C600 incorporates the sophisticated full-digital amplification technology of the JENO Engine, which is the basis for the powerful and dynamic audio quality of all Technics products. However, the SA-C600 Compact Network CD Receiver also meets rising consumer demands for connectivity and flexibility.
Technics has a loyal following when it comes to its turntables and we’re pleased to see a MM phono stage included as part of the package.
MQA support won’t be a big deal for a lot of users but Spotify Connect and AirPlay 2 support will.
The SA-C600 has an impressive list of key features and specifications:
- Elegant, compact CD top-loader design
- 2 x 60W into 4 ohms for room-filling power and dynamics
- Technics’ proprietary full-digital amplifier based on the JENO Engine (Jitter Elimination and Noise-Shaping Optimization)
- Low Noise Power Supply
- Left and right channel individual Space Tune with additional “In-shelf” option
- High-quality Phono MM input
- Optical SPDIF input with auto power-on function when detecting source signal – especially comfortable with TV signals
- Subwoofer output
- Chromecast built-in for multiroom capability and access to streaming services
- Spotify Connect, TIDAL, Deezer, Amazon Music
- Internet Radio / DAB / FM
- AirPlay 2
- MQA decoding
Pricing & Availability: The SA-C600 will be available in Europe from February 2022, in a choice of silver or black. The price in the UK will be £849 prices for USA and EU to be confirmed.
More info: www.technics.com