Simaudio today announced the MOON 760A dual-mono power amplifier, their most affordable Evolution series power amplifier yet. It is Simaudio’s first amplifier to be housed in the slim Evolution series chassis, making it unusually compact, yet very heavy. A dual-mono, class A/B design with balanced differential circuitry, output power is conservatively rated at 130Wpc into 8 ohms, 260Wpc into 4 ohms and like all our Evolution amplifiers, it is effortless into 2 ohm loads. Sonically the 760A exhibits all the hallmarks which MOON products are globally known for: an airy, detailed and open top end, transparent and 3-dimensional in the midrange, robust, powerful and authorative in the bass. In a nutshell, it will amplify music with all the harmonic accuracy, richness and dimensionality of a live musical performance.
A DC-coupled amplifier with our own “zero global feedback” circuit, the 760A has both balanced (XLR) and single- ended (RCA) inputs, but will sound best when driven via its XLR inputs. The heat sinks are crafted from custom made aircraft-grade aluminum extrusions and covered with our thermally transparent paint which will not fade or discolor over time.
This amplifier was created as a result of “market driven” demand; the 760A closes the large pricing gap between the Neo and Evolution series for a single-chassis 2-channel amplifier. It is the perfect entry into the Evolution range of MOON products, and when mated with the MOON 740P Preamplifier, becomes a formidable, ultra-high performance amplification package for its price.
MOON 760A Significant Design Features:
- Our “no overall feedback” amplifier design resulting in real-time amplification, a more accurate musical reproduction with respect to tonality, virtually non-existent transient intermodulation distortion and the elimination of common phase errors resulting from feedback
- Proprietary MOON Output transistors with unprecedented gain linearity resulting in improved bass response and even more accurate sonic reproduction – 4 per channel
- An oversized power supply
- A custom proprietary toroidal transformer design with lower magnetic, electrical and thermal loss, yielding an improved
- power transfer and lower regulation factor, resulting in increased current speed and better dynamics
- A high damping factor which yields superior musical dynamics, improved signal speed and refined timbre accuracy
- Full unsolicited RS-232 bidirectional feedback and 12 Volt trigger input/output for remote operation
- Self-diagnostic system that detects both over-heating and the presence of DC in the input signal
- Class A output to 5 watts for greater efficiency
- Accurate matching of the very finest quality electronic components in a symmetrical circuit design
- Ultra rigid chassis construction to minimize the effects of external vibrations
Price and Availability
The Simaudio MOON 760A will be available in Q1 of 2014 with an MSRP $8,000 USD.