CES 2022 brings us another interesting wireless noise cancelling over-ear headphone from Shure. Competitively priced at $249, the Shure AONIC 40 headphones offer a more affordable alternative to the award-winning AONIC 50 headphones that made it into our list of best headphones.
For a $50 price savings over AONIC 50, AONIC 40 offers a very attractive feature set, including the same adjustable noise cancellation with Environment Mode, customizable EQ, and a wired option for USB audio. Most notably, the key advantages to AONIC 40 are improved noise cancellation, 25% longer battery life, and quick charging capability.
According to Shure, “The ANC on the AONIC 40 is quieter and has better noise cancellation at low frequencies than the AONIC 50.” However, audiophiles less concerned about ANC may appreciate LDAC and 32/384 USB (wired) streaming only available on the AONIC 50.
|AONIC 40||AONIC 50|
|Driver||40mm Composite Driver||50mm Composite Driver|
|Design/Size||Double-Hinge DesignFolds flat + Collapses||Single-Hinge DesignFolds Flat|
|ANC||Adjustable Digital Hybrid||Adjustable Analog Hybrid|
|Environment Mode||Yes, Adjustable||Yes, Adjustable|
|USB Audio||Music Mode: 16-bit/48kHz|
Conference Mode: 16-bit/16kHz
|Music Mode: 32-bit/384kHz|
|Quick Charge||Yes: 15 minutes for 5 hours||No|
|Battery Life||25 hours||20 hours|
|Codecs||SBC, AAC, AptX, AptX-HD||Same, plus AptX-LL and LDAC|
|Accessories||Case/USB Cable/Analog Cable||Case/USB Cable/Analog Cable|
One of the reasons why AONIC headphones rise above the competition are the customization options through the free ShurePlus™ PLAY app, available on iOS and Android. Users can use the app to find EQ presets or adjust the parametric EQ to customize a listening experience that is unique to you. The app also assists with firmware updates and provides a repository for storing music, including hi-res music files.
“Shure is bringing that same studio quality sound that musicians and artists have trusted for decades to music lovers around the world.”
Jacob Collier, GRAMMY® Award-winning artist
- Portable Design: The foldable, rugged design and carrying case are ideal for compact storage and durable enough to withstand your next adventure.
- Adjustable Noise Cancellation: Block out surrounding noise and immerse yourself in the AONIC 40 listening experience with three digital ANC settings crafted to deliver users the best noise cancellation, wherever travels lead.
- Long-Lasting Comfort: Made with premium materials, including glass-filled nylon and aircraft-grade aluminum alloy, the AONIC 40 offers quality comfort and durability made to last.
- Premium Call Quality: Dial-in to video conferencing or phone calls with exceptional audio, thanks to dual beamforming microphones. Dual USB audio mode enables two-way mic communication with the included USB-C cable or connect with Bluetooth® 5 wireless technology for enhanced stability and a range of up to 30 feet.
- Accessible Controls: Answer calls, adjust volume, and control Active Noise Cancellation and Environment Mode levels with the push of a button.
“The AONIC 40 takes our 96-year heritage of delivering unparalleled audio in stages and studios around the world and pairs that expertise with our best-in-class Wireless Noise Cancelling Headphone technology. With a sleek, lightweight design and premium call quality, the AONIC 40 is the ideal headphone for anyone looking for the best combination of studio-quality audio performance, style, and comfort, no matter where the day takes them,” shared Eduardo Valdes, Associate Vice President of Global Marketing.
Pricing & Availability
The Shure AONIC 40 Wireless Noise Cancelling Headphones are available in White/Tan and Black for $249 at Amazon (USD).
Purchase includes the headphones, protective zippered carrying case, 3.5mm audio cable, a USB-C cable, and a two-year warranty.
For more information: read our hands-on Shure AONIC 40 review »
How to Setup & Use