We got word of the new PrimaLuna EVO 300 Hybrid Integrated Amplifier Floyd Design which looks rather interesting but we had to do some digging and reach out to Upscale Audio for some clarification.
PrimaLuna’s distribution in North America is handled by Kevin Deal (Upscale Audio), who is both fantastic to deal with when it comes to new product information, but also a great retailer. Upscale Audio is one of the premier high-end dealers in N. America and Kevin really knows the tube business better than most. If he doesn’t have it or have the ability to help you — you’re possibly out of luck.
The EVO 300 Hybrid is a solid-state integrated amplifier with a tube pre-amp section that is going to retail for possibly $7,295 USD (subject to change). In Europe retail will be €6.975, including VAT.
Durob Audio Head Designer, Jan de Groot, is responsible for the design of the new “Floyd” version which incorporates their MOSFET power stage and PrimaLuna tube pre-amp design.
There is no phono section from what we can tell based on the supplied images.
Kevin Deal, Founder of Upscale Audio (Authorized PrimaLuna USA retailer) had the following to say:
I will say there has never been an amp design like this one. From what I can see anyway. Never had I seen a dual-mono tube front end with two power supplies just like our preamps and a third transformer for the power amp. Heady stuff.Kevin Deal, Founder of Upscale Audio
50 samples of the EVO 300 Hybrid have been shipped to distributors and Upscale Audio currently has a handful on the bench in California before they are formally introduced but it certainly looks like an interesting product; it will be curious to see how it fits into the rest of their lineup which has some excellent products that are less expensive like the EVO 400 Tube Integrated Amplifier which retails for $4,995 ($5,248 with the optional phono stage).
Time will tell how this much more expensive integrated amplifier compares.
- Power 8 Ohm >100 Watts per channel (typical 115 Watts)
- Power 4 Ohm >150 Watts per channel (typical 170 Watts)
- Frequency Response 10 Hz – 80 kHz +/- 3 dB
- THD < 0.2% 100W @ 8 Ohm
- S/N Ratio -105dB (A-Weighted)
- Input Impedance 34k Ohm
- Input Sensitivity 415 mV
- Total Gain (Pre + Power Amp) 37.2 dB (7dB + 30.2dB)
- Power Consumption 99 Watts (no signal in); 645W@4R
- Net weight: 59.5 lbs / 29 kg
- Shipping Weight: 68.3 lbs / 25 kg
- Dimensions 15.9″ x 15.2″ x 8.1″ / 405 x 385 x 205 mm (L x W x H)
- Shipping Dimensions 22.7″ x 18.4″ x 12.4″ / 578 x 468 x 316 mm (L x W x H)
- Inputs 5 pairs Stereo RCA, 1 pair Home Theater Input
- Outputs Speaker Taps, Tape, Stereo/Mono Sub, Headphone
- Tube Complement 6 x 12AU7
- Damping Factor 160 (1 kHz)
For more information: primaluna.nl