A patent fight with InterDigital has escalated from the loss of Dolby Vision to a reported 1080p SDR downgrade for some Disney+ Premium subscribers.
Disney+ subscribers in parts of Europe have watched Dolby Vision disappear, return and disappear again during an ugly patent dispute. The latest downgrade is considerably worse: some Premium customers have now lost 4K UHD and HDR entirely while Disney continues charging the full subscription price.
Premium, apparently, is now more of a suggestion.
The trouble began in late 2025 after InterDigital secured a German injunction against Disney involving patented video technologies. As eCoustics reported in February, subscribers across several European markets found that titles previously available in Dolby Vision were playing in standard HDR10 instead. Disney initially blamed “technical issues” and stressed that 4K UHD and HDR remained available.
That distinction mattered. Losing Dolby Vision could reduce picture quality on compatible televisions, particularly models that rely on dynamic metadata for scene-by-scene tone mapping. Customers were still receiving 4K resolution and HDR10, however, so the Premium tier had not lost its most fundamental video benefits.
Disney restored Dolby Vision and 3D support across much of Europe in March, although user reports indicated that Germany remained excluded. The company then acknowledged that litigation involving InterDigital, not a conventional service problem, had caused the earlier removal.

The dispute escalated again in June when the Mannheim Local Division of the Unified Patent Court granted InterDigital an injunction covering an HEVC video-encoding patent across 11 European Union countries. Disney responded by removing Dolby Vision and 3D in affected markets once again, while retaining 4K UHD and HDR10.
A second UPC injunction followed on July 23. The Düsseldorf Local Division found that Disney infringed another InterDigital patent related to HEVC encoding. That order also spans 11 EU countries, including France, Germany and Italy, and Disney can appeal.
Disney has now confirmed that it temporarily removed 4K UHD and HDR support following a recent court ruling. The confirmation came from Disney’s Nordic and Baltic operation after subscribers reported the downgrade across several European markets. Disney has not provided a restoration date or announced broad compensation.
It is important not to overstate the geography. InterDigital says the injunction reaches 11 EU countries, but neither company has published a complete list, and Disney has not confirmed that every country covered has already lost 4K and HDR. “Parts of Europe” remains the accurate description.
Why This Is Even Worse for Consumers
The February downgrade removed a premium HDR format. The July change removes the entire UHD and HDR presentation.
Affected viewers are no longer simply losing Dolby Vision’s dynamic tone mapping. They are dropping from 3840 x 2160 resolution with high dynamic range to a reported maximum of 1920 x 1080 Full HD with standard dynamic range. On a large OLED, MiniLED television or projector, the difference can be obvious in fine detail, brightness, shadow information and color.
The pricing makes the situation harder to defend. Disney’s German website still advertises Premium at a regular price of €15.99 per month or €159.90 annually, with video quality up to 4K UHD. Standard costs €10.99 per month or €109.90 annually and tops out at 1080p Full HD.
Premium still includes other advertised benefits, including four simultaneous streams and Dolby Atmos where available, so it has not become completely identical to Standard. Its defining picture-quality advantage, however, is temporarily missing for affected customers.
Disney has not said whether subscribers will receive automatic credits, partial refunds or easier downgrades. The company says it shares customer frustration and is working to restore support, but “as quickly as possible” is not a date.

What About the United States and Canada?
The current UPC injunctions do not apply in the United States, Canada or the United Kingdom. North American Disney+ services continue to advertise 4K UHD and HDR on qualifying Premium plans, and there is no confirmed evidence that this downgrade is spreading beyond the affected European markets.
The larger warning still travels. Streaming quality depends not only on your television, internet connection and subscription tier, but also on licensing agreements and court orders consumers cannot control. A service can remove a feature after customers have already paid for the hardware and subscription required to use it.
A 4K Blu-ray does not become a 1080p disc because two corporations failed to settle a patent dispute. Streaming remains more convenient, but ownership retains one feature no subscription can guarantee: the specifications do not change after checkout.
The Bottom Line
Disney may win an appeal, reach a licensing agreement or deploy a technical workaround. Until then, affected Premium subscribers are paying for a tier still advertised around 4K UHD while receiving 1080p SDR video.
That is not a minor codec adjustment. It is a material reduction in service, and Disney should either restore the advertised quality quickly or reduce the bill until it can.
Related Reading:
- Is Disney+ Losing Dolby Vision Dynamic HDR Streaming Due To A Patent Dispute?
- Dolby Vision 2 Has Been Announced: Here’s What We Know So Far
- Premium TV Streaming Plans are Getting Messy: Prices Up, Quality Down
- WTF Is Dolby Vision?
ORT
August 1, 2026 at 8:42 pm
Disney and HBO Max both owe me an apology. Until I receive that, I will not subscribe to either service. They tried to FARCE their B.S. upon not only us but especially so, our children. Too bad. I enjoy the 3 original Star Wars and the Indiana Jones films up to and including the “Last Crusade”.
The FARCE is indeed strong in those idiots.
ORT
Ian White
August 1, 2026 at 9:51 pm
Disney has totally lost me. My little Jawas dragged my ass to see the latest film with that dirtbag Pascal and the little muppet. It was the worst Star Wars film so far. It made “Attack of the Clones” look like “On the Waterfront.”
It is also the lowest grossing SW film so far. Which made me happy. “Solo” and “Rogue One” were vastly superior.
The FARCE indeed.
Disney pulling this on their customers in Europe is kinda insane. Pay us but don’t expect the product that we’re charging you for.
IW
ORT
August 2, 2026 at 9:55 pm
Ian, I can here the voice of Pedro as The Mundanealorian now, “I coulda been a pretenduh!” I shake his dust from my feet.
ORT