Meridian Audio today introduced Explorer2, a $300 portable, compact and rugged USB DAC capable of delivering best-in-class audio performance, including compatibility with MQA ‘Master Quality Authenticated’ lossless audio files.
Building on the original, award-winning Explorer, the new model features a significantly more powerful DSP capability than it predecessor. It is this advanced Meridian-designed digital signal processing, which enables Explorer2 to decode and render the MQA format, delivering authenticated master-quality replay.
Designed and hand made in the UK, Explorer2 employs audiophile-grade components throughout. The elegant all-metal enclosure houses a 6-layer circuit board and the compact unit – it weighs just 50 g – up-samples all input signal to 176.4/192kHz and includes Meridian’s proprietary apodising filter, which helps deliver a clearer, more transparent sound. The up-sampling and apodising technologies are inherited from Meridian’s award winning Reference 800 Series and they correct errors in the original digital recordings while helping improve the quality of standard recordings.
Explorer2 is simple to use and install. It connects to virtually any computer with a USB port – drivers are provided Linux, Macintosh, and Windows operating systems – and a trio of LED indicators show the status of the unit, confirming the current sample rate.
Commenting on the launch of Explorer2, Rayner Sheridan, Director of Marketing at Meridian Audio said “Its effect on audio performance is entirely at odds with its compact dimensions, and its ability to unlock MQA lossless audio files makes Explorer2 the go-to USB DAC for those who want to hear their music exactly as it was recorded.”
- MQA lossless audio certified
- Meridian quality from a pocket DAC
- Includes USB DAC and headphone amplifier
- Full range of Meridian Resolution Enhancement technologies
- Asynchronous USB Audio Class 2.0 compliant
- Plugs into any computer with a USB port
- Exceptionally high resolution (24-bit/192kHz)
- 6-layer circuit board with audiophile-grade components throughout
- Advanced headphone control, ideal for sensitive headphones
- Makes any music files sound its best
- Compact, elegant and rugged metal enclosure
- Cable connection to avoid motherboard stress
- Hand made in the UK
Price and Availability
Meridian Explorer2 DAC is available now for $299.