Meridian announced the Explorer USB DAC, a pocket-sized device delivers best-in-class sound from any computer for private headphone listening or full system playback. Explorer replaces a computer’s sound card with a USB-powered DAC featuring Meridian’s award-winning resolution enhancement technologies, and makes any audio file, from MP3 to high resolution, sound its very best.
Plug the Explorer into a Mac, Linux or Windows computer and experience quality far beyond that of any sound card. Explorer is a fully asynchronous, USB audio class 2 DAC for the ultimate in audio quality. With premium parts such as high quality filter capacitors, 6-layer pc board, and elegant all metal enclosure, the Explorer, which is hand assembled at Meridian’s Cambridge factory, is engineered from the same DNA as Meridian’s 800 series Reference products to ensure the very best sonic performance.
- 24bit/192kHz native conversion capability
- Separate low-jitter crystal oscillators for 44k1 and 48k based sample rates
- Asynchronous data transfer
- 6 layer PCB
- USB2 mini B socket – Plug and Play with MAC (Windows driver available)
- Direct-coupled outputs
- Variable line out – Full Analogue Volume Control for headphones or powered loudspeakers
- Headphone amp
- Fixed line out – 3.5mm connects directly to audio system
- Optical digital output – full resolution for receivers or DACS (up to 96kHz)
- Elegant metal case – durable and increases audio performance
- Lights to indicate incoming sample rate
- Soft convenient USB cable provided for ease of placement to protect computer mother board from mechanical stress
- Hand assembled at Meridian’s UK headquarters
Price and Availability
The Meridian Explorer USB DAC is available for $299.