Acurus announced a powerful new 400-watt (200-watt x 2) digital integrated pre-amp/amplifier with 2.1 out, named Aries. Priced at an affordable entry point below separates, Aries incorporates a cool running, ultra-low distortion class-D amplifier design with full-color touch interface for ease of operation and excellent visibility.
A sleek precision-machined aluminum front panel features a full-color 4.3″ touch screen which delivers all necessary user adjustments and feedback through one concise view. A simple, solid-feeling IR remote is included but can be set aside in favor of 2-way control through the user’s iOS or Android-based mobile device and a home network connection. Audio inputs and outputs include a pair of 60-Amp speaker binding posts, balanced XLR inputs and four sets of unbalanced RCA inputs. A line-level 2.1 input is included for supporting down mixed TV audio, computer interface and/or game system audio and a 2.1 output is provided for driving a sub-sat speaker configuration either with internal or external amplification.
The preamplifier section features a modern low-noise, low-distortion topology. A full complement of control connections is provided including IR, RS-232, Ethernet and 12V trigger. Acurus’ proprietary E2C technology enables iOS and Android control over a standard home network and replicates all front panel control and setup functions with no app download required. Finally, an option card slot on the rear panel supports customized features such as DAC, USB and future I/O upgrades.
According to Rick Santiago, Indy Audio Labs CEO “Since introducing a brand new generation of Acurus models in late 2011, our customers have asked us for a simple, integrated solution that can deliver the emotional audio experience that usually only separates provide. The Aries represents our answer to that call. We believe we’ve come up with a compelling product that sounds exceptional enough for discerning ears yet is simple enough to configure and operate for the casual listener.”
Price and Availability
The Acurus Aries Integrated Amplifier will be available in December 2013 for $2,799.
- max output: 3.5Vrms, 7Vrms (Sub out)
- THD: < 0.007% (20Hz – 20kHz)
- frequency response: 20Hz to 20kHz +/- 0.1 dB
- SNR: 120 dB A-weighted
- audio inputs: 1 XLR L/R pair, 4 RCA L/R pairs, 1 L/R RCA pair with 1 RCA sub in (2.1 in)
- audio outputs: 1 L/R RCA pair with 1 RCA sub in (2.1 out)
- expansion port: optional DAC input card
- display: 4.3″ touch-sensitive TFT 480×272 QVGA, RGB 65k colors
- control: Ethernet, RS-232, 12V trigger (1 in, 2 out), IR input
Power Amplifier Specifications
- power output: 200W into 8Ω x 2 (400W into 4Ω x 2)
- THD: < 0.05% (<0.08%)
- frequency response: 20Hz to 20kHz +/- 0.15dB
- SNR: 118 dB A-weighted
- damping factor: >1000 @ 50Hz
- connections: gold-plated, insulated 60A speaker binding posts
Full System Specifications
- power consumption: standby: <1W, idle: 40W, max: 1440W
- physical: 3.5″(8.89 cm) x 17″(43.2 cm) x 13″(33.0 cm), 17 lbs (7.71 kg)
- optional: rack mount kit ARM-4
- colors: black satin anodized finish laser-etched, clear anodized logo
- shipping carton: 10″(25.4 cm) x 22″(55.9 cm) x 20″(50.9 cm) 23 lbs (10.4 kg)