Archive through April 04, 2005Sydney100
Archive through February 08, 2005RICK ROYCE100
Closed: New threads not accepted on this page

Bronze Member
Username: Jeremy_m70

US

Post Number: 24
Max,

I haven't had a popping sound but that sound file you sent me awhile back is 100% copy of what my 50" was doing. I first noticed mine while watching a DVD. I can say 100% that mine is caused by the TV itself because after I turned off the TV sound option and ran the audio cables directly to the surround sound receiver I no longer had a problem. Orginally, I had the audio running from the satellite receiver to the TV to the surround to help with the audio/picture lag. The distorted sound came through my surround also when I done this. My surround sound is an older RCA model and doesn't allow me to set a delay so that the sound would sync with the TV picture. Therefore, I'm 100% sure the TV itself is the problem, atleast in my case!!!

Bronze Member

US

Post Number: 25
Max,

I forgot to say the sound problem happened with satellite, off-air ant, dvd, and my xbox 360 when I had audio running to tv before surround sound and I believe I would happen to any input running to our TV's.

Username: Max_w

Post Number: 5
Jeremy, I'm sure you're right about the main sound issue, I've had it with both my RCA DLP's although less so with the 61 inch. RCA certainly thought it was their problem when I complained and they tried unsuccessfully to have it fixed. That's when they offered to replace the 50 inch with a 61 inch. That was July 2005 and I was told they had no 50 inch of the same model, but now in retrospect I wonder if it was because they KNEW that model was a dog and the 61 inch was more reliable. It did succeed in getting me off RCA's back until their warranty expired three months later. My serviceman said since the replacement was new it would have the full 12 month RCA warranty but I never got to test them on that so I don't know if RCA would have honored that or not. The one time I did need service (defective remote control) I dealt directly with Best Buy and they mailed the new remote to me.

As for the popping sounds, at first I feared there was a short in the TV somewhere and it was alarming. Then I learned that changing channels would sometimes make it go away and when it got really bad I'd turn the TV off and sometimes would reboot it. I noticed the popping on all inputs but discovered that as long as the cable was physically connected to the TV it could happen. Only when the cable inputs were physically removed would they stop so I was pretty sure that pointed to some kind of problem with our cable. The recent recording of the popping sounds on a DVD cinched my belief, I am positive now it's a cable issue although it does appear harmless. The fact it happens much less often with the 61 inch tells me it has something to do with how the TV interacts with cable but I am convinced the source is the cable company.

One thing I've noticed about the 61 inch is that it is very quiet when booting up. Unless the room is very quiet I don't hear it at all and know it's on only by the blue power light and menu. The DVR makes more noise than the TV. Maybe somehow RCA got some of the issues involved in the 50 inch cured in the 61 inch?

For those who didn't see my earlier post from months ago, the two models I've had are the HD50LPW162 and the HD61LPW165.

Bronze Member
Username: Cheneyp

CT

Post Number: 25
"One oddity I learned about my unit is that if the power is interrupted while the set is on, it will remember that state and come back on when power is restored. That's a good thing to remember if anyone has an extended power outage when the TV was on. I'm curious if Frank or someone else can shed some light on that subject, would it be better to pull the plug on the set until after power is restored or should it be left in? If the owner is gone when the power is restored then the TV would be on until someone could turn it off. I'm wondering if that was programmed into the set by design and, if so, why? I double checked and my TV was not set to turn on automatically after an outage and I've been through other outages when the set was off and it stayed off upon restoration of the power so I'm curious."

Max - I had this issue with my 50W42 set where we had a power outage and the TV came on when power was restored. Note that the set was off and it came on when power returned! Luckily, we had only been out of the house for about an hour when this happened. Glad it didn't happen the first day of a two week vacation! There is a menu setting (don't remember where) that gives you the option of what action to take when power is restored after a power outage - I selected "Off". I think the default is either its original state or "ON" when power is restored. Hopefully your RCA has a similar menu....

Silver Member
Username: Jumpback

Post Number: 127
Frank...
Surely, your nose grew a foot whilst you wrote, "RCA DLP are not that much of a problem!"

If ever a part showed up in a month for anyone of my RCA televisions, I would have done cartwheels. Three to four months were the norm and usually after that time RCA would fess up and declare, "We have performed a 'World Wide' search" and no part was found. I have sinced determined RCA's World Wide Search consists of them opening a window and shouting, "Are there any parts out there?"

You speculate we must be in areas where no service from RCA techs are available. Well, I happen to live in the Dallas/Ft.Worth area. Not small by any means. There is a list of names that RCA will provide for service..ONE HALF OF THESE DO NOT WORK ON RCA PRODUCTS. Probably for the same reason very few big box stores or tv retailers do not even carry RCA televisions.

You also wonder how hard it must be to diagnose a problem with 5 (supposed) items in a DLP. Well, it must be damn hard since every repair person who stumbled into my abode started the diagnosis discussion with, "It could be the lamp, but then again it could be the ballast, then again it could be the light engine, or maybe its the board". It was always a guessing game which ended up waiting months on end for parts.

Picture tube?? The offer to protect my picture tube came from RCA just prior to the warranty coming up for expiration. I did not know there wasnt any picture tube. And I guess RCA doesnt know either. I called them at the time and said I am interested in purchasing an extended warranty on the entire set and they said that was not possible just for the tube.

Forgive me for not feeling "Thankful" that I was subjected to the horror show known as RCA.

Post Number: 6
Cheneyp, after power was restored I checked my menu to see if I'd accidentally toggled the feature to have it come on after the restoration of power and it was toggled off so I'm guessing it's something with the memory, it remembers being on and that is the state to which it will return if power is interrupted.

My power outage was during cold weather and by the time the power company fixed the problem the temperature inside my home was 60 degrees and I'd already made up my mind I was NOT going to turn on the TV until the temperature returned to normal. I didn't figure that would matter much but figured to not subject the TV to running in cooler than normal temperatures as a precaution. It was a genuine surprise to see the TV had come on by itself and I guess the cooler temperatures made no difference, which is nice to know.

I still sometimes have a slight flickering problem as if the contrast is being rapidly toggled back and forth one notch. So far I've not been able to find any common denominator for why it is happening other than it does appear to be the TV and not one of the components. It seldom lasts long so given my experience with the poor quality of RCA replacement parts I've decided to not request a service call unless it gets worse. Maybe when the bulb eventually dies and is replaced it will go away but I'm not counting on that. I'm hoping to get another good year or so out of this thing and then go with a Samsung or another brand after VERY CAREFULLY researching other users' experiences and ratings. No matter how long the current set performs, I will NOT buy another RCA product. Even if it performs perfectly that'll be one out of three RCA's that has. The 50 inch I originally bought as well as a 13 inch received as a gift were duds. Now if someone wants to GIVE me one, sure I'll take it, but no way will I lay out good money for one ever again. It's sad too because I'm an older guy and can remember when RCA was considered top of the line in quality and value.

Bronze Member

US

Post Number: 26
Hello every again,

I had a mistake on a post for March 9 2007

"From my research, the Thomson (RCA) office is located in the Sandiego area inwhich the BBB office @ www.sandiego.bbb.org/ handles the complaints for our manufactor."

Corrected Manufactor office is in Indianapolis, IN listed as Thomson Inc (Thomson Consumer Electronics). The listed company as Thomson (RCA) in San Diego handles (Photographic Equipment & Supplies - Retail). Sorry for the mistake. When filing a complaint the the words i have above in (---) did not appear. Sorry if this has caused someone a problem.

Bronze Member
Username: Turbo15479

Post Number: 73
MaxW,
I do not mean to post something in here that does not belong but I think this does. If you ae going to buy anothr brand do not buy a JVC. The bulbs are not lasting as long as thy should plus some other problems. There is a thread as big as the RCA thread about them. There is one person on thee that says they are the best but everyone else is having problems. Makes you wonder who he works for. Samsung seems to be good although I cannot tell you this through experience. The have a model HL-S5697W out that has no bulb, it uses Led's. The price has come down and I a looking at that model. I hope nobody gets mad because of this post, I am just trying to forewarn someone of a bad product. Bob

Post Number: 7
Bob, thanks for posting that info. My RCA is still working so I will postpone replacement until it fails and can't be easily repaired. As far as a replacement brand goes, I have no experience with JVC so will take your word on it. Phillips is another brand I personally avoid due to problems with one of their smaller sets a few years ago. And a satellite tech friend of mine says Sony isn't what it's cracked up to be on TVs although he thinks their camcorder products are okay. That kind of narrows down my choices.

Another friend bought a 56 inch Samsung DLP at Christmas and he is happy with it so far. If its good performance continues over a long period of time I think that will cinch it as far as Samsung is concerned. I also think my next TV will be an LCD. My overall experience with DLPs hasn't been good so I doubt I buy another of any brand.

By the way, I found this site last night:
http://www.netnoise.com/boycott_rca/rcabook2007-8.html
RCA's popularity continues to grow!!!!

Username: Rcaidiot

Post Number: 4
Hi all,

Here is my latest and hopefully last update. Sooner than expected, I had a message from a local service center that my new TV had arrived and I needed to call to set up a delivery time. Well, that delivery came yesterday, so I am back up and running.

With the exception of the long wait (2 months) and the numerous phone calls I had to make, I am pretty satisfied (at least right now). I feel fortunate to have only waited 2 months after hearing many of your posts.

So, I will keep my fingers crossed and take all precautions I can to make this set last. I'm almost afraid to turn it on, and when it's on, I'm afraid to turn it off. Not the way I should be enjoying HD, right?.

Well, good luck to the rest of you who have had horrible RCA experiences - unfortunately, I feel that I may be posting back here sooner that I want to.

RCAidiot.

Username: John_holmes

Post Number: 1
HI, I'm new on this site. I appreciate the quality of the posts and topics on this site.

Does anyone have a lamp to sell or have advice where to purchase one? I am looking for RCA DLP LAMP.

thanks

Bronze Member

US

Post Number: 27
RCA idiot, Congrats on new tv. Hope everything works out.

John, What model do you have?? Look on TV for the Service Model Number sticker. Take note of model and lamp type. My model has the actual part number on the lamp housing also. Hopefully it is a lamp that you can actual find. I bought mine on ebay alot cheaper (1/3)than RCA sells them for (When they have them ofcourse).

Post Number: 2
I am looking for the lamp part # 260962. I have the HD61LPW42 (HD61LPW42YX6).

I have looked on Ebay, just checking here first. I have always found better prices and parts from forums. I'm on several Truck forums which are invaluable when purchasing and installing mods.

thanks again

Username: Watyylxx

Hi John Holmes,
You can find the lamp on ebay. My user name is: watyylxx.
I am selling the lamps for all RCA brand.
Thanks.

Post Number: 3
Charles, thanks. I purchased one a minute ago from you:

Username: Helimd

First, thanks to Jumpback for his input. I've just installed a new color wheel and.......the problem still exists. Jump, you were right. The uncommanded picture on/off has now taken a different turn. Perhaps the power supply caps are the problem, as was stated on a previous post. Where are they located, and is this a part that could be replaced easily? Thanks

Good morning, everyone
One of the things I forgot to mention in my original post concerned the bulb. Several months ago I replaced the bulb, and the set has never been the same. The warm-up time has increased, it makes a bit more noise, etc. I'm now wondering if the bulb could be defective. With no filament, could the bulb have a defect that would allow it to start up, stop, start, stop, and so on? Any thoughts? I'm about ready to throw in the towel and part this thing out.

Bronze Member
Username: Jagtech

Lethbridge, Alberta Canada

Post Number: 12
Well, I've just finished going through the power supply, suspecting bad caps. All power supply voltages are exactly as listed on the troubleshooting voltage charts, so looks like the problem is elsewhere. Can anyone tell me what the "TCO" is, as referred to in the schematics?
Its not getting the "lamp enable" feed from the light engine to the ballast board, so will pursue that next. Probably just chasing my tail, tho....

Username: Drifters13

Hi all.
While looking for info on my RCA HD61LPW163YX2 ,I came across this site. Thought I give it a try. So heres my RCA story. The lamp popped after 2+ years must be well over 4000 hours. Found a replacement osram lamp 265103 w/o housing the only differance is the arc gap 1.3 on replacement 1.0 on orignal, the lamp gurru said it doesnt matter and the higher gap would burn cooler , OK, seemed fine, 35 days later the set trys to start the lamp light dim and shuts down and does the 5 flash dance thing. It repeats this again ,again. Pulled the lamp it had a small blister on the filament sent it back under warranty as defective, I hope. My question is .Could this be a ballast/power supply problem? Where mite I locate the ballast part# /or part if needed for this set.
Thank
Mike

Username: Kito2112

Post Number: 10
Charles,

Do you carry the bulb for an RCA HD61THW263? I believe it's a 265109, If I remember right off the top of my head. I can't seem to find a replacement bulb for my extra housing and they want almost $500 for a new lamp assembly.

Username: Jtherron

Hi all,

Thought I would post a quick update. Been out of the country for a work trip, but as you know I returned the bulb to RCA and my TV still doesn't work. My closest service center for the TV is about 45 mi. away, in a town much smaller than mine (odd). RCA told me to ring them, and they told me that I would have to pay a per-mile charge for them to come to me, as I was out of the service area. He said to ring RCA first and tell them that info and see if they would foot the charge. I called RCA and they said that the Customer Relations Dept. would have to approve the repair and they would call me in the next couple of days. That was last Thursday, so now I'm waiting for the call. If I don't hear anything back by tomorrow, I'm going to call again to check up on the status.

Interesting note, the service center guy was cool and told me that my TV model (HD50LPW175) has been over half of his service calls (he services the Atlanta area as well). He said he hoped I bought the extended warranty from Best Buy (I didn't, it was over $500), because he just didn't see these TVs lasting long. He said he has had lots of communication with RCA and is trying to just get these models replaced instead of fixed because of all the troubles. Hopefully he'll help me out. He said that the 'lamp repositioning' was BS! He also said that the ballast and light engine were most of the troubles, and that he hasn't seen the power supply/capacitor issue. Anyways, I'll keep everyone updated. Hope you all are having a good week (and actually get to use your TVs)!

Bronze Member

US

Post Number: 28
Josh,

About the "lamp repositioning", was your serviceman told to try this by RCA or was my information from my serviceman a fluke thing?? RCA denied what was told to me by my serviceman. I'm wondering what part of the "lamp repositioning was BS" the fact that it don't work or if RCA is telling them to do this?? Also what service center are you using, i'm 1 1/2 hour from atlanta and my service centers service is about as good as RCA's customer service. I'm looking to hear back from the BBB about my trouble soon, maybe I will get something resolved and I might need a "Good Repair Service Center".

Interesting note, my service center claims to service the Atlanta area also, and claims to have only replaced 5 light-engines (A1l Brands)last year, one of which being mine. I also told him that the HD50LPW175 has been having alot of problems and he more-or-less laughed like i'm the only one with these problems with this model?!?!!? I was in BestBuy in Chattanooga TN, last weekend and was told that this model has been a major problem and they thought the model should have been recalled. After 7 of the last 9 months watching TV in the bedroom I purchased a Sony 60" 1080i for the same price as the RCA and got a 750 dollar gift card because it was the floor model. I went to purchase the Sammy but for 500 bucks less and the giftcard, plus the 2 yr part warrenty I couldn't resist. It has been the floor model for 4 months so I know it has already lasted longer than my RCA (lol). I couldn't be happier unless I bought it and not the RCA!!!!!

Username: Somersfun

I have watched this forum since my HD50LPW175 went out Jan. 15, 2007, after only 8 months. Went the same route as everyone else. I will spare you the grim details since it is the same as everyone else. However, my tip for everyone is this, once I contacted the Indiana Better Business Bureau and the New Jersey Attorney Generals Office for Consumer Affairs(state where I live), things happened. I went to the Indiana BBB because that is where the warranty was registered. A week and a half after I made these contacts, I called RCA and they immediately offered a new set. I was stunned. On March 17th, three months after the old set went dead, I had a replacement. It is a Scenium 50". All is good for now. The odd thing is that this new set takes the same lamp as the old set which a "global search" for two and a half months could not locate. I am done with RCA products of any kind. If this set goes down, I will not fight with them again. I will buy from another company. Thanks for all of the good information that is posted on this site. It helped me fight the fight.

Post Number: 6
Hello, all
I just saw an EBay auction for an outfit in Ft. Smith, Arkansas that will rebuild your light engine. I have tried for a couple of days to contact them, with no luck. Anybody have any dealings with these folks? Any knowledge of other service people that will overhaul the light engines? Thanks
Mike Dye

Silver Member

Post Number: 130
Jeremy,
Boy you brought back fond memories of watching tv in the bedroom. I swear every time I passed by the dead RCA in the living room it was laughing at me.

Username: Watyylxx

Greg Sarlo,
265109 is specially for infocus, I am sorry I can not source it.
Thanks,
Charles

Hello, everyone
Well, after a lengthy chat with a technician, we determined that a new inverter (circuit board behind the light assembly) would probably fix the problem I'm having with my set. I ordered the part, installed it last night, and .......problem still exists. It cycles on and off without any input from me.

However, I wanted to find out if anybody had access to a service manual for an HD61LPW42. I noticed a couple of things last night that I hadn't seen before. First, when the set powers down, the green power light flashes 5 times. Also, when the set powers up, also uncommanded, it returns to the Antenna A input, versus the HD setting where I had left it.

Ideas, anyone?

Username: Ed_littell

Michael I am having the same problem with the power on and off. I have a 50LPW42 which should be the same parts as your 61. Screen lights up and color wheel screams. I was hopeing that a new color wheel would take care of the problem. From what you are saying it might be some other problem. I hope some one in here can point us both in the right direction.

Post Number: 8
Good morning, Ed
Sorry you're having these problems, too. I think it's safe to say that most of the ongoing problems involving these RCA sets can be blamed on a couple of different items. As somebody else stated, they are very simple TV's.

I replaced my color wheel for two reasons. First, it was making a lot of noise. It also is one of the easier items to change out. Now, availability is another issue. I finally found a company in Florida that had them in stock and I installed it a few days later. Noise went away but the uncommanded shutdown still existed.

Just for everyone's information....when I first took the inspection cover off my set, the one thing that became very apparent was the condition of the inside case. These things are dust magnets! I live clean, or so I thought. It took me an hour just to clean out the case so I could work on this beast. Could this cause enough heat buildup to shorten the component life? I would surely think so. Install some mesh over the vents or just plan on doing some annual maintenance on the inner case to extend the life on your set. Not just RCA's, but all of the big DLP's.

To give you an update; today (Monday) I am going to have a service tech come out and tell me what to do about this POS. If we can't come up with an inexpensive solution to this problem, I will be going into the parts business immediately. Included in this sale will be a brand new color wheel, bulb, inverter, and several other used, but servicable, parts. I'll be in touch. Wish me luck with the tech.
MD

Post Number: 9
Greetings,
Just got off the phone with the RCA tech rep who, aside from being impatient, was helpful. It turns out that the five flashes displayed on the power button are an indicator of a lamp problem. As I mentioned in an earlier post, I always thought that a lamp worked, or it didn't. No middle ground. Boy, was I wrong.

So, I just ordered a new lamp, again. Let's see what happens in a few days. I'll keep everybody posted.
MD

Username: Ed_littell

Hey Michael

LAMP PROBLEM?????? I always thought that if the lamp lit that all was good!? My shut down problem started several months after I replaced my lamp with one of the Philips with the 1.0 arc I got from ebay. It would run for hours before cycleing of then on again. Now it lasts minutes and will cycle on and off as long as the power is on. Lamp lites and I get a good picture every time. It just cycles off so soon its a pain to even try to watch. If it is just a simple lamp problem I would be very interested to know about it. In frustration I have moved my DLP to the basement so I don't have to look at it in the living room any more. Also if you know of a good source for lamps and a color wheel let me know. I am not going to throw a lot of cash at that monster. hehehe

thanks Ed

Bronze Member
Username: Robertsmu

Post Number: 13
It's important to carefully match the arc gap when selecting replacement lamps. There is a difference between 1.0 and 1.3 in the operation of the lamp. The "lamp guru" is incorrect stating there is no difference, as the current has to jump across the arc to spark the lamp and a bigger gap means that it is harder to do that (especially when the circuitry has been designed to bridge a 1.0 gap)

If the gap is the same, then it most likely is not the culprit to cycling. You may want to inspect your lamp for cracks, defects or other anomalies.

Good morning,
In response to Ed's question, I found the color wheel at Express Repair Center in Miami. They had just gotten some in stock when I ordered mine a couple of weeks ago. Hope that helps.

Robert, the lamp that I bought to replace my original was the same exact part number as the original. Now, the tech that I spoke to yesterday informed me that some of the lamps that are circulating around are, in fact, rejects from the factory that were purchased, in bulk, as scrap. Apparently the folks that build the lamps have a different acceptance criteria than some of the other vendors that are selling them. So, how do you tell the difference? The technician I talked with said that the only way to ensure that the lamp you have is a quality one is to purchase it from RCA. I really have a hard time believing that but......... We'll see how this next lamp works out. At least I have the guarantee that it can be returned for a full refund if my problems don't go away. I'll let you know. Later
MD

Username: Scrappy_2000

Any town, Any state Usa

I wil be changing the color wheel on a rca HD61LPW42 in a few days I got mine from the same place listed in the above post. I have changed the bulb and the ballast and am hoping the color wheel is not a problem. I have looked for the last hour or so and can not find any info on the procedure. Please help.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
It's a fairly straightforward procedure. Just remember that you're going to need a Torx screwdriver to remove the three screws. The color wheel is just in front of the lamp assembly and will involve unplugging two leads and removing the 3 screws. An important note here...remove the bottom screw last and pull the color wheel out slowly with the screw still in the mounting hole. I made the mistake of removing the bottom screw first and it fell into the long light tube. Needless to say, it was a bittch getting that screw out of the light tube.

Anyway, once you get the wheel out, you'll notice a small circuit board attached. Remove that board and install it on the new color wheel. Then just install the wheel, being careful to not scratch the wheel itself during installation. Plug in the leads, install the back cover, and you're set. Good luck
MD

Any town, Any state Usa

Thanks it seems simple Your post will sure help.

Bronze Member

Hello, again
Amazingly, replacing the bulb solved my problems with the set. I'm having a real tough time believing this. Two weeks ago, I was ready to turn this thing into an aquarium, but after spending quite a bit of dough on parts, I am happy. Just watched a HiDef Law and Order and am impressed, as I was two years ago when this set was new.

So, be careful when purchasing a new lamp. As I mentioned in an earlier post, the rumor was that some of these so-called "new" lamps on EBay are not what they're cracked up to be. Mine lasted less than two months. Talk to Dan at DLP Lamp Source in San Diego if you are in need of a lamp. Great guy to work with, and he'll let you return the lamp if it doesn't solve the problem. At least he gave me that deal. Good luck to all. I'll keep monitoring the posts in the event I can be of assistance.
MD

Username: Trifics

Portland, Oregon USA

Wow! I can't believe I found a website about the 50" RCA Scenium DLP. Tonight we experienced our first problem. The on light is on, sound is coming through our stereo system, but there is no picture. We can't get the set to turn off. We keep pushing the button on the set, and on the remote, and nothing. We have tried to manually reset it by disconnecting the electrical. But still nothing. We purchased this for Christmas 2005, but never connected it until last March. No kids in the house, just two adults, so it hasn't been overly used.

We cannot figure out why it won't turn off. The bulb can't be the problem. There must be some link between the set staying on and no picture.

I purchased this at Costo. After reading all your comments I guess I shouldn't have bought it. There was no offer for extended insurance on the set. I can't afford a repair bill at this time.

Any suggestion as to what the problem might be, or what I should do. I appreciate it.
Tom in Portland, OR

Username: Ron_in_illinois

Loami, IL U.S.

Well, it has been a while since I was on the forum. I have had my replacement HD61LPW175 for just about sixteen months. When I got up this morning (Friday the 13th, I know) I found all the display lights on. After a few minutes they would blink 5 times then stay on. This means the lamp needs replacing. When I got home from work I put the new lamp I bought when RCA replaced my old set with this one in, plugged it back in, and lo and behold, the lights blinked 5 times then stayed on solid. My first RCA DLP I had for about 19 months - 3 of which it was down (with a lot of phone calls between me, the service people, and RCA) before RCA admitted they couldn't supply the parts to fix it and would replace it (with another RCA DLP of course). I am NOT going thru that BS again! I just went out to Best Buy and bought a new Sony SXRD and the 4 year service warranty. They will deliver it Sunday and haul the trash, I mean the old set, away. I am through with RCA / Thompson electric products.

Bronze Member

Tom in Portland- Costco is the best place you could have bought this set. Their return policy is basically "no questions asked". Take it back and get a new one!

BTW, I lived in PTD and shopped at the Costco there myself...you should have no problem.

Silver Member

Post Number: 131
Ron, Just in case you havent tossed your latest RCA you might call RCA and get a refund in lieu of yet one more DLP replacement destined to malfunction.

I had three replacement sets in a four year span and finally could not take it anymore and demanded a refund. How this company can stay in business is beyond me.

I have got to say, even after having my Samsung for almost a year flawlessly working, I still have chills every time I hit the 'On' button or 'Off' button or there is a Direct TV interruption. The time I spent with RCA on the phone and the almost one year time frame where I had an dead RCA set staring me in the face has made me nervous where TV's are concerned.

Username: Ron_in_illinois

Loami, IL U.S.

Jumpback - It is too late. Best Buy has already hauled the trash out. I had no place to store it while trying to deal with RCA. Besides, I just didn't want to put up with their BS. I just consider it a lesson learned. I did get about 2 and a half years of viewing for my money.

Bronze Member
Username: Sjones1

Don't spend $200-$400 on your RCA lamp. Discount-Merchant.com has these lamps for under $200! Here is a link:

I haven't bought one of these RCA lamps, but I did buy a Samsung Lamp from them and it arrived in two days, worked perfect, and was the original lamp (not any aftermarket or generic lamp).

Your mileage may vary, but I love the guys at Discount-Merchant.com

S.Jones

Username: Ovadoggvo

Steve,
Our service center buys from those guys all the time, then bills the manufacturer for the lamps. The reason is the pricing is so low (lower than dealer cost from the manufacturer) and it gets to us the next day! I guess we are lucky that they are in california... but still it's like they ship them out the same day.

Great service and if you decide to call them, ask for Ali ... the guy knows his lamps like no other. Sometimes we don't know which lamps are compatible, we just shoot him a photo and he ships us the replacement the same day.. I couldn't be happier with their service and pricing.

Username: Darrell_cheney

Chester, VA USA

Anyone had a problem with sound having a hum on an RCA Scenium 50 inch dlp unit on imputs 3 or 4 component inputs? My set, which is about four years old now and has run perfect until a few days ago when it developed this hum in the audio. It if very apparent on the hd component feed from my cable dvr but I have already replaced that with no luck. I replaced the cables with no luck. I moved from input 3 to 4 with no luck either. I just can not seem to get rid of this annoying hum. Any ideas guys. I am about to disassemble the input panel to see if maybe a ground on the back plane has come undone.

Username: Mac1353535

USA

doesnt sound like the TV,,
try adjusting volume on cable box up and turn volume on tv down.. they have 2 separate audio adjustments.
Frank

Username: Kak

Richardson, TX

I have an RCA Scenium HDLP50W151YX1 purchased online in 2004 from a site in California. It's run fine up until this year when I had a loud noise I thought was a bad fan. Turns out it was the color wheel. I have replaced the color wheel about 3 months ago. I now have another problem. The set comes on and sound is present, then a picture which looks as it normally did. After 5-10 seconds I get no picture. Then it cycles and I get a quick picture and sound and then shut down again. I've removed the back cover to see what was going on.
Here is what I found.

Turn on set. After a few seconds color wheel spins up. Lamp comes on and fan for lamp runs as well as fan on bottom of Tocom unit.
After 15 seconds or so, lamp shuts down and then color wheel stops a few seconds later. Seconds later the lamp fan and Tocom unit fan stop.

Then there is a pause of 30 seconds or so and the color wheel pulses then starts up and the other two fans start up and the lamp comes on
strong for about 2 seconds and then dims a bit and shuts down.

This sequence continues on and on until I shut off the TV.

Have I got a lamp going bad? On each startup it starts fairly bright then dims a bit and then shuts off.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 18
Kent,
I'm 90% sure that your lamp is bad. There are times where the TV stays on for 5min to 30min and then it turns off. The lamp filament is worn out and the lamp needs to be replaced. Here is the link to the most reliable and cheapest place to buy a lamp for your set:
http://www.discount-merchant.com/RCA-D44LPW134YX1-Original-OEM-Lamp-P-N-265866-p /rca-projection-dlp-lamp-260962.htm&Click=1460

The lamp above is a newer model for your original bulb and should last longer. Check out this thread for more information:
http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/video-displays-processors/4403-samsung-dl p-bulb-replacement.html

If it's not your lamp, you'll have a spare anyways! You WILL need one someday.

I highly recommend them and they are our preferred lamp supplier. They are also available by phone I believe. Let us know how it goes!

Username: Kak

Richardson, TX

It was the lamp. I ended up buying from a site on E-bay called Kennedy Webster Electric in Chicago. They had 50 for sale at a "buy it now" price and also a "Make offer". I made an offer of $125 and they accepted. Got the lamp today 2nd day air UPS. It was an Osram. I took the old lamp out and installed the Osram and everything works fine now. Set comes on quicker than before and I'm now happy with it.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 30
Was the lamp a Philips lamp?

I hope you didn't end up with an osram or LTI.. If it's philips it would say it on the bulb.

I recommend using Philips brand lamp if you are planning on keeping your TV for a while.. But if you plan on selling it soon, osram will do. ;)

Let us know.

Username: Sammyh

Eupora, MS USA

I have a RCA 50" tv model M50WH72S that I bought 5 months ago. It worked fine until a few days ago. First it had started taking longer to come on once I pushed the power button, then after a few days it quit coming on all together. One night It just came on by itself and it worked for several days ( I didn't turn it off). When I did turn it off it did the same thing again. I have called RCA and got a list of authorized services repairman in my area. When talking to them I found out they are 43 miles away but probably the closest to me. Now I have to wait til Monday to call RCA back and get them to give the repair service the go ahead to make the trip. Does anyone know what could be causeing my tv not to turn on? When I push the button all I get is five blinking lights then one steady light for a few seconds, then it goes out and I get nothing.

Silver Member

Post Number: 132
If you are lucky it is the lamp. Find your product manual and under 'Troubleshooting' I believe you will find the symptoms will tell you the same thing.

Now you just have to hope that the lamp is available and you dont have to go thru one of RCA's world wide searches.

Good luck

Username: Cascade1

I have an RCA HD50LPW62. Makes a loud humming noise. How much disassembly has to be done to replace the color wheel? One post I read said the screen would have to be removed. Thanks for any info.}}}

Bronze Member

Peter,
No, you don't have to remove the screen to change the color wheel. Just remove the lower access panel from the back of the set. Then, just to the left of the light housing you'll see the color wheel. Be careful removing the screws that hold the wheel to the light housing. I dropped one of mine and it took about an hour, and a magnet, to find it.

Remove the plugs from the color wheel, and remove it. Then carefully install the new one. Shouldn't be a problem. Good luck.

Username: Snakeeyes959

Indianapolis, IN USA

I own a HD50LPW175. I noticed a post above that had to do adjusting the Scientific Atlantic Control to adjust the width of the television. I've got a problem with my TV in which the sides of the picture that should be displayed for HD channels is being cut off. This is not occuring with my digital channels in 4:3 format...I'm simply stretching the 4:30 format, and this is fine. However, those channels that should be displayed in 16:9 format are being cut off at the edges. For instance....my ESPN HD channel only displays the logo "ESP" on the bottom right hand side of the screen, rather than the full "ESPN" logo. The same occurs on the left side of the screen. I've gone through the menu, and I have adjusted the horizontal placement, but I lose picture either way I adjust. The formats that are available through the menu are not working either. Is there anything else I can do to adjust this? My neighbor has a samsung HD tv, and the same cable service, and he can see the entire screen....so I know it isn't my HD cable service through Insight. I wonder if I can make an adjustment through the back of the tv? Or should I call a tech?

Thanks to anyone that answers this...I'm just looking for a square answer on this one.

--JD

Bronze Member

US

Post Number: 29
Hey everyone,

After 5 months Thomson offered an exchange for my P.O.S. HD50LPW175 with another refurbished HD50LPW175, which I had just recieved. I tried for the refund but got tired of the fight. Ironically, the only reason they offered a exchange was after I wrote the BBB, they even admitted it. I have not even tried to see if it worked but "if it does work" It will be up for sale. Just in case others are in my situation, they will try to get you to pay for the so called certified repair people to handle the exhange, they wanted $180.00, but if you have the TV set, they will send it to you for free and pick up the junk.

I did learn a hard lession in all of this at a cost of 10 months of not having a TV, hours or should I say months on the phone, and around $1800.00 of loss (if I can sell the replacement for $700.00 with the 2 replacement bulbs) and that is to never buy anything from Thomson AKA RCA every again. I truely hope others have better luck but if you have problems during warranty, don't let them jerk you around for 4 months waiting for parts because they will if they can and you might find yourself 4 weeks out of warranty with the same problem again and they can care less if they exhausted 4 months of your warranty getting parts, so keep hounding them and don't believe anything that the customer services tells you until you see it for yourself. Also if your waiting on parts after 3 or so weeks, call and demand a refund or exchange, inwhich they will do a global search for the part in 2-3 business days and speed up the process, my part was on backorder 3 different times and when I called requesting the refund/exchange they found my part that was suppose to be still on backorder for 2 more months (Ironic don't you think!!!).

I have to admitted it is a sad day when once a superb company like RCA becames what they are today. You don't have to take my word for it, just go to a major TV retailer (non walmart) and see how may RCA TV's you can find, it is like trying to find Waldo!!!

My advice is to buy a Sony, Samsung, Toshiba, etc. Buy from a company that will stand behind their product and not hide from it. My new Sony has already out lasted the RCA in only 4 months and it was the floor model!!!! Pay a little more for the good brands or you might pay dearly later.

Bronze Member

US

Post Number: 30
JD,

Check and see if your cable box remote has a picture format button also. I had the same problem with dish but I soon realized that the dish remote was zoomed in and would cause my format to be incorrect when adjusting the screen with the RCA remote. In short make sure one of the remotes is in normal mode and use the other to adjust the screen stretch. I don't know how you cable company box works but dish remembers your settings and will apply the settings to each similiar channel (ex HD channels and regular channels). I would change the channel to a regular digital channel, get it to a 4:3 format with one remote and then use the other remote and test it out. Once you think you have both remotes at the normal settings, pick one remote to do your screen adjustments and see how it works on the HD channels. Good Luck.

Also, if this doesn't work, check your cable box settings in the menu option and see if it has a TV setting option where you tell the box you have a wide screen tv 16:9 format and not the 4:3 format selected.

Username: Pinckneyj

Brockton, Ma Usa

I have a sneium and when the unit is on, the screen goes blank every 5 seconds with sound and no picture then the picture comes back, and this repeats every five second. Is this worth to repair or should i JUST JUNK THE TV. i WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER RCA PRODUCT AGAIN, JUST A WASTE OF MONEY.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
Hello, again
Well, after the color wheel and power supply debacles, I thought I finally had this TV(HD61LPW42) back up to new specs. I guess relaxation was not the order of the day. Everything relative to the replacement parts is just fine. However, I now have a dark blue triangle(somewhat opaque), creeping across the screen. It started out at the top left corner and was approximately 2 inches wide by about 4 inches long. In the past 2 weeks the thing has almost doubled in size. Anybody have any ideas? Thanks
MD

Jerome, your video problem might be a poor signal. Does the same thing happen when viewing a DVD or a tape on a VCR? The problem could be something as simple as a loose connection.

Bronze Member

US

Post Number: 31
Michael,

I don't actually know what is causing the triangle but I remember reading past post about them on this forum. When I found this forum I read all the back post and I remember other's with your problem but I can not recall how or if it was ever corrected. I believe most if not all where written before I joined in Sept 06, but can not be for sure. Hope this can help.

Username: Hoopsstar22

Michael-

I too have developed this problem, and will begin looking back through the archives to find the solution. If you find anything, please share, I will do the same.

Michael and anyone else looking to solve the mysterious triangle in the corner of the TV, here is what I found.

RandyM/ToSanchez
Local RCA Service Tech paid a visit today to tell me that my troubles are caused by a glue failure/heat related causeing a mirror to slip. The fix however is the same, replace the light engine. Preliminary estimate for the light engine is less than $700 plus labor. He also told me that the color wheel was noisy. I was unaware of this. Fix will come as an added bonus when the light engine is replaced. This is the 2nd mirror/glue failure that this service tech has seen. RandyM, from a design prospective, any thoughts? I never thought a TV would be high maintance. I also turned the service tech on to this forum.

This was courtesy of Jim Leithman. This can be found, with some pictures, on December 23, 2005 - Jan 5 2006.

Read through them yourselves, and take what you can from it. I will be searching for a way to fix this, and will report back with anything.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
Thanks, everybody
I knew that someone had this problem, just couldn't remember how far back it had gone. My next question would be concerning the light engine. Is this mirror issue something that could be dealt with without replacing the entire light engine? Anyway, thanks for the responses. Time to check out the archives.
MD

I just took out the light tunnel, and it is absolutely impossible to fix. Way too small to properly fix yourself. I am trying to find a part #.

Update -

No part number is available for the Light Tunnel. Spoke with several different people at RCA. The only part # they can provide is the light engine #. It is 263223, FYI. This part is on National Backorder. RCA Sales cannot get it, nor can an authorized service center. There is no ETA as to when this part will become available.

Will post more if I find out any additional info.

Here's my final verdict.

I just spoke with a Certified Service Center, and the gentleman was very, very, very helpful. He said that this problem can only be fixed by replacing the entire light engine. The mirror tube is not available to purchase individually. "New" light engines, (the only new engine comes with a new set, and all other engines purchased later are refurbs)cost approx $700. They include a "new" color wheel and the most of the rest of the guts inside the TV, except for a new lamp. They charged a flat rate of $150 to install it, and reconfigure the new engine, if need be.

He advised me that this piece will generally last another 2.5 years, roughly the same as the old one, before it fails again, and I am left in this predicament once again. He said due to the fans on the inside of the TV, it is inevitable to prevent dust and other debris form being sucked in, and messing up the set.

So here's what I'm looking at $700 for a new engine, $150 for labor, and $200+ for a new lamp(as my second one is nearing its end). So $1k+ to fix a TV that will last < 3 more years, until it goes though all this again.

Looks like I'm down sizing a bit, in the 45-50" plasma range, that will fit more comfortably in my living room, and allow me to purchase a 4 year warranty, to keep this fiasco from recurring again.

Hope this experience helps someone else.

Username: Captain_carl

Berlin, NH United States

Thought I'd chime in on the quality of RCA Scenium DLP Televisions. Suffice it to say that I've had my fair share of trouble with this stinker of a TV! ANYONE WHO BUYS ONE SHOULD HAVE THEIR HEADS EXAMINED!
First light bulb went after only approx 1000 hrs. Everyone was out of stock and we ended up paying over $450 USD for one! Next one went within 500hrs, same replacement cost! I finally wised up and bought two bulbs and was going to change them and use the same housing, but never got the chance cause the TV quit working. I'm now told that the LIGHT ENGINE could possibly be broken!
This television made all manner of noise at start up, whinning and whirring and would hum the entire time it was on. I complained about the noise so much that the Dealer I bought it from came back up to the house to make sure all connections were made correctly. They were! Then he said that it was indicative of the type of TV it was.
I'm discouraging as many people as I possibly can away from 1. DLP Technology & 2. RCA Products in general. The fly in the ointment here is that when you need parts for an RCA you have to deal with Thompson Electronics.
In my opinion if this TV was good enough to manufacture and sell to dealers for retail, then it should be good enough to stand behind.
THE AMERICAN WHO CAN MAKE A QUALITY TV, WITH GOOD CUSTOMER SERVICE AND TECH SUPPORT, AT THE RIGHT PRICE WILL BE A MUTLT MILLIONAIRE!!!!

Bronze Member

I believe I have the mirror slip also on my HD61THW263. The "triangle" runs from the top center of the screen, down the left side about 8". I was told originally that it was a crack in the light tunnel.

This failure happened 6 months after I accepted this as a replacement set from RCA. I ended up writing a detailed complaint to the RCA board, with 8X10" pictures of my problem. I basically challenged them to stand behind this "flagship" model (originally a $7500+ TV), which was in service only 6 months. They gave me the 3 month replacement warranty spiel and it was over with.

So much for them standing behind their products!

My light engine for this TV is $2500, the lamps are ~$475 with bulbs which cannot be replaced! LOL!

When I get tired of looking at the shadow, it's time for a non DLP, NON RCA TV!

Silver Member

Post Number: 134
Carl,
I agree with all you premises except that which advises to stay away from DLP technology. The problem is not the technology the problem is RCA. I repeat RCA.

Those stallwarts who follow this site might remember I had four RCA tv's in five years (Four replacements and finally a buy out). Over one and a half years I was without a main TV due to waiting on parts and dueling with RCA. Those of you who have not experienced the joys of dealing with RCA have no idea how confounding it can be. It is an endless, mind numbing experience that cannot be explained in the detail that it deserves. I know I have the National individual record of being on hold with RCA and the number of calls made to RCA.

Finally, after putting Thompson and RCA behind me I have had over a year and half beautiful service out of my Samsung 61" DLP. DLP technology is magnificent. The brightness and crispness is just spectacular. I swear my life span has been extended 10 years due to the joy it brings.

It must be pointed out that the RCA DLP picture (WHEN WORKING)is a terrific product. On par with Samsung or anyone else. This is how those people who purchase and RCA made their decision. The picture is as good as any manufacturer for less money. Little do they realize the woe that will fall unto them.

Greg, you are one of the 'stallwarts' who have lived the RCA story for quite a while. My unseen friend, bite the bullet and get a TV that actually works!!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
I guess I'm one of the lucky folks who have had minimal problems with my RCA Scenium. Yes, the lamp quit at about 1500 hours. Yes, RCA had none in stock and could not locate any. Yes, I had to go outside Thompson channels to find replacement lamps. I bought 4 at $100 each.

But other than that, the set has been fine, the picture excellent and the "experience" positive.

Would I buy another RCA? Hell no! I mean, who even sells them anymore?

Would I buy another DLP? Hell yes! In fact the new 61" Samsung with the LED light engine is a phenomenal set. It gets rid of the two most problematic components of dlp technolgy - lamps and color wheels (and also the resultant rainbows). It should last for a solid 5 years.

I look foward to purchasing this product when my Scenium finally dies.

Bronze Member
Username: Nu2itall

Findlay, OH

Post Number: 39
Well, it's finally happened. My HD61LPW163 bit the dust last night. It'll be 3 years old in October and this is the first real problem I've had.

The unit had been on for about 20 minutes and I was just watching the news after getting home from work. Without any warning the picture just froze. The blue lights turned on, there was no sound, it wouldn't respond to any controls (remote or on the console) and the picture was just froze. After I was convinced it wasn't coming back I did the unthinkable, I unplugged the TV. I left it unplugged for a few seconds and then plugged it back in hoping to see it spring back to life. No luck. At this point the blue lights came back on but there was no picture. Tried powering it down for several minutes, still nothing. Unplugged it for a couple of hours while I mowed the lawn, still nothing.

It doesn't appear to be a lamp problem but I have a spare so I tried replacing it "just in case". No luck. I left it unplugged overnight and hoped for the best in the morning. Still nothing, the blue lights are on and there is no sound or picture.

I'm calling tech support this morning. I'll keep you posted.

Bronze Member
Username: Nu2itall

Findlay, OH

Post Number: 40
The closest repair center is an hour away from here and I just finished talking to them. He's sure it's a light engine. Says delivery is 3-5 days and the next available appointment for a service call is next Thursday (week from tomorrow). $1200 estimate for repair including parts and labor.

Silver Member

Post Number: 136
Len,

How can I say this gently and with all due respect...TRASH THE SET..NOW!!

Spending $1200 on a light engine is nuts to the nth degree. You can buy a new set for $2,000 or less.

An RCA replacement part available in 3-5 days? Ha! I'll believe that when pigs can fly.

Over the phone the tech is 'sure' about what is needed. Double Ha!

You, my friend, are now entering RCA hell. Beware!

I know you, on this site, have been a voice in the wilderness extolling the virtues of RCA and their products, but if I were you I would be very, very scared.

Good luck!!

Username: Randall_dms

San Jose, California USA

Well, I've been warily watching this post site since I bought my RCA DLP 50" a little over a year ago.
I've had a few scares when the picture froze a couple times, But it always comes back after powering down and re-starting.
I had been waiting for the lamp to go because we run the TV about 15-18 hrs a day. Finally, I bought a couple replacement lamps (just the lamp, not the cage) an an online auction for $90 ea.
I replaced the old lamp EVEN THOUGH IT WAS STILL FUNCTIONING and put it away as a spare. I noticed that the new lamp was sharper and brighter than the old one. BUT it DID last well past it's projected "lamp life hours"
I haven't had any problems a lot of you experienced. The repair tech I spoke to locally had nothing but GOOD to say about the RCA DLP's. He pointed out that his shop was full of everything BUT RCA's. I mentioned the complaints on this site, and his response was most people only post when they are having problems which will happen with ANY product. Satisfied customers (which he says is ALWAYS the majority) just enjoy and remain silent. He has no affiliation with RCA. Just experience.
I thought I'd break the trend and make a "satisfied customer" post.
If that changes, I'll be sure to join the Bashing, but so far, I'm more than happy with my purchase.

Portland, Oregon USA

Greetings all, I haven't posted since back on April 12th, 2007 when my RCA went out. Thought I'd let you all know what happened with me. I would tend to agree with Randall Adams - typically only complaints get posted. He's right. If I liked my RCA I wouldn't have needed to find answers as to why I was having problems. If this website did not exist, I would never have known I was not alone with my problems. I continue to follow this thread with great interest.

It took three weeks for my RCA to finally get fixed. It was out of the one full year warranty, but Costco, where I bought it, was determined to help me, rather than have it returned. They covered the repair under what they call their "Concierge" service. It took awhile to get it all scheduled.

The repairman came out and after looking at the set, said it was probably the bulb, and said he would order it. I informed him that I had already reported that, and that his visit was a waste of his and my time.

I complained to Costco that we he was wasting my time and delaying the inevitable.

Lo and behold, he returned two week later with the whole electronie computer control box, about 8"x10" x 2" thick. He said analaysts had determined that it was the problem, not the bulb.

Well he replaced it, and sure enough, it was the box, and the bulb didn't need replacing at the time. he informed me that the cost of the computer control box was $1,000. I didn't have to pay a cent. Costco picked it all up.

I can only hope that this is the end of my problems. Listening to everyone here, I just don't know. Here's hoping.
Tom

Silver Member

Post Number: 137
Randall, It is good to hear when someone has a positive comment on any product. Kind of restores your faith in a product.

I venture to say that your repairman has a dirth in RCA products in for repair because so little of them are sold compared with Samsung, Sony and Mitsu. You can hardly find an RCA product in a store these days. Only the big box stores even attempt to carry them.

When working, RCA has a tremendous picture and I wouldnt even consider their product unless I bought it from a Costco or some place like that. They seem to be excellent retailers who have the wherewithall to stand behind products as Geil brought up.

It is definately true that people mostly only bring up problems on websites such as this. But it is also true when you see the same problems over and over again by frustrated owners and consistent parts problems and un-ending phone calls to RCA service links that you might tend to be suspicious over the quality and reputation of a company.

Username: F22_qc

GUESS WHAT HAPPENED TO MY 61" RCA DLP (almost 3 years old) "The mysterious triangle in the corner problem appeared on it".

The lamp is good, the color wheel is good but what an unpleasant and unexpected surprise this was. This is not an RCA problem, it is a Texas Instruments problem since Texas Instruments makes the light engine as they all are for all DLP sets no matter who the set manufacture is. So people who own any brand of DLP TV beware, this in time, may happen to yours. Here is a quote from a past post on this subject "Local RCA Service Tech paid a visit today to tell me that my troubles are caused by a glue failure/heat related causing a mirror to slip. The fix however is the same, replace the light engine".

My fix was that I went out and bought a new Sony 1080P set (SXRD) with a 4-year warranty. No more DLPs... I did look at the new Samsung with the LED light technology but did not like it. I spent hours in a local store comparing it against other sets, i.e. Plasma, DLP, Sony LCD, JVC LCOS, by checking and adjusting the menu settings to see what set did what and how well it did it. My verdict on the Samsung LED set is that the brilliance is just not there like it is with the other technologies. Chrome, fire, flashes of light or anything with a real world flash or brilliance of light looks muddied on the LED lamp set no matter how you set the menu settings (I tried this on more than one Samsung LED set and everyone should go check it out for themselves).

Anyhow, I chose the Sony LCD SXRD Technology and will give it a chance (I also got a 4-year warranty so I will not have to worry about the lamp). If you check these forums you will find that at least Sony has repaired some of their first generation LCD Rear Projection sets that people were having problems with even though they were out of warranty. Texas Instruments (to support their DLP set manufactures) has not done this with their light engine failures, i.e. color wheels or light tube mirror failure like my set.

I can accept having to buy a new lamp when the time came but not these other kind of failures (my opinion is that the light engines and electronics should be made to last for at least 5 years). This should be something to think about when you buy your next big expensive TV (with these new technologies it behooves you to get an extended warranty).

This Forum is great!!! (you find out things you would never find out otherwise).

Username: Cbschamp99

i have a RCA 61" HD61THW263YX1 and I just paid 400 dollars for a brand new lamp which made my tv look amazing, but 2 hours of watching it, a shadow began to form in the middle of the screen and I began to smell something burn like plastic. now i have a big shadow in the middle of my screen and i know something is burned up but just dont know what. does anyone have any ideas of what it could be? any help or direction would be much appreciated.

Username: Evereve

I have an RCA Scenium, model HD50LPW166YX12. Recently the TV has taken a long time to start up. The power button blinks a few times, I hear sound, then it does nothing for a little while, and finally I hear the whirring sound (I'm assuming the color wheel) and the picture comes on...until today.
Same thing as before, only the picture never comes on. Power button blinks, I hear sound, but no matter how long I wait the picture never comes on, and the TV shuts off. I found a bulb and ordered, since as far as troubleshooting says, that's what it is. However before I waste my time with that, is there anything else it might be? Is it normal that when the bulb goes, I don't hear the whirring sound of the wheel anymore? I would think that it would go even if the bulb didn't turn on, but I could be wrong. Any help someone could give would be much appreciated, as the parts for this TV are pretty expensive. Thanks!

Any town, Any state Usa

It is almost certain the bulb has failed. Do some checking on the net you should find a replacement for under $200

Sorry to say, it wasn't the bulb. Got the replacement today, tried it...no luck at all. I hear sound flicker on and off (which it also does when there is no bulb in the slot), but no picture at all. The bulb doesn't even get warm. I imagine there isn't even power getting to it.
I still wonder why I don't hear the "whirring" sound like I used to when it started up properly. Does anyone have another idea what could be happening?

Silver Member

Post Number: 139
Mark H,
Well, now you are entering into the twilight zone of RCA DLP's.

I doubt that anyone on this board would know definitively what the problem is with your set. I suggest you go back a few pages on this thread and read the various situations/frustrations/remedies etal.

At the end of the read you will have a few choices:

1. Start the expensive and grinding replace this replace that format...ie lamp, light engine, Board by yourself.

2. Bring the set into a repair place and let them do the same thing for huge sums of money.

3. Do #1 or #2, but be prepared to wait forever for parts...and then its 50/50 that any of those solutions actually work. Get out your checkbook.

3. Dump the tv and get a new one.

I vote for #3.

Sorry to be so blunt, but when you get right down to it, today's televisions are, to me, throw away items. They are sensational products, but they dont last like 'old' tv's. If you got three to five years on one get out while the gettin's good.

Your 50" RCA now probably costs around what $1200 today, but light engines cost around $500 or $600 and you dont even know that this is the problem....bad news is the service guy probably doesnt know either.

All the service people who came to my house to work on my tv's never could diagnose the problem for sure. It was always...'It could be the light engine'...'if it isnt that its the board' or the best of all ' I'll have to bring it into the shop and work on it' Uh oh!

Who knows it might be a short somewhere and now what?

Good luck...let us know what you have decided.

Any town, Any state Usa

When by first bulb went out it took the balast board with it. I ordered a new bord and it worked fine. The board can be replaced in a few minutes. When the second bulb went the board was not hurt. I have replaced the color wheel due to the noise it was making because of the bering going bad again not a bad job.So in four years I have replaced two bulbs one balast board and one color wheel. I do have a spear blub on hand hopeing for at least one more year before I will need it. If the set did not make such a good picture I would just have dumped it a long time ago. I think ghe balast board was about 200 and I got 75 back when I sent in the bad board. One thing you should know is the bulb will not light if you do not have the door back on right. There is an interlock that much trip for the bulb to light. One other thing the bulb will not show a circuit if you check it with a meter this is normal. I will never concider and rca products in the future. Nor will I put any more money in my set except for bulbs. I have been very luckly If you read this board far to many people have not. Consider my set is going on four years old and I have put around 600 in it I can not say I have been happy but compaired to other I have been lucky. Good Luck.

I was lucky in that the first part I replaced was the buzzing color wheel and it fixed it,(thanks to Michael Dye for analyzing the problem). I had to tear the whole TV down, because one screw was very hard to get at. It worked fine for a while, now the wheel makes a screeching noise for the first minute on and then goes away. This was an $1800 dollar TV 2 years ago, now I see it for $1000. I won,t fix this one again when something breaks, I won't buy another RCA, I won't buy a TV with moving parts, and I won't buy one without an extended warranty. Good Luck !!

Not worth the hassle of repairing honestly. I can get a used TV on ebay for the cost of one part for this piece of crap. I shouldn't say piece of crap, it was great for the while I had it, plus I had bought it used for under 400 dollars in perfect working condition. If it weren't for the breaking, it would have been a great TV.

Well, that was enlightening. Just had a repair person come, and apparently what happened was a power surge on the lines which caused the Power supply to die, while killing the Ballast board. 700 dollars to repair. However, since it was due to a surge, the repair person gave me an extra copy of the work order, if I so wish to have it repaired, to send to my electric company, since it's possible they will reimburse me. I don't know what the chances are of that happening, but I'm hopeful. So, in the end it wasn't the fault of crappy RCA products it seems. Wish me luck with the electric company.

Username: Domnet

I bough a rca scenium there are 1 year. First problem I had, my tv close by itself after 1 hours sometime after only few minutes. Tanguay (shop where I bought this tv) replaced the light engine and the light bulb 2 times. They give me my tv back but tv close by itself again and it had big white spots on the screen! After one year of problems, they decided to give me a refund! I'm very happy. Now i'm the owner of a new plasma panasonic 50" tv. Very good tv. I have only one thing to say, NEVER NEVER buy rca product.

Bronze Member

US

Post Number: 33
The rca dlp's are junk, anything can and will fail and when it does there will be no parts. Lightengine alone goes around 1000.00 if they have one. My new SONY SXRD ROCKS!! The only thing RCA I will EVER buy is if they go into the toilet paper business so I can wipe my *ss on it's logo. The intials RCA scares me more than IRS.

RCA stats: 4 repair attempts,Hundreds of hours on phone with RCA customer support (if you can call it that) 10 months waiting on parts, 12/18 months TV not working 15/18 not working or working improperly, 7 months for resolvement with RCA (got reburbished replacement to sell at 20% purchase price after contacting BBB), 6 months with flawless SONY 60" 1080P SXRD PRICELESS!!!

Username: Jtherron

Hi all!

It's been almost 9 months since my last post, and I have been following the thread, but have been traveling with work quite alot and haven't had time to post... well, I've had time but everytime I think about my RCA it makes me angry. In any case, here's my update!

I have a 50" DLP, HD50LPW175, bought last summer. It went out in December, contacted RCA, 48 phone calls,and two BBB complaints (one against RCA corporate who then directed me to file another against TV division). That was all prior to May. They sent me a bulb, it didn't work, I called back and for two months they accused me of 'stealing' the old bulb by not returning it. I threatened legal action and faxed (4 times) copies of the UPS tracking slip and receipt that showed I sent the bulb back 4 days after receiving the new one. Eventually, they arranged for a service center to pick up the TV. The service center was awesome and very friendly, and have been on my side in this whole ordeal. They inspected it and said it was the light engine and one of the electronic boards. The parts were in backorder status with RCA (of course) and we waited two more months until 2 weeks ago when the owner of the center called me and said RCA had faxed him and said that one of these parts had been discontinued in June and would not be available. He called to ask what to do with my TV and how they were going to help me, and was met with no response. He called me and recommended I call them and literally threaten a lawsuit. I called and was very patient, and was told I would be called back, that was 14 days ago and I have called twice more with no update.
I'm really not sure what to do here but I won't give up on the issue. My repair center said that RCA has treated countless of their customers badly, and I guess they figure I'll just give up eventually. I don't really have the time for any kind of lawsuit, but this is getting a little more than ridiculous. Anyways, it's good hearing that some people are having good experiences and that others are finding help on this forum. I will keep everyone updated as I can. Hope everyone had a great summer!

Silver Member

Post Number: 140
A light engine and 'board' cost about the same as a new set. And, who knows if this is really the items causing the problem. There could be something that instigated the loss of the light engine and board. Strange that both went out at the same time.

In any event. RCA has replaced a whole lot of tv's while under warranty and not. Keep on them. My advice would be to work towards a cash settlement and move on to another brand. Replacement tv's only have a three month warranty and you will be stuck with the parts problem all over again.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 56
100% agree with Jumpback. While the RCA Sceniums picture is amazing...they are some of the worst built DLPs on the marketplace...wait..no...the AKAI's are! ;)

They they're right up there with AKAI. The OSRAM bulbs (type B) that they throw in there is just as bad as the rest of the sets quality. Definately do not purchase or invest $$ in the RCA set you have. If the lamp goes out again, buy a philips brand lamp. If the color wheel goes out, get a replacement color wheel. Do not spend money on any other parts! (the ballast are actually the only components that are pretty stable).

Good luck!

Bronze Member

US

Post Number: 34
Hello Josh,

Same TV same problem too. The BBB was how I got the ball rolling, RCA contacted me after about 6-8 weeks after I filed the complaint, they finally contacted me and after another 4 month circus I agreed to take an exact replacement, I was tired of the BS and thought I would take it, sell it for a fraction of my loss. If I had the time and energy I would have went legal but I was tired of messing with them after 18 months and realized enough was enough, and got out. I hope things work out but my confidence in RCA is less than 0%. I still taday have the replacement set, referbished unit, and ethically can not bring myself to passing the garbage to someone else. I had relatives interested in it but I talked them out of it by telling the truth. I sometimes think I would get more enjoyment by destroying the thing rather than selling it. Hope all goes well.

Username: Nzina

I have an RCA Scenium HDLP50W151YX1, I have lost the sound to the TV, I cannot get any sound out of it, does anybody know a solution. Watching TV and all of a sudden the sound went out, TV comes on and the picture is fine but no sound. This TV is one headache after another.

Portland, Oregon USA

Well gang, After many months, if not a year, of being a part of this ongoing discussion, today is my last day. I just returned from Costco. I bought this RCA on 2/20/2006. After their concierge service paid $1,000 just three months ago to replace the whole computer electronic box, it recently started making loud humming noises. I had my fill! I took it back to Costco, even though it had been well over a year and 8 months....and they took it back. They were hesitant because they nlong carry this piece of S**t. But they did. I turned around and purchased a new Panasonic Plasma. I now exit this conversation so I can go set up my TV. So long RCA. Too bad their executives haven't checked in or listened to this discussion Board. Best of luck to the rest of you.
Tom Geil

Username: Cbschamp99

I myself is done with RCA also, after hearing about all the bad things and not nearly enough good things, i have invested in a 65 Sharp Aquos. Even though lightning ran in through my cable and torched my light engine, which was going to cost 3600 dollars to replace when the tv repair shop found one, I will never buy another RCA tv again. Thank goodness for homeowners!!!!!

Silver Member

Post Number: 141
Boy, good news here! No RCA problems being posted. Perhaps all who have suffered with RCA products have successfully moved onto other brands.

Over the last year or two these continuing soap operas have been pretty entertaining. Unfortunately, all the entertainment came at the expense of true pain for the owners.

Username: Gspeed

Wrong!!
I purchased a RCA from Best Buy a year and 4 months ago and now the thing is dead. It started whinning really loud(guess the wheel) Then it started loosing its picture. The other day I came home and my wife said thats all it does is blink those blue lights. Did some reading and ordered and new phillips bulb and ditched the Osram.
Tonight installed the bulb and nothing. Now it powers up but no fan comes on no sound nothing.
What a piece of crap!

I tore the back side of the TV off and looked at the power supply looks like one of the capacitors is all puffed up.

So where so I go from here . Do I bother RCA or do I just pitch the piece and start over. Do I try to get it fixed??

crappy part is I went into best buy to buy a 50 inch plasma and the salesperson talked me into this pile o crap. Asked me if I was going to hang it on a wall. When I answered no he moved me right in front of the RCA and started his spiel. DAMM.

any more help or direction would be aprreciated..

Gspeed

I will be contacting the MILLS LAW firm. It appears they where successful with a class action suit against Panasonic. Guess its time for the hire guns to knock on RCA's door now.

Anyone interested?

Silver Member

Post Number: 142
Well, first of all what is RCA going to do with it? The warranty is over, right? With no extended warranty I would say ditch it, try to sell the new lamp on Ebay, and move on to another brand.

If you are going into the land of RCA repairs it is one scary road. Inept repair people who basically guess at the problem, RCA parts supply which is usually non existant and months of waiting which usually results in frustration.

Chalk it up to a bad experience and move along. Go to Costco and get an extended warranty too.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
Well, my 61" RCA has finally developed the dreaded triangle of death. I feel luck that I got three painless years out of the unit before it crapped.

Obviously I won't be considering an RCA product ever again. Also, I am hard pressed to buy another tv product that uses a lamp and a color wheel. The dlp technology is excellent, though, so I will be getting a 61" Samsung LED DLP at the end of the year.

I will take much pleasure in "decontructing" the RCA to remove the Mustang 2+ chipset to place on my shelf as a souvenir.

interesting side note
walked into BEST BUY - off course they no longer carry RCA but they no longer stock much of any kind of dlp TV either. must have been 75 flat panel TV's and 5 DLP tv's.

must say something about the technology for those units.

Username: Kent_l

I have a RCA DLP television model #HD50LPW175YX1. I was watching tv and then the picture went out and then came back and then went out for good. I checked online and the owner's manual. It stated that if the lights on the front of the tv blink 5 times,pauses, blinks 5 times again then the lamp needs replacing. I ordered a new lamp from ebay 129.99 free shipping, got the lamp installed and nothing. I called the company I bought the lamp off of and he asked if I heard a clicking noise when I turned on the tv, I told him yes, he said that was the color wheel. I ordered a color wheel, I installed it and now nothing. Does anyone have any idea what could be wrong, I hate to keep doing trial and error.

well miracles do happen

My wife went to Best Buy to pitch a beotch at the manager of the day. The manager although empathatic said he could not do a thing. So while she was sitting in the parking lot at the store she calls customer relations.

The telephone attendant there proceeds to look up our account and asks why we have not contacted our extended warranty.

My wife asks for the contract # and information and ask the girl to verify that the contract is still in effect. She confirms it and calls the warranty co. They confirm that it is a valid contract and set an appt to come out and pick it up next week.

We have no record of buying this contract but I am sure we paid somewhere along the line.

So I called the store manager and explained that we did not want to repair the RCA.

So we are going in tonight to use our lemon money on a new 58 lcd flat panel .

Good bye RCA--forever !!!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 66
Kent,

I've seen this problem before....it's NOT a lamp issue, it's NOT a color wheel issue, and nor is it a ballast issue. Apparently the main power board on the RCAs fail quite frequently.

Contact "ALI" with Discount-Merchant.com. They have this problem well documented and can have your power supply repaired with NEW parts.

Discount-Merchant.com
619-710-2637 x203

Bronze Member

Post Number: 16
Good morning,
Well, the dreaded triangle of death has finally forced me to make a change. Sears had a great deal on "Black Friday" and I am now the owner of a new Panasonic 56" DLP set. Including a 5 year warranty, I spent just over a grand, so it was worth it just to get rid of the RCA headache.

So, I am going to part out the HD61LPW42 set that has been such a piece of crap for the last several years. Not counting the tunnel, which has caused the triangle on the screen, most of the parts on this set are in reasonably good shape. If any of you are in need of replacement parts, let me know. The color wheel, ballast, and inverter are less than 6 months old. The rest of the set is about 3 years old, but in like new condition. Let me know if you need anything. Good luck to all of you.

Username: Jcstorbeck

I have a question about my HD50LPW165yx1 which I bought in March of 2005. Saturday morning I got up and saw that all of the blue background lights on the buttons for the TV were lit up solid blue. I had turned the system off the night before and things were normal. There is no sound, no light, nothing. I unplugged for a few minutes and plugged back in, I can hear the power supply energize and maybe a relay opening, the blue lights on the button panel on the front immediately light up and stay on forever. I unplugged and left sitting for a couple of days, opened the back of the TV dusted it out and then made sure all the cable connections were seated. Closed it up and the same result.

Any idea's what may be the problem? I had trouble with the HDMI and my Cable box when I first got the Scenium so I know how bad service is and how far the nearest dealer is to my house. There is no troubleshooting step in the manual that describes the power up and solid blue light buttons.

I don't know if it is related, but there have been times periodically where I would turn on the TV and the sound would come on but no picture. This would only be fixed by unplugging the system and rebooting the TV. Powering off did not fix the problem.

I'm ready to buy a phillips 47PLF7422 at COSTCO tomorrow just because I figure reading this forum that even if it is possible to fix it will take months...but I figure it may be an easy fix or there is a market for the parts from this TV.

Silver Member

Post Number: 144
Easy fix? Easy fix? Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

But, I digress, Just wondering. Why a Phillips? I have no experience with these and more than likely nor does anyone else. Why would you want to buy a set that less than 1% of the population own?

I was in Costco a few days ago and I know they carry Samsung. Is it a huge price difference or something. Just curious.

I shopped around, philips gets pretty good reviews, they look good, the price at COSTCO is about 500 lower than other places and COSTCO lets you take the TV back for up to 90 days if you find you screwed up. They also double the warranty to 2 years. They have one Sami LCD 32" and I'm looking for a 47" set. Everyone that writes a review loves their philips LCD as opposed to people who write about RCA rear projection TV's they all seem to hate them.

Bronze Member

Any town, Any state Usa

I have a rca 61 dlp that is almost four years old. To date I have replaced two bulbs a balast and a color wheel. I even have a extra bulb on hand. I have read this forum from the start and I am sure I am a very lucky mam. I have told the wife when it quits again we are buying a 60 sony. I have put close to a $1000 into this set and have done all the work myself. As of now the set is working like new but every morning I keep my fingers corssed. I did get my wife a 32 philips lcd and love it. Great picture. I did have to retrun it to BB as it was defective on xmas morning. No problem with return and replacement.
I own a high end video production company and have spent well over $50,000 with sony for most of my company geer. My son just get a 50 sony dlp and loves it.

Silver Member

Post Number: 145
John, thanks and good luck with your set. No argument here about RCA.

So I found a repair shop, no thanks to RCA and they took a couple days to figure out it was the DM3 module or circuit board. They are on backorder of course. I suggested selling them my TV for parts and they said everyone needs a DM3 module, that is the part breaking on all these DLP sets. Any ideas on finding a part?

Username: Loflyby

I have a HDLP61W151YX2. The lamp burned out after three years of service, and luckily before my extended warranty expired. The warranty company sent me a new lamp, part # 260962. The lamp that was originally in the tv was part # 265103. I have examined both closely, and the housing for each is identical. The bulb size and shape are identical. The only difference I can determine is the 265103 has an Osram bulb with the following info on it : P-VIP 100-120/1.0 E23h. The bulb in the 260962 has UHP 120W 1.0 232-0243-00 on it. I installed the 260962 new lamp housing in the tv and it appears to operate correctly. But I do not want to have an eventual problem occur if this is not truly compatible with my set. Can anybody provide any insight to this. Thanks in advance for any information you can provide !

Bronze Member

There are some experts on bulbs here, or hit one of the bulb repair sites and drop them a question. I would think if the bulb is firing, and the picture looks good, go with it!

My RCA HD61THW263 has blue flashing lights now, sometimes it powers up sometimes not. I think it's the power supply or DMD board. Either way, I am not sinking another DIME into this set.

I'm thinking of parting it out, then making a UTUBE video of me defiling it with a sledgehammer and .44mag. I would then, of course, send the video to the RCA customer service board.

I have decided on the Sony KDS 60A-3000. It's got a great picture, no moving parts, and I got it delivered for $1800. Should be on my doorstep Tuesday.

I would never consider another DLP with a color wheel at this point, and I looked the the LED DLP's (was not impressed).

Good luck to all. If anyone needs a bulb or other parts for the THW263, send me a mail at kito2112@yahoo.com. And, look for my UTUBE video, coming soon, if you want to see a $7K TV destroyed at the hands of it's owner!

Silver Member

Post Number: 146
Wow, now this is nice to see. One month and no posts about RCA problems.

Hopefully, all the horror stories about RCA products have scared enough people (and retailers) to give up purchasing (and selling) these lemons.

Over the years there have been hundreds of people posting their RCA sagas. I would bet not one of those people have replaced their RCA set with another RCA product.

Bronze Member

US

Post Number: 35
Hey Jump,

The word must be out!!!!!

Silver Member

Post Number: 147
Jeremy, I am thinking so.

We had the electricity go out last night about 6:00pm and instead of freezing we ate out and dropped in on a Best Buy store.

They had probably 75 or more different sizes of televisions, DLP, plazmas, LCD etc and not one was an RCA.

Last week I was in Walmart and they had one RCA. I think it was a 50".

The consumer, despite all the problems they experienced with RCA products, really had no sway with RCA. But, retailers refusing to sell their crapola certainly can have a huge impact on such a sorry company.

Username: Gjd2

San diego, Ca Usa

Not so fast you guys. Troubled RCA DLP owners ARE still here. Forget about the Lamps, forget about the color wheels and light engines and parts delays. Been there done that. Fixed it ourselves once out of warranty and actually got maybe 8 months of trouble free service.

Then a power interuption today (heater blew a circut breaker) may have done it in. It starts up fine with a good picture but NO SOUND. I've checked the sound settings and they have not changed. Any ideas. Yeah I know dump it shoot it burn it run and buy a Samsung or another brand.
And I might just do all that if It can't be resolved reasonably fast.

Thanks

Glen

Silver Member

Post Number: 149
Are you using a HDMI cable? If so, you might want to try using component cables if they are handy. It is worth a shot and doesnt cost anything.

Username: Gjd2

San diego, Ca Usa

Thanks Jumpback you got me thinking and I found a switch on the back for external/internal speakers that I guess just is dirty and quick flip back an forth solved the problem. Darn thing is looking and sounds great still!

Bronze Member

US

Post Number: 36
Yea Jump, I have seen the disappearance of RCA even in walmart, I only wished it happened sooner (LOL), my RCA RT2500 surround sound has recently bit the dust, apparently it too suffers from a global breakdown, although I will boast the 5 years it worked, although the last 2 years required a 30 minute warm up and some supper glue for the busted speakers (LOL). I have read several post as to what the problem is, but do not want to spend any money for the eventual failure again, and decided to invest in another brand to eventually eliminate all RCA junk from my property. All I have that works (at least I hope) is my RCA surge protector (which I may need to replace to be safe).

In regards to surround sounds, I have been disappointed in all brands in the baby steps they are taking. I miss my surround sounds but the options out there are very lack luster, I mean they have the HDMI pass through, which really IMO serves no propose, why have it in a receiver when no digital sound is used?? And most have very few digital inputs, unless you spend the bank of course. I will give RCA credit on their receivers like mine have 2 inputs years ago, but to my disappointment, most budget friendly new models have only 1 and even most of the $500-$1000 models have only 2 still. I still prefer the fiber optics over HDMI until they make a receiver that supports multiple (functional) HDMI inputs with a HDMI output. The HDMI pass through is pure BS, and I guess I'll have to wait until the manufacture genesis's actual make a good, current product. Well enough of my ranting, I guess I'll go enjoy my wonderful (WORKING) Sony TV and watch some good ole' HD programming, I hope the Sammy is still doing well for you.

Silver Member

Post Number: 150
Jeremy, yup both Sammies are doing well. We have the 32" LCD in the bedroom and the 61" HD in the family room. Both are on 15 hours a day at least (my wife no longer works) so she keeps them on the food/HGTV/Jewelry/FoxNews continually.

My only problem with them is that what cost me $2900 and $1700 are now in the stores for $1499 and $700 respectively! Wow, if you are not especially anxious to get the 'newest' product you can save a lot of $$$$.

We have the Bose surround sound system and it works great.

Username: Dmcknight

My bulb went out on our 4-year old 61" set. This is the second bulb, first was replaced after about 6 months. The replacement has the exact same info on it as what Rich posted in December. Color wheel does whine somewhat, so I'm holding my breath that replacing the bulb will give me hopefully another year of service w/ nothing else going out.

Well I've been calling the repair shop that has my RCA once a month just to let them know that I'm still alive and have not abandoned the thing yet. They told me the RCA has a DS3 module their cost is $400 plus they get a core charge back of $70. All told they said I could be out the door for about $550. Now the big question. Is it worth the cost to get this set working or should I just walk away. They said they had an older RCA in with a DS3 module problem and got the part installed it and now the owner won't come get it. (I asked the parts are different and it won't work in my TV). Should I part this out, anyone on this forum needs some parts for their RCA?

I replaced my color wheel a year ago, now I notice a new problem. Periodically (not often), the picture will freeze, the green on light will flash, then the TV turns off.I can turn it on right a way, but some of the picture settings have to be changed. What is it?

Thanks

Silver Member

Post Number: 151
Peter, I had four RCA's that turned themselves off. Never did find an RCA service guy who could ever definitively tell me what caused it.

In every instance they would start with replacing the lamp, The 'Board', light engines etc. Sometimes nothing would be replaced because there were no parts available (IN THE WHOLE WIDE WORLD).

RCA replaced two of the sets and, finally, on the last set, they just gave me my money back and I wished myself well with another brand.

I cannot say what your problem is, but from my experience...start shopping!

Bronze Member

US

Post Number: 37
Well crap, my lamp just blew in my Sony, but good news they are easily available and a fraction of the cost of RCA's. Cheapest I found was $129 at www.bluestar-online.com with free 2-day shipping. Funny thing was I was thinking the other day I should order one for back-up, but it was still over 100 days until college football so I forgot about it.

Man the past week has been a pain, almost as bad as my RCA days, my DISH HD DVR failed, along with 1st replacement, then my SONY lamp blew, followed by my wife's 2005 car began going crazy (buzzing sounds and electrical problem when parked and not running!!), luckly it was a faulty battery. Times like this take me back to the old RCA days, old but never forgotten lol.

Oh yea I almost forgot, I called SONY to see if the lamp was included in the 2 year part warranty (ughh it wasn't) but get this, less than "1" minute wait time..... I was freakin SHOCKED!!!!!

Silver Member

Post Number: 152
Jeremy, you know, of course, that appliances, cars and the like all work together to make life miserable for us humans.

In the past few months our refrigerator, one of the A/C units, our washer and dishwasher gave up the ghost.

Once I got over the shock, I discovered that it is 'mandatory' to also buy a new dryer when the washing machine goes kapute. Even though the dryer worked just fine. (I believe it is called 'matching' or something to that effect...my wife tought this to me.)

Problem is appliances are not cheap. Refrig was $2900 and the washer/dryer were $2600 (all LG).

But, I must admit nothing could ever overtake the heartache and frustration as the old RCA days.

Bronze Member
Username: Turbo15479

Post Number: 90
Jumpback,
I am in the business of repairing washers and dryers. LG washers and dryers seem to have a hit or miss of reliability. I know some p[eople who have had good luck with them and others that have argued and had their money refunded after 6 months. When buying laudry equipoment it is hard to beat a Whirlpool product. Keep in mind that most Kenmores, all Roper, and all Kitchen Aid are actually a Whirpool with a different name. Good Luck

Bronze Member

US

Post Number: 38
Yea Jump, I totally agree, I sware sometimes I'm ready to build a cabin in the woods, get a mule to farm and a horse to travel, especially when fuel prices are at and over $4 a gallon (lol).

Looks like my SONY will be going into the shop after all (50 miles to nearest certified repairman) on my own $$$$$. But I guess it is somewhat my fault since I somehow managed to break something that is vitual for the TV to know the lamp door is closed, and through my own investigation, I think I damaged a T board (ugh).

Oh and I also have discovered the matching pair Enlightenment Theory too. Our dryer, which is a whirlpool and a old one too, is about to bit the dust. I have only had to change the heating element in the past, but I believe she is deserving retirement after about 12-15 years of good service.

Looks like another 2k purchase for the modern styles (although I am complelled to stick with the cheaper proven model types)is nearing. I still do not understand if technology is getting better, why are products getting worse. It wasn't many years ago that a product would last at least 10+ years, know it is like a couple of years if lucky. The parts are made crappy, and nothing every seems to go back together as it is suppose too.

Thanks Bob for the insight on washers and dryers, I think i'll check out the Roper and Kitchen aid brands to save $$$$. I am not a fan of LG, mainly because of their force of pushing green on their other companies like NBC. Don't get me wrong, I think we need to keep the envirnoment healthly, but their agenda is being used to brainwash people into buying their products and fueling the man made global warming THEORY. I am not trying to get political, but when true experts ring in, like NASA and NOAA, then I will believe with facts, not AL Gore propreganda or when Al Gore practices what he preaches instead of just owning carbon credit companies......

If Global Warming is man made, maybe RCA is the first on the doom list......at least then something good for man kind will happen......

Silver Member

Post Number: 153
Bob, I think I am in agreement with Jeremy the product reliablity across the board is just plain awful.

In the past I have never bought extended warranties, but for todays televisions and major appliances I do.

The LG refrigerator that I previously mentioned already had a couple of problems. The bottom freezer door doesnt seal properly and consequently the entire freezer filled up with snow like frozen water.

I think I paid about $250 for a three year extension and have already got that money back as they gave me $300 for food spoilage and repairs to a few incidentals on the fridge.

I took one look at the washer/dryer my wife picked out and with all the bells and whistles and electronic boards I just knew this baby is not going to last three years without a visit from Sears.

When the fridge repair guy got here he noticed the washer/dryer and asked if I had an extended warranty on it and I said yes. He said it probably was a smart move because the board (?) was really, really expensive.

Jeremy, regarding global warming. My opinion is yes there is global warming,but the amount caused by us is practically non-existant if at all. How arrogant of us to think we could effect the entire planet.

Appears to me that the tides, the sun and distances from the sun and the core heat of the earth is a lot more powerful than my aerosol can of shaving cream.

Trouble is we need to separate the global warming freaks and non-polluting our planet effort which is important.

Username: Tensai

I am having an issue with the color wheel howling on my HD50LPW62 model. I have read multiple mentions of replacing it on this board. I actually was able to get the part in, but upon taking apart the back of the tv, I am lost. Does anyone have any install instructions for this?

Bronze Member

US

Post Number: 39
Corey o,

I do not have any instructions, though someone here may, but as a last resort you can order the service manual online through a PDF file @

http://www.servicemanuals.net/service.aspx

I ordered one for my Sony for around $16.00 and it has detailed pictures, diagrams, and part numbers too. It might pay for itself by just ordering parts online versus dealer prices.

Jeremy,
Thanks for the quick response. I actually have a service manual I got for the tv. Sadly, it doesn't seem to have much I can make heads or tails of, as it already assumes you have the tv taken apart. Most of the information contained in the manual is voltages and stuff. I might order another one and see if it's different than what I have.

Corey, Once you get the back panel off, you have to remove the front screen.Actually it was quite easy. Then you can finally get at the color wheel screws. Good Luck

hmmm... Last time I had the back all the way off, i tried to get the screen off too. I was able to loosen it, but it felt like there was a screw in the middle where I couldn't get to it. Maybe I just need to take it to a pro :-)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us