Archive through December 23, 2005

Bronze Member
Username: Jumpback

Post Number: 15
KarenfromCanada, My set was 13 months old. Warranty's in the States are 12 months. So, it was outside the warranty. Interestingly enough, the set which was replaced because apparantly no bulbs are available, was a replacement from RCA for a set that had no parts available for it either. Replacement sets, I was informed by RCA, are only warranteed for three months. Which seems odd to me, but I dont want to seem ungrateful.

So, in answer to your question RCA really came thru if the warranty was 10 months past the three months.

Despite prostentations that bulbs are available by posters on this site, I find that difficult to fathom. I dont believe RCA would be handing out $3,000 television sets in lieu of providing bulbs which people are willing to pay the $336.00 charge.

Username: Ercservice

Miami, Fl Usa

Post Number: 1
Just to add some info about the lamps, we did several test with different types of lamps, and not, the UHP 100W 1.3 Philips E23 IS NOT COMPATIBLE WITH THE RCA televisions, the W151 coming from factory with 2 types of lamps, the 260962 (Philips bulb) and the 265103 (Osram bulb) the bulb of the 260962 can be replaced ONLY with a Philips bulb of 1.0 ARC gap
DON'T USE A 1.3 bulb, it will develop a color stability problems, flicker and reduced life

The Lamp need to mach the ballast and the ballast of a 1.3 lamp is different of the 1.0 lamp
IS IMPORTANT UNDERSTAND THAT A LAMP WITH 1.0 GAP IS DIFFERENT OF A LAMP OF 1.3 GAP

In some cases a lamp of 1.0 gap will work as replacement of one of 1.3 but NEVER a lamp of 1.3 will work (efficiently) as replacement of one of 1.0 The internal impedance is different.

Another thing, bulbs OSRAM and PHILIPS are different don't try to use one instead other.

Miami, Fl Usa

Post Number: 2
Another thing, the LAMP 260962 is available at least we still have it in stock and also their compatible bulbs. the 265103 is not available, but it can be replaced with the 260962 or their compatible bulb. you will need to replaced also their ballast with the 261629 just to mach the Philips bulb
Finally the RCA set are pretty good with an affordable price tag, and the availability of the lamps IS NOT A RCA problem, currently most Lamps MFG run with a big delay, some with up to 18 months. If you check others TV MFG you will see that is not a RCA Problem only.

RandyM
Unregistered guest
Dr H, I misspoke about the color wheels. The light engine gurus tell me that the early light engine in the W151 only used ball bearings, although later shipments were improved. The sleeve bearings were used on later generation engines. As long as you are careful handling the color wheel you should be ok, but don't pick it up by the glass sections.

Jose, thank you for your input from the sales point of view. I appreciate your comments. However, I disagree with your advice regarding 1.3mm gap lamps. They may exhibit a slight color temperature difference, but performance otherwise should be fine as a replacement lamp. I wouldn't hesitate to use one as a replacement. You are absolutely correct about the importance of matching Philips lamps with Philips ballasts and matching Osram lamps with Osram ballasts.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 16
Jose or RandyM,
What is the manufacturer and bulb # for the new 175 set? Are they available? My set is a three days old and I was wondering if I should get my order in now!

Unregistered guest
Noisey HP50LPW42! Hi I have already dealt with the lamp issues everybody seems to have. Mine went out in less than a year but the service person RCA sent had one installed in a little over a week so no big deal.

Now I have this really bad humming/high pitched squeeling noise that is always there but gets REALLY loud at times. Looking at the posts it sounds like a color wheel problem? I have already inspected the fan and it runs quiet. any other suggestions before I order parts? The tv is out of warranty so I am going to attempt the repair. I had some experience repairing consumer electronics in the past, VCR's and such so I'm comfortable with the job just not the diagnosis.

Thanks

Glen

Dr H
Unregistered guest
Randy, I ordered the color wheel and I'm gonna do it myself. How do I check my lamp usage on the HDLP50W151? I tried menu & channel down to get the menu but was unable to locate that info.Thanks.

Silver Member
Username: Fyi

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 505
It's the color wheel. Replacement is not very difficult. These wheels are mounted in front of the lamp housing and are held by a few screws. First, clean the fans and anything else that looks dusty in there. A vac hose with a brush works well. Allow any particles to settle. Observe the routing of the wire harnesses on the wheel. Don't touch the actual wheel on the new one. They are fragile and must remain clean. Just install the new one exactly as the original was. With some models it's easier if you slide the light engine tray out some. This will involve removing some screws and loosening some wire harnesses and/or ground straps, but it makes access better with some models. No big deal.

RandyM
Unregistered guest
Jumpback, your lamp should be a Philips. Stock number is 269343. You will have to call the RCA Service number to check availability.

Dr H, email me at Birdman46077@yahoo.com.

KarenfromCanada
Unregistered guest
"Finally the RCA set are pretty good with an affordable price tag, and the availability of the lamps IS NOT A RCA problem, currently most Lamps MFG run with a big delay, some with up to 18 months. If you check others TV MFG you will see that is not a RCA Problem only. "

Jose, while this may be true, that the lamp availability and pricing are not an RCA problem, RCA should not be selling expensive TV's unless they are certain the bulbs are affordable and available for the long term. RCA should have safegaurds in place with the manufacturer. In Canada the replacment bulb for my TV is $685 and mine went in 11 months. Needless to say, I am not happy that I will have to spend $685 each year to replace the bulb, hence why I am wondering if the other bulbs I mentioned will work as they are a much cheaper option.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 17
Is it just me or does it make no sense to anyone else that an $1800 dollar television set should have a $685 bulb?
Karenfromthefrozentundra, you hit the nail on the head. What kind of due diligence is RCA doing if they depend on flaky manufacturers who cannot supply the most integral part of the set and the part that is most likely to fail after 1 or 2 years?

Thanks Randy for the info on the bulb. I'll start saving my pennies now for its eventual replacement.

RandyM
Unregistered guest
The most expensive lamp should be in the $450 range. The newest ones are in the $200-300 range. It seems to me that $685 puts a lot of money in the pocket of a distributor. Although there are lamps that fail in a year's time, many last 5,000 hours or more, which should translate into several years.

Miami, Fl Usa

Post Number: 3
Dear Karen and Jumpback

Maybe you are right but as I said before, This is not a RCA problem if you check the actual market you will find that's not a problem with the TV manufacturers, almost all brands have that problem, Toshiba have a long backorder with some models, same with Sony and JVC, Samsung had it few months ago, is nearly impossible get some Infocus lamps and so on. The lamp business grow a lot in the last years and no one of the lamp manufactures was able to prevent it.

The life of a Lamp is still far to be reliable and exact some can fail after few hours but others in the same batch can last several thousand of hours. its the nature of the technology.

Anyway If I were a customer I will always keep a spare lamp in hand, you never know when the lamp will fail although I have to said that we have replaced lamps with 16000 hours and its not rare to us find lamps with 10000 hours and still working.

Spend $1800 dollar in a television with a $685 bulb maybe don't make sense to you. but out there you will find $3000 televisions with comparable picture quality and lamp cost. You can spend the money saving in buying 2 spare lamps.

Miami, Fl Usa

Post Number: 4
As Randy said $685 is a lot of money although I don't know the Canadian market, but in US the new ones are a lot more cheap.

karenfromcanada
Unregistered guest
In Canada, I paid $3000 Canadian for my set. The prices on DLP's have come down over the last year to around $2500, however I think the RCA scenium's are still around $3000+. I will be ordering my bulbs from the USA and driving to pick them up. (luckily I am in a border city and can do that easily.) Thanks for all the info. I do LOVE the TV, was just really disappointed when the bulb blew.

I am using it on a regular satellite signal. Is there any large difference by paying the extra for the HD satellite broadcasts?

Karenfromthetundra---LOL. I am actually SOUTH of Detroit in Canada

RandyM
Unregistered guest
Karen, I don't subscribe to HD satellite myself. I get about 8 local channels in HD over the air with a small 6-foot antenna in my attic (all you have to do is connect it to the air antenna input). Believe me, if you haven't seen the HD on NFL, NASCAR, or evening sitcoms, be prepared to be blown away. It is fabulous!

Anonymous

I have an RCA model # HDLP50W151YX1 and the lamp went (~2 years of life). What is the expected life of one of these lamps? I read in an earlier post about the TV distance from the floor being important? Is this correct and if so, what is the distance for my set? Also, what is the optimum room temp for the set?

Anonymous

I have an RCA model # HDLP50W151YX1 and the lamp went (~2 years of life). What is the expected life of one of these lamps? I read in an earlier post about the TV distance from the floor being important? Is this correct and if so, what is the distance for my set? Also, what is the optimum room temp for the set?

RandyM
Unregistered guest
Anon, the average lamp life seems to be about 5,000 hours, so it depends how many hours you watch per day. Unfortunately, there seems to be a pretty wide range in actual lamp hours and I can certainly understand everyone's frustration with that. Earlier I told someone to not put the set directly on shag carpeting, because some shag is long enough to begin to block the airflow from beneath the set. For best viewing, find a short 12-15" stand to raise the middle of the screen up even with your eyes when you are sitting in your chairs or sofa. Room temperature is not going to effect the life or performance of the set.

Dr H
Unregistered guest
Randy thanks for your help. I have now ordered my christmas presents in the form of a color wheel and a lamp. The lamp 260962 has 6958 hours of use with a plug in of 16722 hours. I guess I'll stop falling a sleep in front of this tv.

Anonymous

RandyM,

I have been comparing the technologies (DLP,Plasma, & LCD). I really like the look and feel of the DLP experience. I especially liked the very slim DLP model that RCA(TTE) offered. Way cool! However I been very hesitant to take the plunge due to concerns about the "mechanical" aspects of this technology along with the long term lamp care and feeding (high maintenance costs). Can you comment on this at all?

RandyM
Unregistered guest
There are pluses and minuses of all three technologies. The pluses for DLP are the best overall picture, light weight, biggest bang for the buck. The minuses are "care and feeding", as you stated, and "you can't hang it on a wall". We tried to address the later with our ultra slim model. Unfortunately, not enough customers liked it to keep it going for us, but it was a technological marvel that won many design awards.

Anonymous

I have a wireless network, and a D-Link 802.11b/g USB adaptor. I also have a USB to ethernet adaptor. I hooked it to my set and went into the web browser tab in the menu. It did not recognize it (the USB adaptor is recognized on my network - I unplugged it from my computer where it was working). Is there anything I need to do to make it see it? DO I have to enter in the MAC? I would like to knoe if this will work or not before buying the wireless keyboard.

Another problem. I have my DVD connected with component (blue, red, green) and set up to that way in the menu. However, the set doesn't display anything (other than unusable signal). Not sure if I'm describing it correctly, let me know if you need additional info.

Thanks
Scott

Bronze Member
Username: Cheneyp

CT

Post Number: 14
Anonymous - my opinion is that the browser on the set is not really worth using. It's basically a WindowsCE platform and there are many websites that do not work properly because of this (and other things).

For the DVD - are you using a standard DVD player or progressive scan player (480i or 480p) or are you using an upscaling DVD player(720p or 1080i)? Depending on your RCA model, 720p is not accepted in any input (other than coaxial) - and you will get the "unusable signal" indication.

Anonymous

I basically wanted the internet for the upgrades - The set has hardly been used since I bought it. Plugged in for 15,000 hours and on for 700 hours. I'm not even sure I need to have the updates.

The DVD player is progressive scan. When I set the DVD setting to progressive scan I get the unusable signal. I guess I'll just have to live with it the way it is.

Thanks
Scott

RandyM
Unregistered guest
Anon, you probably don't need the updates unless you are having problems that the updates might fix. As PaulC notes, the early models (W151 and W42) did not accept 720p component. Actually, you are likely to get the best picture if you turn the progressive scan off on your DVD player and let the television do the upconversion. The upconverter in the television is better than 90% of the DVD players out there.

RandyM
Unregistered guest
Oh, and I agree with PaulC on the browser. It's interesting, but not real practical. It tends to be slow and many websites these days require downloaded cookies, which the television has no memory to store them.

Anonymous

Thanks PaulC and RandyM

Scott

Username: Nhstan

My kids are trying to connect Xbox and Playstation II to my HD50LPW63 TV. The problem is that there is a lag between what shows on the screen and the input devices. For example, if I want to shoot something on the screen, I have to pull the trigger a split second before the object gets in the target zone because the TV image is lagging behind the actual game. I'm assuming this is becasue of the extra processing time the chip needs before it sends the image to the screen. I've hooked the console up to 2 or 3 inputs (including the front and the AntA & B coax connectors) but nothing makes a difference. Has anyone else experienced this and if so is there anyway around this?

Thanks

bt9809
Unregistered guest
I was considering the 50lpw175, but was wondering why the replacement bulbs for most RCA's are twice what bulbs for all other brands.

Jabberwv
Unregistered guest
I am a newbie here, but have read the messages with facination. I have a HD61LPW163 and I have a couple of questions:
1. I am trying to connect my IPOD to the front input with no success. I am changing the inputs, and it works through my cheap vcr front inputs, so I know the cable/ipod works. I have also tried connecting a radio the same way, with the same results. Are the inputs not working?

2. I would like to use my TV as a monitor for my laptop, but I only have a nine-pin monitor out connection. Is there an adapter to convert that to HDMI? Or is there another way?
Thanks in advance for the replies that are forth-coming and have a Merry Christmas!

Steve

RandyM
Unregistered guest
Jabberwv, 1) the aux inputs mute the audio jacks when video is not present. This is done to prevent the customer from being blasted with noise if video isn't present. The reason why your VCR works is because it puts out a blue field or a screen saver which unmutes the audio.

2) The best way to accomplish this is a small VGA to component video adapter. You might do a search on the web for one. Converting to HDMI would be expensive.

bt9808, I think the replacement lamps for the W175 are in the neighborhood of $200, which is much cheaper than early models, which included a cartridge. Maybe Jose is still monitoring this thread and can let you know his price. All DLP lamps are made by 2-3 companies, so there shouldn't be much price difference between television manufacturers.

Rich, I understand what you are up against, but I don't know a way around it. Unlike lip sync, this is a sensor that the game controls and the games isn't allowing for tv processing time.

Eric Mercer
Unregistered guest
I have an RCA model # HDLP50W151YX1. After turning off the set. I have to unplug the power and remove and then replace the lamp to get the TV to turn back on. If I don't remove the lamp, it acts like the lamp is burnt out when I try to start the TV. Thoughts?

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 514
Look for it to dim and/or pop soon.
I'd get it fired up and leave it on 24/7 until it does just that. Get your spare ready!

Cscliff
Unregistered guest
karenfromcanada,
Back to your question about the HD Satellite upgrade. I am in Maryland and have used an expensive antenna to recieve HD Broadcasts and also have used Comcast Cable to view HD Broadcasts. My conclusion is that the Cable Broadcasts are not only more plentiful but the quality is drastically better than with an antenna. I would imagine that satellite company's would be similar but not as good as cable. The rule is a hard wired signal is always better than satellite.With an antenna you also do not get the cable hd networks like discovery channel which, in my opinion, are down right amazing.

Eric Mercer
Unregistered guest
The problem is, it's a brand new lamp! Anyone else have this problem? See post on Dec 16.

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 515
I would say it's the ballast except that it fires the lamp afer reseating. Some lamps can be defective right out of the box. If it was provided by RCA they will exchange it. Otherwise, lamps have a 90 to 180 day warranty from the manufacturer.

Don in Houston
Unregistered guest
Rich Stanley,
My son has been one of the lucky ones enjoying his Xbox 360 on an RCA DLP (HDLP50W151). He tells me he notices no lag in response. Are you sure its the TV? I have heard of lag in some early original Xbox wireless controllers.

Miami, Fl Usa

Post Number: 5
Eric: Your Symptoms can be traced to a bad ballast, defective lamp, bad power supply, color wheel don't start, etc, etc.
Your unit did the same thing with the old lamp?

Can you hear if the color wheel spins when you turn on the TV?

The lamp cover is secured to the unit?

Can you hear if the ballast is tying to fire the lamp? (It makes a soft spark noise)

In my experience only 1% of the lamps are defective right out of the box or in the first hours, but maybe you got the defective one.

bt9809: The lamp for the W175 is $237 and it's a good price compared to other TV brands.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 19
Good to know that the lamp for the W175 is priced where it is. The BIG question is AVAILABILITY.

Having gone thru the frustration of not finding a lamp for my W42 model this is a huge concern to me.

My W175 is only a week old so I have time...I hope!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 20
I forgot to mention. The 61" W175 is plain awesome. I love it. Best picture I have seen on a large screen. The blacks are very rich and dark and in HD mode it is sensational.

Have a question. TV guy hooked up the Direct TV to input #2 which works great. The HDMI plug in on the set is much smaller than my W42 set so I cannot use that plug. My DVD is hooked into Input #1 and the picture is not as 'crisp' as I would like to see. Is Input #1 inferior to other inputs like #2?

Is there an adapter that I could use to connect the HDMI mini plug in?

Karenfrom Canada
Unregistered guest
Is there any advantage to using an upconverting DVD player vs a normal DVD player. Also, if the upconverting DVD has the HDMI plug and the TV does not (W151) can you get any sort of adapter to use this connection, or will the other options be ok (ie: component video)

Karenfrom Canada
Unregistered guest
Is there any advantage to using an upconverting DVD player vs a normal DVD player. Also, if the upconverting DVD has the HDMI plug and the TV does not (W151) can you get any sort of adapter to use this connection, or will the other options be ok (ie: component video)

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 521
Jumpback,

That larger digital connection is called a DVI. The smaller one is HDMI. There are lot's of adapters out there. Just don't buy one for $25 bucks when you can have one come to your door for $7 shipping included.

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?sofocus=bs&sbrftog=1&catref=C3&from=R10 &satitle=dvi+to+hdmi+adapter&sacat=-1%26catref%3DC6&bs=Search&fsop=1%26fsoo%3D1& coaction=compare&copagenum=1&coentrypage=search&fgtp=&sargn=-1%26saslc%3D2&sadis =200&fpos=75181&ftrt=1&ftrv=1&saprclo=&saprchi=

Karen,

Your set can scale a 480i/p DVD signal as good as most any upconverting DVD player.

People who say a DVI/HDMI connection is better than component (Y, Pr, Pb) are trying to make themselves feel better about their expensive digital cabe purchase.

Joshua Morris
Unregistered guest
I stumbled across this site and must say RANDY you are an amazing resource! I have a 50" that I bought from COSTCO...I'm sorry I don't know the exact model# that is about 10 months old. Now when I turn it on I get a high pitched buzzing. It actually starts low pitched and ramps up. Usually if I turn off the set and turn it back on it will go away.
What is causing this?
If it matters I have lamp type B.

Don in VA
Unregistered guest
I have to echo Joshua'a comment on Randy. I have been looking for quite some time to get some answers on my set.

How can you tell the amount of hours on a bulb? The set has been flickering and anytime you plug a external component into it (DVD, X-box, etc..) it will play for a little and then go dark/dark red. The only way to get it to reset is to pause the show, and reboot the TV. Strangely enough, if I switch to HD while the problem occurs, it works perfectly. It only happens on external things that are plugged in to the front or back, minus the HD receiver. This set was bought a few years back, but has hardly been used. Any thoughts on why it would be doing this?

Unregistered guest
I just bought a RCA HD50LPW162 (maybe 4 I forget) as an open buy from Bestbuy. It was working at the store but when I got it home every source I connected to it gave me a "unusable input" message. Suddenly the DVD I had playing started. It worked for a while but then I tried it later it wasn't working and have not been able to get the cable hookup to work. The TV is also making a very audible humming noise. Any one have an ideas what's going on?

Al in MA
Unregistered guest
Don in VA,
I have the same problem on my HD61LPW42. It blacks out after a few minutes when tuned to a digital or analog channel on cable. Does the same when watching a DVD. But I can switch to a HD channel and everyting is fine. If I switch back, the screen is still dark with a little faint red. It started doing it whe the set was a month old and has gotten worse to the point I can only watch HD channels.

Username: Donc

AL IN MA (from the former Don in VA)

I spoke to customer service today and they have no idea. I have had the problem for a long time but have not had time to sit on the phone for assistance. CS had no idea and every question I asked came back with the same answer of "call a repairman". I found the instructions in an earlier thread on how to check the lamp. To show you how little it has been used: It has been plugged in for 14013 (583 days) hours and used only 1341 hours. I am a little frustrated that with under 56 days of use I cannot get anything other than call the repair person for a hundred bucks an hour. I am hoping taht Randy chimes in with some expertise in this area, after several hours on the phone today, I think he may be the only one who knows what he is talking about. We should plug him for a pay raise!

yogi the stock guru
Unregistered guest
Randy,

I need a replacement remote for the HD50LPW162. Can you tell me where I can purchase it? Best Buy is going to reimburse me for it since they did not provide it when I bought the floor model. Thanks

Username: Jleitman

Virginia Beach, Va USA

Randy:

Was there any resolution to the triangle problem
as posted by slick fifty? I too have the same problem.

Thanks in advance.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 21
Al in Ma,
I dont know if you have read all the posts for the last month on this site, but you have a problem brewing. There are no lamps available for your set. RCA has replaced my set which was the same set you have with a brand new unit (175 model). I had to wait about two months for them to inform me my lamp waiting was in vain. At that time they called me up and offered the new television.

Thought you should know. While you may not have a problem with a lamp at this point it is just a matter of time. My suggestion would be to order a lamp from RCA now...get on their so-called waiting list. Who knows they might actually get some in (dont hold your breath) or have you wait a few months and then out of the blue offer you a new unit.

Miami, Fl Usa

Post Number: 6
Dear Jumpback.
Your are right about the no availability of the lamp for the HD50LPW162 but we got a confirmation that soon we will received the 265103 and today we received all others lamps in backorder, at this moment we are full in stock of the 260962, 265866, 265109 and 269343, the only model we are still awaiting is the 265103
Lamp availability appears to return to normal.

Today I had the opportunity to inspect a W175 set and their Lamp 269343. Do you know that this set have the newest lamp designed by Philips?
It's the latest design of Philips 100/120W with an improved Air Cooler channel through the bulb. Some prototypes of this design lasted over 20 thousand hours in the laboratory, I still don't know the rate life they assigned to this bulb, but it is the best and coolest UHP lamp out there. This reason among with the high quality picture put the RCA W175 in the top list of DLP televisions.

I guest that I will not see many W175 Lamp sales.

RandyM
Unregistered guest
Thanks for all the kind comments. It is just a small way I can help people out.

Joshua, I don't know for certain what is causing your set to buzz. It could be a lamp or lamp ballast problem or it could be a coil in the power supply that is vibrating (singing). When you face the back of the set, the power supply is on the left side and the ballast and lamp are on the right. That might help you figure out which it is.

Alec, have you tried going through the entire set-up and autoprogram sequence? If it was on the floor at BB, it might be confused on what type signals are applied to what inputs.

Al and Don, I have never seen the problem you describe before. HD signals go through a different signal path in the digital module, so I've got to think something is going on in there. A good 10-15 minute ac power interruption might clear the symptom, but, as Don noted, it might not be permanent. I'm sorry, guys, I don't know an easy solution.

Yogi, I would call RCA Service at 1-800-338-0376 to order a remote. Any servicer is going to do the same thing and just add time to the process of getting one.

Jim, no, I never heard back from SlickFifty. I assume you saw my last comment to him about the foam circle. . . I would suggest the same to you. All you need is a torx screwdriver to remove the screen. Let me know what you find out.

Al in MA
Unregistered guest
Don,
I bought a new bulb last week from Jose (above post)for $409.00 and received it in 3 days. It was a 260962 bulb. Keeping it as a spare.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 22
AlinMA,
Does the 260962 bulb work in the RCA HD61LPW42? I thought the only bulb that fit that set was the #265103. Are bulbs interchangeable? I would think not, otherwise RCA would have sent me that bulb and not a new television.

What gives?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 23
Jose,
Wow, good news for the 175 set. 20,000 hours..Yipee! At the rate we use the television that would be about May!!!

This is a great tv..

cwinnola
Unregistered guest
I had to write to this forum even though I never do anything like this. Flat out, RCA makes the worst product on the market. Don't listen to Randy M. He gets PAID to make everything sound rosie. I purchased the TV he keeps touting, the HD50LPW175. One day (ONE!) after it was delivered, it started turning itself on and off every three minutes. I couldn't stop it without unplugging it. So, I called Thompson (the service branch of RCA's parent). They couldn't answer any of my questions, nor did they seem to care. When I called from work, they refused to answer ANY questions until I gave them a serial number (which is kind of hard to get when your TV is at home). The RCA authorized repair centers also blew me off. Told me there was a six week wait for someone to come look at the TV. I was unaware TV repair was such a high volume business, but why am I not shocked that the RCA repair people are so busy? Long story short, I went back to Best Buy and they immediately agreed to replace the TV. Interestingly, all the Best Buy salespeople had told me to stay away from RCA to begin with, but I chose the damn thing on looks. Won't make that mistake again. Best Buy gave me $800 off a Panasonic DLP for my troubles. RCA is garbage. It's just a fact and any attempt to call it something else isn't calling a spade a spade.

Bronze Member
Username: Cheneyp

CT

Post Number: 15
cwinnola - I can appreciate your frustration. Sounds like you got a "bad egg". I've had my 50" W42 for about 10 months now and couldn't be happier. I've been watching this forum and those on AVSForum and I have never heard of the problem you are describing discussed. Of course, it could be a new issue....Not sure how you can say how RCA is "garbage" based on your one experience (although for you it is one experience out of one, which I understand is frustrating). Most of us on this forum are happy with our RCAs. The bulb issue seems to be the common issue people are having but it is not uncommon on other brands. You may want to check the Panasonic thread on this forum as people are talking petitions and lawsuits for lamp issues on those sets....

Al in MA
Unregistered guest
Jumpback,
I hope 260962 bulb is the correct one for HD61LPW42! I haven't installed it as my old one is still working. The instuctions that came with my set only call out this lamp number.

Al in MA
Unregistered guest
Jumpback,
Here is the URL where I found the lamp:
http://www.betterlamps.com/comersus/store/comersus_viewItem.asp?idProduct=21

It lists the HD61LPW42 for the 260962 lamp.

Miami, Fl Usa

Post Number: 7
Dear cwinnola I also understand your frustration but you need to consider that many things can go wrong not matter what brand of TV you bought. It can be damage on the shipping or some thing can be defective, is the nature of the technology, the worst thing is the delay of the Repair Shop, maybe their aren't many in your area, It is a national problem, many repair shops close their doors because they found that this profession is difficult and not anymore profitable like years ago, but this is common to ALL brands, I guess if your Panasonic need some technical assistance you will find same trouble.
Please read this page for more information. http://www.ercservice.com/learning/industryissues.html

Maybe Randy get paid by RCA but if its the case now tell me how many manufactures representatives help the people in this forum ?

Miami, Fl Usa

Post Number: 8
Al in MA

Don't worry the HD61LPW42 use the 260962

The confusion start with the HDLP50W151 some use the 260962 (Type A) and others the 265103 (Type B)

sydney
Unregistered guest
I also have the HD50LPW162 model with the extended warranty from Best Buy. After reading through all these issues on getting bulb 265103 I am a bit worried. I've had my TV since May 2005 and so far so good but, I am wondering if I need to order my replacement bulb now. Does anyone know if Best Buy will reimburse you if you pre-order the replacement bulb? Also, can another bulb be used in place of the 265103?

It looks like only two sets by RCA use the 265103 bulb (W151 and W162) so, will there will be a sortage of these bulbs in the future? Do other manufacturers use the same bulb?

Thanks for your help.

Al in MA

I am a little hesitant to buy another bulb at this point. It sounds like there is some internal wiring problem to external components. I have switched cables and tried different DVD players with the same result,

Randy, do you have a suggested path to take on this? With the Tv being used as little as it has I feel "cheated" having to pay for a repair person to come out. I tired CS, but that was the only suggestion, they cold not even tell me what part number I needed for the lamp.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 24
Al in MA,
Well, if your manual says the bulb for your set is #260962 and Jose says that is the bulb then that must be the bulb.

I find it strange though that after two months of calling all over the nation to different wholesalers of bulbs and speaking with RCA the only bulb they mentioned to use in the HD61LPW42 is bulb #265103. No one EVER brought up another bulb number.

Perhaps my set, which was 13 months old at the time of the bulb failure, was older (or newer) than yours and they indeed changed bulbs.

The fact that RCA provided me with a $3,000 new television in lieu of sending me the bulb you have has me puzzled.

As a check, you might want to call RCA directly and see if the bulbs are interchangeable and why. If you do let all of us know because this is a mighty vexing problem.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 25
Just for the heck of it, I went to an advertiser on this site (www.alltvlamps.com) and they indicate that lamp #265103 is in stock!

RandyM
Unregistered guest
Don, as I posted earlier, I've never heard of the problem you describe, but from your info I would guess that it is in the digital module and not the lamp/light engine. An ac power cycle only temporarily fixes the problem, so it may actually be a heat related issue. As frustrating as it may be, calling a servicer is probably your only choice. I'd like to know what he finds out.

Jumpback, I'm not close enough to the service group to know what goes on, but it almost sounds to me that either 1) there was confusion about what lamps can be used in what models or 2) somebody messed up and incorrectly gave you a replacement set. However, sounds like you got a sweet deal.

RandyM
Unregistered guest
Some of the lamp confusion may be the fact that some models were built with both Type A(Philips) and Type B(Osram) lamps. The lamp ballast must match the lamp type, so be careful about this in ordering lamps.

Miami, Fl Usa

Post Number: 9
Jumpback

I told you yesterday the only Lamp we were still awaiting was the 265103.

Ok, we also received it today, but in limited qty just to cover the pending orders and only few remain in stock, but we will receive more on first days of January, the bad news is the next, probably the next order will coming with and substantial increase in the price. It appear that Osram have raise the cost of the lamp.

Miami, Fl Usa

Post Number: 10
Don, as Randy said, I also don't think the problem of your unit is the lamp
If your unit work fine with HD forget the lamp, the problem is something in the signal patch (inside your unit) I am a TV Technician but your problem is not common and I am unable to diagnosis it without take a look inside your TV.
Some problems are easy like a connector loose and others require an expensive board replacement.
At this point is when a extended warranty worth each dollar, I always suggest to my customer get an extended warranty, unfortunately every day I see many broken TVs and in most case replacement boards are required, The electronics of today is each time more difficult to repair at component level.

Sorry about the news but its time to find a Technician, if you get that way, try to locate one who is member of NESDA.
NESDA members are dedicated to self-improvement through education, cooperation, information-sharing, and the betterment of the industry.
You can use the service locator from here: http://www.nesda.com/locator/state_search.php

Jose / Randy

Thanks for the input, I guess it is time to call in a tech. I will let you know what I find out.

Unregistered guest
I bought the HD50LPW42 in May of 04. Lamp burned out last week and I am waiting on replacement now. Looks like the bad fan noise I had is actually the color wheel bearing going out. Could someone please point me in the right direction to getting the parts and makeing this repair myself. I have read on this forum thats its pretty easy if your inclined to do the work yourself. I have taken the back off and checked the fans they seem to be ok and the damn noise sounds like it is coming from behind the square area about 8-10 inches left of the lamp area. Many Thanks to anyone who can help me.

Big Woo
Unregistered guest
Are the light engine and color wheel the same thing in the HD61LPW42?
I was told two weeks ago that I am waiting for the color wheel, and today I was told I am waiting for the light engine.
Calls to Circuit City, Thompson, and RCA customer service.. none of them seemed to have a clue as to when or if my TV will be repaired.
I was pretty much assured that they will not replace the TV. 4 weeks and waiting.
They are very good at playing the waiting game as long as it's me who has to wait.
Thanks again for your time, I have learned a lot here.

RandyM
Unregistered guest
Big Woo, sorry to hear of your experience. Maybe if you wait them out, they will eventually offer you a new set. Since you have an early model, you would definitely notice the performance improvement if they gave you a new set.

The color wheel is a small part in the light engine. I can't remember if you posted your symptom, but the only reason to change a color wheel is excessive noise (bearings gone bad). All other light engine problems (except bad lamp)probably would require changing the whole engine.

RandyM
Unregistered guest
Ed, I know a few folks here have changed color wheels on that model, so hopefully they will chime in on where they got their color wheels. I would only know to call RCA Service. It is relatively easy on the engine of the W42 model. You will need a very small torx screwdriver if you buy just the wheel and not the wheel/housing. The housing is held to the engine with 2 larger torx screws and 2 cables. You should be looking right at it in the middle of the engine. And don't look into the lamp back there. . .there's some serious UV coming out of there and I don't want you to hurt your eyes.

Bronze Member

Miami, Fl Usa

Post Number: 11
Ed Littell

The part number of the color wheel is 212184 you can order it directly from RCA, any parts distribuitor or we also have it in stock at: http://www.ercservice.com/lamps/RCA.html

It is an easy replacement. the color wheel are mounted in front of the lamp housing. Three screws and two plugs. Don't touch the wheel on the new one. They are fragile and must remain clean.
Althoug I think is easy to replaced I don't recommend it to a customer without technical inclination.

Bronze Member

Miami, Fl Usa

Post Number: 12
I forget one advice: sometimes when we replace the color wheel we need to adjust the new one with the computer and a proprietary software/interface of RCA, it is not common, but sometime is required.

RandyM
Unregistered guest
Sorry, Jose. I would have recommended you, but I didn't know you carried color wheels, too.

Thanks for all of your good input!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 26
I have read with interest most of the questions posed by RCA owners on this site. I really appreciate the expert opinions of those in the know about the problems people have experienced.The internet is a miraculous invention (thanks, Al Gore)for letting people get information and not thinking they are the only ones dealing with issues.

I am wondering if the days of televisions working years and years and years with no problems are a thing of the past.

I think the new sets are becoming more and more throw away items after a few years. Why? The televisions are in the $2500 area. Service contracts can be up to $750 for three years. RCA authorized repair facilities are becoming rare. I live in the Dallas area and there are not many people who want to mess with repairs. The sets are so technically involved that for minor problems they have to install new boards for huge dollars. The sets are huge and house calls and return back to their shops cost money. Parts problems are enormous. No shop seems to carry parts. They depend on wholesalers and distributors for them due to expense and storgage capabilities. Bulbs that cost 25% of the original television price and other expensive parts make repairs after three years or so less inviting. I wont even get into the waiting for parts and repairs to be done. Once your set goes on the blink and the set is taken from you it will be months before you see it again.

You are probably better off getting a new set every fews years and getting the new technology.

I have bought a hundred appliances for the house in the last ten years. Everyone of them after a year or so the manufacturer contacts me for signing up for a service contract. I ususually reject the offers due to cost. However, I would jump at the chance to purchase a service contract on my RCA DLP sets. Guess what? RCA doesnt offer a service contract on the whole set. Just the picture tube. What does that tell you? It tells me one, either they dont have faith in their product to last or two they wont have the parts availalble for the sets or they dont have confidence in their authorized repair centers to repair these complicated beasts.

Just my thoughts and my experience with having three RCA sets in three years.

Merry Christmas to one and all.

RandyM
Unregistered guest
Or, it tells you that we have no interest in being an insurance company and competing against the very retailers that we count on to sell our sets. Extended warranties are BIG business for these retailers.

Actually, nearly all service contract offers come from 3rd party "insurance" companies, not the manufacturers.

Anonymous

"The internet is a miraculous invention (thanks, Al Gore)"

I haven't laughed that hard in a while!

You sound serious. I sure hope you don't believe that joke.
If you do then you get the "Bonehead of the Year" award.

Ron in Illinois
Unregistered guest
Here is another story. I have an HDLP50W151 which started having problems the 1st of Nov. The problem was after warming up, the set would shut off and then turn itself back on after about 3 minutes. The service tech told me I needed a new bulb and power supply. After over a month of waiting, and with Thompson doing a search for parts, Thompson offered to replace my set with an HD61LPW175. My local dealer is to deliver it today

Bronze Member

Post Number: 27
Ron in Illinois,
You are going to love your new set. I have had mine for a few weeks and it is just terrific. If longevity is on par with the picture this is one of the best sets on the market. I have been told that replacement sets are only warranteed for three months so the longevity and reliabilty is a large issue.

One of these days all recipients of new televisions, courtesy of RCA, should have a party.

My point, RandyM, was that whether or not there is a third party insurer, RCA does not offer one. If I buy a refrigerator, a $5,000 stove or whatever the MANUFACTURER offers the extended warranty. Yes, it might be thru an insurance company, but I care not. The fact is they actually OFFER one. Manufacturer's of every other appliance dont seem to mind competing against the retailer.

Anonymous, of course I am serious! Al Gore also invented ice cream, polio shots (aong with Salk) and moon pies.

Bronze Member

Miami, Fl Usa

Post Number: 13
Jumpback

Yes, you are right, you got a picture of the actual industry, but, please, don't think it is a problem with RCA, it's is with almost all brands, I work for many Brands and this issue is common to all, the good think is that, traditional TV brands still have a network of service centers, trained technicians, customer services, distributors and parts, maybe reduced in number and with long delays but they still exist, and if something is wrong they take care of their customers replacing the unit sometimes beyond warranty period.

The worst offenders are the computer manufacturers who now sell TV's, in most cases they don't have ANY support to the customer, and they refuse to exchange the unit 1 day after warranty expires.

One example is Gateway, I had several customers with broken Plasmas, and we were unable to fix due not parts availability, no service centers, not service manual, not tech support. One of they just fail one day after warranty expires, customer service of Gateway told the customer, "forget it, warranty is over" The customer spend $4800 on his Plasma TV and now 1 year after hi have to junk it

Fortunately for California customers now Gateway got sue

"A U.S. class action lawsuit has been filed against business appliance
and consumer electronics maker Gateway, Inc. by a group of consumers in
the U.S. District Court for Southern District of California.

The lawsuit alleges Gateway violated the California Consumer's Legal
Remedies Act (CLRA) and the Song-Beverly Consumer Warranty Act through
its manufacturing, distribution and sales of its GTW Series Plasma
Television sets.

Gateway, which introduced its line of plasma televisions in 2002,
claimed they had "exceptional value and brilliant picture quality." The
complaint alleges, however, that consumers experienced a total failure
of their television sets within a short time after purchase.

It is believed that Gateway's plasma televisions contain defective parts
caused by a design or manufacture defect, which renders the television
sets completely inoperable. Consumers complained that the televisions
emitted "popping sounds" and produced a "burning odor." Local television
repair shops notified complaining consumers that their only recourse
would be to request repairs from Gateway. Despite attempts by consumers
to work with Gateway, replacements parts were unavailable and the
televisions could not be repaired. The televisions varied in price from
U.S. $3,000 to $7,000.

"This is a serious matter," said Anas Akel, counsel on behalf of the
consumers. "It seems that Gateway's poor customer service and forcing
consumers to jump through hoops before honoring its warranties will now
be addressed by the courts. A number of consumers purchased expensive
plasma televisions that Gateway advertised as setting 'new standards for
quality and value.' Yet within months these sets failed and complaints
to Gateway fell on deaf ears."

Consumers are seeking to prevent Gateway from the continued sale of
defective units as well as a number of other remedies that have been
requested in the lawsuit."

Username: Ssmm

Randy M.
You work for RCA.
Can you help me with this?

on a RCA HD61LPW42

It has an issue with powering on - the light flashes on the power switch, which according to the manual indicates that it needs a new lamp (no guarantees on this, but that seems to be what the troubleshooting guide suggests). After a little bit of blinking on the power switch it powers on (could be 1 minute, could be 45 minutes). Once it is on it looks great!

Would a new lamp take care of that problem?
RCA DLP LAMP PART# 265866
Is that the correct lamp it needs?

Thanks.

RandyM
Unregistered guest
Yes, frequent failure to light is a common early warning that the lamp is weak. I work in Product Development, so I am not familiar with the RCA stock numbers. Jose, do you know if that is the right number? Meanshile, if you remove the lamp access door from the back of the set, you can usually see a sticker that has the RCA stock number for the lamp.

Unregistered guest
Is there a updated firmware for my W42 that will take advantage of all of features of my DVR2180?

With my current Firmware there is no record buffer or on screen display of timeshifting and no recorded shows selection in the tv menu.

Bronze Member

Miami, Fl Usa

Post Number: 14
Sam

The HD61LPW42 should use a Lamp# 260962

Ron in Illinois
Unregistered guest
I received my new w175 today to replace the w151 which had problems. The picture is great! I think this has a better picture than the w151 which was replaced.

Dr H
Unregistered guest
Ron from Illinois...was your w151 still under warranty?

Dr H
Unregistered guest
Ron from Illinois....was your w151 still under warranty?

Ron in Illinois
Unregistered guest
Dr H - No, it was about 5 months out of warranty but Thompson replaced it since they couldn't locate the parts after a worldwide search.

Randy M - does the w175 have a stronger OTA tuner than the w151? My new set is pulling in more stations than the old w151 did off my antena.

RandyM
Unregistered guest
Carlos, no, there are no code updates for the W42 to support special features for DVRs.

Ron, there have been a lot of performance improvements since the W151, so I'm not surprised to hear your experience. Regarding the OTA tuner, are you talking about digital channels or analog? The specs have always been pretty tough, and I'm not aware of any significant design changes. However, there are some tuners that are just hotter than others, so maybe you got one with better sensitivity than your old one. Enjoy the new set!

Virginia Beach, Va USA

Randy:

No resolution to the triangle. Just finished removeing screen and inspecting (from the lens out).

Do not see any dust barrier at the lens. I only see the lens followed by the two mirrors (I have digital pictures if it will help). I also turned the TV on and can see triangular image/blockage while looking at the first mirror. I took a small hand mirror to inspect the lens up close to no avail.

I wonder if anyone else has experienced this problem other than Slick Fifty and did Slick Fifty solve his?

Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload

RandyM
Unregistered guest
Jim, great pictures. Nothing quite like troubleshooting by internet. You hadn't mentioned your model, but this one doesn't have the foam circle I mentioned earlier. The square gray window blocks stray light and improves contrast ratio. From your pictures, it looks like it might be slightly tilted. Do you think that it might be causing the triangle? If so it wouldn't be a developed problem. Has the triangle always been there or did it develop? I'm not in the lab until Jan. 3, so I don't have an engine in front of me. . . I don't want to mess up your focus, but can you rotate the lens or is it locked down?

No word back from Slick Fifty.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 28
Ron in Illinois,
Your terminology, "World Wide Search" sounds so familiar. On the first set that RCA replaced two years ago they told me the same thing. (That set would not turn on). This time, looking for the same bulb you have (had), they also performed one of their World Wide Searches.

Enjoy your new tv...I sure hope the Winter Olympics are in HD!

Virginia Beach, Va USA

Post Number: 4
Randy:

I have reassembled the set. Trouble did not start untill I replaced the lamp. I took the lamp back out to look for obstructions and did not see any. The triangular blockage is transparent. I can see the picture through it.

TV is a HD61LPW42 SERIAL E135C40BP

Virginia Beach, Va USA

Post Number: 5
Randy:

See actual trouble. Any additional research or help would be great. Happy Holidays!Upload

Ron in Illinois
Unregistered guest
RandyM - I am talking digital. I am also picking up a couple of additional HD channels in 16X9.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us