Archive through November 06, 2005

Sydney
Unregistered guest
Question for anyone... I have a progressive scan dvd player hooked up to the component input of my RCA 162 tv. The dvd player is set to 480p and 16:9. When I watch a dvd in widescreen format it displays the picture in 4:3. Then I have the option for changing the format to Cinerama, zoom etc. I thought the tv upconverts the component input from 480p to 720p thus it should be in displayed in 16:9 format automatically. Any suggestions?

formerly xvxvxvx
Unregistered guest
Upconverting a 480i or 480p signal does not make it an HD signal. Only HD or on rare ocassions in the past by FOX 480p is broadcast in the 16:9 ratio. This is why you must manually choose to stretch any input which does not originate in a widescreen format. For that matter when watching a DVD be sure you have purchased a widescreen version and not a fullscreen version. If you have widescreen and then select the proper stretch mode the program will be properly displayed on your screen. If you insert a fullscreen version into your DVD player when you stretch it to fit your display it will be a simulated 16:9 and will always have some incorrect geometric corrections by necessity.

Your next question will likely be about black bars on your screen when viewing an anamorphic DVD originally shot in 2:35 to 1 ratio. :-)

xvxvxvx

Sydney
Unregistered guest
I viewed a movie in widescreen format and it displayed in the 4:3 format. I stretched it to the Cinerama mode (with black bars on top and bottom) but, the picture looked slightly distorted. Then there are other formats of zoom and full screen. I tried another an anamorphic dvd and again it displayed first in 4:3 until I stretched it to Cinerama mode (black bars on top and bottom). This mode didn't appear distorted like the previous dvd.

Ron Moha
Unregistered guest
Hello Guys:

I need your help, I bid on ebay for
RCA D61LPW42 61" 16x9 DLP HDTV w/INTEGRATED ATSC TUNER! PROGRESSIVE SCAN, GUIDE PLUS+ & NETCONNECT! LIKE NEW!.

I have won the auction for $1825.00, with $225.00 extra for shipping.

I am reading a lot about HD2 v/s HD2+ and HD3.

Is this a wise buy, getting an RCA D61LPW42 61" for under $2100 delivered to my door.

Or is it a step backwards.

See I really want to get a BIG (61'' or bigger) tv, am I crazy buying from Ebay and is it really old (HD2)?

Thank you for your help in letting me decide what do to.

Thanks again to all of you experts.

Ron

formerly xvxvxvx
Unregistered guest
Ron,

It depends on how many hours the bulb has been used. If only a few hundred it is a fair price. If over 1000 then I believe you made a poor deal.

Yes it is HD2 technology, no it isn't bad at all, just not as good as HD2+ but for my taste more crisp than HD3.

Personally I'd never purchase a projection TV on E-Bay unless the return/refusal policy was extremely skewed in my favor and not the seller.

xvxvxvx

formerly xvxvxvx
Unregistered guest
Sydney,

Your problem is that your DVD player is not setup properly for your 16:9 display. in the DVD menu somewhere it should ask you if you have either a 16:9 display or want to output 4:3 letterbox or 4:3 pan and scan. You need to make the change then it will be sent to your display properly with no further need for stretching.

xvxvxvx

Sydney
Unregistered guest
xvxvxvx,

Thanks for the info. I have my DVD player set on 480p and 16:9 display. The question is what screen format should the TV be set to, Normal, Cinerama, Stretch or Zoom?

There is also an automatic format switching option that can be selected. But, if that option is selected it displays the screen in 4:3 (Normal) format.

I tried defaulting it to Cinerama (The image of a 4:3 signal is centered, expanding in the horizontal direction to fit the 16:9 format) but, it looked slighly distorted so, I tried Stretch (The image of a 4:3 video signal is stretched horizontally by 33% while the vertical size stays the same) and it looked much better.

What screen format do you use? Also, tell me about the Anamorphic widescreen format.

Thanks again!!

PFC5
Unregistered guest
Hey Guys & Dolls:

I have been very busy with work and just caught up with this thread. This is the best RCA thread I have found yet. :-)

Sydney: Use Stretch mode. I also have the Automatic which does not put bars on the sides of my 162 model. Try a different DVD player if yours does.

I am still amazed at the picture quality of my 162, and I am very happy with it. I just cannot believe that it is an RCA.

About the bulb issue:
I talked to someone at RCA about whether or not the price for the replacement bulb in the 162/164 (same bulb), but he never returned my call. After 4/15/05 (when work becomes normal again, I will hound them for the "correct" info on this issue, even if I have to talk to the president of RCA!

Did anyone try filing a complaint with the BBB? The only way RCA can have the complaint removed is to satisfy the customer, so if enough people complain, RCA might get an added incentive to "fix" the price difference with the competition.

Unregistered guest
In reading through all these posts, and doing some surfing online, I've found what looks like the replacement for the 162 in the 163 (As far as having the HD2+ chip).

Is this correct (163 replacing the 162)?
Are there things missing from the 163 that I should spend some time looking for a 162?

THANKS!

Bronze Member
Username: Nu2itall

Findlay, OH

Post Number: 23
The 163 was released before the 162. I took delivery on my 163 in October and I'm still very pleased with everything about it. The picture quality, reliability, features - it's all been outstanding. I read about the 162 while initially shopping (before either was released) and my recollection is that the only difference between the 2 models is internet access - I don't believe the 162 has it.

Bottom line, if you can still get a 163 then go for it!

Unregistered guest
I had my HD50LPW164 delivered in the beginning of February. I've encountered a problem on 6 different occasions. The picture will freeze for 5 seconds or so, then then I notice the blue light on the power button go off, then back on, and the picture goes black. I'm still hearing audio (run through my receiver) but I am unable to change video inputs (to DVD, HD tuner, etc.) If I turn the TV off and back on the issue goes away. The repair place Thompson gave me to call first told me it was because I was using Satellite, upon which I told them it was happening using the built-in tuner also, then they said it is a setting on the TV (it doesn't sound like they want to come out and look at it). Has anyone experienced this or have any clue as to what the problem may be?? I would really appreciate the information. Thanks!!

Anonymous

Len Holtgreven writes "The 163 was released before the 162. I took delivery on my 163 in October and I'm still very pleased with everything about it. The picture quality, reliability, features - it's all been outstanding. I read about the 162 while initially shopping (before either was released) and my recollection is that the only difference between the 2 models is internet access - I don't believe the 162 has it.

Bottom line, if you can still get a 163 then go for it!"

On RCA's website they list the 163 but not the 162, which leads me to beleive the 163 is still in production. Is this correct?

If they are both discontinued, then what are the "official" current models?

THANKS!

Bronze Member

Findlay, OH

Post Number: 24
To Steve Menning: Do you have your system plugged into a battery backed UPS? If not, I would highly recommend it. Your problems could be related to power glitches and even if that's not the problem it will provide protection for your bulb in the event of a power loss. You can pick up a good UPS for less than a replacement bulb.

To annonymous regarding the current production model: The current models appear to be the 164 and 165. I wouldn't put too much stock in the RCA website, it doesn't appear to me that they make much of an effort to keep it up to date.

Sydney
Unregistered guest
Is there a way to get into a service menu to see how many hours are on the lamp?

formerly xvxvxvx
Unregistered guest
Sydney,

I have the sequence at home and will try to remember to post if for you later this evening.

xvxvxvx

formerly xvxvxvx
Unregistered guest
Sydney,

I have the sequence at home and will try to remember to post if for you later this evening.

xvxvxvx

Sydney
Unregistered guest
I've had my 162 for 25 days now and until last night I hadn't seen the rainbow effect. I noticed it watching a DVD and it was quite bothersome. It seemed to be less noticeable once I reduced the light in the room. I am debating whether or not to return the tv while I still can. Any advice? Also, is there a way to reduce the appearance of rainbows or train yourself not to see them?

Mike Domenic
Unregistered guest
Sydney...welcome to the club. I have always seen the rainbow effect, and it has always bothered me. However, I REALLY like the DLP picture - so I've been trying to train myself to ignore it. Strangely enough, my wife didn't really understand what I was talking about until a few days ago when she saw it for the first time - and it bugged her too.

At any rate, I found that for me, INCREASING the room lighting helps. It also appears to be much more noticeable in 'darker' movies where there are bright images on a dark background. Bright fine lines and points on a black background are the worst. Here's the strangest thing. For me, the longer I watch the TV, the less noticeable it becomes. On days when I turn on the big TV to watch a movie or two, the second movie is ALWAYS more enjoyable. Either my eyes get used to it, or my mind learns to ignore it. However, I have to go through this 'training' process every time I turn on the TV.

It's really up to you. I doubt that there is really much you can do about it - so it ends up being a personal decision. Good luck!

Mike

Anonymous

Regarding using a UPS ...

Any suggestions on brands?
Any suggestions on ratings? i.e. 1000VA/1500vVA ...

THANKS!!

Anonymous

Is there a way to get into a service menu to see how many hours are on the lamp?

Username: Bauerdave

Burnsville, MN United States

Post Number: 1
I just purchased the RCA HD61LPW165

Dave

Mike Domenic
Unregistered guest
Well all, I got my Toshiba 62HM84 today to replace my defective HD61LPW162. I thought I'd share some comparative thoughts for you.

I think I really did like the RCA image better. It just seemed to be more 'silky smooth' then the Toshi. In addition, SD looks much worse on the Toshi. I think the RCA did a better job of scaling to make the lower resolution much less obvious. In addition, I think the RCA light field was a little more uniform edge to edge. On the other hand, I have yet to notice any lipsync issues with the Toshiba - where I did notice it on occasion with the RCA. I also actually like the silver/grey case and bezel on the Toshiba more than I thought I would. It actually fits with my room better and looks a bit more modern than the RCA. The Toshiba is also MUCH quieter. The fan and color wheel noise is almost imperceptable. The speakers sound much better on the Toshi as well - and being on the sides tends to provide more stereo separation and height. Finally, the Toshiba Theaterwide setting intended for 4:3 images (where only the left and right edges of the screen are stretched and the center aspect ratio is maintained) blows the RCA version out of the water. It is much less noticeable and makes 4:3 images look as if they were meant to be shown in widescreen. The RCA version used to give me headaches when images panned from left to right.

The one thing I REALLY miss from the RCA are the nice, usable menus. The Toshi menus and navigation just plain STINK.

The bottom line is that if my RCA hadn't been defective, keeping it probably would have been the right decision. Both units have their pluses and minuses, and I do think I'll be happy with the Toshiba. I just may miss my 162 for a while.

Good luck all. I suspect I won't be frequenting this site nearly as often now.

Mike

Ron Sask
Unregistered guest
I now see that Samsung is using HD4 chip in their latest models. Anyone know how this new chip compares to both the HD2+ and the HD3?

CoffeeDrinker
Unregistered guest
In January I bought HD50LPW42. I had it just past a month when it died. RCA today finally decided that they can't get the part necessary and will replace my TV. They want to replace it with a HD50LPW164. I decided to look around to learn the difference and get opinions. That is how I found this web site.

After reading on this thread, I am concerned about the replacement bulb cost. Is there a 50 inch 165 that may I can preasure them into giving me?

The first repair ticket is Feb 22. It has been broken for over 2 months. Anybody know how I can preasure them to give me something for my trouble. The worse thing is that they say it will take them 2 weeks to get the new TV delivered to my house.

CoffeeDrinker
Unregistered guest
An update:

They agreeded to change the model to a HD50LPW165. It is being shipped to the service center that is fixing my current TV. They will bring it to my house. This should take 14 days. I was unable to have it done any other or quicker way.

I put up a big stink on the phone and the lady gave me the address of a "review board" which I can write to with my complaint.

I think this whole thing stinks. I bought my TV and used it in my house for just over one month. It broke. Three times people tried to fix the TV. Two seperate companies. Thomson can't supply the necessary parts. It has been over 2 months since my TV broke. Now I have to wait 2 more weeks until I get the TV.

I think this stinks.

mike_of_gatlinburg
Unregistered guest
So, 1. Has anyone discovered how to display lamp hours as discussed previously?
2. If operating in bulb saver mode and then necessarily having to boost brightness, isn't any benefit lost?

fx
Unregistered guest
In answer to your question #1 see the below post where I posted the instructuions:

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-video/134031.html

xvxvxvx

CoffeeDrinker
Unregistered guest
Another update:

3 weeks ago RCA customer service told me it would be 2 weeks until my TV was delivered. I still don't have it. RCA customer service now says it is at corporate and that it may take 10 more days.

The repair shop first took my TV away on Feb 22. RCA customer service says they can not supply the parts necessary to fix my 50" RCA DLP TV.

It is now May 15. Since Feb 22nd I don't have a working TV.

I think this stinks.

CoffeeDrinker
Unregistered guest
Yet another update:

I called RCA customer service today just to see the status of my order. The gentleman said that my replacement TV was approved for shipment and that it would take 3 to 4 WEEKS starting on May 13th.

I think this stinks.

Sydney
Unregistered guest
I am having problems with my HDMI input using a Samsung DVD-HD850 upconversion dvd player. It worked briefly then now switches back and forth from the "unusable signal" message to screen noise.

From reading this message board it sounds like I need a software upgrade. I have the 162 model built in August 2004 with software version A4.16/B4.03. I connected my ethernet cable but, I don't see a message on the tv saying a software upgrade is available nor do I see one available on the software upgrade menu. Does it take awhile to see an upgrade available?

Any information on this is greatly appreciated.

PFC5
Unregistered guest
SYDNEY:

That model Samsung doesn't work with the RCA TVs. Neither does the Toshiba SD-5980. Both of these DVD players are built by the same OEM for Samsung & Toshiba, so they are the same DVD player with different firmware.

I would return it for a different brand/model while you still can.

This is what I was told by RCA.

Sydney
Unregistered guest
Update: I finally saw that I had upgrade A6.0C available for download. I downloaded it and after a few minutes of it doing it's thing I got a message saying the upgrade was unsuccessful and to try again later. I clicked the box to reset the TV. Well, the TV won't even power on now....I called RCA and they were no help especially since they told me that no upgrades were available for this TV when in fact there were. Anyways, the Thomson service tech is coming out Thurs.

Has anyone experienced a failed SW download and not able to turn the TV on?

Sydney
Unregistered guest
Question: Since the HD50LPW162 does upconverting to display any input signal to 720p is there any reason or benefit to use an upconversion DVD player?

RCA TV Owner
Unregistered guest
Hi Guys,

My HD61LPW163 broke and will be replaced by RCA but they don't have the same unit in stock any more. They want to replace it with the newer comparable model (HD61LPW165, I think). Does this sound like a fair trade? I know that the 165 has the HD3 chip instead of the HD2+ but I wonder just how big of a difference that makes in actual viewing. I'd appreciate any comments and opinions on the matter.

Anonymous

Folks;

I own a HDLP50W151 with about 1900 hours on the bulb. I believe this takes a type 'A' bulb. RCA and others only sell the entire assembly. The price range I've found is $600 - $800 for this unit which is well..... a bit insane. So has anyone actually looked at the assembly to see how the bulb is mounted? Is it a plugin into a reflector or solderd in? What I know about the bulb itself is that it's a UHP projector lamp. I might be able to get voltage and other specs on the bulb. What I'm trying to do is see if it's possible to plug/solder another less expensive bulb when the original goes.

Any thoughts on this?

Warren

Sydney
Unregistered guest
ANOTHER UPDATE: Turns out the software upgrade froze my DM3 board. I was a bit concerned when the technician told me that RCA was relocating their parts department and that it may take longer to get a replacement part. But, after only 10 days my TV is up and running again. A new DM3 board was installed containing the A6.0C software version. I am happy to report that the HDMI is now working with my Samsung HD-850 upconversion DVD player.

frost969
Unregistered guest
Couple of questions:
1. I'm looking at a 151 for about $2,600 that's with tax. Is it worth it?
2. On the specks it says that it has a HD2, Mustang II with DLP Light Engine. Is that correct, and how does it rate?
3. About how long does the blub usualy last in a set?

Thanks!

Anon5000
Unregistered guest
Pass dude...

The 151 is RCA's older model, apparently had lots of problems, noisy fans and color wheel, and the HD2 is probably the oldest DLP chip being sold right now (contrast not so great, dimples in the mirrors, etc.). RCA's latest sets use the HD3.

Anon5000

fx
Unregistered guest
Abe's of Maine (a reliable online retailer) has it for $2199 with a $15 instant discount and $249 for shipping and no sales tax. This is the 51" model.

As for the HD2 chip I prefer the added detail it offers over the soft look on the HD3 chipset.

xvxvxvx

Anon5000
Unregistered guest
Keep in mind, the HD2 is NOT the HD2+. The HD2 is an earlier generation with a poorer contrast ratio, and dimples - so you're not going to get the super sharp bright image of the HD2+. The HD3 is the new softer image as you say.

Anon5000

Username: Wanito

Tarrytown, Ny Usa

Hi does anyone know how to hook a computer up to a rca hd61lpw163 tv using the DTV link input on TV.

I just want to turn the TV into a large computer monitor so I can play PC games on it.

Also I have just purchased a lamp for the TV for $350

Sydney
Unregistered guest
David,

Does you TV use Lamp type A or B and where did you get a lamp for $350?

Sydney

Username: Wanito

Tarrytown, Ny Usa

Post Number: 2
Hi it is a type B lamp, bulb on order.

Also any ever use the TV as a monitor??????????

Kahnman
Unregistered guest
hey david, I have a scenium hd61lpw165, the dtv link is meant for video camera input. You want to connect the tv to your video output of your pc's video card. My pc has an ATIx850xt with DVI outputs, so I use a DVI-to-HDMI adapter and use the HDMI input on the tv to plug the pc in (its crystal clear, as good as my 20"widescreen lcd). Depending on what video outputs you have on your pc, you will need that type of adapter. Hope this helps.

rca tv owner
Unregistered guest
Hi Kahnman,

How do you like your 165? Were you able to compare it to any HD2+ sets?

Username: Max_w

My RCA Scenium HD50LPW162 has a wonderful picture but intermittent sound issues in the form of a tinny, rattling noise that comes and goes. Turning the set off and back on will make it go away anywhere from a day to several weeks. RCA's local warranty service people have replced the i/o board and the DM3 board but this intermittent nuisance problem persists.

Also this evening while watching an SD channel the screen went black and the blue power light flashed, then it came back on, then went through the same cycle again. Although protected with a Monster power surge system I'm wondering if a power spike could have caused that or maybe the new DM3 board is worse than the old one.

Although the picture seems unaffected I have noticed that on antenna input the signals are weaker and I'm getting fewer channels. The antenna is a cheapie so upgrading should fix it but the old board pulled in several including Fox HD with the same cheap setup.

The bottom line is that in spite of the great picture I'm beginning to trust this set less and am considering asking Best Buy to replace it. Any thoughts on the above issues will be appreciated.

Oh, and one other thing, there are sometimes little static pops coming from the speakers, it doesn't matter if I'm on the TV's speakers or my external sound system. I'm on cable and sometimes rebooting the cable converter will get rid of them for weeks however after the recent DM3 board replacement it was found that the same popping noises were being caused by the set. Rebooting it (unplugging) solved that issue. I toss this out in case anyone is having these same issues. I still don't know what causes them.

Overall I like my 162 and, yes, I do have the extended warranty but I really don't enjoy the hassle of owning a set that seems to always have something going wrong with it, even if some of those issues are minor. It was purchased from Best Buy in October 2004.

Unregistered guest
Has anyone purchased/reviewed the RCA HD44LPW165? It's one of the only TV's that will fit in my opening, and it seems to have a lot more features than any other TV in the 44-46 inch category.

I'm also considering the Samsung 46" DLP, but it's more expensive.

SCBrown
Unregistered guest
Max,

I have the 162 (BBY, 3/2005), and I get the popping noises also. Quite annoying. Turning on/off sometimes temporarily helps. I have not pursued resolution to this so have no advice.

But that is the only problem I have had...so can't comment on your other issues.

Username: Max_w

Post Number: 2
SCBrown,

Try a complete reboot (unplugging) of the set. That may get rid of the popping noises for several days at a time. Also if you are on cable or satellite rebooting that receiver may also work.

It seems to me if the popping noises are rapid and frequent it's a cable/sat problem but if they are spaced out a minute or more apart it's more likely a TV problem. When it happens to me I reboot both and so far it's gotten rid of the problem for at least several days and sometimes weeks at a time before it inevitably returns.

Username: Sleepylee

After months of exhsusting research, I have decided on a 50" DLP. Choice seemed to be between the HD50LPW165 and the Panasonic PT-50DL54,,,,,,,or maybe the Sharp 56DR650 56" is the way to go after looking at ths thread? Will anyone give me advice here?...thanks...

dlptvproblem
Unregistered guest
I got a rca dlp HD50LPW42 and it makes this buzzing noise all the time. Does anyone have this problem?

JREAGAN
Unregistered guest
I have found someone willing to sell their HD50LPW162 for $1400. I am very excited about the possiblity, but am unsure of the lamp life. If the life is 3-4000 is this a good deal?

Sydney
Unregistered guest
Heck yes that's a good deal. The 162 has the better HD2+ chip. I was told that the lamp life is between 6,000 - 8,000 on the bright setting and up to 10,000 hours on the bulb saver setting.

I have a 162 and I am very happy with it.

Bronze Member
Username: Jimkw

Columbus, Ohio USA

Post Number: 27
Why is he selling it? It's a simple question that you need to ask. Usually something that is too good to be true is just that.

Random Q
Unregistered guest
Does anyone know much about the HD50LPW163 model compared to the 162? I can't really find anything about it online and need to decide b/w the two. I'm probably going with the 162 unless convinced otherwise.

Bronze Member

Findlay, OH

Post Number: 25
To my knowledge the only difference between the 2 models is internet access. I have the HD61LPW163 and it has Internet Explorer CE included. They both use the HD2+ chip.

For what it's worth, I've now had my TV for 10 months and wouldn't hesitate buying the exact same model again. It's been trouble free and the picture is as good as anything I've ever seen. We average somewhere around 4hrs/day of use and the last time I checked the bulb hours it was right around 1900.

another random q
Unregistered guest
If I can't spring for the 164 or 165, is the HD52W55 considerably worse, besides being heavier?

Since its also a rear projection, does anyone know what the cost is on their replacement bulbs? Would they also be rediculously expensive like the 162?

Anyone have any general input on that model or the HD52W58?

yogithestockguru
Unregistered guest
Thanks for all the great tips on this board. The Best Buy here in California had the RCS Scenium 164 model on display. I ended up getting it for $1,599 and then got the warranty of course. Turned out when I checked the model number (thanks to this board) they gave me the 162 tv. The picture kicks butt compared to the Samsung 50" that it was next to. Amazing quality! And a great price. I'm looking for the matching stand. Any suggestions?

yogithestockguru
Unregistered guest
Thanks for all the great tips on this board. The Best Buy here in California had the RCA Scenium 164 model on display. I ended up getting it for $1,599 and then got the warranty of course. Turned out when I checked the model number (thanks to this board) they gave me the 162 tv. The picture kicks butt compared to the Samsung 50" that it was next to. Amazing quality! And a great price. I'm looking for the matching stand. Any suggestions?

PFC5
Unregistered guest
yogithe stockguru:

You have no idea HOW LUCKY YOU ARE!!!!!!!

A lot of people have been looking for that model TV, but I thought all the Best Buys were out of them since the beginning of February 2005. You even beat my price of $1724.00 which I thought was a gift.

Enjoy just about the best PQ available out there right now.

Do they have any more of the 162s in stock? Some people would really want to know I am sure.

Bronze Member
Username: Ricksribs

Post Number: 12
Costco is now carry this model with DarkChip 2 DLP...
Any info on the new dark 2chip

Thanks

Anonymous

I have the RCA HD50LPW165 and wanted to know if anyone had any luck setting up the ethernet connection via wireless. If so, can you post the steps to do so.

Unregistered guest
Hello,
I own a HD61LPW42which is making an anoying hissing sound in the back of the TV, and is getting louder and louder every day.
can it be the Power suply ballast or the Color wheell turning. Please help any advise will be apreciated.

Thanks.

hd50lp
Unregistered guest
It is the colour wheel that makes that hissing noise. Call RCA and they should replace it.

Username: Ollie

Hey Anonymous,

I just bought a wireless keyboard from RCA.com. Found out my instruction book is for a 165 and my DLP TV seems to be a 164. 165's have web capability and 164 does not. Do you REALLY have a 165. Also does any one know if the SW or Firmware in the 164 can be upgraded to get the web browser????????

BTW, LOVE the TV

cheneyp
Unregistered guest
Anyone found a any cheaper replacement bulbs? Earlier posts indicated a $600 replacement for the "lamp assembly". I have a HD50LPW42, which appears to take the RCA 260962 bulb assy. I found these on-line for about $400 - anyone do any better? Thanks

RandyM
Unregistered guest
I work for RCA. You should be able to contact RCA customer service and they should be able to sell you one directly for about $200, depending on model. Anyone who is comfortable with a screwdriver can replace it on their own.

cheneyp
Unregistered guest
Is that the 877-722-4388 number?

Disappointed
Unregistered guest
WOW, I was very excited about picking up my RCA HD50LPW42 this weekend. After reading this entire forum I have only one conclusion. No way in HE double hockey sticks am I getting anything from RCA. Let me see
1. Lamp cost anywhere from $550.00 - $800.00!!! You have got to be kidding me on this one. The TV is on sale for $1699.00 from CC. $800.00 is just about half the price.
2. Customer service from what I have read on here is complete Garbage. Waiting months to get it repaired. Sorry, not for me.
3. Rainbow effect. Now I am aware that alot of DLP's have this effect. Makes me ? why even bother getting one. Not wasting my hard earned money on something that is going to bother me. Thats like buying a Porsche that only goes 60mph.
4. Noises from the back that you have to have someone come out to fix. Again, sorry not when I am spending this much money on something.
One more thing I really ? is why are they putting out so many versions of the same size TV in such a short amount of time? Seems like RCA knows something....like there product is not up to par. Guess its back to the drawing board. My friend picked up a Sony 50 WEGA and has nothing but good things to say about it. I have watched countless hours of on his TV both HD and normal and was very impressed. Thank you everyone on this forum. I would of been completly devastated if my Lamp went and I learned that it was going to cost me and arm, leg and my a-$-$. To everyone that already has one, good luck. To those that don't, I would seriously ? getting one.

RandyM
Unregistered guest
Dear Disappointed,
I work for RCA, so as I tell most people, I'm biased, but I believe our products are the best value on the market. We compare nearly all competitors and technologies in our lab. . . and our sets are equal to anybody in pix performance and cost considerably less.

To address your concerns:
1. Lamp cost for our RCA sets is around $200 depending on the model. Any other claim is completely false and bogus by misinformed people. You can buy them directly from our Customer Service group and anyone comfortable with a screwdriver can replace it. Look at above message ->I'm going to comfirm the Customer Service number for Cheneyp on Monday when I get back to work.
2. Most delays in customer service are not due to RCA. I can't speak for the 1,000s of servicers out there that are authorized by RCA. Some problems may require parts that are hard to find. . . I'm not sure what individual delays might be for each servicer.
3. Rainbow effect is real for DLP technology. It's one DLP characteristic, but it is small issue for the majority of people. There are some games one can play with color wheel speed to reduce rainbow, but the truth is, on certain scenes you will always see it if you move your eyes quickly. DLPs that don't have lower peak light output don't show the rainbow effect as much. A customer can reduce contrast to reduce the chances of seeing a rainbow.
4. Color wheel or fan noise is real. For most people it's a trade-off for outstanding picture quality. Most people can't hear the color wheel or fan when watching with the volume up at a normal listening level. Our models are market driven. . .most differentiation is for retailers, not us. . .nothing farther from the truth to say that our products aren't "up to par". We are quite proud of how good our latest products perform.

RandyM
Unregistered guest
I added an extra word in #3 above. Should say:

"DLPs that have lower peak light output. . ."

RandyM
Unregistered guest
Cheneyp and others,
The best number to call for RCA DLP lamp replacements is 1-800-338-0376. It's best to have the part number of the lamp before you call (which I believe you do). If you don't know it, have your full model number.

Bronze Member

Findlay, OH

Post Number: 26
I purchased my HD61LPW163 a year ago and have nothing but good things to say. The picture quality is outstanding and that includes SD. (If SD was really that good why would anyone want HD?) The reliability has been outstanding. The sound, the features, you name it. My main concern up to this point has been the replacement cost of the bulb and if RandyM is accurate with his $200 number then that concern has been eliminated. I love this set and everything about it.

We've had countless numbers of people over to watch and I still don't know what a rainbow is. Initially I was afraid to mention it because of the power of suggestion. Now I solicit opinions and ask if anyone can see what others are talking about. I've come to the conclusion it's either a bogus condition or something only a real small minority of people can actually see. Same thing for the noise level; I have to turn the volume almost completely off and put my ear at the back of the set to hear anything at all. And no, I'm not deaf. My hearing is quite normal.

For those of you considering a DLP set out there I'd really take these "complaints" with a grain of salt. Some people like to complain just to look like they know something nobody else does. As for other brands and competing technologies, I have no direct experience but my guess is they're all pretty similar.

RandyM
Unregistered guest
Thanks, Len, comments like yours are great to hear.

As I stated above, rainbow effect is real and all DLPs have it. Essentially, it's caused by your eye moving faster than the speed of the color wheel as it repeatedly displays red-green-blue images. If you eye moves quickly across the screen, it might see a partial image of just one color (red, green, or blue) before focusing on the final object. Some people don't dart their eyes as quickly when watching and, thus, will be less likely to see the effect. The worst case is a very dark scene with a small bright street lamp. If you can freeze this on a DVD player and then glance from the edge of the picture to the street lamp quickly, you should see some colored spots just as your eye focuses on the street lamp. On most normal video, rainbow effects are rare.

Morale of the story. . . yes, rainbow is real, but it is rarely seen and certainly not a reason to avoid DLP technology, which I know from my work, stills put out the highest quality picture.

Unregistered guest
hello everyone, this is a very informative thread, thanks.
i am in houston, evactuated from new orleans, where my house (incl tv) were flooded.
i got here 2 weeks ago, and the day i moved into my new place i went to best buy to get a tv.
i just bought the one that looked the best, all they had was the floor model, so i took it. and it turns out, it is a hd50lpw162.

from what i have read, i got lucky here right?

i am having a problem though.
Rca scenium HD50LPW164, I have a SA 8300HD DVR box, hooked up to cable by a coax line, then to the tv by the component video cables. The TV is two weeks old, bought from Best Buy, it was a floor model. I am relocated to Houston from New Orleans, and on a budget, so i was cheap and got the floor model, and didn't get the best buy extended warranty. Although i assume my RCA warranty is still good, right?

my problem is that there are thick purple shaded horizontal bars that scroll up the screen. These bars are visible when view any channel, sd or hd, and they are also there when the box is off, not really off since it is still able to record, etc...

when the cable is plugged directly into the tv from the wall, bypassing the box, there are scrolling horizontal lines, not purple but visible lines.

with the volume turned up loud enough, there is a audible buzz/hum that disappears when the cable is unhooked from the box, the purple bars also disappear, when the cable is unhooked from the box.

i am in Houston, TX and have Time Warner Cable. i got a tech over to my house today, and he at first thought it was electic interference. Which is what i was sure it was. After some work outside and in, the bars were still visible, and he said that my tv's tuner is bad. i was unaware that the tv tuner was even at issue here, since the tv was only displaying what was coming out of the box over the component video cables.

Also, if i play recorded programs, and unhook the cable line that runs from the wall to the box, the picture is perfect, there are no bars or hum/buzz evident.

So, i guess my question is, Is my tuner bad? is the tv's tuner even an issue here? i still think its the cable signal being effected by electrical interference.

thanks for any help.
Paul

Unregistered guest
sorry if there is any confusion, i used two different model numbers in my post above, i have the 162, for sure. the receipt says 164, but the back of the tv says 162.
thanks for any help at all
paul

RandyM
Unregistered guest
Paulc,
First let me say my heart goes out to all the storm victims that have endured so much turmoil lately. It's the least I can do to help out.
Very good troubleshooting skills here on your part! You have given enough info that I am confident that your RCA DLP is fine. This is clearly an electrical interference problem with the cable feed, and you got a repairman that preferred to blame the TV rather than fix the problem.
You are absolutely correct that the tuner is not even being used when going in with component video cables. The audio buzz and purple bars are both evidence of huge interference.
Call Time Warner back and tell them that you are a little smarter than the average bird and they need to fix their problem. Please let me know how it turns out.

Username: Fastlife

US

Hi everyone, Im new to this site. I purchased a RCA HD61THW263 about 8months ago. After 4 months my TV stopped working. You get no picture and no sound. Only the front panel lights come on. Only to front panel lights do not, and that is the power and the bulb light.I pretty sure that I need to replace the bulb. I've called RCA and they told me the lamp is on national back order and they can not get it. RCA has offered to buy back the TV from me. I just want my TV fixed. Does anyone know where I can get a replacment bulb. Any info or help is much appreciated.

RandyM
Unregistered guest
Fastlife,
I work at RCA, so I called the parts group to get the story. The lamp is unique to our thin product, thus the higher price. They are receiving lamps in small quantities and sending them to customers in the order that they are added to the backorder list. Unfortunately, the backorder list right now is about 7 weeks on this lamp.

I'll post this on the other threads, too, to be sure that you see it.

Marv
Unregistered guest
I also have HD61LPW163 and it is a very good set. I had an early problem with the HDMI input, but that was fixed with a software update (although RCA service did not ever tell the service tech about this.) I've been trying to get the part number for the lamp assembly -- it appears to be the same as used for the HD61LPW162 -- which I think uses RCA part number 265103 Can anyone confirm this? I found this one on www.ercservice.com for $336

RandyM
Unregistered guest
Thanks, Marv, for your kind comments about your 163. That's exactly what we like to hear.

I'll check the part number for you tomorrow and see if I can get a price quote from our customer service, too.

yogithestockguru
Unregistered guest
RandyM,

I have the DLP W162Model. can this be upgraded to get "WEB" lik the W165? Please advise. Thanks for the great posts.

RandyM
Unregistered guest
Marv, you have the correct part number, 265103 and the RCA service price is also $336. Better go ahead and order one from this website, since RCA customer service says they have a short backorder right now.

Yogi, I'm a little confused. The W162 should have the web browser. Is it possible that you have the W62 model?

cheneyp
Unregistered guest
Randy - I called RCA Parts at the 1-800-338-0376 number about my HD50LPW42 replacement bulb (p/n 260962). Veronica told me that the price was $414 plus tax and $10 shipping. Not exactly the $200 or so you had expected. Does this make sense to you? Thanks...

RandyM
Unregistered guest
Cheneyp, yes, sorry to tell you that the W42 is one of the older models that cost a bit more. The current models run about $200.

yogithestockguru
Unregistered guest
Randy,

No I have the HD50LPW162. I haven't tried the ethernet yet as the DSL connection is all the way in the other room. Just curious to see if I can browse the web on it. I checked the model number in the back. This was one of those Best Buy deals where I bought the 164 but it was actually a 162. Anyways, please let me know if it is possible and how to access it. Thanks

RandyM
Unregistered guest
Yogi, yes, you can hook a DSL to the HD50LPW162 and browse the web. If you leave it hooked up overnight, you may also get a message that offers to upgrade your software. . . this might come in handy if you use DVI/HDMI sources, since I know some late releases improved connections.

There are some limitations to the web browser. There is no memory in the tv, so you can't download cookies or save cookies. But, for example, you can pull up Yahoo stock charts and watch tv at the same time, side-by-side. One downside, the speed might be limited by the set if your DSL is fast. I've done it at home and it's pretty cool, because DLP is such a good computer display. You will need to get a wireless keyboard (approx. $50) through RCA.com or check your instruction book.

Username: Cheneyp

CT

Post Number: 3
Randy - Is there any way to determine whether there is an updated software upgrade for my TV? I can hook up an ethernet line to the set but it would take some doing - so before I did it, it would be good to know if there was an update and if there was any good fixes in it. I have the HD50LPW42 which has a production date of 11/04. thanks, Paul

RandyM
Unregistered guest
Paul, press the two left buttons (menu and channel down) on the front panel at the same time. Tell me what it says after "DM application". Press the "clear" button on your remote after you do this. . . be very careful not to go anywhere else in this menu.

CT

Post Number: 4
OK - it says A8.1E

RandyM
Unregistered guest
You are ok. A8.1E was the last code release for that platform.

By the way, are you the same paulc that was getting the run-around from the cable company? How did that work out?

CT

Post Number: 5
No, he was from Houston, via New Orleans. I guess when I picked my member name, it was the same as his but I guess since he didn't register it wasn't officially "taken".

I have been happy with Comcast here in CT - especially with the built-in QAM tuner in the set - I can get all of the locals in HD over the coax input without needing an HD box and still just paying for analog basic! I guess eventually I may have to break down and order the box so I can get TNTHD, ESPNHD, etc...

Thanks for all of your help. Paul

CT

Post Number: 6
Randy -

On the bulb subject again. I found someone selling Philips bulbs that are used in the RCA sets where they claim you can just replace the bulb and not the whole bulb assembly "with a few simple tools". Does this sound correct? It was a Philips UHG(?) bulb 100W 1.3 gap(?) and my W42 set was listed as one of the applicable sets.

fx
Unregistered guest
Heh Paul and Randy,

I would like this source for bulbs as well although I don't think it is legitimate. I hope Randy has time to research this for us all.

xvxvxvx

RandyM
Unregistered guest
Paulc, the lamp is not hard to mount in the cartridge. It does require a small torx screwdriver. Try to keep oil from your hands off the lamp. You might wear a light pair of gloves.

Before you buy, you want to make sure that the current lamp in your set is Philips. Some sets have Osram lamps and the ballast supply is matched to the lamp. You might verify that lamp you are buying has reflector size E23. The lamp you mention, with a 1.3mm gap was originally made for an LCOS set. . .our DLP lamps have a 1.0mm gap, but the performance should be the same.

CT

Post Number: 7
Randy - looks like my set has a Philips bulb and the reflector size on the new lamp is E23. I'd like to have one that I can switch out quickly so I don't have to wait for them to come in stock when it does go (which I am hoping is a long way away - only 700 hrs on the original). Would be unpopular with the rest of the family (and me too!). Bulb is also significantly cheaper... <$75... thx, Paul

xinumu
Unregistered guest
I had a question on this tv.. I have the model 164. I had to exchange the first one because of an annoying high pitched sound. Very grating, I had to leave the room whenever the tv was on. At any rate, both TVs exhibit what i'll call an extremely annoying amount of "noise".. they look like tiny little swimming green and purple dots over any dark red or black colors on screen. Has anyone else had this? Is this some sort of electrical intereference, or a normal issue? If this is normal to these tv's it is quite disappointing. Hooking direct to component with no other inputs yields the same results. thank you so much!

Username: Pack11

I purchased an RCA DLP HD TV 13 months ago. Exactly 1 month after the warranty expired the bulb blew! Ironic. The cost of a replacement bulb is $500.00 plus shipping & handling. Cost me over $550.00. I could have bought a new television for the price of a bulb. A very dissapointed and unhappy RCA DLP HD TV owner.

RandyM
Unregistered guest
Paulc, you are welcome. Hope you don't need the replacement for a long time.

Dom, unfortunately, you have experienced premature lamp failure. Many last 4-5 years, but there are some which fail earlier. The number of hours is a major variable. Sorry to hear of your failure, but since we don't make the lamps (Philips and Osram do), we don't have a lot of control over the prices of replacements. You might check other web sources for a cheaper price like others have done.

Xinumu, DLP sets from all manufacturers use a color wheel and at least 1 fan. Sounds like your first one had a noisy color wheel. Some noise is normal, but if the noise is loud enough to be heard over normal audio level, then it's bad. The swimming green and purple dots are called "dithering noise". It's a normal process as the DLP tries to create a very low light level that is just above black. When you watch the tv at a normal viewing distance, 8-10 feet back, you shouldn't be able to see dithering. RCA now uses 7-segment color wheels in the new W175 model at Best Buy, which nearly eliminates dithering noise for those who watch closer. This set, by the way, is an oustanding performer with great contrast and a very quiet light engine.

xinumu
Unregistered guest
i'll be honest, i've got to find a way to get rid of this set (164). It is total garbage for what I paid (2250 last april), it sounds like a table saw, just now i had to turn it off. I have a new problem now also, when there is a high contrast object in the center of the screen on a black background (text, etc.) it creates a mirror image of the word/object and places a faint outline of it right above. amazing. I called up the service center and he recognized me as someone who he just took care of and basically washed his hands of me. last time i had to have this set replaced i was without it for 2 months and one week! anyway, just venting a bit.. ha. maybe i'll try to turn it on again and see if i feel like i'm in a factory.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us