Archive through February 15, 2006

RandyM
Unregistered guest
Jim, I think your lamp is not positioned correctly in the lamp cartridge or the cartridge is not fully seated. Remove your lamp cartridge and give it good firm push when you reseat it.

Based on this latest picture and the fact that you can see some picture inside it, tells me that it is not a blockage between the lens and screen.

M barn
Unregistered guest
How do I contact RCA? My hdlp50w151 is 1.5 months past warranty...no picture...but sound. C'mon RCA, it's nearly playoff time!

RandyM
Unregistered guest
RCA Service is 1-800-338-0376, but depending on what's wrong, you may need to contact a local RCA servicer first.

M barn
Unregistered guest
thanks...I just spoke w/ them...they are at 1-866-scenium. they are paying for the service call and parts! pretty cool.

Mad as Hell
Unregistered guest
After waiting 2 months for a bulb replacement for my RCA HD61LPW42 with a dead 290962 bulb for a tv 1 1/2 months out of RCA warranty,(now 3 1/2 months) yet covered by an extended warranty by Best Buy, I have gone out and bought a bulb and fixed the darn thing myself. 2 conversations with RCA have been futile.... "It's a third party problem with the bulb manufactor, not an RCA problem" They recommended I let Best Buy deal with the issue since I have an extended warranty. When asked how they would do that if they couldn't get a bulb from RCA they said they did not have responsibility since the set was out of manufactors warranty. If the Best Buy folks ever come up with a bulb, I'll swap the burned out bulb back in, let them drive out the 130 miles to fix it and keep my bulb as a spare. I may be so pissed and vindictive that the new bulb might "burn out" again 1 day before the extended warranty expires. I hate to be like that, but I am getting screwed out of use of my tv for months with no recourse. Either they should add the missed months to the end of my extended warranty or compensate me a prorated portion of the tv or RCA should give me a new set if they can't give me parts for a 13 1/2 old tv set.

I'm mad too
Unregistered guest
One of the worst issues with extended warranties is no remedy for delays caused by parts unavailability. The buyer is allowed to sweat while the warrantor lets the warranty fade away. Come to think of it, the 3rd party warranty people have everything to gain by dragging their feet as the longer they wait, the more likely it is the set will crap out after the repair is done and the warranty is expired.

Mad at who?
Unregistered guest
Be mad at yourself!
What took you so long?

They owe you a bulb alright, but being down two months is your fault. Where was your spare bulb? Never buy a projection television without buying your own spare bulb. The warranty doesn't matter much if you have to wait weeks on end with a dead set. It's a projector! Keep one or more bulbs handy or get rid of it!

Mad as Hell
Unregistered guest
Who am I mad at?
I'm Mad at RCA because they can't supply the part to the contracted repair person and they provide no expected timeline for when the part will be available. RCA has also washed its hands of me. "It's not our fault we don't stock parts for tvs we build".

I'm Mad at Best Buy as they refer me to their contracted 3rd party repair person and reaasure me that I'm protected and that I've made a wise decision with this extended warranty.

I'm Mad at the contracted repair person as for the first 6 weeks they would call on monday and say "we would like to come out next friday at 9 am." They would then call thursday and say "The parts not available, so were cancelling the appointment" When finally pressed if they were able to get parts, they told me to contact RCA. I would have looked for a bulb earlier if I were not continually reassured that hope was just around the corner.

I'm mad because these companies are pointing a digit at the next person saying "its their job." I'm not the most saavy person, but if I can find a replacement bulb, one of these companies, with resources much more vast than mine, should be able to find one as well. I feel they are just chuckling and pleased with themselves knowing they have sold me with an extended warranty which is diminishing in value the longer they can take to repair the set.

Dr H
Unregistered guest
Ron in Illinois...thank you for your response. I wonder if I should have complained to RCA about my bum color wheel.

RandyM.....I have already received my lamp but I am waiting for my color wheel est. ship date 12/30. I'm not so exicited about these people with w151 sets not being able to get certain parts after world wide searches? Any reasons for this? What does the future hold for those of us with w151 sets?

Happy Holidays All!!!

Dr H
Unregistered guest
Ron in Illinois...Thanks for your response.

RandyM....do you know if RCA is replacing w151 with w175 for color wheel problems...please say yes..LOL. I'm not exicited about some posts indicating that certain parts for the w151 being unavailable. Are some sets lemons right from the start requiring replacement or will those of us with functioning w151's find no parts in the upcoming years. Happy Holidays All !!!

Dr H
Unregistered guest
sorry for the double post...didn't think the first made it.

RandyM
Unregistered guest
Dr. H, Beyond the lamp availability problem, I am not aware of any specific part shortages. Other than the lamp and color wheel, most electrical parts are fairly generic and found in many televisions.

Mad, I think you are waiting on a 260962 lamp (wrong number in your post above). Earlier this week, Jose at ercservice. com said that they had this lamp in stock. You might point the servicer in their direction to speed things along.

Dr H
Unregistered guest
RandyM.....thanks for the prompt response. Just curious why people like Ron in Illinois would get replacement sets then? Is it possible to upgrade chip sets in existing models or have other features changed as well?

Mad.......I ordered the lamp 260962 from the above link the other day and already have it, just waiting to use it now..present bulb is 7000+ hours.

RandyM
Unregistered guest
I'm not close to the service group, so I don't know what they are doing. No, chipsets can't be upgraded. Each generation engine has been designed around the chipset. We tend to sell fully featured sets and then change the cabinets or finishes for retail differentiation.

Unregistered guest
Merry Christmas All,
I just bought the W175. When we first plugged it in I only got Audio and no picture. Lights flash 5 times on the front, steady, then another 5 times. After pushing a few buttons on the remote it suddenly turned on...I figured it was an initialization and warmup thing.
We had a "TV warming party", watched a couple movies and concluded that I love this thing!

We turned it off for the night. Started up ok again in the morning, but later it "crashed" and the picture froze. After a series of off/on unplug etc we got it going again for another half hour or so before it shut down again.

After another series of power up tests, we heard a harsh sparking noise, Then a green and purple picture came on. I powered off and powered up again but alas, no picture. Audio still remains.

I hear what a soft noise in the back that sounds like something starting to spin and stopping, starting again, and stopping. Blue lights continue to flash 5 times, remain on for a period and flash again. At one point it was a continuous flash.

Calling RCA they directed me to a local service rep. Unfortunately the won't be here until next Thursday and our entire Christmas rotated around this TV with Sony HD DVD players and movies under the tree. Augh.

Anyway, the service tech suggested that I take out the bulb and put it back in. When I took the bulb out I noticed that one of the screw terminals was backed out leaving the ring-terminal just "hanging" there barely touching for continuity. I tightened the screw, which was baked in it's backed out position, so it certainly wasn't a frieght vibration issue.

Unfortunately this didn't fix anything and now I'm afraid there is much more damage done internally due to the poor connection on the bulb.

Is there anything further I should/could do or am I stuck with no TV this Christmas?

Bronze Member
Username: Jumpback

Post Number: 29
Oh, wow Sad Santa. What a heartbreaking story. Perhaps your retail store will have mercy and take back the set. Optimally, that would be great, but chances are probably small. Once a set is delivered it is ususally your baby...especially if there is a problem.

More than likely you will have to wait for the RCA authorized repair folk to come out. They will kidnap your baby and you will not see it for quite a while. Just a prediction (based on previous experience). They will not have the part needed and will have to order it. Then the guessing game starts...will they have the part or wont they have the part. Or, worst cased scenario they really dont have the individual parts that were effected so they have to replace half the guts of the set (also from experience). I really hope this is not the case for you, but if your luck is like mine you will be lucky to have the set before the winter olympics begin.

Let's all hope it is just the bulb and nothing else was effected and that the repair guy has the bulb in stock...also a long shot.

Maybe you could rent a set if in fact they take your baby for ransome.

Jumpback

ps you didnt say who you bought it from, but I know some retailers (like Conn's) have a 30 day take it back guarantee and you really dont have to have a reason. They took back a Toshiba 65" HD set a month ago and I only told them I didnt like the picture.

Good luck Sad Santa

Username: Jleitman

Virginia Beach, Va USA

Post Number: 6
RandyM:

Removed the lamp for the fourth time. Examined closly the mounting of the lamp in the fixture hoping to find an anomally. No such luck. Also closly exmamined the seating of the fixture in the set. Again hoping to find that it was not all the way in or fully seated. No such luck.

My mechanical background would tell me that this is a simple problem???? I am at wits end. This problem did not start until I replaced the lamp. This is lamp number three. Lamp 1 went for approx 14 months at an average of 6-8 hrs a day. Lamp 2 went out early at 2 months. Received a replacement at no cost. When I replaced lamp 3 is when the triangular ubstruction surfaced.

I suppose I could ask for another replacement however common sense leads me away from the Lamp.

Any additional ideas?

Again thanks for the help thus far.

Merry Christmas

Jim (jleitman@cox.net)

RandyM
Unregistered guest
Jim, I'm out of ideas, but it sure sounds like the lamp is causing the problem somehow.

Username: Thegrod

Post Number: 1
I have three RCA DLP bulbs with housings that I will be selling on ebay shortly. These bulbs are "virtually" new and have only been used for 10 hour manufacturer tests. I have verified that they all work fine, are in new condition and at least as bright as the original bulb on my W151 TV. ( bear in mind these bulbs typically maintain a constant light level until near failure.) Additionally, I have cycled them through the on/off cooldown cycle several times to insure that they will fire up immediately. The bulbs are the 265103 with the 120W/1.0 gap V-PIP Osram bulb made in Germany and then two 260962's with the Phillips UHP Bulbs. One of the Phillips is the new Chinese 100/120W 1.0 gap bulb which is supposed to have longer life and the other exactly matches the original Phillips 120W/1.0 made in Belgium bulb in the original W151 set.
I would entertain good offers for a few days before posting on ebay. Note the last 260962 sold on ebay for $325 plus shipping. Email me if interested. I don't need this many spares, I just need one.

TOSANCHEZ
Unregistered guest
Jim,
I have the same Problem... It's a Hair line crack on The Heat Shield Glass between the Lamp & Color wheel.......

ToSanchez
Unregistered guest
Does anyone Know What error Code 5 or 55 mean.....
Blue lights continue to flash 5 times, remain on for a period and flash again. After that point it flash continuously.

Virginia Beach, Va USA

Post Number: 7
ToSanchez: Thanks...Can you provide additional details? Do you have the same model? I would be interested in how you are going about the repair, parts, pricing, lead time on parts ect.?

Thanks in advance.

Jim (jleitman@cox.net)

ToSanchez
Unregistered guest
Jim,
I Have the HDLP61w151... I've been told that I would have to buy a New Engine @$1800 Not Going there.........

Virginia Beach, Va USA

Post Number: 8
RandyM:
What do you think about ToSanchez's responses (2) and what has been diagnosed for our problem?

I have a service guy coming this week. I also forgot about the additional warranty I have by using my credit card. It would be astonishing if the fix is 70% of what I paid in 08/04.

ToSanchez:

Thanks for your help

RandyM
Unregistered guest
Jim, I know the uv shield that he is talking about. I've never seen one broken before, but I can't rule it out as a possibility. A service tech probably would have to change the engine rather than disassemble all the way down to that part.

ToSanchez
Unregistered guest
Can anyone Help me the Steps to Changing Out the Blast on A HDP61W151.......

Thanks......

Username: Donc

Post Number: 4
Randy/Jose/Al in MA

I was still resisting the need to call a service tech, so I pulled the back off the TV and did a little maintnenance of my own. I used compressed air to clean the boards and tightened all of the connections between boards. I even pulled out and reseated the bulb unit. The result so far has been great. No dark pictures from external devices (X-box, DVDS, Etc) and no flickering of the picture. If anyone else if having these problems, I would suggest checking these connections, mine may have come loose during a move.

CarlosW42
Unregistered guest
RandyM
I'm starting to see a flicker every 15min. or so on my 61LPW42. Is the lamp going out? I'm still under warranty so should I have it looked at? All this talk about bum sets and lamps has me worried. Also I tried to check my lamp hours with the service menu but couldn't find it. Under what menu option is it?

Bronze Member
Username: Nu2itall

Findlay, OH

Post Number: 33
Just received my spare lamp today - a little over 9 weeks from placement of order.

RandyM
Unregistered guest
ToSanchez, the ballast supply is just a couple of screws and a couple of plugs, once you remove the backcover. Just do it with the ac removed and I don't think you'll run into any problems.

Don, we all have our collective fingers crossed.

Carlos, I'm not sure if your lamp is causing this or not. The lamp hours is in the service menu at location 90.

Big Woo
Unregistered guest
Hi Randy,

Here is an update on my HD61LPW42 problems.

After 4 flat out lies, 5 weeks and no less than 22 phone calls to Circuit City and their- eh hem-"customer relations" departments I was told me they cannot locate the replacement part (light engine)and therefore would allow me to exchange my TV for another one they have at the same price, or issue me a store credit.
The only DLP TV's they carry in that size cost about 2K more than I paid, so I was told I could just pay the difference in price (yeah,right!)
CC no longer carries the RCA brand in TV's of this size.

I called RCA Customer Relations in Richmond and they referred me to a local service center who called me back within 2 hours and informed me that their supplier had the part in stock and it would be delivered within 6-10 business days. I will keep my fingers crossed as I have opted to have my TV repaired.

My questions to you Randy are this:

1) How can I ensure that the new light engine has the re-designed/replacement color wheel and not the old prone-to-failure part? (part number?)

2) I have about 6 weeks left on my factory warranty (+ 1 year CC extended) so is it worth it in the long run to have this TV repaired, or might I be better off with a different television?

3) Did you and yours have a nice holiday season?

Thanks for your time and efforts on all of our behalf.

Big W

RandyM
Unregistered guest
Big Woo, sorry to hear of all the delays. CC has not carried our DLPs this past year, so I sorta understand their reluctance to help you out.

1. I don't know any way to guarantee that you will get the improved color wheel (I'm not sure if the part number changed or not), but I can say it's very likely you would get the new part.

2. You will have to make your own choice here. I'm hoping that you get a good replacement and your set is good for several years.

3. Yes, as a matter of fact, I've had a great time with family and hope your holidays have been good, too. I'm getting used to sleeping in, but it comes to an end on Tuesday; time to design more televisions.:-)

Unregistered guest
Hello all!

HD50LPW42 owner here.

The TV itself has been geat aside from the before mentioned bug of not accepting a 720p input via component of DVI :-(. Does the software update fix this? I'll give it a shot.

I was wondering if anyone else has had problems with the remotes. My first remote rolled over dead within 3 months of purchase of the set. My satellite reciever would control the TV so I didn't really care until later when Voom went dark.

I got the remote replaced under warranty (took about a week), but the replacement crapped out within a month. There is just no IR output whatsoever from the remote.

I bought this set new at the very end of January '05. I'm going to try to get another remote under warranty before my 1 year of ownership is up.

I also have the colorwheel noise at startup sometimes, but it seems to go away on it's own once the set warms up.

All this talk of lack of supply for bulbs has me worried - I might have to order a replacement just in case.

RandyM
Unregistered guest
Shawnz, sorry, but the architecture of the W42 will not allow 720p, so a software upgrade will not fix it. All of the scaling platforms since accept all common scan rates.

Also, before you think your remote is history, take the batteries out, use a little light sandpaper on the contacts and end of the batteries. The remote has such low power consumption, that it takes very little corrosion on the contacts to shut the remote down (or cause the lights at the top to race around, which indicates the remote is rebooting from intermittent voltage). You can also ocassionally "roll" the batteries around inside the remote with your finger to help break down any corrosion barrier.

Unregistered guest
RandyM,

I'm dissapointed to hear that. The ATSC tuner seems to be able to tune and display 720p just fine. Is it up converting to 1080i? It just seems odd to me since 1280x720 is the native resolution of the set.

I'll give your suggestion a try with the remote. The local service center tried new batteries etc and found like I did that no IR was coming out of the first remote.

You mentioned the lights at the top racing around and my remote definately does that. You may have nailed the problem. If cleaning it fixes it and the problem persists I'll try some dielectric grease in there. I'll try it tonight and report back.

Thanks!

RandyM
Unregistered guest
It's just the way the set handles component 720p; ATSC at 720p is just fine. And everything is converted to 720p for display.

Virginia Beach, Va USA

Post Number: 9
RandyM/ToSanchez
Local RCA Service Tech paid a visit today to tell me that my troubles are caused by a glue failure/heat related causeing a mirror to slip. The fix however is the same, replace the light engine. Preliminary estimate for the light engine is less than $700 plus labor. He also told me that the color wheel was noisy. I was unaware of this. Fix will come as an added bonus when the light engine is replaced. This is the 2nd mirror/glue failure that this service tech has seen. RandyM, from a design prospective, any thoughts? I never thought a TV would be high maintance. I also turned the service tech on to this forum.

Jim

fx
Unregistered guest
ShawnZ,

I thought I'd elaborate on the why of your question. When RCA produced their 1st generation DLP displays they used their on hand CRT input display circuitry for all external signal inputs (except for the ATSC tuner as Randy mentioned). Since all their CRT's only accepted 480i,480p and 1080i the DLP did the same.

That said I have been very pleased with my 1st Gen unit and am still on the first bulb with over 2700 hours of use.

xvxvxvx

Unregistered guest
RandyM- The remote lights up and looks like it's working, it just doesn't emit any IR. I cleanedthe contacts, rolled the batteries around etc - nada. I'm goignto try and get ti warantied before the warranty is up :-(.

fx- Thanks for the info. This set will eventually be replaced by a 1080p set of some flavor but much like your experience, it's been a good set. Do you use the built-in guide? I found it to be kind of wierd since the channels aren't in any dicenable order - lol. I don't use it any more since I went to Tivo & an external ATSC tuner.

Where can I check the life of my bulb? I flipped through the menus but couldn't find it.

Shawn

Burstboy
Unregistered guest
Glad to have so much input on a variety of issues. My RCA HD61LPW42 was new end of Jan 05. We started hearing what I thought was fan noise in the last few weeks. From reading your comments, it sounds like a light engine/color wheel issue. I plan to have my local service tech inspect/repair the set prior to the 12 mo. warranty expiration. Any suggestions on "demands" for repair/replacement of potential problem areas while the window is still open? Thanks!

Unregistered guest
Anyone Using thier set as a monitor for their PC?

I see that it will display up to 1920x1080 which I'd love mine to do, but I can't get Windows to let me select that resolution. Is there a Windows driver available for this set?

Big Woo
Unregistered guest
Burstboy- I have been waiting 6 weeks for the light engine for that same TV and still am waiting.
Hope you didn't buy it at Circuit City.
By far the worst Customer (dis)Service I have ever dealt with.
That noise will get unbearable soon.
Believe me.

Bronze Member
Username: Cheneyp

CT

Post Number: 16
Shawnz - I am using my set as a monitor at 640x480 mainly due to the limitations of my video card on my HTPC. Image is slightly overscanned (5%?) so it doesn't fit quite right but it is great to be able to watch Windows Media/Realplayer at 50" without having to convert files to mpeg/dvd format and burn on a DVD. If your card is capable, you should be able to use a (free) utility called Powerstrip to set your card up to use all of the available screen at a higher resolution. Remember, though, if you have a W42 set or earlier you can't input the native resolution (720 vertical lines) through component or DVI.

quicksaw
Unregistered guest
Big Woo - Have exact same problem with exact set, also purchased from CC. They told me today they could do nothing for me as far as exchange. Have contacted RCA/Thomson direct and they say they cannot locate light engine part anywhere in dstribution and new parts will not be available until June 06. The part number I need is 263223. Do you have contact information for service tech able to help me out?

Emercer
Unregistered guest
Anyone looking for a 260962 lamp, I recommend www.alltvlamps.com

They have lots in stock @ $399.00

fx
Unregistered guest
To ShawnZ,

Your unit will not display in 1920x1080. It is a native DLP unit and displays all inputs in it's native resolution of 720p. That being said you can search online for a free version of Powerstrip which allows you to customize you PC video output to fit your display.

Below is a link to a free download:

http://entechtaiwan.net/util/ps.shtm

xvxvxvx

Dr H
Unregistered guest
RandyM....I have finally received my color wheel for my HDLP50W151. It came with special instructions for alignment using the online chipper check. I have a 3.0 DSL line but do I need a keyboard for the TV? I also don't have a color meter. If and when I can connect are there any software updates that I should download for this TV, as I have never tried? Thanks

Bog Woo
Unregistered guest
Over seven weeks and counting.... Part 263223R is on backorder.
RCA again claims they will replace the TV if the "nationwide search" doesn't turn up the part.
Same thing I was told over 3 weeks ago.
I called the distibutor and they told me the part was expected in a few weeks, but not to hold my breath.

Circuit City has taken to placing my speakerphone on hold until I conveniently get disconnected.
A message to the Sr. Public Relations Officer at CC has resulted in.... a message from me to the Sr. Public relations Officer- and no response.

I bought the RCA because I believed they always put out a quality product.
Boy was I wrong.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 34
Hey Woo,
Call this number 1-580-634-0151. It will connect you with one of RCA's Research Teams. These are the folks who can actually do something for you. Unlike the people at the 800# who run 'World Wide Searches" which is techno speak for..." We sent out two midgets with backpacks and walking sticks to find your part. They should be back sometime in the future."

When you dial this number go thru the following sequence: #1, #5, #3, #1 this will get you to a team member. I got Lisa on Team #3 who was more than helpful and able.

Explain your problem and your inordinate wait. Be firm, not testy, but let them know you are tired of the World Wide searches and want something done. Not saying it will work for you as it did for me, but it is better than sitting home watching the blank screen of your RCA.

They solved my part problem by sending me a 61"DLP175 set which is just awesome!

Good luck.

Jumpback

Username: Thegrod

Post Number: 2
Shawnz-no problem with remotes for my dLP although I did buy a spare just in
case. I also bought a couple of spare bulbs which I realize now is a bit
excessive so I will eventually get around to listing on ebay but I offered
them up here about a month ago. If you are interested in a spare yourself I
need the model # but I think it is the 260962 for that model but it might be
the 265103. I have one of each.

karenfromcanada
Unregistered guest
Bruce, how much are you selling the 260962 for?

Username: Georgefg

Victor, NY

FYI
Some comments on my experience with the HDLP50W151. The good, bad and ugly. I have had the set for 23 months and I bought it with a 4 year extended warrenty (1 year from RCA + 4 years) since it was new technology with moving parts. 1. I did not know what QAM was but it magically decoded my basic cable HD stations. Great. RCA replaced the color wheel after 4 -6 months because I complained that it had a loud whine. No questions asked. I'm the only one in the family who can hear the high pitch and I'm the oldest male. Hmmm. Whine returned after a few months. The bulb went out and had it replaced under private warrenty after about 18 months (one week). The color wheel makes horrendous noises starting sometimes. Occasionaly won't start. Diagnosed as needing a new "light engine" over the phone. Took one week to get the part and it is scheduled to be installed this week.
My satellite is connected to DVI port and DVD to component. They both look great. I'll try a non-progressive feed.
What I do not like...I can't expand letter box programs from my satellite / DVR fed into the DVI at 1080i or 480p. I suppose I could do a second feed to 480i component but what a pain.
Set fits and looks great / nice picture and sound.
Are there any worthwhile software updates?

Blaylock
Unregistered guest
Sorry if this is a question that has already been answered, but can someone tell me where the ballast is and what it looks like on the HDLP50W151? I am fairly sure this is what is not working all of the time on my set and I would like to attempt to replace it unless you think that is too difficult. I assume that I need to remove the back cover, but then where do I go from there? Thanks for any advice/help.

Unregistered guest
Help.... I just bought a HD50LPW175 on the 3rd of Jan. Worked fine till yesterday. I had the cable guy hook up HDTV box and it worked perfect. Got home last night and now I have sound but no picture. I get the blinking 5x on the front of the TV. In the manual it says the lamp could be out. Is there a way to test the lamp? Would or could the lamp go out in 2 weeks?
Is there a way to check the continuity of the lamp? Or is there any other troubleshooting procedures I can do? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Virginia Beach, Va USA

Post Number: 10
You can pull the lamp out very easily (2 min). If its the lamp, you will probably be able to see the filament broken or severed. Just like looking at a regular light bulb.

Matt from Maryland
Unregistered guest
Hey Don C,

I've the exact same problem with my RCA DLP for almost TWO years!!! It's the HD61LPW42 model.

The screen goes dark with red and the only way to fix it is to turn it off wait a minute or two and restart it. It never does this on the DVI port, but on all the other ports it does.

Is that what you were seeing?

I'm gonna try your fix. I've had three TV repairman out under warrenty to fix the problelm and none of them could figure it out and RCA basically said there was nothing they could do. Man was I mad at them.

Bronze Member

Findlay, OH

Post Number: 34
I've had the HD61LPW163 for 15 months now and occasionally had the problem you're describing the first 6 months or so. What I think you're experiencing is a lamp that won't "start". I've searched out articles on the subject and learned that the lamps don't have a filament like a traditional bulb, they actually strike an arc over a very precise gap. Much like a spark plug or welding arc. As the bulbs age that gap will gradually widen to the point where it will no longer be able to start the arc, it doesn't actually burn out like a bulb in the traditional sense. This caused me concern because I felt that I probably had a lamp that was ready to blow. What I've experienced is just the opposite however, I have about 2500 hours on the lamp and the TV always fires up right away with no delay. I no longer see that problem at all. What I'm speculating is that maybe the gap on my lamp was a little too tight initially and has now "burned" itself in to a more ideal gap. This is just a guess (and maybe wishfull thinking) on my part, but it makes sense to me.

In addition, I purchased a spare lamp a few weeks ago and decided to install the new lamp for a month just to make sure it's good. After a month I'm going to put the old lamp back in and use it until it dies. I think it's interesting to point out is that with this new lamp my TV has continued to fire up immediately without delay.

Unregistered guest
RandyM, I see you know a lot about RCA DLP's in general, but not sure if you would know anything about the sales of them. My question is: Costco is advertising a $300 off coupon on an RCA 50" DLP, but they don't give a model number, and none of the stores have them in stock, and they won't until the start of the sale which will be sometime in Feb... you wouldn't happen to know if it will be the HD50LPW175 model, would you?

Any info appreciated.

PS. I already tried calling a few different Costco stores, and none of the people I spoke with know which model it will be.

skyleee
Unregistered guest
I am interested in buying the HD61LPW175 and while it is available for purchase online I cannot find anything about it at rca.com. No spec sheet, no user manual in fact, it doesn't even recognize this model number for warranty registration. So, while I've noticed one of the posters here does indeed own this t.v. and it therefore does exist, I am leery of purchasing this t.v now as it seems to have been discontinued or something. The lack of information on this t.v baffles me....

Bronze Member

Post Number: 35
Skyleee, that is odd that it is not on their web site now. I say now, because when RCA was going to send me a replacement set and it was going to be the 175 I went to the RCA website and found it and liked it a lot. Dont know what happened to it.

I can tell you it is one whale of a set. I have had a million compliments from friends saying it is the best picture they have ever seen. I love it!

To be honest though, I am concerned over the reliability and parts availability. RCA has replaced two sets because of each of those concerns. While I absolutely think they are a great company for standing behind their product like that my experience with the product leaves me somewhat nervous.

skyleee
Unregistered guest
Jumpback thanks for the reply, I contacted rca.com and asked the status of this t.v. and was sent a very generic e-mail along the lines of our products are available through department stores and discount oulets ect. No information from them it seems. I was wondering if you had seen the 62HM95 by Toshiba and how it compares to your RCA? These are the two on my list, thanks in advance for any insight.

Big Woo
Unregistered guest
I called Circuit City about my TV status and I was told my caseworker, Talitha Waller closed my case and thats why no one has contacted me.
62 days after my first call and my TV still doesn't work.
I am watching my 8 year old RCA TV that has never had a problem in it's life trying to remember when Quality, Craftsmanship, and Pride meant something in America.

HD61LPW42-Circuit City and RCA
"Caveat Emptor"

Bronze Member

Post Number: 36
Hey Woo,
If you are going to come onto the site and moan about your RCA problem and ignore any advice given what is the point of coming on?

Read my post 13 posts ago. Did you try any of the advice? It would be nice if someone goes out of there way to help you and you make no mention of it that's on you. I am not saying the Research Group will solve your problem, but they might.

If you are just going to sit back and wait for everyone to stay on top of your problems and do nothing on your end what can I say?

Your last posts indicates you last spoke to Circuit City 62 days ago! Whose fault is that? Circuit Cities?....Perhaps. But, I dont think I would wait two months before calling someone who is suppose to be helping me out. I would be on the phone with them every other day. Squeeky wheel theory.

If you are just going to sit passively by and wait for someone to solve your problems you are going to be watching your 8 year old RCA for a long time.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 37
Skylee,
I do not have any input on the Toshiba product. Is it a DLP? I certainly would stay with the DLP technology in whatever brand you choose. The brighness and clarity is unsurpassed in my opinion.

I can recommend Samsung products. Take a look at their 61" set. It is pretty awesome. They even have a deal if your buy a set over 32" they will send you a DVD recorder which is pretty sweet.

RCA products, in general, seem to have a price edge on most sizes. But again, while the picture quality on the 175 is magnificent the jury is out on the quality and availablity of parts. I guess you can make that statement on any product though.

Big Woo
Unregistered guest
Jumpback,
If you would have read my earlier post I had called 22 times in the first 5 weeks and since then 15 in the last three weeks.
This doesn't include the times I was conveniently disconnected waiting for a "supervisor" to get on the phone and called back.
I have now been informed that the part has arrived, and they asked me to wait at home for a service call betweeen the hours of 10AM-5PM.
We will try to narrow that down to an hour so I don't have to miss that much work.

egomezelp
Unregistered guest
I have a HD61LPW165 i want to adjust the screen size, the image is to big to fit on the viewable area, i jus want to enter in service mode and adjust the size, i hope someone have the steps to do so.

Unregistered guest
Don C and Matt from Maryland,
I have the same problem with the screen going black with a very faint red on non high definition stations only. My HD61LPW42 set is 18 months old. The problem started shortly after I bought it and progressively got worse until I can only watch HD channels...DVD has the same problem. I took Don's advice this weekend and checked all the connections which seem to be fine. I took the lamp out and reinstalled it. I was very careful not to disturb anything. I am an electrical engineer. However, when I put the cover back on, the set does not work at all now. No sound or picture. I can hear the light engine run but the lamp doesn't ignite. I put my new spare lamp in but exact same problem. The power light blinks 4 times periodically. I will call for service. I don't believe the tuner has ever worked either as I have never been able to get one digital channel using a powered UHF antenna. I live 23 miles from Boston. Never worried about that as I have cable. I also noticed that I have a crack in the heat shield.

michaelf
Unregistered guest
Dave R., I also saw the Costco coupon. I am interested to see which model it is. The 175 which seems to be the latest and greatest (or at least what is being used as a replacement for defective sets), or an older model. To Randy M., if you have any info regarding this, I would be very interested. It seems that the RCA would be a good buy, if the "issues" with RCA sets are indeed cured by the 175 model.

Unregistered guest
Michael F, I'm still trying to find out which model it's going to be myself... although I'm on the verge of buying a 46" Samsung HLR4667W for around the same price (well, a little more) that I would pay for the RCA 175 model at Costco (in Feb), provided it is in fact the 175?? that info seems to be confidential for some ridiculous reason...

Dr H
Unregistered guest
Hey does anyone know where RandyM is? Also has anyone had their colorwheel changed? I have the part but I read that I would need a color meter to align the color wheel..some of those cost more than the tv. Any suggestions?

ScottH
Unregistered guest
re: upcoming Costco RCA DLP deal

I called the main Costco 800 number and got the model number for the TV that is supposed be sold with this coupon. They told me it was a HD50LPW166PK.

That doesn't show up anywhere on RCA's web site, of course. So, I tried calling RCA's 800 number for more info. The guy there actually had some of the info I wanted, but not everything. He could not tell me what imaging chips were in the unit. He wasn't able to tell me if it matched an existing model number. He did say it had 2 composite, 1 component, and an HDMI input. Also, AV out with variable and fixed out out, and G-Link connections.

The price is right at $1500. But, I'd really like to know what imaging chip is in there. Also, I'd like to know about how the HDMI connection might work with a computer input (or the component inputs with a computer).

ScottH
Unregistered guest
re: upcoming Costco RCA DLP deal

I called the main Costco 800 number and got the model number for the TV that is supposed be sold with this coupon. They told me it was a HD50LPW166PK.

That doesn't show up anywhere on RCA's web site, of course. So, I tried calling RCA's 800 number for more info. The guy there actually had some of the info I wanted, but not everything. He could not tell me what imaging chips were in the unit. He wasn't able to tell me if it matched an existing model number. He did say it had 2 composite, 1 component, and an HDMI input. Also, AV out with variable and fixed out out, and G-Link connections.

The price is right at $1500. But, I'd really like to know what imaging chip is in there. Also, I'd like to know about how the HDMI connection might work with a computer input (or the component inputs with a computer).

fx
Unregistered guest
Just an FYI, the model number will be for Costco only so a web search won't help you much yet. This is done to avoid any price matching with internet stores. Many B&M stores have been doing this on high ticket items for several years now.

xvxvxvx

Big Woo
Unregistered guest
They came out to replace the light engine and discovered the bulb was blown out too.
Bulb is on backorder 'til who knows when.

I first called that 580-634-0151 number on 12/16.
I made my 18th and 19th call to them today.
I have been put on hold for a total of 2 hrs 7 minutes to date.

The 0151 number disconnected me (again) after 20 minutes on hold waiting for a supervisor. This was my second call today after the first customer service rep refused to let me talk to anyone in charge and told me he could only provide me with an address for the research department or corporate office in VA.

TV repair shop says they can replace the bulb and get the TV working with Thompson's blessing with " a different type of bulb"- not the original part #. Ruht-rowh.

I have never been rude or angry with anyone I have spoken with, just expressed my frustrations.
I guess with a couple of pcs. of tape and a big sheet of paper I can have an expensive easel in my living room.

michaelf
Unregistered guest
Hey Dave R., Just checked out RCA's website and they now list the costco model # set. The spec sheet says it has a dark 2 chip. i don't know if that is good or bad at this point. I am curious if this set has a 6 or 7 segment color wheel. I also wonder what existing model this really represents. Or is it new technology in some leftover cabinets they had laying around and needed to use up. The factory warranty should be enhanced by costco's policy, but I don't remember exactly what that is.

michaelf.
Unregistered guest
Also, I did not see a picture in picture option listed.

PythonNF
Unregistered guest
I found a site on E-Bay selling Osram replacement bulbs (bulbs only not assembly). The price is only $99+shipping. The company is in Shanghai, China. Anyone order from here before. Also how difficult is it to mount the bulb in the assembly?

Unregistered guest
Michael F, thanks for the info! although, I had sort of the same feelings you have where they may be some "left over" cabinets and/or the older model TV's, so I already went ahead and bought the Samsung HLR4667W! I got it for around $1500 (although they didn't throw in the stand, as I had hoped)... but none the less, it's all set up and I'm very happy with it!

Std. analog channels don't look so hot on it (but as with most DLP's, I was expecting that)... but HD and DVD's look fantastic!!

Good luck with the Costco one!

PS. if it is in fact the 175 model, then it will be well worth the wait!

michaelf
Unregistered guest
If Randy M. is out there still, could you please let me know how the 166PK compares to the 175. Does it have a six or seven segment color wheel? Any other info would be appreciated.

Unregistered guest
yep, it's now showing up on RCA's website as "available at Costco". looks like it is the 166PK... I'm kinda glad I went with the Samsung at this point. although, I would probably spend the few extra $$ for the 175 model as opposed to the 166PK (if I were still interested in an RCA, that is):

http://tv.rca.com/en-US/ModelDetail.html?MN=HD50LPW166PK&nav=ByTechnology&PC=Hig hDefinition

michaelf
Unregistered guest
DaveR. I think that one of the more attractive aspects of the Costco deal is the return policy that it comes with. If I am not mistaken it is almost like an extended warranty.

Big Woo
Unregistered guest
The service techs just left my house. 73 days since my first call about the problem I was having.
They replace the light engine, the bulb, and the ballast.
I now have a picture, but blurred by snow on all channels through every input.
They have no idea what to do next other than replace the entire circuit board assemblies.
If this is what they decide to do they would have replaced every single electronic component of this TV.
Thompson needs confirmation from the service center that they can't repair the TV before proceeding.
Think they will try to kick this dead dog one more time or just replace the darn thing like they said they would some 10 weeks ago.

MSCMIKE
Unregistered guest
I was wondering if anyone else had run into the problem I had with my RCA 61" DLP. The set is appx. 1 year old and I noticed that occasionally when I would turn it on it would make a buzzing noise and the light would not come on until the other day it wouldn`t start at all. I was facing watching the Superbowl on a 13" portable so I pulled out the lamp housing and the bulb looked ok to me which all I could say is the little filament was intact. I noticed though that when I started to reinstall the housing one of the pins that plugs in for the lamp looked corroded or like maybe it had been getting a bad connection so I used some emery cloth and cleaned it up. Plugged the tv back in and it started right up and worked fine.

Anonymous

My HD61LPW42 blues.. Worked great for 1 year then had a lamp replaced..After that the unit after warmup would shutdown when hot.Service tech said needed color wheel?? and another lamp but all parts on backorder.. Called Thompson to complain they are sending a new HD61LPW175 model woohoo!!!
RCA/Thompson has taken care of this customer...Only problem is I lose BB extended warranty.. Ohh well I am still happy..

Big Woo
Unregistered guest
After 7 calls (five of which were disconnected today without speaking to a person), I was told Tech Line is "working in it" about my distortion problems with the picture.
They told me to wait at least another week for them to find a solution.
The old song and dance.
How on earth did you get them to replace the TV when all they have done is made me wait?
11 weeks and counting...
They replaced my bulb with a non standard part so I am wondering what type of band-aid they will try to come up with next.
I have cobwebs growing on me waiting for this TV to get fixed or replaced.

Unregistered guest
Anyone know what lamp/bulb the Costco Scenium (model HD50LPW166pk) uses? Also, does this model equate to one of the other current RCA DLP 50" models? thanks!

Big Woo
Unregistered guest
Techline told me today- "Replacement is NOT an option"
I am now waiting for some formatter part, 3-7 business days.
THEN the guy told me my first call to them was in the middle of January as far as extending the factory warranty.
My phone records indicate my first call to the (508) number with my problem was December 8th at 11:48AM. I made several calls earlier than this to other numbers I was provided with.
I would be EXTREMLY wary of buying anything with the RCA or Thompson brand as their Customer Service is basically non-existant.

compgeed
Unregistered guest
Is there any warning signs for impending bulb failure? I have a HD61LPW162 and once in awhile I get the same symptoms as described above - turn set on, hear a spinning noise (color wheel?), get the 5 blinks, spinning noise stops, then it repeats itself. If I unplug the set and then plug it back in it seems to fix it. Is this a sign that the bulb is on it's way out or maybe a sign that there is a problem with the color wheel?

Bronze Member

Findlay, OH

Post Number: 35
compgeed. My 163 would do the same thing for the first 6 months and then just seemed to stop. I would like to note that I never unplugged the set to get it going, it would always eventually start on it's own. Sometimes it would take as long as 15 minutes in the extreme, but it always pulled through. I've now had the set for 16 months and it fires up right away every time, still using the original lamp. I did purchase a spare lamp however and would recommend the same to you or anyone else. The lamp will eventually fail and it's nice knowing I'll be back up and running without delay.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 40
Hey, Anonymous,
That is GREAT news! You are going to love your 175. It has a sensational picture. I guess you know that replacement sets are only warranted for three months.

I wish there was an extended warranty available thru RCA, but there is not.

compgeed
Unregistered guest
*update* I removed the bulb to check the contacts and to see if I saw anything out of the ordinary. Everything looked okay so I vacuumed out the bulb compartment and re-insterted the bulb. After plugging it back in it fired up with no problem. I'll just wait and see how it goes from here.

I see that I can get a replacement bulb for about $358 and they are available. It would be a nice feeling to have a spare on hand but I have the Best Buy coverage so I am hesitant to spend any extra.

On a side note - I hooked up a HTPC to my 162 via a DVI-to-HDMI cable and the video quality really suprised me! Much better then I had hoped. DVDs and video files look awesome. Running XP Media Center 2005.

Username: Pythonnf

St. John's, Newfoundland Canada

I just received a replacement Osram bulb (bulb only) I got it on an E-Bay site for $99 + shipping from Shanghai, China. This is a spare for my HD50LPW162 set. Has anyone had experience mounting a bulb in the assembly?

Greg Sarlo
Unregistered guest
Here's my story.

I purchased a HD61LPW162 in April of '04. Within 6 months, I was having all of the little quirks I read above; Bulb not coming on, loud whirring sounds, etc. I went thru the spare parts thing, waiting, waiting for light engine etc. Finally in Apr '05, RCA/Thom sent me a HD61THW263.

Mind you, this was their flagship DLP retailing at over $7000 at the time. At this point, I was ecstatic. I never expected RCA to do this for me, I felt more than compensated for my time/trouble with the first set.

That was short lived.

Nov '05 rolls around and my brand new (MFG date Feb '05) THW263 exhibits the same problem as Jim's above. I've got a much bigger shadow than his though, running from the top right of the screen, all the way to the left and about 6" down.

I call Scenium service, am denied repair due to the 90 day replacement warranty. I wrote the RCA/Thompson review board in Oklahoma, sent pictures of my TV and my sob story, but was still denied.

I was quoted by my local service that the light engine for this TV is $2500. It probably needs a new lamp too because I've been noticing the picture is dim, either that or it is losing alot of light through the crack which is causing the shadowing effect.

To top it off, I come home today and it won't even power up. Nothing, nada. No blinking lights, nothing. ARRRRRGH!!!!

I've got 4K invested in the original, they want $2500 + labor + bulb to fix the THW263. I'm screwed, any suggestions?????!!!

I may be going back to tube technology, you're losing me here!!!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 41
Greg,
Geez, I feel your pain. While the technology is terrific for great tv watching I have to say the technology for longevity and problem free ownership is a thing of the past.

I am sitting with a replacement set which is about three months old. I am on borrowed time already.

Unless one looks at a DLP television as a two or three and maybe five year purchase you are being set up for disappointement. No way can these sets last like 'old' sets...10+ years.

They are like disposable pens and razors.

camcoy
Unregistered guest
I guess the lesson to be learned in all of this is to buy any "new technology" TV at Costco and just return it whenever it fails! That's my plan anyway, having read all of these horror stories on these message boards.

Greg Sarlo
Unregistered guest
Does anyone know if there is a hidden reset in the THW263 that may cure the power on problem?

Thanks for the condolances.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 42
Greg, I was wondering if you thought of this too at some point. When you got your replacement set no where is it mentioned that the warranty is three months. In fact, I filled out a card for the normal one year factory warranty and sent it in as I suspect you did too.

This three month warranty is only brought up when you have a problem. This seems like extremely bad business practice on the part of RCA.

It also wigs me out that RCA does not offer an extended warranty either through themselves or a third party. The consumer is left hanging after three short months.

I wonder if there is some governmental agency that monitors bad business practices of companies.

Greg Sarlo
Unregistered guest
Jumpback- I could swear I heard the CS agent tell me on the phone that there was a one year manufactures warranty with the replacement. I mentioned this in all of my correspondences with RCA, but it fell on deaf ears.

As a matter of fact, one CS agent told me I was covered on the 2nd set when I called in the repair. I made sure she understood it was a replacement, but I was unsure as to the exact date I recieved it. She then told me that based on the Assembly date, she would give me a "purchase date" of Aug'05.

It was only after the service center called in the ticket for the parts, that I was denied. I was shocked when they told me only 3 months. Seems an easy way for RCA/Tom to get out of warranty issues, give 'em a new set only good for 3 months! Brilliant!

I'll start with the Better Business Bureau. Then maybe the FTC.

I am really up in the air about what to do with this unit. While it is a beautiful set with an awesome picture (when it's working), I don't know if I want to sink another 3K into it, only to possibly have more problems down the road.

What really irks me is; IF they would have had parts to replace the light engine on my original set, theoretically, if the light engine died again in the same timeframe as my story played out, I would have STILL been covered!!

Now I'm left out in the cold with a 7K TV that won't even turn on, needs a light engine and a bulb.

I'm wondering if anyone sells the light engines online yet, still searching.

Also am considering selling it to a repair shop (for whatever I can get) and moving on.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 43
Greg, If the complaints to BBB and FTC or whoever doesnt work I think it would be best to move on.

Dumping $3000 into a set and still having no warranty doesnt make any sense. These TV's are just too unpredictable. I would do the repairs if you had reasonable insurance that they would last a goodly time. But, hey, it could go out next month and you would be out the repair costs.

Hey, for $3,000 you can buy a really nice DLP from most any other mfg and get an extended warranty.

What is your opinion of the 'replacement' sets? Do you think they are actually brand new pieces of equipment? or are they repair jobs? I wonder this because both my tv's that RCA replaced they took back. What do they do with these sets? Why would they pay the shipping costs and just have them sit around? Do they canabalize parts from these returns?

I still think it is outrageous that there is only a three month warranty on a set. Why would that be? Do they expect the set not to last a year? Or since it may be pieced together from various other returns they dont want to be responsible for it.

No where in the booklet do they mention anything but a one year warranty. The card you send in also states a one year warranty from the date.

Good luck. I know the frustration you are having because I went thru this twice. After a while you get really tired about talking tv's.

Unregistered guest
I am about to purchase an HD44LPW62 from the retailer my wife works at. I have not seen any posts related to this TV.

Do you guys have any opinions on it?

We will be using it mostly for digital cable, HD is not available through the box yet. DVDs will also be used. Some PS2 gaming, primarily GT4, other racers, and some sports games.

Our TV will be on for an average of 12 hours daily.

Considering the set has a MSRP of $2099 and I'm getting if for $1499, I can't pass it up. I was going to get a Syntax 37" LCD for $1599. Put when it comes down to it, I was very impressed with the RCA and in this case size does matter.

http://tv.rca.com/en-US/ModelDetail.html?MN=HD44LPW62&nav=BySize&PC=BySizeLarge
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us