Archive through March 09, 2007

Username: 2mbr8rpaige

A

Post Number: 1
I stumbled upon this board and thought I would tell my story.

August 06, I had my RCA Scenium 50" DLP sent in for repairs to our local service center here in Anchorage, AK. After a $300+ light bulb change that didn't fix the television, we sent the TV back in for repair. The part that was needed was scheduled to arrive on 9/11/06, and was then put on backorder. My boyfriend called RCA on Wed 9/20 to request either a new TV, or a refund, and on Tues 9/26 when he called back to RCA, the company had a shipping number for the new RCA TV that they had sent out on Monday 9/25. It is scheduled to arrive tomorrow, 9/28. We shall see if my confidence in RCA is restored. :-)

Username: Jeremy_m70

US

I'm having problems with my HD50LPW175.

I bought it Dec 05 and within a couple of weeks, the picture was distorted (a white, gray and/or silverish texture) when turned on. It orginally would clear up in a few minutes but as days elapsed, minutes became hours!!! The service man came by,tweeked the unit, and was gone in 30 min. I wished i was there that day , my wife was thought but got little information from the service man. Problem was 99% fixed for about 2 days, now it is constently distorted and will not clear up at all. After a 3 week run around with the service center i was told that a light engine has been ordered. I wished someone would have told me this 3 weeks earlier. But now, 5 weeks later, i know as much as i did before. Nothing!! And after reading this forum, I have been feeling sick wondering if parts will be here this year. Since 3 out of 6 calls to thomson my previous case number disapeared, i wonder if the part is even ordered. I have a few questions and any responses will be greatly appreciated.
1. Does this problem sound like a light engine problem??
2. I also have noticed a short, slightly loud buzzing or zipping sound when unit is turned on.Should i be alarmed by this??
3. This is the first tv i have had with lamps, Is it better to leave tv on and not turned off as often or turn off when not using??

Silver Member
Username: Jumpback

Post Number: 105
Paige, RCA is pretty good on replacing TV's. That is the good news. Bad news is that they have a lot of experience doing so because their products are far from being reliable as to parts availability and product failures. Be careful on one score. Normally, replacement sets only have provide you with a three month warranty not the one year warranty. So by the end of the year you will be on your own.

Jeremy..It seems to me whatever goes wrong with a set the repair guys always replace the light engine. It is easy to do, but in my experience it never did solve my myriad of problems. Maybe you will be lucky.

One bit of advice. You are still under warranty. Dont rest until that set works perfectly. Even if you go past your warranty expiration date you will be okay if the intial report was made within the warranty period which yours was.

I guaranty that if the light engine doesnt work they will then start looking at "The Board". I am sure it has a better name, but the sequence is usually...the lamp, the light engine, the Board. Unfortunately, this process of diagnosing, part ordering, installation goes on for months and months. That is if you are fortunate enough to have parts available from RCA.

I asked the same question to repair people and people on this board regarding turning off the tv or leaving it on. General consensus was to leave it on if you are coming back in less than an hour. Most mentioned that the start up and turning off the set was harder on the lamp than leaving it on. Not sure if anyone really knows, but that is what I do now. Of course, if you leave the house and the set catches on fire it would be a bad call.

US

Post Number: 2
Called repair shop to get part number today. To my surprise they have ordered the part not through thomson (RCA) but a independent company. Not a surprise though said part is on back order (makes me wonder where the parts for the new tv's come from!!!). Would not give me an ETA on part. Looks like i'm entering the nightmare of those before me. Honestly i loved my TV, but seeing the dead shell of what once was a Tv on it's stand makes me boil more every football saturday that passes. I don't blame RCA for the light engine failure since they didn't make the part ( and things do happen), but their concern for customer satisfaction ranks up there with pulling teeth and their customer service is as realiable as the stock market. I hope i get tickets for their customer appreciation day!! I hear they are giving away free cars but there will be no gasoline available anywhere!! Haha!!

Username: Stranglove60

Post Number: 5
Hay Bob;
My TV is fixed! Got the TV back to my Home yesterday. The TV works fine and as of the moment I am satisfied with the results. It looks and plays fine.
My TV went down about the middle of May, got picked up by the service shop July 1, was fixed on Oct. 28, and returned to me on Oct. 29, nearly 6 months later. If you remember, that's exactly what I had to look farward to.
Here's hoping it last.
Wallace

Bronze Member
Username: Turbo15479

Post Number: 46
Wallace,
I am glad you finally have your tv fixed but I am sorry to hear it took that long. I had the model number you have and just before the 90 day return period it acted up so I returned it to Walmart. I bought another RCA set ( basically the same one but the newer model ) and so far it has been great. It has the velocity scan modulation and the picture is outstanding. Again, I am glad it worked out for you. Bob

Username: Kito2112

Post Number: 9
Sorry to hear not much has changed in the RCA world.

My 61THW263, is still hanging in there, albeit with a shadow in the upper left hand corner of the screen. My replacement bulb from Alltvlamps is doing good after 5+ months.

Jump, how's your Sammy doing?

Silver Member

Post Number: 106
Greg,thanks for asking. It is doing just fine. It starts when you hit the 'on' button and does not turn off all by itself. I have had it about five months. Five months usually was the DANGER ZONE for RCA's.

I dont think the picture is any better than the RCA. Both are terrific. Just hoping the reliability is light years better.

I had to shed a tear reading Wallaces saga. As most of you know with my three RCA's (the original set and two replacement sets)I was without a television for about one year of the four years that I had them due to repair/parts problems. Finally, whether thru determination on my part or RCA getting sick of my calls they bought the last set back from me.

I check this site from time to time. Not sure why. I guess I have turned into a peeper spying on the victims of Thomson Electronics.

Username: Aiki_warrior

Hello everone, just wanted to post my experience so far with my rca.....

It is a hd50lpw175 50 inch tv..

We bought it sept 2nd of 06 from Best Buy...it had an "open box" discount of $200.00..I was apprehensive about getting it because I had read some of your reviews prior to getting it....

( we saw an Rca 52" for $800.00 at wallmart....was hd and everything..I thought that was rediculously cheap and went home and read about it off of here...and they where not good...)

Anyhow, I read reviews of the one we did get and felt better that it seemed to get good reviews..(independent of this site)

It QUIT WORKING last sunday..

I turned it on and heard a loud "popping" noise...maybe the lamp......anyhow called best buy, was told since it was not working and we did not have the extended warranty and was also past the 30 day return policy that their hands where tied...

It was up to rca now with the manufactures warranty..

Called Rca after Best buy and was told I would get a call within 3 business days to set up for it to get fixed.... The following day, I had become more frustrated and upset so I called Rca again...guess what..I was told that I would have to find a repair place ......

I explained that I did not feel it was my responsibility to spend my time doing this....

Anyhow, I had them search for me and the closest place was in Sarasota Fl. We live in Naples!!!! It is at least 2 hours from here....!!!! I then told them how ridiculous this was becoming, and was told to call their "costumer relations" # ......

(JESUS!!!!) I did call and told them the same story and told them that if it was not fixed by next monday, that I was going to be submitting legal letters to both Best Buy and Rca....

The girl on the phone told me she was going to "EMAIL her supervisor" or whoever and I would hear from them in the next day or so......
SO this is where we are as of now....

Also, I did not know that the tv was a 05 model till after we got it home and I hooked up my game systems....I told both parties that the reason I did not get an extended warranty was because we had confidence in both Best Buy and the Tv.....

My girlfriend call Best Buys finance department and told them that we are not going to make any more payments on it untill it is fixed.. ( We opted for the 6 months no interest payment deal) They put a dispute on it and we are waiting now for phone calls....

So there you go guys...that is my story....

The tv was great while it worked.....I feel better now after venting and am contemplating my next move....

I can not imagine how Rca can stay in business and also why Best Buy's "hands are tied" with this situation....

On a funny note, I even called someone from Clark Howards consumer relations volunteer #.

Well she must of got tired of listening to me and just blew me off and hung up on me... I have more to say about this, however this is enough for now....
~Aiki Warrior~

Hello everone, just wanted to post my experience so far with my rca.....

It is a hd50lpw175 50 inch tv..

We bought it sept 2nd of 06 from Best Buy...it had an "open box" discount of $200.00..I was apprehensive about getting it because I had read some of your reviews prior to getting it....

( we saw an Rca 52" for $800.00 at wallmart....was hd and everything..I thought that was rediculously cheap and went home and read about it off of here...and they where not good...)

Anyhow, I read reviews of the one we did get and felt better that it seemed to get good reviews..(independent of this site)

It QUIT WORKING last sunday..

I turned it on and heard a loud "popping" noise...maybe the lamp......anyhow called best buy, was told since it was not working and we did not have the extended warranty and was also past the 30 day return policy that their hands where tied...

It was up to rca now with the manufactures warranty..

Called Rca after Best buy and was told I would get a call within 3 business days to set up for it to get fixed.... The following day, I had become more frustrated and upset so I called Rca again...guess what..I was told that I would have to find a repair place ......

I explained that I did not feel it was my responsibility to spend my time doing this....

Anyhow, I had them search for me and the closest place was in Sarasota Fl. We live in Naples!!!! It is at least 2 hours from here....!!!! I then told them how ridiculous this was becoming, and was told to call their "costumer relations" # ......

(JESUS!!!!) I did call and told them the same story and told them that if it was not fixed by next monday, that I was going to be submitting legal letters to both Best Buy and Rca....

The girl on the phone told me she was going to "EMAIL her supervisor" or whoever and I would hear from them in the next day or so......
SO this is where we are as of now....

Also, I did not know that the tv was a 05 model till after we got it home and I hooked up my game systems....I told both parties that the reason I did not get an extended warranty was because we had confidence in both Best Buy and the Tv.....

My girlfriend called Best Buys finance department and told them that we are not going to make any more payments on it untill it is fixed.. ( We opted for the 6 months no interest payment deal) They put a dispute on it and we are waiting now for phone calls....

So there you go guys...that is my story....

The tv was great while it worked.....I feel better now after venting and am contemplating my next move....

I can not imagine how Rca can stay in business and also why Best Buy's "hands are tied" with this situation....

On a funny note, I even called someone from Clark Howards consumer relations volunteer #.

Well she must of got tired of listening to me and just blew me off and hung up on me... I have more to say about this, however this is enough for now....
~Aiki Warrior~

US

Post Number: 3
Jason sorry to hear about your story!

I have the same TV and I have been waiting almost 2 months for my replacement light engine. I am no expert like others on this forum but it sounds like the lamp blew, which is a minor problem. If you still have your paperwork that came with the TV there is a individual sheet that has instructions on how to replace the lamp. You can use it to take out the lamp and see if it may have blew.

You may try calling thomson back and see if their are any other RCA certified repairmen closer to you than the ones given to you. I called them 3 different times to find one, first time i called they gave me a number that no-longer does repair service, the second time the closest one was 1 1/2 hour away and the third time they actually found one that would come to my house. I guess it depends on the person you speak with. It also helps to give the name of the cities that are closest to you if you have not done so already.

The bad news is if they can not find one in your service area, according to their warrenty you will be responsable to take it to them. It sucks I know but it is in print in your warrenty information in owners manual. But they might work with you if they find the distance to be to far and let you use a local repairman, so they have told me. Trust me when I say i felt the same way you do about their piss poor service, but Best Buy and RCA have done received their money on the TV and your financing is through an independent company HRS(regardless if best buy is on the card and statement), I know both Best Buy and Yamaha motor corp uses this finance company from past experience. If i'm correct and you don't make payments it will only hurt your credit which will cost you in the long haul by voiding your 6 month no interst and jacking the interest rate to something like 29.99% and killing your credit score. I hope everything works out for you.

I bought my hd50lpw175 at best buy also and even if you did get an extended warrenty they would not touch it until the factory warrenty has expired.

I believe the lamp cost around $250 and are easily found, and if this is the problem consider yourself lucky because the light engine is about $1000 and has been on backorder for weeks to months. RCA (Thomson) will pay for all repairs but they are not concerned about how long it takes for the parts to be received.

Again i truley understand your fustration. I paid over $2000 for my hd50lpw175 to watch college football and now its half way through the season and i'm still without a watchable bigscreen tv.

Please take these comments as friendly advice from one RCA victom to another. I will be happy to help you with any information form my experience but the reality of what I have learned is that it is a waiting game.

Silver Member

Post Number: 107
Ah, my good friend Jeremy. You are learning the ways of RCA/Thomson. A waiting game it is. Just the name of RCA makes my skin crawl. Month after month just seeing that blank screen stare back at me in my living room made me want to shoot myself in the head.

I had a problem similar to Jason. My lamp went out when it was under warranty. I called RCA and they would not pay for a lamp unless a 'professional'diagnosed the problem. My response was the set is doing exactly what the manual said it would do if the lamp was expired ie, blink three times etc.

I made at least five calls on this to different people when finally one told me they would send me a lamp so I could install it. Of course, THEY HAD NO LAMPS AVAILABLE. If this wasnt so damn expensive and time consuming and aggravating it would almost be funny...almost.

Hi guys, good news!! 2 days after I posted this, we still had not received a call......Well I finally had had enough!!!

I called Best Buy, talked to a supervisor, told him the story and told him that I had had enough.....told him I did not want the tv and just wanted a refund.... Anyhow he was very understanding and told me that I could return it...

So it was returned and we bought a BRAND NEW Samsung 50 hd dlp......He even took off the delivery charge for it.....

I wanted to tell you guys that I was motivated to take care of this, because of what you had been through...I just got to the point where it was time to "put the hammer down"...

Thank you, and I will keep you posted...the model we are waiting for looked really sharp! It has "5th generation" technology.. Looking forward to saturday so we can watch baseball, and I can get back to the Xbox 360......

Also, we finally received 2 calls from a repair service tuesday and wednesday...... I can not imagine how much longer this would be going on, if we still had the other tv..... I did like the Rca though...oh well..

Thank you again! ~Jason~

Silver Member

Post Number: 108
Jason,
Hearty congratulations!

Enjoy your Samsung. I sure enjoy mine.

US

Post Number: 4
Hello everone again!

Jason congradulations!! Sounds like your Best Buy superviser understands good customer relations and business practices!! Wish I could say that about others though. I hope the best with your new samsung!!

Since my last post i did get a ETA for my light engine part on Oct 3 for 3 weeks. Called on Oct 27 to check on statis of part , was told a new ETA of Dec 25 and that I should call RCA/Thomson about an exchange. In other words 2 months waiting for part and 2 more months before part MAY BE IN!! When will the madness END!!! Even if RCA will replace the TV who knows how long it will take to go through those hoops and hurdles. So I called RCA this morning and to my surprise no wait time!!! Was given new case number and anothter number to call, i believe customer relations dept., but they are only open during weekdays. Maybe there is still HOPE AFTER ALL!! But i will not hold my breath though!! I guess i'll find out monday.

MY TWO CENTS!!

After reading other post here in the past and seeing other's like me whom could not get the parts to fix their TV's and was offered buy backs and/or exchanges I began looking into other TV manufactures reliability and problems. It appears to me that RCA is not alone with the part shortage. I have came to the beleif that we "the consumers" are victims of the technology bug. In other words technology is increasing at such a rapid pace that there is not enough testing preformed to determine reliability and each new TV model has different parts. Therefore, this would explain a parts shortage because it can not be very economical to produce alot of parts for TV's with a short shelf life. This would also explain why in past history RCA products where so good because things where fairly simple and until the rapid technology boom, alot of parts were also universal. This would be the true cost of technology. All tv manufactures are using the latest technology to keep a hold in the new markets, but are sacrificing reliablity and part availability at the same time. What baffles me is how the manufactures can be very profitable if they have to replace or buyback their products instead of repairing them. How many times have you heard GM, Ford, and Toyota replacing or buying back ther vechiles??? Don't get me wrong I love the most current technology but if it is prone to tear up and can not be fixed it's worthless to me. If this continues I hope our goverment will step up and regulate this industry like they do others to force the industry to be prepaired to handle the problems that are occuring (FOR THE CONSUMER'S PROTECTION and CONFIDENCE). Although my overall faith in our goverment is fairly low, they occasionally do good things for their citizens. Like CONSUMER RIGHTS!!

Silver Member

Post Number: 109
Jeremy, my suggestion would be to get a refund from RCA and not a replacement set. Replacement sets have only a three month warranty and guess what? They replace the broken set with another RCA. Yeech! I had three replacement sets and everyone of them had parts problems. Get the $$$ and run to Samsung.

I think you are very correct with your analysis of technology. I fully suspect that consumers will have to adjust to the fact that todays tv's are basically throw aways after five years.

Parts availability, service people and repair costs are wanting for most every manufacturer. Basically, we should just 'rent' these sets for a period of time and then buy the newest technology available.

Oh, by the way. To get a check takes about 8 -10 weeks after they approve same. Of course, that assumes the person you talk with initially actually initiates the paperwork.

Bronze Member
Username: Nu2itall

Findlay, OH

Post Number: 38
Keep in mind that the people most likely to post here are the people experiencing problems. No real incentive for satisfied customers to search out a message board and vent about how happy they are. For the record, I've had my 61" RCA dlp for over 2 years now and not had a single problem. I bought a backup lamp early this year and I'm still waiting for the original to burn out. The unit is in my basement where it's always fairly cool, it's been plugged into a battery backup since day one and I use the lower intensity lamp setting. Once the set is turned on for the day it generally stays on until we go to bed at night. Obviously I'm a very satisfied customer and happy with my purchase.

Username: Desert_dweller

I agree. I've owned an 50" RCA DLP for almost 3 years and have experienced no substantive problems. (Knock on wood) The set still has the original bulb although I have a spare on my closet shelf. The DLP is on a large UPS to maintain the correct voltage, to isolate it from transient spikes, and to prevent a sudden shutdown if AC power fails. We turn it on and leave it running for at least a couple of hours before shutting it off. I am impressed with the picture quality and, especially, with the logic of the RCA menu. On the other hand, I'm empathetic to those who had problems with their sets and with RCA service.

Bronze Member
Username: Cheneyp

CT

Post Number: 24
My experiences have been the same as Len and Mark's with my 50" RCA DLP. Had it since Feb '05 with no issues whatsoever. I do not have it plugged into a UPS. I, too, have a backup bulb on the shelf as well as the peace of mind having purchased it at Costco. I can understand how Jeremy and Jumpback and others are frustrated by the red tape they are going through - can't imagine not having a TV for that long! I will say that getting a Samsung will not necessarily solve all of these issues. I have a friend who has gone through 3 in the last 2 years and is really pissed off at their "customer service." He finally got a plasma (working so far!) There are also numerous threads in this forum and AVSForum with Samsung problems (as well as other manufacturers) as well.

I think Jeremy's point on technology is right on what with the prices of these sets dropping so much so fast there are corners being cut in hardware quality and staffing of customer service centers!

US

Hello everyone again!!

Here is my latest update. I called Thomson last monday and everything seemed to be going great. Was told they will have to do the global part search and they would call me back in a few days. Friday morning I called them back because they have not called, and was told the search was never initiated (SURPRISE!!) However, the Rep. promises to do his best to rush things and on Tuesday morning I had conformation that part has been found and was given the number to call myself and verify that part is in-stock and being sent to my repair service. I called and was verified that they have my light engine. Could this be that my TV will be working soon and after nearly 4 months it will be fixed ( assuming the tv tech. correctly identified the problem). Only time will tell.

I agree totally with Len, the only reason I found this site was because I was searching for answers. Believe it or not, I'm not upset about the products mal-function but rather the Customer service's service and accountablity. I loved my 50" DLP and just wanted it fixed. For example my XBOX 360 went down after 6 months last week and since my tv has been working around 2% of the time it has not been used very much in the last 4 months, It came with a 90 day warrenty. I called xbox support and within 15 minutes I had an address to mail the xbox to, service request number and instructions. All i will have to pay was shipping to repair center ($8.10)and optional insurence and tracking for ($6.50) and they would cover the rest and gave me an ETA time of 8-12 days from the day that i sent it. NOW thats standing behind your product and customer satisfaction!!!!!

Jumpback, it went window shopping last weekend just in case i did recieve a buyback and the samsung's do look sweet. I would have to upgrade to the 60+" sammy 1080i to equal out my old 50"rca with side mounted speakers. Those side mounted speakers made my 50" look and feel larger and brought the picture out more to me. The picture quality and style is what sold me the 50" RCA even thought i have numerous other RCA products, and honestly if they would have had the newest model of my 50" RCA with the Toshiba light-engine instead of the Infocus L.E., i would not have ruled it out either if the picture was as good as my current 50". The sammy did have the best picture of all other makes that were present under 3000.00 dollars and better than most over 3000.00 in my opion. Actually the bank breaking sony was the only other one that impressed me other than the sammy's and i'm including all lcd's, dlp's and plasma. As the old saying goes "it's in the eyes of the beholder".

In short, as previosly stated, RCA (thomson) has been notorious for losing information or not following through with their work. Costing customers time and disapointment. I think it was jumpback that said something like "if it hasn't been so time consuming and aggrevating, it would be funny" in a past comment, and i feel the same way. I would not wish my mishaps on anyone and it's great to hear other's whom have had no problems at all. I'm just looking foward to the day when i can turn on my TV and it does what it was suppose to do.

Silver Member

Post Number: 110
Jeremy,
I realize I probably am the most jaundiced ex-RCA owner on this board. And, I feel, with great reason. Any reasonable observer to all my previous posts would have to agree.

Anyway, I hope your quest for a working RCA is granted. On one of my RCA's the tech thought it was the light engine. He put in a new one (after two months wait..so what else is new?)and the set worked for a half hour while the tech was watching it and I was back to square one. Then the diagnosed problem was "The Board". Whatever the heck that is. Of course, that was not available after one of RCA's infamous WORLD WIDE SEARCHES. A few months after that I received a replacement set.

Not trying to shake you up, but living with an RCA is like living with Brittany Spears. Good looking, but flawed.

Good luck. I am hoping for the best for you.

Username: Watyylxx

Hello everyone,
It is the first time to come here, but I find some people mentioned me.
I am selling DLP replacement lamp on ebay for RCA, Mitsubishi, LG.....
If you have any questions, you are welcome to mail to me directly. My mail is: scbmoon@yahoo.com.cn

My ID on ebay is: watyylxx.

I am glad to exchange info. as I know.
Thanks,
Charles

Username: Robertsmu

Post Number: 7
Hey All,
I can recommend Charles as a great ebay seller. I bought four bulbs from him at a very reasonable price and it was a perfect transaction. Got my RCA 163 back up and running (and I have three spare lamps in reserve!!)

Rob

US

Post Number: 6
Hello everyone again,

I am pleased to announce that my TV IS WORKING!!!
RCA (Thomson) called me Thursday (The first time during the 4 month saga) and told me that part would be delivered either that thursday or friday. On friday repair tech's called that morning and said my light-engine was in. Wanted to schedule an appointment for around noon and I dropped everything to be there and the final result is it fixed the problem. It is saturday night now and I've been wearing it out the past day to make sure it has been truely fixed and so far so good.

Thank's jumpback for your comments and information. I can say at this time I was Lucky i guess not to have had the same problems as you have been through, and I'm extremly sorry for anyone whom had went through the saga you had in the past. Though my fingers are still crossed because my warrenty will expire around 3 weeks from now, so hopely everything will work as it should. And if it does i'll need to go ahead and buy a reserve bulb or two. My confidence in RCA products has been restored, but the customer service does need a huge improvement. In any electronics there will always be some lemons, I just wished it woudn't take this long for the problems to be fixed.

Jumpback, I hope the best with your sammy and knowing what you have went through i can not blame you for feeling the way you do about RCA. I know i would if it had of been me.

Silver Member

Post Number: 111
Jeremy, Hey good news! Really glad for you. When The Beast is working it can provide an awesome picture and a lot of television satisfaction.

Good luck!

Username: Nimeesha

Anyone want to buy the DLP Lamp for the HD50LPW162. RCA sent it to me via the warranty. But I got another one from Best Buy too. Make me an offer. Nothing ridiculous please.

Username: Max_w

It's been interesting the last few months monitoring this forum. In October 2004 I purchased an HD50LPW162 at Best Buy. Within a few months it started having sound problems. After 5 visits from technicians from two repair shops failed to solve the problem and in fact created new ones, set started rebooting itself at random times. Four circuit boards later (including one that was DOA when the tech put it in and another that was worse than the one it replaced) I decided enough was enough and apparently so did RCA because they agreed to replace the set. They said they had no exact replacements and would I be willing to accept a 61-inch. After quickly measuring my entertainment center to make sure it'd fit I said fine, bring it on over.

So about two weeks later one of the techs calls and says they have my new set. That was in July 2005 and the unit is the HD61LPW165. Considering some of the horror stories I've read here I guess I've had good luck. So far it has performed well. Lately though it has developed a minor problem that shows up at random times and seldom lasts long. The brightness will flicker up and down as if I'm adjusting the contrast setting rapidly up and then back. Sometimes it's barely noticeable and at other times a nuisance. It never lasts very long and will sometimes not reappear for a couple of days.

I've no idea what is causing that but I figured maybe it was a sign the lamp was near failure (3200 hours) so I called Best Buy, which holds the extended warranty. Instead of shipping a new lamp they said a serviceman would have to bring it and install it but if I wanted to purchase one on my own as a spare they'd reimburse the cost when the time came to replace it. I'm a bit skeptical they'll really do that and would prefer they just send me another lamp. I called RCA, they have no lamps for it of course, and neither do either of the local repair shops. One told me they have a two-month backorder on that particular lamp. So I've turned to our friend Charles in China and have ordered a lamp from him just in case the lamp does fail. With a bit of luck that's the only problem I'll have with this thing for a while. It's been humming along for 17 months with fairly heavy usage so I'm knocking on wood.

My only previous contact with Best Buy on the extended warranty was regarding the remote control which stopped working three months ago. They mailed me a new one that arrived inside of a week and all is well.

Based on what I've read in this forum and my own issues with the 50-inch, I won't buy another RCA product. But that could change if the recent good luck some of you have had indicates management is reorganizing and getting the company back on track. Until they make reliable repair parts easily available and at a reasonable cost, and take care of their existing customers, they'll continue to lose ground. It'd be a shame too because I think the picture on my 61-inch equals or beats most of the new DLPs being sold today. The picture on the 50-inch was superb too. They have a good product, they just need to get the customer support and repair issues taken care of. Surely they've noticed fewer and fewer retailers are willing to sell their TVs. Where I come from that's called a CLUE. Let's hope RCA has gotten the hint and gets back on track.

Bronze Member
Username: Turbo15479

Post Number: 49
The RCA/Thompson DLP set are manufactured in China and I am told this is a big cause of their problems. The crt sets were being mae in China but the U.S. company that once built the tv's filed a lawsuit and won. But all that happened was the company was re-opened in Mexico under Chinese ownership. I saw a program on tv about the lawsuit and Walmart backed the Chinese but that is no surprise.

US

Hello everyone again!!

My DLP 50" lightengine is still working great but now I have a sound problem. At first I thought it might be my 5 year old rca 700 watt surround sound but after further inspection it is from my TV. I had a fiber optic running from my tv to surround sound to stop the delay in sound from picture from my sat receiver but after turning surround off the tv speakers also has this problem. The sound becomes distorted (like a high pitch) sometimes every few to several minutes. It does it about every 2 out of 3 days and it seems the longer the set is on the more frequently it occurs.

So I called rca again, given new case number and told to contact the repair man again. My warranty actually expired on dec 2 but they did not mention that to be a problem. Of course if they had of, I would have reminded them my set was down for around 4 months waiting to get lightengine part. I hope it isn't the same thing Max W had problems with or my hopes of a properly working tv may be over. We see when i get the tech back over here.

Username: Jagtech

Lethbridge, Alberta Canada

Is there a way to test the projection bulb, such as a resistance or continuity measurement? Does someone have a new (known good) bulb that could measure across the contacts with an ohmmeter and tell what resistance is, if any?

Silver Member
Username: Formerly_fx

Dallas, Tx

Post Number: 207
An ohmmeter would read zero if the bulb is good and infinite if bad.

xvxvxvx

Jeremy, is it sort of a tinny rattling sound? I've had that happen occasionally on both my Sceniums and never on any of my other TVs. If you'll send me a private message with an email address I can send you a small sound file in WAV format that captures my sound problem and compare it to yours to see if it's the same thing. It happens only rarely on my current Scenium and will go away if I turn the TV off, then back on. Sometimes it won't reappear for a month or so. After two years of dealing with this intermittent problem I still do not know if it is an RCA or a cable company issue.

US

Post Number: 8
Hello folks!!

Atleast those of us still in the RCA HEll or the others whom are looking down from heaven.

My TV died as of January 12 2007 (RIP).

SOund problem never fixed or even looked into.
My lamp blew Jan. 12 and not sure if some sort of short my have caused it related to the sound problems?? I turned off the TV at night and the next morning NOTHING!! I turned off the sound on the TV options to use only my surround sound and now I have a blank screen and no sound, therefore I can not be for sure if the lamp is my only major problem because i have no screen to turn the sound back on in tv menu, but i did run an audible feed from back of tv to my surround it did work.

Ordered a new lamp off ebay, it didn't work. It was advertised as a new RCA lamp and houseing. A True RCA Part. It was, the bulb looked new but when i installed same blinking lights and no picture. Pulled out my craftsmen tester and nothing from the bulb. Wires were good though but nothing from the bulb. In regards to the question about checking the continuity from DAVE, my tester reads the number 1 in the left part of the screen al1 the time and beeps and will give a number on the right side of the screen if the circuit is closed and will do nothing if circuit isn't complete.

Anyhow, called RCA, got the run around as normal. The 1st person I spoke with told me that my warrenty had expired and I would have to pay for the part. I explain my lightengine had failed and it took 4 months to find the part. My lamp blew in 13 months and if my lightengine had of worked properly the lamp would have blew in 9 months and I believe i am intitled to a replacement because for nearly 4 months the part was on backorder. Well it was on backorder several times anyway but when the time expired it was put on backorder 3 different times. And like i told them, it is funny to me when a part is on backorder for 4 months and no parts can be found but when my repairman called and told me the part was on backorder for 2 more months and I should call RCA for a buyback or replacement within 2 days the part appears when it was suppose to be on backorder for 2 more months?!?!?!?!? She said she would have to look up on the computer to see what could be done but her computer crashed and she would reboot and call me back in 10 minutes. 1 hour later, no call so I called back, new person, explained my story and she told me that they would supply the part and 80 labor, for me to call my repairman and schedule an appointment with the case number and a RCA team would be contacting the repairman. Called repairman, whom told me they would not come until they have something in writing from rca that they would pay for this. I told him they would be calling and he said he will call me as soon as they do. that was 10 days ago and no call from repairman or RCA.

I'm rolling up my sleeves and putting down my foot. I've had enough of this B.S. and come Monday when I call I will either speak to someone with authority and get this crap fixed or take serious action. I'm a calm, reasonable person but enough is enough. It's sad to say that you have to know someone to get things done right but my state pro temp senator is close freinds with my family and I will pull out all the stops. Lawyers, BBB, Bestbuy, whatever it takes to make things right!! And when the smoke clears I will Guarentee this is the last RCA purchase for me.

Sincerely,
One Pissed off Southern Boy!!!!!!!!

P.S. Look foward to hearing from you MAX.

Username: Lfstoke

My 50" RCA DLP TV has a strange problem. It flashes sporadically like a camera flashing. We have owned the TV about 2 years and replaced the bulb and had some fuse work done in April 2006. Sometimes the flashing is so bad you can't watch it, and other times it does not flash at all. Do you think we need to replace the lamp again? (DLP 260962) RCA support has been no help, and the TV repair shop does not have any ideas either (we have not taken it in to them yet). Also, the lamp has some fog on it. Could that be causing the sporadic flashing?

US

Called RCA Monday, told me repair order was in the process (I guess i'll wait a few more days and see).

Laura, when you say flashing, is the light of tv getting brighter and picture stays the same colors or does the colors flash, mainly lighter colors, and the colors of the picture somewhat change colors and a distortion of the picture itself.

I don't know about the fog on lamp, but i wouldn't think so if it doesn't flash all the time. But for your sake i hope the lamp is the problem.

It's like a flash of lightning cracks across the screen - the colors and picture underneath the lightning cracks seem ok, because as soon as the flash goes away the picture is fine again. So, at least your thought is that is may not be the lamp at all. Does anyone have any ideas? I have not seen anything similar to this on any of these postings. lucky me!

It sounds like a lamp problem.

When you say "fog" is the fog on the light element within the lamp or on the protective glass "lens" on the lamp?

The Fog appears to be on the protective glass "lens" on the lamp, not the bulb itself. Any ideas?

Sounds like a lamp degredation issue, though something else may be causing the lamp to arc (meaning just replacing the lamp may not be the fix and may cause the replacement to fail the same way).

So, it sounds like we should take it into the repair shop before we purchase a replacement lamp? We only have one RCA authorized shop around, and they repaired it several months ago, for a different problem. Great reliablity we are having with this product! :-( Our first RCA was still running strong after 20 years, when we gave it away. I am definitely not happy with this TV, but we need to keep going now, since we are beyond warranty. Any input is appreciated!

Silver Member

Post Number: 115
Laura, wish I could offer a suggestion to fix the problem with your RCA. You might be at the point of deciding if you want to live with this beast or buy another tv. With the present set your cheapest alternative is a new lamp which may or may not be the problem. That is usually a couple of hundred dollars. If it is a light engine or Board problem that could be a $1,000 problem. Plus you never know what the tech's charges will be before hand.

A new 50" hdtv can be bought for a thousand or less..no finance charges, new warranty etc etc.

Bite the bullet and go new!

Username: Wildboar

I have a HD50LPW175 the picture is to wide for the screen. Its leaving off names etc.. is there a way to adjust the width of the picture??
thanks

US

Post Number: 10
Bud,

I have the same TV. The easy fix would be pressing the Format button on remote. You may be in a zoom format and causing this problem. Also, if your like me you might have HD channels and regular channels. I have my regular channels set to (zoom) format to cover the entire screen however, HD channels should be in widescreen format already, so make sure the format is (normal) for those channel because (zoom) on HD channels will cause your problem.

Also note that if you have Satellite or Cable, that remote may have the same functions also. So check both remotes. I cann't remember for sure which remote I used (TV or Satellite), but once I change the format on a channel, it would recall that format for the channel whenever I returned to it.

I know of another thing that could cause this, so if above doesn't work let me know. Good Luck.

Bronze Member

US

Post Number: 11
Bud,

Correction

My regular channels may be in a flexwide format and not zoom, I would have checked but my TV is down (nothing new though). Also, I might have my format set from my Dish remote. Either or, both would work so press the format button until you find what you looking for, but if you have more than one remote with the format selection just make sure that all but one remote is set to normal.

I'll check this tonight & post the out come in the morning.. thanks..

Bronze Member

US

Post Number: 12
Hey Guys!!

I'm stumped with my tv again. I got RCA to fix the TV after hours of talking and several phone calls, but my repairman is waiting for a lamp to come in before he makes his visit.

My question for anyone is I think the lamp is shot but I have tried two replacements and no sucess. When I put in the new lamp and turn on, I hear the fans kick on but soon after it shuts down and nothing happens. Does anyone have any ideas other than bad lamps. Thanks!!!!!

That's where I'm at with my RCA 61LPW175. Its not the lamp, and not the ballast. I really wish I could find schematics for this set. Can anybody help?
Cheers!

Username: Tvman1

Real
Crappy
Apparatis

RCA

Jeremy,

I had the same problem and they ended up replacing the motor in the TV after they replaced the balast and lamp. Took for ever for them to recieve one..

Bronze Member

US

Post Number: 13
Dave,

(form your earlier post)
Talked to repairman about checking the continuity on our bulbs (lamps) and he said that because they are gas lamps, checking continuity does not tell if lamp is bad.

Chad,

I'm thinking your 100% correct!!!!!

Bud,

Thanks for Information, did you get the zoom problem fixed??

Thanks everyone!!!

I'm calling repairman to see what he thinks/knows about this!!!!

Jeremy,

Yes, I did. Set the Scientific Alantic control back to normal it was on stretch. But not all programs are HD even if your on the HD channel. Duh.. LOL

Jeremy,
Thanks for the tip on lamps. It seems these are indeed high voltage arc-type lamps, so no filament, as such. They generally have a few hundred volts applied to the terminals, and are fired (started) with a short duration high voltage arc from the ballast.

It sure would be nice to find schematics for these sets ???

I have the schematics somewhere...I bought the service manuals on ebay.

Let me look around.

Robert,

How can I get a copy of the schematic?? Be glad to send some $$ for ur time and shipping.
thanks,
Bud

Robert,
It would be great if you can find those schematics. I'll be happy to purchase them, or a copy, from you!- Dave

Bronze Member

I'll try to get an electronic version out to those who are interested.

Username: Kak

Richardson, TX

Thanks to all for the information. I have an HDLP50W151 RCA Scenium and have had the terrible whining/grinding noise and based on all the posts, ordered the color wheel. It arrived this morning and took 30 minutes to replace and I am happy again. It is soooo quiet.
The only problem I have left is the same as one or two others have had and that is the triangular dark spot in the upper left hand corner of the screen. I know someone said they had this problem and it was a hairline crack in a lens. Has anyone done a repair of this problem? If so, how?

Username: Haguc

Syracuse, In Usa

Ok, I currently have a hd50lpw175 set that just ran out of warranty. This is a replacement set that I received about 7 months ago to replace a defective hd50lpw42 (I think that was it anyway). Anyway, I have had some problems with the new set and did have a service call before the warranty ran out. Long story short after replacing the light engine they also think it needs to have the bulb replaced. Have been waiting on that for about a month and now they are offering me the m50wh185 as a replacement set? Is this as good or better then the hd50lpw175? I like the current set that I have, the picture is good and the bulbs (if you can get them) aren't too expensive. Any idea on the price of the bulb or the dependability of this unit?

Another question: Is RCA supposed to be coming out with a 50" LCD or a 1080p dlp any time soon? Would be nice to know of something different on the horizon. Thanks for the help.

Silver Member

Post Number: 117
Adam, you ask about the 'DEPENDABILITY' of an RCA. Ha! Ha! Ha! I think the snow has frozen your brain.

I had four RCA sets...three were replacements due to part problems etc. You are going to go on to your third set. I think this answers your dependability question.

Seriously, take the new set OR ask for your money back and buy another product. That is what I finally did.

Syracuse, In Usa

Yeah.. I don't expect their quality to just skyrocket, but I was hoping that the 185 would be better. Do the 61" and 50" tv's use the same bulbs and dlp engines?

Jumpback, did they give you back your full buy price or how did they come up with a dollar amount to give you for your set? Thanks for the help.

Silver Member

Post Number: 118
Adam,They offered to give me my full money back if I could present them with a receipt. Of course, I was on my FOURTH replacement set and did not have the original receipt from the first set.

They had some magic formula that came up with $1800 which was fine by me. I just wanted to be done with RCA... period end of story. I couldnt take it anymore. I figured during my four year history with their tv's, about 30-40% of the time my tv was laid up waiting for parts and repairs. I wouldnt even guess at how many hours on the phone I put in or how many people I talked to. It was staggering.

If you have your receipt, I would assume they would just give you your money back. It took about 6 weeks to get the check. Word of warning. The check comes in a blank envelope with no RCA or Thomson on it. It could very easily be tossed before opening as it doesnt look like a check would be in it. Also, when the check came their was no note or letter. Just a check with another name altogether on it. I just assumed it was from RCA since it was the amount we agreed upon and who else would be sending me $1800.

I went out and bought a 61" Samsung and it already has lasted longer than any of the four RCA sets, so my faith has been restored.

Good luck in your quest.

Syracuse, In Usa

Does your Samsung have any audio lag? I have heard from various people that many of the DLP's have substantial audio lag. I love the picture of the RCA, maybe I will give them one more chance. Although this will be my third set, I never had either of mine fully down, just weird intermitten problems. I am waiting a call back from RCA right now, maybe I will ask them what they will give me for a buy out, has been a while since I have shopped and maybe there would be one that would look good. I currently have my tv, would stink if they wanted to take the tv before I had that check, I am fine with trading it straight up and not being without my set. We'll see how it goes I suppose.

Silver Member

Post Number: 119
No problems with the Samsung on any score. Picture is great (as was the RCA).
They did take the tv back (they pay about $250 to the service people to pick it up and send it back as I remember. You get a receipt for it.

Username: Mibugnu

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!

To everyone who took the time to post on this forum. I know you have saved me a boat load of un-needed frustration and more importantly, jail time. Yesterday I purchased a RCA M50WH72S DLP from Walmart. "Special Buy", which was a good deal ($600). It was a return from a customer saying they bought it less then 6 months ago, no receipt, said it stopped working, so the manager gave the refund ($1300). Come to find out the previous customer lied. Walmart stopped selling this model 2 years ago. (the customer still had the original box, strofoam, and the stand was unopened. Who keeps a box the size of a small car for 2 years???)The manager was in deep water (so I was told by the electronics dept employee). Once the TV was back in electronics they plugged it in and turned it on. It worked! Tested it with a DVD player, still worked. So they put it out on the floor to sell, and there I was. I had them "re-test" it while I was present, it powered on, I saw a picture, I heard noise. SOLD! They told me they would give me a money back, 90 day warranty if for any reason I didn't like it, and RCA would still give a 1 year warranty after that. I figured worst case senario I would be out $10 in gas if I had to bring it back.
Money well spent on gas!
I brought the TV home, plugged everything in, powered it up, and that's when I heard it. The nice humming coming from the motor/fan/wheel thing. Not too bad, just enough to be annoying. If the volume is up on the TV, you can't hear it, but if there isn't any background noise in what you are watching, there it is.
Being the self sufficient/handy man kind of person I am I hit the internet to find out what it was and how much to fix it. And I found this site.
It will be loaded up in the truck tomorrow and back on it's way to Walmart. Knowing how major retailers deal with returned products (pallet and ship to liquiadation houses for pennies on the dollar) I may try to negotiate a better price prior to unloading it. After reading this forum I know not to get my hopes up for any RCA product, but I think if I can get the price down to the cost of a normal 25" TV, $200 or so, I may be ahead of the game. If it craps the bed in a couple months, who cares.
Thanks again to all. I don't think I would have been so patient with RCA as you have. Good luck!

Silver Member

Post Number: 120
Rent a tv...good way to look at it.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
Too all interested, I have found the service cd for the RCA DLP television series.

Username: Jtherron

I'll apologize for the length of this post ahead of time, but I hope you all find my RCA service story and inquiry as aggravating and somewhat silly as I have.

I have an RCA HD50LPW175 that I bought in July of last year, and the picture went out the first week of January. I had read some reviews before purchasing the TV, and have actually (shock!) had good experience with RCA products in the past. This time, however, has not been so hot. The warranty center processed my claim with no problems, and the lady informed me (not in English, but in a language that I assume she thought was English) that my bulb would arrive at my home within 7 days. Wonderful!

Well, a couple of weeks passed and I finally decided that it was just too late for any shipping errors or any other excuse for the bulb to be so late in arriving. I called and the warranty center said that the order had been processed, and that I needed to hurry up and send my original bulb back so that I would not be charged the $350 that was being held on my credit card. I informed her that I had not yet received the bulb and would like a tracking number or some sort of proof that the bulb had in fact been sent. She said that they did not have this information and gave me the 800 number for the parts dept. I called them and was told I would need the order number, that no orders or shipments could be looked up by name or address (must already by using Vista for that kind of technology). I called Warranty back and got the number, and called Parts to inquire. I was told that my bulb was not in stock, backordered, and there was no ETA for availability. I asked the associate's personal opinion and was told that she thinks it will be at least 3 months before any bulbs come in, and that they would be given to the prior registered orders, 'first-come first-served' style. I was also informed that there were alot of people on the list, and I probably wouldn't make the first cut.

Feeling as dismayed as a kid chosen last for kickball, I called Warranty back and asked if they could schedule a local service center who had the bulb in stock to come to my house. I was told that they have no idea who has what in stock and I could call myself if I wanted that information. However, I would then have to call RCA back and arrange the appointment through them. My closest service center they could find was 65 miles away.

I asked the question: "If I call the center, confirm inventory of the bulb, and call RCA to make the appointment... can I just go pick the bulb up, drop off the bad one, and replace it myself, letting the service center handle the warranty return?" I was then told that I would be responsible for all the service charges, but if I arranged to have the service center come to my home, that RCA would pay for the bulb and labor, but not any service charges nor the 'per-mile' fee that I would also be charged. Either way, I was told that I had to pay money to get my 6-month old TV repaired... under warranty.

I have the patience of a saint and am very kind on the phone and in-person, but I let the lady know that I am very disappointed with the way RCA is handling the issue, and was there a customer relations or some other number I could call to discuss this further as more of a business/service matter and not so much a warranty issue. She said she had no such information and her supervisor was not available. I inquired about a replacement unit or a buy-back of my unit. She told me, in a scolding tone, that under no circumstances does RCA do either of these things, and regarded my suggestion as blasphemous.

I went on to inquire, " I have been reading some reviews of my RCA TV and some other similiar models that are having the same sort of problems with bulbs and backorders and warranty service, and I'm worried that the problem might just not be the bulb. Suppose that in 3 months I get the replacement bulb, I install it, and the problem turns out to be the 'board', or the bulb assembly, or anything else. What if my unit's warranty runs out by the time I get a bulb for replacement. She then told me (and I'm still dumbfounded) that any repairs or service to be done on my unit after 1 year from the purchase date are my responsibility and RCA basically washes their hands of me at that point. I told her that this didn't make sense... if my unit sits for 4 months inoperable, unable to be tested because I am waiting on service from RCA, I assume my warranty should be extended the same length of time!

At this point, I believe the lady was very close to hanging up on me. She made the noises of a very aggravated animal, sighs and such, and repeated herself again that RCA would not be responsible for service on my unit... blah blah blah... regardless of the reason. I informed her that I knew it was not her place to make such decisions and she probably doesn't get paid nearly enough or is trained well enough to deal with people who are dealing with extremely crappy products and service. She thanked me for my patience and wished me a good day.

Where do I go from here? I have read the posts about replacement units and buy-backs but I have no contact info or a way to go about those options. I would also be very interested in the service CD and manuals for you guys who have them. I hope this forum becomes an educational resource and evangelical bulletin board for those people doing research before they buy an expensive product. Thanks to everyone out here who posts, and I hope to be able to contribute more to this story!

Silver Member

Post Number: 121
Ah, my naive, neophyte friend. Welcome to the wonderful world of RCA. Your pain has just begun. You have only been without your tv for a few weeks. When it turns into months and months then you will know in extreme detail what pain in the ^&(&%$$#^ it really is to deal with RCA.

I threw away all my RCA information on supervisors names, extentions, wholesalers of parts that I accumulated during my four years of torture with RCA and four of their TV's so I cant help you there.

However, I would check out ebay and any number of wholesale houses and see if your bulb is in stock anywhere. Dont accept that they 'carry' the bulb. I found out the hard way that 'carry' and 'in stock' is not the same thing.

Why dont you just call the service center that services RCA, see if they have the lamp , and bring your television to them. Have the service center call for authorization to replace the lamp.The set isnt that big not to do that.

And then hope that the lamp is indeed the problem.

The problem, of course, is that retail service people do not carry lamps. Why, you ask? Because their are hundreds of lamps and at $250 per lamp they cannot stock them. So, they too have to work thru wholesalers which is why I mentioned you should do some leg work in this department just to make sure that there are in fact lamps out there.

I had a 61" 175 model and there were no lamps anywhere. And that included an RCA ridiculous "World Wide Search" as they called it. That is when they replaced my television with a newer model. My set was out of warranty and I was willing to pay for the lamp but had to scream at them that it was outrageous that they could manufacture a television and not have a lamp for it 14 months after purchase.

Hope this works out for you. Keep us posted on your progress.

Silver Member

Post Number: 122
Josh, it is me again. I think you are probably a ways off to be favored with a buyback or new tv. An authorized RCA guy has to look at it and make a determination of what the problem is. Ie, lamp, board, light engine and all that. Then depending on the diagnosis and parts availability will a buy back or new tv be in the cards.

If you do reach that point and the customer relations people that you call on the 800 number is still in Toronto you might ask to speak with Vince who was the manager at the time and was the person who finally got the ball rolling for me.

Bronze Member

US

Post Number: 14
Hello everyone again,

Sorry i've been away for a while but for some reason my email has been putting the replys in the spam folder????

Josh, I'm am exactly where you are at. I have a HD50lpw175yx1. Had light engine replaced after 4 months of waiting. If you read my forums above you can find all details. As of now, I called and called RCA until finally they agreed to fix the TV and pay up to 80 dollars labor(after threaten calling BBB, state representatives, etc.) That was in Mid Jan and it wasn't until Feb 14 until repairman stoped by.

I had purchased 2 lamps off ebay and they didn't fix the problem. By the way, in mid jan they had the lamps in stock. I think they are giving you the RCA run-a-round!!!!

Repairman said he didn't know for sure what is wrong with mine yet, because different tv fire differently and it could be the lamp ballast, colorwheel etc. On wednesday, RCA tech support were not in because of weather and he said he would call me back when he found out something. Haven't heard from him yet!!!

My warrenty expired on dec 3 2006. I was without a TV from late June until mid November. I've been doing research about warrenties and they should extend the warrenty while you are waiting for parts but it does vary from state-to-state. I've backed off after they agreed to pay for parts and some labor but if this thing doesn't get resolved soon, i'm pulling the trigger. I've done the steps recommend by law, like try and work it out with manufactor before filling a lawsuite but it has not been successful. If you and other's are interested in a classaction law suite that could be a answer. If i get no response by the end of next week i'm getting a lawyer. They have LIED to me for the last time.

Like you I asked for a supervisor and all they would give me is an address to write with my complaints.

Good luck and keep us posted!!!

Bronze Member

US

Post Number: 15
Josh,

Try 1-866-465-7157 for customer relation's dept, I believe. Also, like I said before, our models are the same with the same problems, I have just found out that there is an engineering flaw with these models. The lamp is too close to the color wheel in the light-engine and causing wires to fry. They told me that it isn't the lamp and will have to replace my light-engine again!!!! They want to also change the lamp position to stop this problem according to my repairman (sounds like trouble to me).

I'm working for a buyback now. I guess I'll wait a little longer and see how it goes (more than likely like a terd in a punch bowl!!) Also, call RCA back and ask to search for a closer repairman. I had to call 4 times to find one myself by naming towns within 30 miles or so. Luck to you!!!!

Jumpback, How's the SAMMY!! I've done imagined what one will look like on my stand. You know, a tv that will turn on (lol).

Silver Member

Post Number: 123
Jeremy, Well so far so good with the Sammy. But, despite working flawlessly since I have owned it I still have the RCA heebeejeebies every time I hit the 'on' button. I also jump out of my chair and hold my breath when the tv goes blank. I always think back to my wild, wonderful RCA days. Fortunately, the occasional blank screens are courtesy of Direct tv and their lost satellites signals.

I know how punchy you get when you have a non working tv for months on end staring back at you. I spend MONTHS AND MONTHS watching tv in our bedroom waiting for an RCA fix. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!

Username: Rcaidiot

Hi,

I too, was dumb enough to purchase an RCA HDTV - HD50LPW175. Thought I would save a few bucks over the Toshiba and Sumsung I was comparing it to.

Unfortunately, I have now become a victim of RCA's terrible customer service. I was lucky enough to stumble upon this forum, and because of your posts, I feel like I have an advantage that I would not have had otherwise. So thanks in advance.

I purchased my set from Bestbuy in June and back on Jan 22, I tried to turn it and got the dreaded blinking panel error. After reading the manual I felt confident that it was the bulb, so I called Bestbuy to see if I should handle through them or through RCA. The told me to go through the manufacturer, so I did.

My fist call consisted of poor troubleshooting and a determination that the bulb needed to be replaced. I was told to send the old bulb back, and upon receipt, they would send me a replacement. I was not going to have any of that, I demanded they ship immediately. The said they would if I gave a credit card (that would not be charged). A couple of days later I discovered that the card was charged so I had to jump through hoops to get my card credited. I had to provide fax proof of the charge and fax proof of delivery of the old bulb I sent to them (I am sparing the details to keep this as short as possible).

After a few days I called to check the status of the bulb and was told it was in ship pending and should ship 7-10 days. I called every few days and was told the same thing until I got fed up with that answer and started demanding to speak to supervisors or someone who could actually help me.

After 4 weeks, I finally was told by the warranty dept (I think) that the bulb was on backorder. Here is where your posts really started helping. I demanded a buyback and was directed to consumer relations. They did a global search and when the part could not be found, I was assigned a resolution owner and was told I would get a call back in 3-5 days (sound familair?).

I called back today because, of course, I did not get called and I was told that they would replace it with a newer model. What, no more fighting? I was prepared for long, drawn out fight, but to my amazement, they offered me an exchange. I would have to go to a "nearby" service center to complete the exchange, so this is far from a done deal, but it sounds promising.

Now, for my dilema. My goal is to get them to buy it back, and go get a better brand and possibly an LCD. I am so fearfull that I will have to go through this mess in another 6-9 months and have them throw the "warranty expired" card in my face. After reading the posts, it sounds like I have had a short wait and fairly good response, but I am DONE with RCA if I have anything to say about it.

So, do you think I should take the exchange , or fight for a buyback?

Believe it or not this was the short version of my sory. I called about 6 different RCA 800 numbers for a total of about 20 calls over 5 weeks.

Thanks for all you help and I look foward to any responses.

RCA idiot

Bronze Member

US

Post Number: 16
TAKE THE MONEY AND RUN!!!!

I too have a HD50LPW175 P.O.S. with 6 months of not working!! A new one could work fine?!?!?!? But I would not risk it. My 2 Cents.

Silver Member

Post Number: 124
Isn't it incredible that they can manufacture a new set and not have the parts for it? Especially a lamp which is guaranteed to wear out.

I would definately bring up the 'Buy Back' scenario. You need to get off the RCA bandwagon. From my experience it never ends. As mentioned before, I believe I am the world's record holder for dealing with RCA products/service...Four Freakin' years!

If you can get your money back you could wash your hands of them.

Jump

ps Just to let you all know this situation is not just common with RCA and televisions.

My wife purchased a counter top oven from Haier for about $400. After 13 months it stopped working. Called in an authorized Haier repairman and he said, "Oh, this could be a problem". Why I asked. He tells me Haier is infamous for not having parts available. Oh, great!!

The part that was broke was a small electronic gizmo that burned out and probably was a $2.00 item. In my dealings with Haier I learned they only make 11 parts for this oven. Mostly things like doors, and handles and things that really dont make and oven actually work.

Well, thanks to my RCA experience with dealing with dolts I finally, after weeks of calling and talking to 10 different people, have gotten them to agree to replace the oven even though it was one month out of warranty.

They did extract $65.00 from me so I assume that is what the oven costs to manufacture.

Bronze Member

US

Post Number: 17
Brad, Josh, and all others,

Here is some information that may help you. Take a hard }}look at (1) and (4) below.

TITLE 15 > CHAPTER 50 > 2304 Prev | Next

2304. Federal minimum standards for warranties

(a) Remedies under written warranty; duration of implied warranty; exclusion or limitation on consequential damages for breach of written or implied warranty; election of refund or replacement
In order for a warrantor warranting a consumer product by means of a written warranty to meet the Federal minimum standards for warranty--

(1) such warrantor must as a minimum remedy such consumer product within a reasonable time and without charge, in the case of a defect, malfunction, or failure to conform with such written warranty;

(2) notwithstanding section 2308 (b) of this title, such warrantor may not impose any limitation on the duration of any implied warranty on the product;

(3) such warrantor may not exclude or limit consequential damages for breach of any written or implied warranty on such product, unless such exclusion or limitation conspicuously appears on the face of the warranty; and

(4) if the product (or a component part thereof) contains a defect or malfunction after a reasonable number of attempts by the warrantor to remedy defects or malfunctions in such product, such warrantor must permit the consumer to elect either a refund for, or replacement without charge of, such product or part (as the case may be). The Commission may by rule specify for purposes of this paragraph, what constitutes a reasonable number of attempts to remedy particular kinds of defects or malfunctions under different circumstances. If the warrantor replaces a component part of a consumer product, such replacement shall include installing the part in the product without charge.

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/html/uscode15/usc_sec_15_00002304----000-.html

-------------------------------------------------
Warranty
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In commercial and consumer transactions, a warranty is an obligation that an article or service sold is as factually stated or legally implied by the seller, and that often provides for a specific remedy such as repair or replacement in the event the article or service fails to meet the warranty. A breach of warranty occurs when the promise is broken, i.e., a product is defective or not as should be expected by a reasonable buyer.

Hi everyone,
I've contacted once more this last week, but unfortunately haven't had time to argue (or wait) on the phone for any period of time due to being very busy at my job. (By the way, I work for Quantegy - for any of you pro audio/video buffs out there- and today was the last day to submit orders for magnetic tape products that we are discontinuing... let me know if anyone on this forum needs anything!). In any case, I plan on calling and dedicating some time to this issue tomorrow.

Jeremy, thanks for the research on warranty legalese! That's invaluable and I'm sure will prove to be great support to all of us (and future unsuspecting consumers) when dealing with warranty issues as exasperating as ours. I will post an update as soon as I have some sort of reply or information from RCA. Hope everyone is having a good week!

Hi,

I thought I would update you on my situation. Since my only problem was that the bulb burned out, I felt like my only option was to take the exchange for a newer model (M50WH185) - sounds fair, does'nt it?

Now, this was not an easy decision. I have done a lot of research and made many phone calls before I decided this, very skittishly I might add. My biggest concern was the warranty. I purchased the 4 yr service plan through Bestbuy so that I would be covered and have peace of mind, but I was now staring at only a 3 month warranty in the face. I was happy to find out that Bestbuy will refund me a pro-rated amount of the service plan. So I can take that money and purchase an extended warranty through RCA. An RCA extended warranty does not cover a replacement bulb however and Bestbuy's did (ya think RCA knows that their bulbs have a short lifespan?).

I did ask for a buyback, but of course I was denied. If I had gone through multiple repair attempts without resolution, then I would have had a better case and would have pushed harder. But for a bulb, I cant really complain about their exchange offer.

Hey, I only have to wait 3-4 weeks for the replacement to arrive at a nearby service center(I can only pray that it only takes 3-4 weeks). I will also pray that the new TV has a long, reliable life and I dont have to call RCA/Thomson again, but who am I kidding!

I'm counting down the days until I can enjoy HD once again - my DVR is full of shows waiting to be watched!

RCA idiot

Username: Desert_dweller

Don't despair. Despite the awful experiences of others in this forum, my 50-in RCA DLP has been flawless. We have almost three years on the original bulb. The picture is still superb. (Yes I own a spare bulb as insurance)

Our success could be luck OR it could be the large APC UPS unit that isolates this DLP from external power. All peripheral equipment (DVD and VCR) is also plugged into it.

This DLP is essential a computer and, hence, is vulnerable to voltage spikes and variations that can damage it. Our home is exposed to a lot of these.

Good luck!

Bronze Member

US

Post Number: 18
Mark,

I'm not suggesting all RCA products are junk. However, I noticed you said your 50" is almost 3 years old and our's are a little over a year and under. The models are not the same. Also, since I paid over 2k for my TV, I also have it protected. I can safely say that the over whelming majority here whom had to deal with RCA customer service will agree that it stinks at best.

There are lemons in everthing made but the differnce in the story is how the manufactor deals with the problemed products. Not having parts and giving their customers the run-a-round is not good service regardless where you are from. I have several RCA products today that I couldn't ask for a better product, like I said in an earlier post, I loved my RCA TV when it worked. However, waiting for a part for over 3 months, being lied too more times than I can count, and having the TV not working at all for half a year tells me that something is very wrong with this picture. Also, did you notice that most of the problems in the last few months are occuring to the same 50" model!!

I personally lost 1/3 of my warrenty waiting to get 1 problem fixed only to have more problems occur afterwards including the replacement part lasting only 62 days (which happens to be the most expensive part). When I bought my TV from BestBuy, they had only 2 sets like mine and when I returned several months later, the other set was for sale as an opened Item and the sales person told me it had repaired 3 times. I was stupid not knowing I could have returned mine within the 30 days after purchase when mine started giving problems after 3 weeks (I learned the hard way).

I am happy to see when others has had good luck with their RCA TV's. But I also wonder why the largest electronic retailers where I live no longer carry RCA DLP sets??? Actually, the only RCA models they have is the floor model 52" set like at walmart and a few 30" sets and smaller!!

"If it looks, acts and smells like a terd, it is a terd"

Bronze Member

US

Post Number: 19
Hey RCA Idiot,

Wish I had used that user namae (lol)!!!! Great to hear that RCA actually done something for a change. (Could they have turned over a new leaf??) Every time I enquired about my part order, RCA gave me the run-a-round by telling me to contact the repairman, whom was waiting to hear from RCA!! (I'll name this the RCA Cycle of Misdirection).

Congrats on the victory!!! Reading your story makes me feel like a 3 legged dog named LUCKY!! I guess I'm lucky in that way. However, I did learn alot from this experience. Mostly not to be calm, patient, and expect that RCA cares about fixing the problems in a reasonable amount of time for their customers unless the customers complains enough. That is where I failed the first time, just sitting back and expecting everything to work out right. Lession learned!!

Maybe this new model will be a great one!! I believe I read that they teamed up with Toshiba with the light-engine on the new models. Maybe parts will be actually available since more than 1 or 2 tv's will actually use the same parts.

Good Luck!!!!

Silver Member

Post Number: 125
Ah, Jeremy my friend, you have hit the nail on the head! Not many stores even carry RCA's anymore. I live in the Dallas area and have found this to be so. I would think the retailers and the warranty companies they use have had it with the reliabilty of these sets.

During one (of my many) visits to large retailers, while my RCA's were waiting month after month for parts, I struck up a conversation with a guy in the tv dept. It so happened that he was a DLP rep from TX Instruments. I got onto the subject of reliability with DLP's and he basically choked on a bone when I said I had an RCA. Maybe he was anti-Frog, but he said when the French bought out RCA the company went to &^*%*.

He told me the next time go with Samsung or Mitsu. Period. End of story.

Those folks who kind of poo poo the woes of owners who go through service purgatory dont know the real world of....calling RCA a million times, telling your story over and over to new reps on the other end of the line, getting lied to, RCA losing (or not entering information on their computers), the wait time on hold which can run up to over an hour, the hoping and waiting for months on end to get a part only to be told no parts are available...and probably never were.

Geez, I get so wound up over this fool company and their crapola products.....

Username: Lfoolio

Hi all!
I have been following this thread since my TV broke around the first of January 2007. I have the HD50LP62A model. My lamp blew up. I was able to remove it and send it to Thomson. They lied and lied about when the lamp would be available. Well my warranty expires the end of this month. They have some how found a replacement lamp for me. It shipped on Friday and should arrive sometime this week. I have the tracking number. I sure hope the lamp works. I don't want my warranty to run out with my TV still broke.

Well hello again everyone!

With no notice, no phone call, nothing... my new DLP lamp showed up on my doorstep today. It was shipped FedEx Priority Overnight service, so at least they aren't skimping on shipping. I installed the bulb and got everything put back together ok... and still no TV. The little lights on the front just keep blinking. So, the problem obviously isn't with the lamp. I just called, and the RCA rep told me that I would probably need to take my TV to the closest RCA tech shop (over 60 miles away) and that I can have in-home service if I want to pay the fee plus the additional per-mile fees for being out of the area. This is ridiculous.

On another note: As I was looking at the back of my TV, I noticed a small red light on the inside shining from near the edge of the circuit board. It's on the left side if you are looking at the TV from the rear. Has anyone else noticed this? I'm not sure if it shines all the time or is indicating a problem. (BTW, I have a HD50LPW175) Anyways, I'll keep everyone updated on my progress. Viva la RCA!

Bronze Member

US

Post Number: 20
Josh,

It's the light-engine, so they tell me. I bought 2 replacement lamps and still have the flashing blue lights and no picture. The same part I had replaced in November after over 3 month waiting on the part. It lasted 62-64 days after replaced. I'm exactly where you are since Jan 12, 2007. When you turn on the TV, do you hear the fans kick on for about a second then kick off?? That's what mine does.

P.S. Although RCA Customer Support denied that there is a service bulletin, my repairman man told me the RCA Tech Line told him their was a Service bulletin on our tv and that they wanted the repairman to re position the lamp 180 degrees because the heat from lamp has burned/ruined the wires in other sets. This could be what is making the light-engine to fail?? I brought this up to the service department in order for a buy back on grounds of a engineering flaw, however they told me no such bulletin exist and told me to get a name of tech rep, a case number, and a copy of the bulletin from my service man and they would consider a buyback. I called the serviceman and was told that they (Tech Line)do not give a name or case number, nor did they send him a hardcopy of the bulletins. Here again goes the RCA run-a-round!!

Username: Mac1353535

USA

power supply capacitors are bad.
please have them checked,
RCA TV Tech

Well, I thought, after checking the lamp and lamp ballast, that power supply issues might be causing this malady. After all, the power supply is actually powered up 24/7, even when the set is turned off. So I pulled the power supply, and checked all the output voltages; all were within spec, and no excessive ac ripple on any d.c. supply lines. Have you actually experienced capacitor failure in this chassis? I'd like to hear from anyone who has actually discovered what "really" causes this problem of blinking front panel lights, and no pix.

Username: Cheryl360

Okay - I'm new at this. My RCA HD61LPW42 won't turn on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I've had it a little over 2 years!

USA

look for swelled 1000/35V caps on P/S board.
acts just like a bad lamp...

also anyone needs 265866 check out www.260962.com

Frank

Username: Cheryl360

Nevermind - I unplugged everything and replugged, and all is well now. Thanks.

Bronze Member

US

Post Number: 21
Frank,

Are you a RCA TV Tech??

That does sound plausible in my situation since the TV turns on the cooling fans and when the lamp tries to fire and doesn't have the juice, then it will shutdown the process. What makes the power supply capacitors go bad?? A power surge?? I do have the TV protected (Keep in mind I have a RCA surge protecter, and that itself could be the problem!!) However, what I know about TV's is from my problems, reading this forum, and what my repairman tells me. RCA Tech line said I need a new light-engine, however, I begining to think my repairman is a puppet and doesn't know much about TV repair himself. If I was a certified repairman and I was going out to check a TV unfamiliar to me I think I would bring a service manual for the set with me!!! Maybe that's me though?? All he did was turn the set on, made notes as to what it done or didn't do, and tried to call RCA Tech Line. 10 days later I'm told I need a new Light-engine and a 180 degree re-position of lamp. Go figure.

Dave,

Did you get those schematics from robert?? I missed the boat when he said he would get those to any interested. If you have them and don't care to share I would greatly appreciate it!!

USA

Yes I am a tech.
I have seen bad light engines for sure. but lately I seen several RCA DLP's act like a bad lamp with the blinking and all That ended up being the power supply caps.
Frank

Bronze Member

Jeremy, I got a set of schematics on ebay, finally. Looks pretty complete, but I haven't had a chance to do anything as yet. When I have more time I'll delve into the light engine and see what makes it tick (or fail). Maybe I'll get lucky, and find Frank's remedy of a power supply cap. Electrolytic capacitors have a finite life, so after about 10000 hours, some can start to fail.
Its become a challenge for me, now!

All,

I also recieved a lamp overnighted from FedEx yesterday - remember, they did not have the lamp and offered me an exchange. The exchange process is currently underway, so I'm confused how I also got a lamp?

I installed the lamp and still the same blinking light problem, so I am going to try to stay on the exchange route. I'm afraid, they will now want to include me in their repair circus, but I think my best hope is to get the new model. It sounds like the HD50LPW175 has some flaws that I want no part of.

I'll keep you updated.

RCAidiot

Silver Member

Post Number: 126
RCA Idiot...remember the replacement set is only warranteed for three months. Which goes to show just how much faith they have in their sets.

I tried to purchase an extended warranty from RCA, but the only thing they will offer is a warranty on the picture tube..nothing else. Of course, when I mentioned this to the RCA repairman he said the tube itself hardly ever wears out, but the rest of the set like the lamps, light engines, Boards and the 1000 other teeny, tiny electronic stuff are usually the culprits.

In my experience, if it is not the lamp or the light engine you are basically screwed. Why? (1) No one knows how to fix anything else..nor do they want to (2) No one carries the parts (3) The Circus could last for months on end (4) It's more cost effective to buy a new tv

If you get a three years out of a set and the "Repair Circus" (I love that term, RCA Idiot) is about to begin you are far better to just junk the set and get a new one.

USA

I can't believe some of the stuff I read on here. You guys must be in areas where there are NO service centers because these RCA dlp are not that much trouble. the only issue I have seen is having to wait a month on a part. (which happens to many manufactors today)
1) NO company will warranty an exchange set longer than 90 days. are you kidding?
2) there are no picture tubes in DLP tv someone has given you false info on that one.
3) there are only about 5 basic parts to your DLP TV (lamp, light engine, ballast, power supply board, Digital board). how hard can any problem be to isolate???? especially under warranty where cost is not an issue.
4) you should be thankful you have a company that will help you at all.. just try this with a mitsubishi, sony, samsung on a set the 2-3 years old.. you and your checkbook will be the only ones starring in the "repair circus"....
5) once again check the power supply caps !

Frank

Frank, I have no doubt you're a good tech but come on now, waiting a MONTH for a part? If there are only 5 basic parts in our RCA DLP's, then why don't the repair shops already have those parts on hand?

If my 13 inch TV needs that kind of waiting period for a repair part it's no big deal, but our DLP's are our main TV's and to force a customer to wait that long for a part (or much longer judging by the posts here) simply because RCA won't stock their authorized repair centers with the parts beforehand, is unthinkable. That kind of policy may be okay with the technicians but it certainly screws the customer.

Imagine if your car stops running and your mechanic says he'll be happy to fix it as soon as Ford sends him the part..... in a month. Nice huh?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not bashing you, it's just that I don't understand why RCA has no problem with forcing customers to wait so long for repair parts. My repair guy says his shop has repair parts for most DLP's on hand, all except RCA that is, and it's due to RCA policies. He's also said that he'd never own an RCA himself.

One thing I do appreciate is you sharing your expertise with us. Regarding your point #5, assume I have the ability to check and diagnose the power supply caps and I find one is bad. What next? Can I replace it myself or do I have to order the whole component board?

And on to another subject. My 61 inch DLP is still humming along fine, the original bulb is at 4000 hours. Only a few minor issues with the set, not enough to warrant a service call.... yet. One technician (a TV satellite guy) told me the wear and tear on a DLP is directly related to the number of on/off cycles rather than the hours the set has been on or the age of the set itself. Can you verify if that is true? My set is often turned on only once or twice a day and is often on for 10 hours or more at a stretch. Maybe that's one reason it has lasted 20 months with no real problems.

Or maybe I've just been lucky so far. It seems most of the troubles I'm reading about here are with the 50 inch sets. Can you offer any light on that subject?

Bronze Member

US

Post Number: 22
Thanks Dave,

As I was going to work this morning on my usual 1 hour drive, I started thinking about what Frank said about the the power supply capacitors. I remembered way back when my TV worked and recalled the sounds it would make when starting up. (Those where the days!!). I remember hearing the fans kick on, followed by the colorwheel spinning, and then the lamp firing. Therefore, following the chain the startup stops because the colorwheel doesn't turn. Now the big question is why doesn't it turn?? Either the light-engine is bad or no power is getting to the colorwheel. Therefore, it can very vell be the power supply capacitors or some other short occuring. Looking for the simple fix, the RCA tech believed the light-engine to be the problem, however, since they do want to re-position the lamp indicates that the heat from the lamp has or has been believed to cause a problem as well. It could also be considered that the power supply capacitors where from a bad batch and are failing pre-maturely because there is no way my TV has 1000 hours of operation. I hope someday soon we can get to the bottom of this.

The ironic thing with this problem is that it is occuring mostly to the HD50LPW175 models. It also alarms me that the product itself may be very flawed. Although most people come to this site having problems, I have yet to find anyone with success with this model. Like I said before, the other same model like ours that was returned to the retailer had been repaired 3 different times. For those here that are tired of the run-a-around and delay on fixing this problem may want to consider the B.B.B. as a solution to end this long question of Incompetence on behalf of the Manufactor. From my research, the Thomson (RCA) office is located in the Sandiego area inwhich the BBB office @ www.sandiego.bbb.org/ handles the complaints for our manufactor. I truely hope that every one gets their problems resolved with RCA however, when you reach the point of no return with this issue you may want to consider getting the BBB in to help. The more complaints they receive on our issue, the more than likelyhood of getting some sort of resolvement. Good luck to you all!!

Bronze Member

US

Post Number: 23
Frank,

First of all I personally appreciate your input.

However, I can also say with 100% facts that.

1. It took over 3 months to get a single part and I lost 1/3 of my factory warrenty getting the TV working again the first time, only to find other problems once TV was working again.

2. I lost 4 months of warrenty only for my TV to fail (not work at all) again after 1 month after the 1 year warrenty expired, 2 months after it was repaired.

3. I had been lied to by RCA for promise of callbacks and Initiating of paper work ever single time and had to recall again my self a week after they were suppose to do what they said they would do.

4. When I call RCA to find out any information about my part order or repair, they told me to call my repairman, whom told me they were waiting to hear from RCA. A "repair circus"????

5. It has been over 2 months again without a working TV and I'm no much futher along know than I was in the beginning!!!

In response to the over 90 day warrenty for a exchange set, No consumer wants to pay several thousand dollars for a TV only to be junk and get an exchange TV with only a 90 day warrenty. What kind of junk are they getting if the manufactor only gives a 90 day warrenty for the exchange and what consumer confidence should be expected with this?? Heck, Jumpback had 3 different replacements after his first purchase, what does that tell you about the quality of his replacements???

Whom here has a TV set 2-3 years old?? Mine is 14 months old and the others with my problem with the 50" sets are under a year!!! I could only dream it to have lasted 2-3 years!!!

I work in the public business and I stand behind my word. I know that most people are impatient, but my set has not work at all over 1/2 of a year. If you had to wait 4 months to get paid for a job you did i'm sure you would feel as we do.

I'm not trying to crap on you and you sound like a great tv tech, however, if it is so simple to fix these tv's then what is the problem. I could be that the repairman that RCA certifies where we are from do know what they are doing and again, RCA should handle this themself since they require and certify these repairman.

Hey Max,

If my TV ever works again the tech said he would look into the sound problem so I don't know anything more than back several months ago. If and when I ever do I'll let you know, I just want you to know I had not forgotten!!!

Jeremy, no problem, I knew you hadn't forgotten me. The tinny/rattling sound problem is more than likely some kind of interaction between the cable service and the TV. It happens much less on my 61 inch than it did with the 50 inch and it can be made to go away by turning the TV off then back on, often not reappearing for a month or so. With the 50 inch it happened much more frequently but the cure was the same.

The little static pops that sometimes are heard is for sure related to the cable TV service. I suspected that for some time and the other night got proof when I was burning a DVD from the cable company's DVR. At the start of the program were two quick little pops and later when I played the DVD the pops had been recorded. None of the input had anything to do with the TV itself, only the cable company equipment, so there's no way the TV could have caused it. I attribute it to their HD service. If I ever get a second HDTV I expect to hear the problem there. My cable provider uses Scientific Atlanta equipment.

One additional thing I'd like to bring up that hopefully no one here is doing is that under no circumstances should a DLP TV be turned on and off via a remote to the power source such as a cable box or remote controlled power strip. My TV tech told me that is a quick way to kill a DLP because it needs the regulated power down cycle to properly cool the bulb and its assembly and that process is defeated by completely killing all power to the set. I asked him about full blown power failures and he said the fairly infrequent electric company power outage or interruption shouldn't hurt it but cycling the set off that way on a regular basis would drastically shorten the life of the set. He also stressed using a good surge protector which I do have.

One oddity I learned about my unit is that if the power is interrupted while the set is on, it will remember that state and come back on when power is restored. That's a good thing to remember if anyone has an extended power outage when the TV was on. I'm curious if Frank or someone else can shed some light on that subject, would it be better to pull the plug on the set until after power is restored or should it be left in? If the owner is gone when the power is restored then the TV would be on until someone could turn it off. I'm wondering if that was programmed into the set by design and, if so, why? I double checked and my TV was not set to turn on automatically after an outage and I've been through other outages when the set was off and it stayed off upon restoration of the power so I'm curious.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us