Pioneer today announced the SPH-DA110 and SPH-DA210 AppRadio 3 in-dash head units, which offer smartphone connectivity to seamlessly integrate apps within the car for navigation, traffic, weather or music onto the receiver’s 7-inch touchscreen.
Both feature compatibility with MirrorLink enabled smartphones in addition to the current AppRadio compatibility with both iOS (iPhone 4/4S/5) and select Android OS smartphones. Additional features are also integrated into each model for enhanced smartphone control and added convenience, including voice control for Siri Eyes Free and Google Voice Recognition, a revised graphical user interface, Bluetooth audio streaming, and a built-in DVD/CD mechanism (SPH-DA210 model only).
The AppRadio 3 follows the same clean and simple hardware aesthetics of its predecessor, utilizing minimal physical buttons, with the majority of functionality and control accessible and operated through the high resolution 7-inch WVGA (800 x 480) capacitive touchscreen. The capacitive touch panel is used for all functions including the app interface, music control/playback, AM/FM radio, and Bluetooth functions. A total of four connectivity cable options, sold separately, enable connections to more than 30 different smartphone devices available in the U.S.
Both AppRadio 3 models feature a built-in AM/FM tuner with RDS text information display (when available), MOSFET 50 Watts X 4 power, and dual preamp outputs. In addition, the SPH-DA210 model also includes a CD/DVD mechanism for playback of conventional media.
Through the use of Pioneer’s free AppRadio application (available for both iOS and Android OS) and compatible third-party apps, both AppRadio 3 receivers offer control of supported app functions using similar touch and motion gestures of the connected smartphone devices on a high resolution 7-inch capacitive touchscreen. Additional convenience and control incorporated in the two new models includes:
- MirrorLink – An in-vehicle connectivity standard created by the Car Connectivity Consortium (CCC), MirrorLink technology enables consumers to connect compatible smartphones to AppRadio 3 (or other compatible in-dash receiver) via a USB cable to access certain music and map applications for a more convenient and safer in-car experience. Similar to AppRadio Mode, MirrorLink is now integrated into AppRadio 3 receivers and offers a vehicle-specific interface and connectivity with MirrorLink certified devices from smartphone manufacturers such as Samsung, Nokia and others.
- Siri Eyes Free – Users of an iPhone 4S and iPhone 5 device can take advantage of Siri Eyes Free functionality with a touch of the AppRadio 3 touchscreen. When activated, Siri voice prompts play through the vehicle’s speakers and the user’s questions and commands are received and transmitted using the external microphone provided with both AppRadio 3 models. Siri Eyes Free provides access to many iPhone functions, such as music selection, listening to and composing text messages, Maps, calendar information, reminders, and more.
- Voice Recognition for Android – Users of compatible voice enabled Android smartphones can utilize Google Voice for hands-free calling by simply touching the microphone icon in the Contacts section of the Pioneer’s AppRadio App (version 2.0.0). Voice recognition can also be used to conveniently find and play stored music through Pioneer’s free of charge CarMediaPlayer App (version 1.2.0).
- Bluetooth – To maximize the connectivity options available in today’s most popular smartphones, both AppRadio 3 models offer both Bluetooth hands-free calling and Bluetooth audio streaming and wireless control of compatible devices. Each model includes Advanced Audio Distribution Profile (A2DP) for wireless audio streaming and Audio Video Remote Control Profile (AVRCP) version 1.3 for wireless control of devices and related metadata (if available) to be viewed directly on the Pioneer touchscreen display.
- Enhanced Touchscreen User Interface – Designed with the smartphone user in mind, the AppRadio 3 touchscreen user interface (UI) provides easy access to the most commonly used features such as apps, music and calling.
Price and Availability
Pioneer’s SPH-DA110 and SPH-DA210 AppRadio 3 models will be available in July 2013 for $399 and $499 respectively. The smartphone connectivity cables range in suggested prices from $30 to $60.