Panasonic announced the HX-A1 (A1) wearable, ultra-compact, 1080p POV action camcorder that is lightweight at 1.6 ounces (45 grams) and can shoot in total darkness. Using an infrared (IR) light source (commercially-available) and an IR filter for night mode (included in packaging), you can capture video in caves with no light or nocturnal wildlife at night.
The 3.54-megapixel action cam shoots 1080p Full HD with crystal-clear AAC sound. The high-end, super-tough Panasonic 2.6mm, F2.8 lens easily withstands the elements to capture everything. And a super-compact 1/3-inch MOS image sensor makes shooting in low-light a snap. For fast-moving scenes, the camera can record slow motion at 1280×720 @ 60 fps (double the normal frame rate), or at 848×480 @ 120 fps (quadruple-speed).
The A1’s rugged structure keeps water and dust out and protects against impact and cold temperatures. Uniquely shaped, the cylindrical camera can be attached in numerous positions to suit a variety of shooting opportunities. You can also use the A1 as a computer webcam when connected via USB.
While recording, footage on the A1 you can send video to a sub-window on the Panasonic camcorder (W970 and W870) via Wi-Fi. It is combined with the main picture shot by the camcorder, allowing you to merge two simultaneously recorded videos into one. With this feature, you can combine multiple subjects in one video or combine the same subject viewed from different angles, giving you more possibilities for shooting in various situations.
- Built-in Wi-Fi
- 0 Lux Night Mode Enables You to Capture in Total Darkness
- Waterproof down to 5 ft (1.5 m) without a housing case (IPX8 compliant)
- Shockproof up to 5 ft (1.5 m) (MIL-STD 810F Method 516.5-Shock compliant)
- Dustproof (IP6X compliant)
- Freeze-proof to 14 degrees F( -10 degrees C)
- Multi Mount（VW-MKA1) – Attaches to goggles, shoulder bags or helmets
- Tripod Mount (VW-CTA1) – Secures the camera to a tripod
- Loop Recording
- Slow Motion Video
- Twin Mount (VW-TMA1) – Attaches to the A1 and your light source for shooting in the dark. Also, two A1s can be attached facing in opposite directions to capture the action all around you
- Extended Battery (VW-BTA1) – Enables approximately 2 hours and 45 minutes of continuous recording (with the A1, at 1920 x 1080 pixel / 30p).
Lightweight and waterproof without a housing case (IPX8 compliant)
- Strap Adaptor (VW-SAA1) – Attaches the camera to a strap or carabineer.
- Head Mount (VW-HMA1) – The camera can be mounted on either side of your head ideal for the casual adventure.
- Clip Mount (VW-CLA100) – Clips to a cap visor or similar surface.
- Suction Cup Mount (VW-SCA100) – Attaches to flat surfaces such as a boat deck or surf board.
- Handlebar Mount (RP-CMC10) – Ideal for mounting A1 to bicycle handlebar.
- Wind Jammer (VW-WJA100) – Reduces wind noise on the microphone
Price and Availability
The Panasonic HX-A1 will be available June 2015 for $199.99 in black or orange.