The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission has announced a recall of the Coby 32-inch HDTV (model TFTV3229) after six incidents involving the televisions overheating, smoking or catching fire. One incident involved a television catching on fire and scorching a wall. Another involved a fire that was limited to the television. No injuries have been reported.
The manufacturer, Coby USA, is out of business so eight retailers have stepped up to voluntarily recall the 8,900 televisions sold. Consumers should immediately turn off and unplug the recalled televisions and contact the participating retailer where their television was purchased for instructions on the remedy available from that retailer, which could be a refund, store credit, gift card or replacement TV. Because the importer/distributor Coby USA is out of business, the retailers are providing the remedy. The remedy and terms vary between the retailers. It is illegal to resell or attempt to resell a recalled consumer product.
This recall involves black Coby 32-inch flat screen televisions with model number TFTV3229 and serial numbers beginning with LG and that have M07 or M10 in the 9th, 10th and 11th position of the serial number. The model and serial numbers are printed on a label on the back of the televisions and Coby is printed on the front.
Who to contact:
- ABC Warehouse: Toll-free at (855) 510-0070 or www.abcwarehouse.com for more information.
- Best Buy: (800) 566-7498 or www.BestBuy.com and click on Product Recalls at the bottom of the page for more information.
- Fry’s Electronics: Toll-free at (877) 688-7678 or www.frys.com for more information.
- h.h. gregg: Toll-free at (888) 723-7385 or www.hhgregg.com for more information.
- Nebraska Furniture Mart: (800) 359-1200 or www.nfm.com for more information.
- P.C. Richard & Son: Toll-free at (866) 312-4493 or www.pcrichard.com for more information.
- Sears/Kmart: Toll-free at (888) 852-3571 or www.sears.com or www.kmart.com and click on Product Recalls at the bottom of the page for more information.
- Toys R Us: (800) 869-7787 or www.toysrusinc.com and click on Product Recalls at the bottom of the page for more information.
To report a dangerous product or a product-related injury go online to www.SaferProducts.gov or call CPSC’s Hotline at (800) 638-2772 or teletypewriter at (301) 595-7054 for the hearing impaired.