An all-in-one wireless security camera, smart speaker, voice control with Amazon Alexa, an intercom, smart sound detector and an expandable smart home hub
Toshiba just released a new multi-function smart home solution called Symbio for $250. It combines six products into one device — a wireless security camera, smart speaker, voice control with Amazon Alexa, an intercom, smart sound detector and an expandable smart home hub. The question quickly becomes is it a jack of all trades and master of none?
All Symbio functionality is controlled through a single app, which works with iOS and Android smartphones. The Toshiba Smart Home App turns a smartphone into a remote control for all Toshiba Symbio connected smart home devices. With the app, users have full control over everything from lights and music to door locks and temperature settings, from any location — at home, at the office or out of town.
Symbio also functions as a smart home hub, which accommodates many connected devices powered by Z-Wave or ZigBee wireless technology, the wireless communications protocol used in hundreds of home automation devices. With a growing number of devices available today, and more being continually introduced, users can easily expand and customize their home with additional smart devices over time.
Toshiba claims Symbio can deliver a smart home experience that previously required professionally installed systems. One device can now be used for home entertainment, home security, home communication, smart home automation, accessing quick information, baby monitoring, pet monitoring, or elder care.
Six smart home Symbio functions:
- Security Camera: 1080p Full HD, wide-angle, low-light camera keeps an eye on children, pets and the home environment for greater peace of mind. Provides sound- and motion-based alerts, and streams live HD video to a smartphone.
- Smart Sound Detector: Monitors for loud sounds, including legacy smoke detectors, and sends smartphone alerts for increased safety.
- Smart Speaker: Integrated full-range speaker offers built-in access to Bluetooth or almost limitless streaming music from leading services like Amazon Music, Pandora and iHeart Radio. Features an exclusive ODMD (Onkyo Double Molding Diaphragm) high-excursion driver to deliver rich, immersive sound.
- Touch-free Voice Control with Amazon Alexa: With simple voice commands, Alexa can answer questions, play music, provide news updates and control lights, temperature and more.
- Smart Home Hub: Allows your Symbio to connect and control additional sensors and devices. Easily expand your system over time with a variety of third-party IoT devices.
- Intercom: Offers built-in microphones and speaker to enable two-way communication between Symbio and your smartphones.
Price and Availability
Toshiba’s new Symbio Smart Home Solution (model TH-GW10) is available now for $249.99 at Amazon.com.
- Dimensions: 3 7/16″ x 8 5/8″ x 3 7/16″ (88 mm x 220 mm x 88 mm)
- Weight: 1 lb. 7 oz. (0.66 kg.)
- Camera Video Resolution: Max 1080p
- Camera Angle of View: 135° diagonal (114° Horz. x 78° Vert.)
- CPU: Quad Core ARM
- Encryption: AES 256 Bit SSL
- USB 2.0 Connection Type A
- Bluetooth 3.0
- Speaker: 1.57″ (40 mm) ODMD driver, 5W (5 ohm) x 1
- Streaming Services: Amazon Music, TuneIn Radio, iHeart Radio
- Voice Assistant: Amazon Alexa
- Wireless LAN: 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac 2×2
- App: Toshiba Smart Home App (requires iOS 9 and higher, Android 5.0 or higher)
- Warranty: 1 year