Features Built-in Android Auto Wireless, Apple CarPlay, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth and Navigation
Pioneer Electronics has released their flagship NEX in-dash car receiver for 2018 that supports Apple CarPlay, Android Auto Wireless and has built-in wi-fi, Bluetooth and navigation. The AVIC-W8400NEX is a double DIN head unit with 7-inch capacitive touchscreen that packs in all the latest technology priced at $1200. Two other step-down models (AVIC-W6400NEX and AVH-W4400NEX) are also new for 2018 priced $400 or $500 less, respectively.
All feature built-in Wi-Fi wireless connectivity specifically designed to support a cable-free connection between the driver or passenger’s smartphone and the receiver. These units are the first to offer compatibility with Apple CarPlay with the option of connecting to a compatible iPhone via either a wireless connection or wired USB connection. Two of the three units, the AVIC-W8400NEX and AVH-W4400NEX, are also compatible with Android Auto Wireless and Android Auto over USB when used with a compatible Android smartphone. All three NEX models also include Wi-Fi Certified Miracast wireless mirroring, car-to-home smart home integration, Pandora internet radio, SiriusXM Ready, iDatalink Maestro support, advanced Bluetooth capabilities, Pioneer’s AppRadio Mode+ and FLAC file playback.
WIRELESS AND WIRED SMARTPHONE CONNECTIVITY
The new models feature built-in Wi-Fi wireless connectivity specifically designed to support a cable-free connection between the driver or passenger’s smartphone and the receiver.
- Android Auto Wireless and Android Auto – Two models, the AVIC-W8400NEX and AVH-W4400NEX offer compatibility with both Android Auto Wireless and Android Auto over USB, particularly convenient for those who want to charge their phones as they drive. Android Auto brings the user’s favorite smartphone apps into one place, making it easier for the driver to access his or her favorite navigation, media, and communication apps on the road while minimizing distractions.
- Apple CarPlay – All three receivers provide compatibility with Apple CarPlay and support connecting to a compatible iPhone using either a wireless connection or a wired USB connection. Apple CarPlay is the smarter, safer and more fun way to use an iPhone in the car.
- Wi-Fi Certified Miracast wireless mirroring – Providing additional wireless connectivity, particularly for owners of older Android smartphones, Miracast enables seamless display of multimedia content between compatible devices and is offered on all three models.
CAR-TO-HOME SMART HOME INTEGRATION READY
Drivers with a connected smart home can remotely take command of their smart devices from the road using any of the new NEX in-dash receivers.
- Google Assistant is now a part of Android Auto. Google Assistant lets the user have a conversation with Google to get things done in his or her world. Google Assistant works with more than 1,000 smart devices from more than 150 popular brands, making it easy to control things around the user’s house just by voice. Google Assistant compatible devices can now report their status and be controlled directly from the car.
- Siri helps you do all sorts of things with CarPlay while driving, including controlling your HomeKit compatible devices remotely from your car (requires Apple HomeKit hub).
- Pandora Station Creation and Station Presets – The dedicated Pandora source on the NEX receivers offers the Pandora station creation feature that enables users to create new Pandora stations while the app is in use with an iPhone device or compatible Android smartphone. Users can simply tap on the currently playing song or artist via the face of the receiver and dynamically create a new Pandora station based on track or artist. Pandora enables listeners to store their personalized stations on six presets for easy access on the receiver.
- USB Connectivity – When connected to an iPhone, iPod, or portable USB drive device via the USB port, users can use basic controls (Play/Pause/FF/Rev/Random/Repeat) and display track, artist and album information.
- SiriusXM Radio Connectivity – The 2018 NEX models are SiriusXM compatible with the addition of a SXV300 SiriusXM Vehicle Connect Tuner (sold separately, SiriusXM subscription required). The receivers are also compatible with the Tune Start, Tune Scan, Tune Mix and Sports Flash features of SiriusXM.
- HD Radio Technology – For high quality audio broadcasts, the three models feature a built-in HD Radio tuner, providing clear digital reception of HD Radio and additional multi-casting programming on HD1, HD2 and HD3 broadcasts from participating radio stations across the country.
CUSTOMIZED AUDIO PERFORMANCE
- Optimized PCB layout for superior audio signal integrity and audiophile-grade capacitors and other components tuned to produce truly premium audio
- Built-in Auto EQ and Auto Time Alignment provide customized audio adjustments for the driver7
- 13 band Graphic Equalizer with touch panel swipe setting and built-in high/low pass crossover with expanded adjustable crossover points and slopes
- Ability for users to play back full HD videos stored on a USB and NTFS files stored on a compatible external HDD5,8
- Receivers offer playback of files encoded as high-res FLAC up to 192kHz/24 bit and provide playback output at CD-quality (44kHz/16bit resolution)
- High power MOSFET 50W x 4
- Bluetooth Wireless Connectivity – All models feature built-in Bluetooth wireless connectivity for convenient hands-free calling and music streaming with compatible Bluetooth enabled devices. Users can pre-register up to 20 smartphones with the receivers, enabling hands-free calling and/or music to be streamed from any of the 20 previously paired phones, eliminating the need to pair and unpair devices.
- To maximize the connectivity options and call quality for hands-free communication and wireless audio streaming, each NEX receiver features Bluetooth AVRCP 1.6 to provide browsing capability of a user’s media library, and HFP 1.6 with wideband speech for clearer overall sound quality, making it easier to recognize and understand voices during calls.
- iDatalink Maestro – with the installation of an iDataLink Maestro module, sold separately, preserve factory features such as climate control, performance gauges and vehicle information such as tire pressure and diagnostic codes. Features vary by vehicle.
- AppRadio Mode+ – iPhone and Android users have the ability to access and control in-vehicle apps directly from the receiver’s large touchscreen display when connected to an iPhone 5 or newer, or a compatible Android smartphone using the corresponding interface cable (sold separately).
- Navigation Options –
- AVIC-W8400NEX and AVIC-W6400NEX offer built-in, highly detailed turn-by-turn navigation with real-time traffic.
- The AVH-W4400NEX is compatible with Pioneer’s AVIC-U280 outboard navigation system (sold separately)
- Back up camera ready – Compatible with many original equipment (OE) rear-view cameras (aftermarket adaptor required, sold separately) and most aftermarket universal rear-view cameras, including Pioneer’s ND-BC8 rear-view camera (sold separately).
- Dual camera inputs – Option for consumers to enhance the rear visibility of their existing vehicles, beyond what can be seen in the rearview mirror
- The AVH-W4400NEX features a detachable face for security
Price and Availability
The 2018 Pioneer NEX receivers are now at the following prices: