PENTAX Imaging Systems has announced the PENTAX K-5 digital SLR camera. The K-5 DSLR offers a true high-end prosumer design and features normally found only on the most costly of professional cameras. With exceptional reliability, user-friendly operation, and the compact, lightweight body of its predecessor, the PENTAX K-7, the new K-5 offers several important and improved features.
The pro-oriented “prosumer” features that take this latest PENTAX DSLR to the next level include:
- High resolution 16.3 megapixel CMOS sensor.
- Fast up to 7 FPS to capture fast action shots.
- High sensitivity 80-12800 ISO range, expandable to 51200, with improved noise performance overall.
- Widescreen 1080p HD video at 25 FPS with sound via built-in microphone or external 3.5mm stereo microphone jack.
- Newly improved, highly responsive and accurate 11 point SAFOX IX+ autofocus system with dedicated AF assist lamp and light wavelength sensor.
- Focus and shutter speed priority during AF-C.
- Native support for both PENTAX PEF and Adobe DNG 14 bit RAW files.
- Improved in-camera HDR image capture with more blending modes and better image alignment for handheld HDR shots.
- SDXC memory card compatibility (via firmware update).
[youtube id=”FNCee0R1sow” width=”610″ height=”373″]
Additional important features on the new PENTAX K-5 digital SLR include:
- A fully weather-sealed and coldproof design.
- A large 3-inch LCD with 921,000 dots of resolution.
- Durable magnesium alloy that surrounds a rugged stainless steel chassis.
- Highly accurate 77 segment metering system.
- Pentaprism viewfinder with 100% field of view and 0.92X magnification.
- PENTAX body-based Shake Reduction (SR) stabilization system that works with every PENTAX lens ever made.
- A maximum 1/8000 second shutter speed.
- HDMI port outputs high-definition images and video (and sound).
- A wide range of in-camera image processing and special effects filters.
- Customizable RAW/Fx button.
- Built-in electronic level with tilt scale display in LCD panel.
These improvements and features are a direct result of customer feedback provided to PENTAX by dedicated “prosumer” Pentaxian shooters who have helped refine the K-5 to deliver a wide feature set and make it a perfect all-purpose camera for field or studio use. The K-5 is an excellent choice for advanced enthusiasts looking for a compact, yet highly advanced camera without spending thousands of dollars more.
Price and Availability
The PENTAX K-5 digital SLR will ship in October 2010 as a body kit only for $1,599.95 USD or as a lens kit with the 18-55mm WR for $1,749.95 USD.