Motorola Mobility announced the ATRIX HD touch-screen smartphone capable of 4G LTE speeds. The new phone follows the ATRIX 2 (with slide-out keyboard), and the original ATRIX model, with a faster 1.5 GHz dual-core processor, a larger and higher resolution screen, with the new Android 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich) operating system.
The ATRIX HD is remarkably thin at 8.4 millimeters but doesn't compromise strength since it is made KEVLAR strong for incredible stability in any situation. The Motorola ATRIX HD also has a high-tech, invisible nano-coating that acts as a splash guard — not only on the outer shell, but on the electrical circuit boards inside, too.
The vibrant 4.5-inch HD ColorBoost display offers 50 percent more pixels than the leading smartphones, for more vibrant colors, greater detail and sharper, clearer images. The ATRIX HD also features an 8-megapixel rear-facing camera with 1080p HD video recording capabilities at 30 frames per second and zero shutter lag. It also has a front-facing 720p HD camera.
Motorola ATRIX HD comes pre-loaded with SMARTACTIONS, a free app from Motorola that suggests ways to automatically change your phone's settings throughout the day to make your life easier. For instance, when you place the Motorola ATRIX HD in the Vehicle Navigation Dock accessory and enable Drive Smart, it will set your phone to vehicle mode, read your text messages aloud, auto-reply to incoming calls and texts as well as provide turn-by-turn navigation. You can also set rules for when your battery gets low by enacting the Battery Extender, which can help your battery last longer by turning off GPS, disabling background sync or other features you select.
Running on Android 4.0, Ice Cream Sandwich, the ATRIX HD is the first phone equipped with Motorola's Circle Widget on the home screen, which connects directly with your AT&T account and displays data usage since your last bill. Plus, it gives you “at-a-glance” access to the time, notifications, weather and battery meter. You can also access more than 600,000 apps and games on Google Play, as well as millions of books and songs and thousands of movies and TV shows.
For business users, the Motorola ATRIX HD comes with advanced security features including password protection and inactivity timeouts, VPN, government-grade data encryption on both the device and SD card, and the ability to wipe the phone and SD card in the event your phone is lost or stolen. With apps like Quickoffice, customers are able to create and edit documents and stay connected to their work on-the-go.
Price and Availability
The Motorola ATRIX HD will be available July 15, 2012 from AT&T for $99.99 (with 2-year service agreement) in the U.S. in black or white, while Bell Mobility will offer the ATRIX HD in Canada this summer.
- OS: Android 4.0. (Ice Cream Sandwich)
- Size/Dimensions: 69.9mm (x), 133.5mm (y), 8.4mm (z)
- Display: 4.5″ HD ColorBoost, 720×1280 TFT (330 PPI)
- Weight: 140 grams
- Processor: Dual-core 1.5 GHz
- Battery: 1780 mAh (embedded)
- Talk and Standby Time: Up to 9 hours 4G talk time; Up to 8.5 days stand by time
- Bands/Modes: WCDMA 850/1900/2100/1700; GSM 850/900/1800/1900 LTE Bands 4,17; HSPA+ Category 14; 850/1900, B4, B17 Rx Diversity
- Connectivity: 3.5mm, USB 2.0, HDMI, BOTA, Corporate Sync
- Bluetooth: Stereo Bluetooth Class 2; Version 4.0 LE
- Messaging/Web/Apps: MMS, SMS, Email (Push Email, Corporate Sync, Gmail), IM (GTalk), POP3, IMAP
- Camera: Rear-facing 8 MP auto-focus camera with zero shutter lag, 720p HD front-facing webcam
- Audio: AAC, AAC+, AAC+ Enhanced, AMR NB, AMR WB, MIDI, MP3, WAV, WMA v10, WMA v9
- Video: 1080p HD Capture/Playback 30 fps with stabilization, H.264, MPEG4
- Storage & Memory: 1GB RAM x 8GB ROM, microSD, expandable up to 32GB
- WLAN: 802.11 a/b/g/n
- Location Services: aGPS (assisted), eCompass
- Pre-loaded Applications: SMARTACTIONS, Google+, Google Mobile Services including Google Talk, Facebook, YouTube, Quickoffice, and more.
See more smartphones →