Offers Superior Guidance with Real-Time Traffic; Text-to-Speech, MP3 Entertainment and More Create Must-Have Travel Tool
Thales’ navigation business, creator of Hertz NeverLost and global provider of Magellan Consumer GPS products, today announced the new Magellan RoadMate 860T portable vehicle navigation system, available in May at US $799. The Magellan RoadMate 860T provides real-time traffic capabilities with 15 months of traffic service included so drivers can easily gain detour routes to get to their destination faster. In addition, the Magellan RoadMate 860T features SayWhere, a text-to-speech function that speaks the street name for upcoming maneuvers. The Magellan RoadMate 860T also doubles as a travel entertainment device, providing users with 10 GB of memory for storing multimedia files so they can enjoy music and view photos.
“The Magellan RoadMate 860T builds upon the benefits, flexibility and value the Magellan RoadMate 800 offered as the ultimate multimedia travel partner,” said Raj Mitra, director of product marketing. “The Magellan RoadMate 860T not only provides enhanced navigation performance with live traffic updates but also delivers more than twice the available memory for multimedia file storage.”
In major metropolitan areas, the Magellan RoadMate 860T can receive live traffic updates to notify drivers of incidents along their route and direct them on a new route when faster alternatives are available. Drivers can also choose to receive traffic alerts for information only, without being re-routed. Traffic incidents appear as road-sign icons on the Magellan RoadMate map screen to indicate accidents, road work, and other conditions that slow the flow of traffic. The Magellan RoadMate updates the remaining travel time and distance to the destination. Drivers can choose to see all incidents or only specific types, and can gain details about each by touching the related road-sign icon on the screen.
Using the most up-to-date street maps preloaded on a 20 GB hard drive, the Magellan RoadMate 860T delivers voice-prompted and visual door-to-door directions anywhere in the 50 United States, Puerto Rico, Canada and the US Virgin Islands. Drivers can also access preloaded maps for 27 European countries when traveling abroad for an additional fee. Navigating is easy with the large, 3.5-inch, high-resolution daylight visible TFT color touch screen and the option of a 2D or 3-D “bird’s eye” map view.
Other useful features include:
- Added Traffic Avoidance — In addition to the real-time traffic service, SmartDetour offers the option to choose an alternative route around traffic when the vehicle is stopped on highways.
- SmartVolume — Automatically increases the volume when the speed exceeds 45 MPH.
- ntegrated Battery — Enjoy cable-free use for navigating, entertainment or accessing addresses.
- Gain Optimal Routes for Multiple-Destination Trips Save up to 20 trips with 20 destinations each and receive the shortest route between the destinations.
- More than Six Million Points of Interest — Use the searchable database to quickly gain directions and phone numbers for businesses, like banks, gas stations and restaurants.
- Home Button — Provides instant routing to the destination of choice at the touch of a button.
- Review Trip Data — Track mileage, travel time and other trip statistics using the trip computer.
- Night View — The map color changes automatically for better visibility at night.
- QuickSpell — Provides fast and easy address entry.
The Magellan RoadMate 860T ships with the Magellan TrafficKit, a windshield mount and enhanced cradle, a USB cable, AC adaptor, vehicle power adapter, headphones and a protective pouch. For more information on Magellan GPS products and accessories, visit http://www.magellanGPS.com.
About Thales’ navigation business
Thales is a leading international electronics and systems group serving defense, aerospace, security and services markets. The Group employs 60,000 people throughout the world and generated revenues of 10.2 billion Euros in 2005.
Thales’ navigation business is a global innovator of navigation and positioning solutions. The company markets its Magellan brand GPS products in vehicle navigation and outdoor markets, and its professional GPS and GNSS solutions in the survey, GIS/Mapping, and OEM markets that include consumer electronics, automotive navigation and high-precision applications. Also, through its joint venture with Hertz, Thales Navigation has developed the Hertz NeverLost vehicle navigation system.