Formlabs today launched Form 2, the company’s second-generation high-resolution, desktop stereolithography (SLA) 3D printer. The Form 2 brings bigger prints, smarter components, connected capabilities, and an intuitive printing experience to professionals. The company claims Form 2 raises the industry standard for reliable prints, delivers sophisticated technology with an intuitive interface and introduces new features aimed at team collaboration, simpler workflows and time savings.
“Through building the Form 1 and Form 1+ we’ve learned that professional engineers, designers and creators need access to powerful, easy-to use systems,” said Max Lobovsky, co-founder of Formlabs. “We believe that this is the ‘next wave’ of the 3D printing industry: high resolution output with a simple user experience packaged in a desktop footprint. In many ways, 3D printing technology is following a similar path to the desktop computer. It started with mainframes, was adopted by the hobbyist and then evolved into the powerful desktop machines everyone uses today. The Form 2 represents the next wave of 3D printing technology.”
- Bigger prints: Over 40% bigger build volume from its predecessor the Form 1+.
- More powerful laser: 50% more powerful laser yielding better print resolution.
- New print process: A new sliding peel mechanism, wiper and heated resin tank make it possible to print large, solid parts with intricate details.
- Automated resin system: New resin cartridges will automatically refill the resin tank during the printing process.
1-click print: An update to Formlabs’ PreForm Software, this feature will prepare prints and simplify the printing process.
- Connected capabilities: The Form 2 offers wireless printing via Wi-Fi, creating custom notifications and mobile alerts. The new dashboard enables print progress to be monitored across multiple printers on desktop, mobile or tablet.
- Touchscreen display: Full-color touchscreen for managing print queues and viewing print status
Price and Availability
The Form 2 is available for purchase on September 22, 2015 for $3,499 and includes Formlabs’ PreForm software, one litre of resin for printing and a finish kit for post-processing the parts.