Portable and outdoor projectors became very popular during the pandemic as families moved the movie theater outdoors. As we move closer to the summer, manufacturers have begun to announce the next generation of affordable models including the new Emotn N1, which is its first Netflix-licensed projector.
Tip: Emotn is a subsidiary of Dangbei, a China-based company specializing in hardware and software solutions for large-screen display products.
The N1 can be used at home or on the go. With 1080p native resolution and built-in smart TV streaming features, you don’t need to plug anything else to start watching, just connect it to the internet and watch content from several streaming services including Netflix.
Tip: Netflix and other major streaming services require separate subscription fees.
In addition to Netflix, the N1 also includes direct access to Amazon Prime Video and YouTube via hot keys on the remote. Other pre-loaded apps include YouTube Kids, Toon Goggles, and TIKILIVE. There is also an APP store and Open Browser that provides access to more streaming content. In addition, you can also view content via screen mirroring, screencasting, HDMI, and USB. You can also use the N1 as a Bluetooth speaker.
Tip: The reason that the Netflix license is important is that although there are a growing number of projectors that incorporate smart features, not all of them can officially access Netflix. The XGIMI Aura, LG PF610P, and LG PF510QL are examples of projectors that can’t guarantee Netflix access.
LED Light Source
To view images, no matter what the source, the N1 incorporates a 30,000-hour rated LED light source.
Three advantages of an LED light source over a lamp in a projector are:
- LEDs are smaller than lamps, which is more practical than smaller projectors.
- LEDs don’t have to be replaced periodically. This is a more cost-effective option than owning a projector that uses a lamp.
- LED lights run cooler than traditional lamps so the need for a noisy fan is lessened.
Tip: In addition to the LED light source which facilitates color, the grayscale image information is provided by LCD chip technology with 1080p resolution support.
Features and Specifications
In addition to the technologies used to project the image onto a screen or wall, here are the N1’s additional features and specifications.
- Display Technology: LCD
- Light Source: LED
- Light Source Lifespan: 30,000 Hours
- Light Output: 500 ANSI Lumens
- Resolution: 1080p (1920×1080 FHD)
- HDR Support: HDR 10 – It is important to note that with a modest 500 Lumen light output, the HDR effect will be minimal.
- Throw Ratio: 1.25:1
- Projector Distance: 1.67m (5ft 6in) to 3.15m (10 ft 4in)
- Image Size Range: 60 to 120-inches
- Weight: 4.24 lbs
- Dimensions: 7.17 x 4.92 x 7.56 inches
- Official Content Licenses: Netflix, YouTube, Prime Video, etc
- Auto Focus: ToF (Time of Flight) Laser Auto Focus
- Auto Keystone Adjustment: ±20 Degrees
- Manual Keystone Adjustment: Yes
- Audio: 2 x 5W built-in speaker system
- Surround Sound Formats: Dolby Audio, Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital Plus (mix down within a 2-channel platform)
- RAM: 1GB DDR3
- Storage: 8GB eMMC5.1
- Operating System: Linux
- USB 2.0 x 1
- HDMI IN x 1
- DC-IN x 1
- LAN x 1
- Audio Line-Out x 1
- WiFi 2.4G/5G, 2T2R, 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac
- Bluetooth: Ver 5.0/BLE
- Screen Mirroring/Screen Casting
- Operating Temperature: 5℃~35℃
- Power Consumption: 110W
- Noise: ＜26dB @25℃
- Power Plug 120W (19V/6.32A)
- AC cord x1
- Bluetooth Remote Control x1
- User Manual x1
Price and Availability
The Emotn N1 is now available for $399.99 on Amazon. To celebrate the launch, Emotn is offering a $50 discount coupon.
Tip: The N1 will also be available at Amazon CA on Amazon UK in the coming months.