New 1 Terabyte High Definition DVR with Integrated Slingbox, Touchpad Remote Control and Tile-based User Interface
DISH Network Corporation today unveiled the world’s first SlingLoaded™ HD DuoDVR™, the award-winning ViP 922. The ViP 922 is the first high definition digital video recorder that incorporates placeshifting technology.
The ViP 922 was built by EchoStar Technologies L.L.C., a wholly-owned subsidiary of EchoStar Corporation (NASDAQ: SATS), and developed for DISH Network as an entertainment centerpiece that — combined with the only 1080p Video on Demand and 100 percent, all-HD suite of programming packages available today — will revolutionize the way consumers watch and enjoy their favorite programming. DISH Network will offer the ViP 922 to customers in Spring 2009.
“DISH Network is pleased to add another award-winning product to our suite of MPEG-4 HD DVR ViP receivers: a groundbreaking set top box that offers consumers the true experience of TV everywhere,” said DISH Network Chairman, CEO and President Charlie Ergen. “By integrating Sling Media’s Slingbox technology into our industry-leading HD DVR, DISH Network is providing even more ways for our subscribers to view their TV programming — through their television sets, their desktops at home, their laptops on the road, and their smartphones including Blackberrys, iPhones and more.”
The ViP 922 allows TV enthusiasts to watch and control their favorite TV shows and sporting events from anywhere in the world via a broadband Internet connection on their laptop or mobile phone. With five video sources, including satellite, broadband and optional over-the-air tuners, viewers will never run out of shows to watch. The ViP 922 also features a multi-tuner DVR with up to 1,000 hours of recording time and supports connecting external hard drives for even more storage capacity.
An innovative touchpad remote control accompanies the ViP 922, which eliminates half the buttons of a standard remote control and provides cursor-like navigation on a TV screen. With a slide of the thumb, viewers experience scroll-over activation of the new user interface: on-screen widget-like tiles and pop-up menus. All features are selectable by an underside index finger trigger selection on the radio frequency-controlled remote, which offers two-way learning of codes from other AV equipment remote controls.
The ViP 922 can also be controlled using SlingGuide™, a new way for consumers to control their TV viewing experience over the Internet. SlingGuide features a powerful search engine for the TV along with the ability to schedule the ViP 922 DVR timers remotely.
Other ViP 922 features include:
- News feeds located on the home screen, giving viewers instant access to national news, weather, sports, and stock quotes.
- Ability to organize channels by channel name or number.
- 1080p, 1080i, 720p, 480i and 480p support.
- Internet-delivered DISH On Demand including 1080p content.
- Ability to move one day in the guide while browsing full screen EPG or partial EPG.
- Connections to home networks via Ethernet, HomePlug Turbo (the next generation of HomePlug that allows for faster in-home transfer of content using home power lines), or WiFi (with optional WiFi adapter).
- Powerful search capability across all available video sources, including IP, VOD, satellite or DVR.
- Intuitive timer creation and DVR management, allowing users to categorize programming by groups (video source, title, genres) or by content description (date, length, ratings and more).
- Ability to load photos, MP3s and selected Internet content.
- Future upgrades such as photo sharing, movie ticket purchases, family calendars, instant messaging, streaming audio, and the ability to transfer content within a home network.
EchoStar’s new user interface and remote control for the ViP 922 were selected as CES Innovations 2009 Design and Engineering Award honorees. Demonstrations of the ViP 922 will be available at DISH Network’s Booth No. 14438, located in the Central Hall at the Las Vegas Convention Center, Jan. 8-11. For more information about DISH Network, visit http://www.dishnetwork.com.
About DISH Network Corporation
DISH Network Corporation (Nasdaq: DISH), the nation’s third largest pay-TV provider and the leader in digital television, provides approximately 13.78 million satellite TV customers as of Sept. 30, 2008, with industry-leading customer satisfaction which has surpassed major cable TV providers for eight consecutive years. DISH Network also provides customers with award-winning HD and DVR technology including the ViP722 HD DVR, which received the Editors’ Choice awards from both CNET and PC Magazine. In addition, subscribers enjoy access to hundreds of video and audio channels, the most International channels in the U.S., industry-leading Interactive TV applications, Latino programming, and the best sports and movies in HD. DISH Network offers a variety of package and price options including the lowest all-digital price in America, the DishDVR Advantage Package, high-speed Internet service, and a free upgrade to the best HD DVR in the industry. DISH Network is included in the Nasdaq-100 Index (NDX) and is a Fortune 300 company.