French manufacturer, Devialet, have proven that they like to march to their own drummer. Straight down the Champs-Élysées with a very different perspective on design and how audio engineering can be integrated into something unique.
Priced at $2,400, the Devialet Dione high-end home theater soundbar comes packed with everything you need for immersive sound in one speaker. There are 17 speaker drivers in total, comprised of 8 subwoofers and 9 aluminum full-range speakers, one of which appears within a sphere at the center.
Interestingly, the 5.1.2 Dolby Atmos sound bar can be placed flat on a media console or mounted vertically under a TV. Its orientation is automatically recognized by an internal gyro sensor which adapts the center sphere speaker mechanically and acoustically to the position of the soundbar.
Although Dione promises 24Hz to 21kHz performance, we’re somewhat skeptical of those claims since no external subwoofer is included. However, Dione includes room calibration and cutting edge beamforming techniques said to improve spatialization.
Featuring two new patented technologies, combined with a host of existing proprietary technologies, Devialet Dione has been carefully crafted to provide a truly immersive sound experience in an all-in-one compact device.
- SPACE™ actively upscales any content into Devialet Dione 5.1.2 audio channels creating an enveloping spatialization effect
- ADE (Advanced Dimensional Experience), a new digital signal processing technology, that uses beamforming to reinforce 3D immersion
- AVL™ (Adaptive Volume Level) dynamically equalizes sound levels for a more enjoyable viewing experience
- ORB®️ enables the central sphere to adapt mechanically and acoustically to the position of the soundbar, maximizing sound restitution no matter where the soundbar is positioned
In addition to these dedicated proprietary technologies, Devialet Dione embeds award-winning ADH® (Analog Digital Hybrid) amplification technology inside a unique audio system on a chip (SoC), uniting the precision of analog with the power and compactness of digital into a single 1cm² silicon die, to provide unrivaled clarity of sound while greatly optimizing power consumption.
Devialet says the design of Dione eliminates the need for a separate subwoofer. The soundbar’s seventeen Devialet-designed neodymium drivers, including eight long-throw subwoofers in a SAM®-powered (Speaker Active Matching) push-push configuration are said to deliver unbelievably powerful, deep bass whatever the volume.
Devialet Dione is compatible with Dolby Atmos, offering the latest innovations in multichannel and object-based audio. The soundbar is also capable of enhancing immersion on any content such as TV channels thanks to SPACE™, Devialet’s proprietary 3D upmixing sound algorithm. However, native DTS:X is not supported.
Devialet Dione’s sleek appearance (at just 77mm high) blends seamlessly into any space while its eye-catching central ORB®️ offers a nod to Devialet Phantom’s signature aesthetic, and most importantly maintains perfect front-facing orientation no matter the position.
Four unique listening modes ensure the ideal sound for any occasion.
- Movie Mode: This mode converts mono and stereo content into a thrilling multichannel experience when connected via the HDMI and Optical inputs.
- Spatial Mode: A layered-sound setting that puts you center stage and lets you enjoy your music and content played through online sources at their best.
- Music Mode: This mode reproduces a stereo setup and disables spatialization.
- Voice Mode: A custom setting for voice-forward content like podcasts, news programs, and more.
Controlled via the Devialet app, users can use the room calibration scan to ensure the sound perfectly suits their surroundings.
Alongside its iconic design, breathtakingly immersive atmosphere and superior sound quality, Devialet Dione boasts industry-leading plug-and-play features including HDMI 2.1 eARC with CEC, Optical (TOSLINK), Airplay 2, Spotify Connect, UPnP and Bluetooth 5.0.
Price & Availability
Devialet Dione is available to pre-order now for $2,400 at Amazon / £1,990. It is due out April 26, 2022.
For more information: devialet.com
Related reading: Best Soundbars