Canon announced two full-frame, 50.6-megapixel digital SLR cameras featuring dual DIGIC 6 Image Processors. The new EOS 5DS ($3699) and EOS 5DS R ($3,899) high-resolution DSLR cameras offer tremendous imaging possibilities for photographers who produce large, highly-detailed prints and those looking to do extensive, creative cropping. The only difference between the two is the R model’s LPF (Low-pass filter) effect cancellation.
For most users, professional and advanced enthusiasts alike, the EOS 5DS will be the ideal choice, and is suited for a wide range of applications, including studio, landscape, gallery and fine-art photography, and more.
The EOS 5DS R is a specialized version and is intended for photographers looking to capture the maximum amount of detail possible, and is best suited for landscape, commercial work, or other specialized types of applications. Since the EOS 5DS R offers the LPF cancellation effect, the possibility of moiré and color artifacts is greater than with the EOS 5DS.
Both cameras include a 61-Point High Density Reticular AF array including up to 41 cross-type AF points and EOS iTR AF for high precision autofocus. They also include the EOS Scene Detection system featuring a 150,000-pixel RGB+IR 252-zone metering sensor that provides enhanced precision and performance. Both models provide attractive options for medium format shooters especially when coupled with a wide array of over 70 creative Canon EF lenses to choose from.
Both cameras were designed to minimize camera shake and significantly improve stability via a reinforced chassis, baseplate and tripod lug to improve rigidity. Canon also re-designed the mirror vibration control system to help reduce mirror bounce and camera shake. To help maximize stability and minimize vibrations, Canon added a new Arbitrary Release Time Lag Setting in Mirror Lock mode in both models. In addition to the standard setting (press the shutter button once to lock the mirror, then again to release the shutter), the EOS 5DS and EOS 5DS R cameras offer new setting intervals of 1/8, 1/4, 1/2, one and two seconds, releasing the shutter after the selected preset delay, allowing potential camera vibration to dissipate before shutter release.
A new Picture Style called “Fine Detail” has been added to enhance the sharpness of JPEGs and EOS Movies with three new settings: Strength, Fineness and Threshold. With such abundant resolution on each sensor, both models also provide two cropped shooting modes, while still delivering high-resolution images 30.5 megapixels for the 1.3x mode and 19.6 megapixels for the 1.6x mode. The available crop options are visible as a mask or an outline in the viewfinder; so shooters can know exactly where to frame their subject.
Like the EOS 7D Mark II, the EOS 5DS and EOS 5DS R cameras feature an advanced AE system that can detect and compensate for flickering light sources such as sodium vapor lamps that are often used in gymnasiums and natatoriums. When enabled, this anti-flicker system automatically adjusts shutter release timing to help reduce disparities in exposure and color especially during continuous shooting. And new Auto White Balance settings include Ambience Priority and White Priority (for use when shooting under tungsten lighting).
Both models feature Intelligent Viewfinder II providing approximately 100 percent field of view, while adding the ability to display cropped shooting frames and superimpose a customizable selection of camera settings and data such as dual-mode electronic level display and grid, as well as exposure, white balance, metering, drive, image quality and AF modes. A new Customizable Quick Control Screen, another first for EOS cameras, allows photographers to quickly change frequently used camera settings and functions.
Both cameras can shoot in 1080p Full HD up to 30p or 720p HD video up to 60p. A creative Time Lapse Movie function, a first for EOS cameras, takes a continuous series of still photographs and automatically combines them in camera into a Full HD movie file. Interval adjustments can be set from one second to 99 hours, 59 minutes and 59 seconds. The number of shots possible range from 2 to 3,600 with a maximum of two minutes and 30 seconds of playback time. In addition, high-speed continuous shooting up to five-frames-per-second (fps) at full 50 megapixel resolution allows users to capture fast action. Custom controls include a built-in intervalometer and bulb timer.
Both cameras feature dual card slots for CF and SD memory cards, including Ultra High Speed (UHS-1) SD cards. Built to last, the cameras also feature a shutter durability rating up to 150,000 cycles, the same as the EOS 5D Mark III.
Price and Availability (June 2015)
Canon EOS 5DS Features
- Newly designed 50.6 Megapixel full-frame CMOS helps deliver ultra-high resolution images for large-scale printing and extensive, creative cropping, while Dual DIGIC 6 Image Processors enable spectacular image quality and processing speed.
- EOS Scene Detection System features a 150,000-pixel RGB+IR Metering Sensor for excellent precision.
- 61-Point High Density Reticular AF including up to 41 cross-type AF points and EOS iTR allows for high precision autofocus.
- Advanced mirror control mechanism and new user-selectable shutter release time lag helps suppress camera vibration for reducing image shake.
- Anti-flicker helps compensate for flickering light sources and provides consistent exposure and color during continuous shooting.
- Built-in intervalometer and bulb timer helps deliver expanded creativity.
- 1.3x and 1.6x crop shooting adds superb flexibility, while still delivering high resolution images required for demanding applications.
- Intelligent Viewfinder II with approximately 100% viewfinder coverage.
- Full HD 30p movie capability and Time Lapse Movie function, which takes still photographs at set intervals and combines them into a Full HD movie file.
- High-speed continuous shooting up to 5.0 fps allows you to capture fast action.
- 3.2-inch ClearView II LCD monitor, 170° viewing angle, 1,040,000-dot VGA, reflection resistance with multi coating and high-transparency materials for bright and clear viewing.
- Customizable Quick Control Screen allows you to quickly change frequently used camera settings and functions.
- Support for USB 3.0.
Canon EOS 5DS R adds: