SVS has introduced their top-of-the-line cabinet-type subwoofer, the 1000-watt DSP Controlled, SB13-Ultra, which utilizes a 13.5-inch driver in a compact sealed enclosure. Designed to deliver the most vigorous, versatile bass performance in its class, the new SVS subwoofer is a low-frequency, high-output knockout in a surprisingly elegant footprint.
SVS engineers radically revised the motor geometry, added a unique, ultra-high-power aluminum voice coil, and developed a custom gap extension plate that increases linear stroke and reduces distortion. Add to that dual linear-roll spiders, a stitched parabolic surround, and the ultra-light but rigid Rohacell composite cone material of the Ultra 13 driver, and the result is an incredibly robust subwoofer with extreme excursion.
To complement these driver refinements, the SB13-Ultra employs an integrated SVS 1000W (3,200 watts peak power) DSP Sledge amplifier with sophisticated DSPs perfectly matched to the driver and cabinet, and an equalization curve optimized for enhanced transient response and to complement room gain. Although it’s rated to deliver 20Hz to 460Hz (±3dB), in the right room, with the right settings, it can easily reach down to a gun-wrenching 15Hz, without diminishing the nuanced textures and incredible transient response that audiophiles demand. Its room-size compensation control also allows the SB13-Ultra to sonically adapt to any size room, not just the labs of SVS. Power users will appreciate the two-band parametric equalizer (PEQ), yet this advanced feature is easily disabled for users who prefer to rely on the bass management of their favorite preamp or receiver.
“Its relatively compact design allows us to deliver our best technology into spaces that might not have accommodated our subwoofers before, which makes it a genuinely exciting launch for us. It’s time for a whole new audience to fall in love with our incomparable sound,” said Gary Yacoubian, SVS president and managing partner.
Price and Availability
The SVS SB13-Ultra is available now for $1599 with a worry-free 45-day in-home trial.
- Cabinet Dims: 17.4″ (H) x 17.4″ (W) x 17.4″(D)
- Overall Dims: 17.9″ (H) x 17.4″ (W) x 20.4″(D)(includes feet, grille, amplifier)
- Weight: 92 pounds
- Rigid and braced MDF cabinet
- Piano gloss black and real black oak veneer finish options
- Front-firing driver
- Protective non-resonant steel mesh grille
- SVS 13.5” high-performance Ultra driver optimized for sealed applications
- SVS custom-tooled die-cast aluminum basket
- Flat-wire, 3” diameter, high-power, high-temp, 8-layer, aluminum voice coil – unique to SB13-Ultra
- Polyimide impregnated fiberglass former/bobbin
- Dual 9″, composite layered, linear roll, extreme excursion spiders
- Integrated tinsel leads
- Nickel-plated high-tension spring terminals
- Proprietary injection molded gasket and parabolic SBR extreme-excursion surround
- Composite pulp/fiberglass press layered cone with stitched surround
- Low carbon 1008 steel components, electrophoresis black plating
- FEA-optimized overhung motor structure with custom gap extension plate enhances force/displacement symmetry, lower distortion and increases linear stroke
- Copper shorting sleeve reduces gap induction and distortion, and enhances thermal conductivity
- Dual Genox 8H/Y-35 high grade ferrite magnets
- Oversized pole vent for greater cooling and low noise
- STA-1000D Sledge with 1000 watts RMS continuous power (3600 watts peak dynamic power)
- High efficiency cool-running Class D switching topology
- Detachable power cord with main power switch and ceramic fuse
- RoHS compliant, lead-free construction and world-wide safety certifications
- Auto-On / On switch with “green” standby mode
- Stereo line-level RCA and balanced (XLR) I/O connections
- Normal and Hi input voltage switch
- Customized EQ and DSP limiter settings specifically for the SB13-Ultra
- Fully adjustable (frequency and slope) phase-correct speaker/sub digital crossover
- Intelligent Feature Control (IFC) with bright LCD display
- Two (2) digital PEQs with adjustable frequency, cut/boost, and Q values
- Room gain compensation control with adjustable frequency and slope
- Adjustable digital delay on main speaker line-level outputs to time-align the speakers and subs