Super bright LED projector with 30,000 hours of lamp life; Now shipping
SIM2 launches its first entry in the single-chip LED FULL HD DLP projector market, the MICO 50 (MSRP $19,995). Aptly named – MICO is Latin for ‘sparkle’- the new model is a very worthy addition to the SIM2 2009 Collection. MICO 50 offers an eco-friendly, long-lasting, brilliantly colored front projection option to home theater enthusiasts of discerning taste.
Advantages of the SIM2 LED-powered “Lamp-Free” MICO 50 projector
- The LED light source provides purity of primary colors with a wider and more consistent color gamut
- LEDs offer extremely stable color characteristics over their lifetime (typically less than 5% variance)
- The Red/Green/Blue LEDs deliver ultra-fast sequential color picture information, without the use of an optical color wheel
- Instant power on/off (less than 1 millisecond)
- Very low noise thanks to a new advanced, liquid cooling system
- The LEDs estimated lifetime is 30,000 hours. No maintenance is needed on the light source with consequent low cost of ownership
- Eco-friendly: no mercury-based lamp is used, eliminating hazardous disposal. LEDs also have reduced overall energy usage compared to UHP lamps
“SIM2 wowed CEDIA attendees with the preview of the MICO 50”, said Charlie Boornazian, SIM2’s VP of Sales and Marketing. “Our dealers were thrilled to see our continued R&D efforts hard at work, and we are proud to not only show, but deliver on our promise of MICO 50. We have claimed a large share of the market over our competitors by being first to market with new technologies. Once again the SIM2 R&D team has provided us with the tools to continue our leadership in the home theater space.”
The LED light source utilized in the design of the MICO 50 is a trio of high power Phlatlight LEDs by Luminus (one for each primary color Red, Green and Blue) directing light into the projector optics without going through an ordinary projector’s color wheel. An LED light source can output a pure and narrow light spectrum, allowing higher light engine efficiency and perfect color matching. The trio of LEDs writes sequential color information onto the DLP chipset, without the use of a color wheel which can produce the “rainbow effect” in lesser projector designs.
SIM2’s LED projector offers a totally new home theatre experience in terms of picture quality, with the bonus that the typical life of the LED modules is estimated at 30,000 hours. At the same time, the output of the LED array stays consistent over its entire lifetime, with average lumen decay of less than 5% after 2000 hours. The MICO 50 is equipped with TI’s latest Darkchip4 chipset and DynamicBlack technology. This pair of future-proof features allows the MICO 50 to deliver outstanding Full HD images on-screen, with an impressive Full On-Full Off contrast ratio of 100,000:1. SIM2’s LED optical engine is more light-efficient that competing designs, offering approximately 20% more light output than its rivals.
The MICO 50 uses an 8-bits-per channel high-speed current driver that balances the light intensity coming from the three LED modules, precisely matching the projector’s light output to the incoming video signal. Furthermore, the driver is able to switch off the 30A driving current to each LED in less than 1 microsecond. When necessary, the driver can turn off the LEDs to deliver totally black images during dark scenes.
With a technologically advanced liquid-cooling system, the MICO 50 is able to reduce its operating noise to an extremely quiet level. Moreover, cooling the Phlatlight LEDs directly helps to achieve an even greater LED lifetime than that typically quoted.
LED lighting technology is the only truly eco-friendly light source, making the new SIM2 model a truly “Green’ projector.
- Lower overall energy consumption and standby mode < 1W
- Elimination of mercury used within normal UHP lamps
- No replacement hazard or stockpiling of hazardous materials in landfills
MICO 50 will be available with two different lens options: T1 (short-throw) and T2 (long-throw), with a total TR range 1.5 — 3.5:1. Both lenses come with motorized zoom and focus control as standard. Moreover, the MICO 50 is equipped with both vertical and horizontal motorized lens shift, making it one of the easiest projectors to install into a home theatre system.
Finish: High-gloss Gunmetal. Available now, with suggested retail pricing: $19,995 (with T1 short-throw or T2 long-throw lens)