JL Audio has introduced an 8-inch version of their Fathom IWS in-wall subwoofer systems for home theater enthusiasts demanding serious bass without taking up space in a room. The new 8-inch Fathom IWS (models IWS-SYS-108 and IWS-SYS-208) systems are a more affordable alternative to the previous 13.5-inch driver models (IWSv2-SYS-113) in the Fathom IWS lineup starting at $2,100 vs. $4,500.
The 8-inch Fathom IWS systems are smaller and easier to integrate than the larger in-wall Fathoms, fitting in all standard, 16-inch, on-center stud openings, and operating through very small grilles. These grilles accommodate all common drywall thicknesses, and can be easily painted to match the wall.
The subwoofer enclosures utilize extensive architectural features aimed at improving rigidity while keeping a very low profile and minimal wall thickness. A unique port design vents through a slot located at the perimeter of the driver mount to enhance efficiency and low-bass output. Inside the enclosure is an all-new long-excursion 8-inch thin-line woofer.
Each 8-inch Fathom IWS system is powered by a rack-mountable amplifier (model SA-600W), capable of generating up to 600 watts of clean power and can drive up to two enclosures (model IWS-SYS-208). A complete set of Fathom signal processing features are in the amplifier, including a powerful, 18-band Digital Automatic Room Optimization (D.A.R.O.) system, and a true 2-way crossover with high-pass outputs, all accessible via an easy-to-use, menu-driven interface and LCD display. Note: D.A.R.O. functionality requires optional calibration microphone (sold separately).
Fathom IWS-SYS-108 and IWS-SYS-208 Specifications:
- Enclosure Type: Ported Enclosure
- Driver(s): 8-inch (nominal diameter)
- Effective Piston Area: 31.62 sq. in. (0.0204 sq. m.) for each woofer
- Effective Displacement: 47.5 cu. in. (0.78 liters) for each woofer
- Amplifier Power: 300W RMS short-term (IWS-SYS-108), 600W RMS short-term (IWS-SYS-208)
- Amplifier Dimensions (HxWxD): 1.75 in. x 16.84 in. x 13.63 in. (44 mm x 428 mm x 346 mm)
- Amplifier Net Weight: 13.5 lbs. (6.12 kg)
- Enclosure Dimensions (HxWxD): 61.63 in. x 14 in. x 3.25 in. (1,565 mm x 355 mm x 83 mm)
- Cabinet Finish: Black Texture-Coated
- Wall Opening Dimensions (HxW): 9.75 in. x 9.75 in. (248 mm x 248 mm)
- Grille Dimensions (HxW): 10.50 in. x 10.50 in. (267 mm x 267 mm)
- Grille Finish: White (paintable)
- Proprietary, purpose built, ported enclosure
- Single amplifier system solution – 300W single driver system or 600W dual driver system
- Off, On, Automatic (Signal-Sensing or 12V Trigger) Power Modes
- D-Pad navigation buttons with LCD display
- Inputs – JLINK (RJ45 jack), Unbalanced Stereo or Mono (two RCA jacks), High-Level Stereo or Mono (removable plug)
- Outputs – Stereo or Mono (two RCA jacks – Pass-Through or High-Pass), Neutrik speak-On 2-Pole Connectors (uses Neutrik part: NL2FX, included)
- 18-Band Digital Automatic Room Optimization (D.A.R.O.)
Price and Availability
- IWS-SYS-108 – $2,100 (one in-wall sub + SA-600W amp)
- IWS-SYS-208 – $3,000 (two in-wall subs + SA-600W amp)
- Released: Mid October 2017