At a step below and about half the price of the new XS-1 camera, FujiFilm announced the FinePix HS30EXR and HS25EXR super-zoom 16-megapixel digital cameras, both of which feature a new 1/2-inch EXR-CMOS sensor, a powerful FUJINON 30x manual optical zoom (24mm-720mm) and a tilting 3-inch high contrast 460K resolution LCD with Sunlight Mode and a bright electronic viewfinder for easy outdoor viewing. The cameras look the same, but the HS30EXR adds a few more features for enthusiasts — mainly RAW shooting, slightly larger EVF and lithium ion battery.
The versatile HS30EXR and HS25EXR boast full 1080p HD movie recording at 30 frames per second (fps), super-fast auto focus of 0.16 seconds, high speed continuous shooting up to 11fps (M setting) and Super Intelligent Digital Zoom that effectively doubles zoom capability to an extraordinary 60x to capture even the most distant shot – especially good for nature and sporting event photography. For enthusiast photographers who want to get even more out of their pictures, the HS30EXR and HS25EXR also feature an amazing Super Macro Mode for shots as close as 1cm for breathtaking detail all without having to change a lens.
The HS30EXR has a large .26″ electronic viewfinder with a 22° viewing angle and stunning 920K resolution that features a “heads up” sensor that automatically changes from LCD to EVF, and numerous other features for serious photographers seeking versatility and performance. The HS25EXR has a big .20″ electronic viewfinder with a 16° viewing angle and 200K resolution with the same “heads up” sensor that automatically changes from LCD to EVF for convenience.
A 30x Zoom Lens
With a 30x zoom range covering focal lengths from a super-wide 24-720mm, the FinePix HS30EXR and HS25EXR are ready for anything with their versatile single lens — from super macro to long telephoto shots. Boasting high quality FUJINON optics, the manual zoom lens is now even easier to operate on the HS30EXR thanks to a body redesign for faster and more precise zoom control.
The FinePix HS30EXR and HS25EXR are also equipped to fight blurring, a common problem when using longer focal lengths. Dual Image Stabilization combines a mechanically stabilized CMOS sensor with high ISO sensitivities for total anti-blur protection. Together these technologies reduce the blurring effect of both handshake and subject movement to provide sharp, clean and clear results even at the longest zoom settings or in challenging lighting conditions.
Intelligent Processor Featuring EXR Technology
With the updated intelligent processor, taking photos can't get much easier. The improved GUI, with its new, rich user interface that dramatically improves the appearance and searching functions of menus, might be one of the first things you notice, but the most notable benefits are speed and image quality. Additionally, the FinePix HS30EXR and HS25EXR can now recognize an impressive 27 scenes. While shooting in EXR Auto Mode, the camera configures each scene and recognizes the perfect setting and automatically takes the best quality picture, with a single touch of a button.
EXR technology adds further versatility by modifying its behavior according to the lighting condition. Users can either let the EXR Auto mode choose the correct setting itself, or pick from three manually selected options:
- High Resolution Priority — can be used when you're after exceptional image quality.
- High ISO & Low Noise Priority — can be used in low light conditions where the combination with the EXR sensor makes for superb results.
- Dynamic Range Priority — takes two pictures and combines them to provide a wide dynamic range of up to 1600%.
Capture Moving Subjects
The FinePix HS30EXR and HS25EXR's strong mix of sensor and processing technologies allow breathless action shots to be captured. The high-speed continuous shooting offers full resolution up to 8fps, or up to a staggering 11fps (M setting) at a reduced resolution. The FinePix HS30EXR also eliminates the need to worry about slow auto focusing or shutter lag. The new solution's contrast Auto Focus system takes approximately 0.16 seconds to focus.
HD Movie Capture
The FinePix HS-Series offers an impressive level of movie functionality. With the ability to capture movies in true, full 1080p HD quality, the FinePix HS-Series delivers high sensitivity with low noise for movies captured in low lighting. In addition, movie files (.MOV) are captured with H.264 high profile compression for smaller file sizes without sacrificing quality. With a mini-HDMI output connector, it is easy to connect and view images on your HDTV (HDMI cable not included).
High Speed Movies
Versatility is further increased thanks to the High Speed Movie options, which include capture at an incredible 320fps. With features like this, even the fastest moving subjects can be captured and played back in slow motion.
HS30EXR (note slightly larger EVF)
Intuitive Body Design
The FinePix HS30EXR and HS25EXR sport a full complement of sophisticated manual and semi-automatic shooting modes and photographic controls. The extensive external controls give the more advanced photographer direct access to virtually every control they will need for uninterrupted shooting, and the specially designed chassis includes dedicated command buttons for quick and easy key functions such as ISO, white balance, focus and metering. The large command dial, manual focus ring, twist and zoom lens barrel, bright, clear electronic viewfinder, high quality tilting LCD screen and deep hand grip ensures the camera handles well. The HS30EXR uses a high performance, rechargeable Li-ion battery for up to 600 shots per charge, while the HS25EXR uses widely-available AA battery power.
The FinePix HS30EXR and HS25EXR also offer these additional features:
- Motion Panorama 360°: The sensor extends the sweep range to 360° (shots can also be taken vertically). Combined with high quality Fujifilm printing, sweeping and impressive scenes can be taken, showing fine detail, low noise and high resolution at 180°, 240° or full 360° panoramic ranges.
- Super Intelligent Flash: The FinePix HS30EXR and HS25EXR offer a flash control system which efficiently controls the level of flash for a given exposure to produce beautifully balanced flash illumination across the foreground and background. Super Intelligent Flash is most useful in macro photography where the contrast between subject and background can be especially challenging, but is also effective for night and backlit photography. Both cameras also offer a TTL hot shoe to add external FUJIFILM flashes.
- Face Recognition: Users can register up to eight (8) faces, along with names, birthdays and categories, and the HS30EXR and HS25EXR will prioritize focus and exposure right on the faces of those special people. Users can also use Image Search to view images of a registered person.
- Face Detection and Automatic Red-eye Removal: To provide perfectly exposed and focused portrait shots, the FinePix HS30EXR and HS25EXR are fitted with Fujifilm's latest Face Detection technology which is able to track up to 10 faces simultaneously, at almost any angle to the camera. The system instantly corrects red-eye and then saves both the original and the corrected image file automatically.
- RAW / RAW+JPEG Shooting (HS30EXR only): The FinePix HS30EXR can shoot both a RAW and JPEG shot simultaneously. RAW is for ultimate quality shots via post processing, JPEG is for great quality with no need for further post-production work.
- Multi-Bracketing: The FinePix HS30EXR and HS25EXR have 3 bracketing functions useful for high level photography: Film Simulation Bracketing (which automatically sets Film Simulation to PROVIA, Velvia and ASTIA for simultaneous capture of 3 frames), Dynamic Range Bracketing (which automatically sets dynamic range to 100%, 200% and 400% for simultaneous capture of 3 frames) and AE Bracketing (which automatically sets exposure range to even, under and over for simultaneous capture of 3 frames).
- Purple Fringing Reducer/Corner Resolution Enhancer: The EXR processor has the capability to spot and reduce purple color fringing, most common on dark subjects against light backgrounds. In addition, the EXR processor improves the resolution at the corners of an image for more uniform image sharpness.