Immersive 5.1.4 surround sound from a Soundbar
Following Sennheiser’s AMBEO 3D audio headset release comes the promise of spatial 3D sound technology for home theaters via AMBEO Soundbar. However, only for those that can afford its $2499 price tag — making it one of the most expensive sound bars on the market for 2019.
The AMBEO Soundbar claims to deliver 3D sound that blurs the line between playback and reality from a single all-in-one device. It claims to place the listener inside the sound experience with incredible realism.
“We are thrilled to be introducing the AMBEO Soundbar as Sennheiser’s first foray into the home entertainment speaker category. We have developed it with the ambition to create one of the best soundbars on the market – an elegant all-in-one solution for all those seeking an immersive 3D, audiophile-grade home entertainment experience,” said Stephane Hareau, Global Head of Products – Consumer at Sennheiser.
Beneath its lacquered and brushed aluminum surface, the AMBEO Soundbar is powered by 13 drivers and the latest virtualization technology which was jointly developed with Fraunhofer IIS.
“We believe that the AMBEO Soundbar will set a new reference in sound quality,” added Maximilian Voigt, Product Manager at Sennheiser. “It delivers the spatial ‘as if there’ experience of a 5.1.4 sound system and powerful bass, but without the need for additional speakers or an external subwoofer.”
CES 2019 Preview
Whether watching a movie, listening to music or enjoying a football match – to truly place the listener in the center of the entertainment experience, the AMBEO Soundbar optimizes the sound for the individual room and preferred seating position.
Via room calibration, the AMBEO Soundbar optimizes the sound for the individual room and preferred seating position. An included external microphone automatically adapts the acoustics to fit the individual environment.
The AMBEO Soundbar is compatible with Dolby Atmos, MPEG-H and DTS:X. Thanks to its Upmix Technology, it can also recreate stereo and 5.1 content in immersive 3D audio. The soundbar features five different presets (movie, music, sports, news and neutral) tailored to a range of scenarios and content types that precisely adjust not only the frequencies but also the 3D sound characteristics.
Sennheiser’s AMBEO Soundbar features advanced connectivity via-built in Google Chromecast, Bluetooth and HDMI eARC/CEC. Connectivity options also include three further HDMI inputs, an optical audio port, and an AUX (RCA) input.
The company claims every interaction with the soundbar to be effortless and intuitive. Sennheiser’s Smart Control App for iOS and Android allows users to adjust acoustic settings via smart devices, including setting presets, personalizing the sound with the equalizer and selecting from three different AMBEO modes (light, standard and boost). Upcoming new features will be added to the soundbar via WiFi and app updates.
- Immersive 5.1.4 sound from an all-in-one device that delivers incredibly deep bass without an additional subwoofer
- Optimized listening experience for every room with easy calibration via the included external microphone
- Compatibility with Dolby Atmos, DTS:X, and MPEG-H
- Upmix Technology to recreate stereo and 5.1 content in immersive 3D
- Five different presets to adapt the sound frequencies and 3D characteristicsaccording to content type, with presets for movie, music, sports, news, and neutral
- Easy adjustment of acoustic settings and presets, and selection from three differentAMBEO Modes (light, standard and boost) via Sennheiser’s Smart Control App for iOSand Android
- A total of 13 drivers including 6×4” long throw woofers for deep bass, 5x 1” alloy fabricdome tweeters and 2x 3.5” top-firing speakers
- Connectivity options include built-in Google Chromecast, Bluetooth and HDMIeARC/CEC
- Flexible input management with 1x HDMI eARC, 3x HDMI, 1x Optical and 1x AUX (RCA) inputs
- High frequency response of 30Hz (-3dB) – 20,000 Hz and 26Hz (-6dB) – 20,000 Hz
- New features will be added via WiFi and Sennheiser Smart Control updates
- Sleek, premium design with lacquered and brushed aluminum surface
Price & Availability
The Sennheiser AMBEO Soundbar will be available from May 2019 for $2,499 (MSRP).