Q Acoustics recently released the affordable M2 soundbase for $350. It delivers 180-degree room-filling sound thanks to a built-in down-firing dual voice-coil subwoofer for punchy low-end bass. To add even more depth and weight a MoviEQ function can be activated to emphasise the bass further and enhance movie soundtracks and video game action. To eliminate any unwanted vibrations caused by the full bass sounds the sturdy wooden cabinet provides robust damping and bracing.
The M2 utilizes Balance Mode Radiator speaker technology to deliver a 180-degree wide dispersing audio. Resulting in a bigger sweet spot, no matter where a person sits in the room, they will hear the same detailed, rich and dynamic sound.
Whether discreetly under a TV (maximum weight of 25kg) or inside a cabinet, a three-mode equalizer switch at the rear will adapt the bass levels to suit the M2’s surroundings and produce the most effective sound.
The M2 Soundbase can also be used as a music system thanks to Bluetooth aptX built-in, while support for NFC allows easy one touch pairing of devices.
For TV setup just connect the M2 via the HDMI ARC input on the TV to conveniently control volume via the TV’s remote control.
Price and Availability
The Q Acoustics M2 soundbase was released September 2017 for £299 (inc. VAT) / $349.99 USD.
- Power output: 80W (2 x 20W + 40W)
- THD (at rated power): <0.9%
- Frequency response :+/-0.5dB 20Hz to 20kHz
- S/N ratio (A-Wtd): -85dB
- HDMI: Yes, ARC
- Optical: Yes
- Line in 1 (RCA phono) min. input sensitivity – 1.0Vrms
- Line in 1 (RCA phono) input overload – 2.2 Vrms
- Line in 2 (3.5mm jack) min. input sensitivity – 450 mVrms
- Line in 2 (3.5mm jack) input overload – 1.2 Vrms
- L&R drivers mid-high BMR drivers: 58mm x 58mm
- Subwoofer Dual voice coil: 100mm x 150mm
- Crossover (Typical): 340Hz
- Power consumption
- Deep Standby: <0.5 Watts
- Idle: 11 Watts
- Power Rating: 100~240V – 50~60Hz 100W
- Specification: V4.0 class 2 device
- Latency: 40ms
- Internal stereo: CODEC 16-bit
- Stereo audio sample rate: Up to 48kHz
- Music enhancements: aptX®, SBC, MP3, AAC
- Support for: AVRCP 1.4, A2DP, 802.11 co-existence
Weight and dimensions
- Product (W x H x D): 550mm x 93mm x 338mm
- Packaging (W x H x D): 615mm x 178mm x 428mm
- Net weight/Gross Weight: 5.8 kg, 7.9 kg
- Maximum weight of placing a TV on top should be 25kg