Flexible Phone For Your Wrist
Chinese smartphone manufacturer Nubia announced the world’s first commercially available wearable phone with a flexible display. The new hybrid product called Nubia Alpha (or Nubia α) combines features of smartwatches and smartphones into a new connected experience. The wrist wearable comes in two versions with or without 4G, which means the latter makes calls without the need for a paired Bluetooth phone.
The bracelet looking device contains a 4-inch flexible display with a wrap-around screen to let you see more, control more, and experience more. With Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, and optional eSIM technologies, the Alpha allows you to send texts, make calls, and access the internet without the need for a separate smartphone. It even includes a 5-megapixel camera with clever UI shortcuts.
The Alpha is water-resistant, and the flexible display is coated in heat-resistant Polyimide, which the company claims can be flexed over 100,000 times. The band is constructed from anodized stainless steel and will be available in black or with real 18k gold plating.
Powered by the Qualcomm Snapdragon Wear 2100 platform and 1GB of RAM + 8GB of onboard memory, the Alpha is said to provide a smooth day-to-day experience. An all-new, custom-made wearable OS improves ease of use with air gestures, voice commands, and convenient multi-touch control.
- 4.01″ Flexible OLED Display – 230% more screen area than standard wearable displays
- 5-megapixel front-facing camera with 82° wide angle lens and F2.2 aperture
- Water-resistant, constructed from stainless steel
- Qualcomm Snapdragon Wear 2100 processor
- 500 mAh batery (up to 48 hours of standby time)
- Magnetic charging connector
- Quick Charge technology
- Bluetooth Texting/Calling
- 4G Internet and Calling (eSim model only)
- Gesture Interaction
- Exercise and Health Assistant
- Sleep tracking/logging
- Music playback
- 2 color variants – Black and Gold (18K Gold Plated)
Price and Availability
Nubia Alpha will come in two versions (Bluetooth and/or 4G) and two colors (black or gold) at the following prices:
- The Bluetooth version is expected to be available April 2019 for 449 euros globally.
- The eSim version (4G) will first arrive in China, Q2 2019 followed by Europe in Q3 and North America Q4 2019. It comes in two variants:
- 549 euros in Black
- 649 euros in 18K Gold Plated