World’s First Commercial Laser Pico Projector Adds Big Screen Experience to Mobile Devices
The Microvision SHOWWX™ Laser Pico Projector, powered by the PicoP display engine, delivers a colorful, vivid “big screen” viewing experience from a device about the size of a mobile phone. The SHOWWX can also connect to other portable media players, mobile phones and notebooks to spontaneously share movies, photos, presentations and more with their friends, family or business associates. Initial shipments to distributors in Asia-Pacific and Europe began in late September 2009.
Utilizing lasers as the light source and a proprietary microelectromechanical systems (MEMS) single scanning mirror within the PicoP display engine, the SHOWWX provides a very different viewing experience from pico projectors that rely upon traditional display technologies. The capabilities of the laser-based PicoP display engine include infinite focus, wide field of view and bright, vivid colors. As a result, consumers can project a widescreen, WVGA (848 X 480 pixels), DVD-quality image onto virtually any surface. The images projected can range up to 200 inches (5.0 meters) in size depending upon the surrounding ambient light.
- Resolution: WVGA (848 x 480)
- Brightness: 10 Lumens
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9 Widescreen
- Refresh Rate: 60 Hz (nominal)
- Color Gamut: > 200% NTSC
- Contrast Ratio: > 5,000:1
- Throw Ratio: 1:1 (projection distance/image diagonal)
- Image size: 150 mm to 2500 mm (6 in to 100 in)
- Projection Distance: 150 mm to
- 2500 mm (6 in to 100 in)
- Focus: No user focus adjustment needed. Image is always in focus, even on curved surfaces
- Regulatory: Class 2 laser product.
Connectivity and Audio
- Easy and simple plug and play
- Connects to most iPod devices with a single cable
- Composite adapter to other TV-out devices via a dedicated adapter cable
- VGA dock to most laptops, netbooks and Macbook via the VGA DOCK (sold separately)
- 3.5mm stereo jack – audio pass through when supplied
Battery and Power
- User replaceable battery
- Approximately 90-120 minutes of battery life when fully charged
- Charges via Micro-USB with wall charger
Size and Weight
- Height: 14 mm (.55 in)
- Width: 60 mm (2.36 in)
- Length: 118 mm (4.64 in)
- Weight (with battery): 122 g (4.3 oz)
Microvision provides the PicoP display technology platform designed to enable next-generation display and imaging products for pico projectors, vehicle displays and wearable displays that interface with mobile devices. The company’s projection display engine uses highly efficient laser light sources which can create vivid images with high contrast and brightness.