Nearly four years in the making, Light is now accepting pre-orders for a radically new digital camera that rivals DSLR quality by combining 16 lenses inside a pocket-sized body. Priced at $1,950, the Light L16 captures professional quality photos without any complicated adjustments, just a single click.
Light L16 camera combines advanced optics with powerful software to enable anyone to shoot, edit and share high-quality pictures. Using 16 different lenses, this compact camera captures the details of a scene at multiple focal lengths, then uses sophisticated algorithms to combine multiple exposures into a single image with up to 52 megapixel resolution.
Shooting with multiple camera modules also enables you to adjust depth of field even after the picture has been taken. And because the final image is extremely high-resolution, the photos stay crisp and clear, even after aggressive cropping.
Most importantly, Light gives you the freedom to focus on the moment, with the confidence that your finished picture is going to be truly amazing. Your photos should have that rich magical quality that comes with high-end cameras, without the effort, expertise, or tons of gear.
The Light L16 was designed specifically to eliminate the tradeoff between the quality you get with a DSLR, and the convenience you get with a smartphone. Because the lenses are integrated into the camera from the beginning, you never have to swap them out, or carry them around as additional equipment.
The L16 is the first multi-aperture computational camera that packs DSLR quality and capability into a device that fits in your pocket. Light claims the L16 is smaller, lighter, less expensive, and provides better image quality than any camera in its price class.
Dave Grannan, CEO & Co-Founder, Light sums it up nicely, “Our vision is to enable anyone to take amazing pictures, and to change consumers’ mindset that quality must come at high cost, a big size and with a steep learning curve.”
Price and Availability
The Light L16 can be reserved for $1950 at https://reserve.light.co/checkout. The first shipments are expected by early 2018.
- Approx. dimensions: 6.5 in. (165mm) x 3.3 in. (84.5mm) x 0.94 in. (24.05mm)
- Approx. weight: 15.3 oz. (435 g)
- Screen: 5″ FHD touchscreen
- Lenses: 16 individual modules (13MP sensors)
- 5 x 28mm f/2.0,
- 5 x 70mm f/2.0
- 6 x 150mm f/2.4
- Minimum focus:
- 10cm at 28mm
- 40cm at 70mm
- 1m at 150mm
- Storage: 256GB / USB on-the-go compatible
- Capacity: 1000+ images
- Effective pixels (megapixels): Up to 52 million+ (52+ MP)
- Output: File types: JPEG, DNG, LRI
- ISO sensitivity: ISO 100-3200
- Shutter speed: 1/8000 to 15 sec.
- Fastest shutter speed: 1/8000
- Slowest shutter speed: 15 sec.
- Focus: Tap to focus / Half-shutter press to focus
- Self-timer: 3, 5, 10, 20 sec
- Metering method: Center-weighted / Touch-weighted
- Exposure modes: Auto / Manual
- Shutter Release Modes: Single-frame / Self-timer / 3 and 6 shot burst / Advanced low-light burst (coming soon!)
- Chipset: Qualcomm Snapdragon 820 + Light ASIC
- Operating system: Android
- Connectivity: GPS, Wi-Fi, and Bluetooth
- Battery: 4120mAh Lithium-ion polymer
- Flash: Dual-tone LED (no sync port/shoe)
- Tripod mount: Standard 1/4″-20tpi
- USB: USB 3.0 SuperSpeed / Type-C connector
- Video (coming soon): 4K video with 28mm, 70mm or 150mm focal lengths at full frame equivalent