The just announced HTC One A9 is the first non-Nexus smartphone powered by Android 6.0 Marshmallow. The 5-inch screen sized phone brings Google’s latest innovations and the simplicity of HTC Sense right out of the box. Most interesting is it looks just like iPhone 6s, but is a little bigger.
Featuring the newest Qualcomm Snapdragon 617 processor with integrated X8 LTE and 64-bit octa-core CPUs, the HTC One A9 is designed to deliver a perfect balance of powerful performance, fast connectivity and better battery life. With support for epic LTE wireless speeds through next-generation carrier aggregation technology, it delivers more high-definition streaming videos, more pulse-pounding high-resolution audio and more storage in the cloud to hold everything your heart desires.
With so many new features, the HTC One A9 has also been designed with all new power-saving capabilities to maximize battery life. Doze automatically turns off power hungry applications when your phone is left idle, such as when charging overnight, while App Standby knows when an app open in the background isn’t being used and shuts it down until you need it again. In addition, the phone’s new processor, AMOLED screen and support for the optional HTC Rapid Charger 2.0, for up to 75% faster charging6are all optimized to maximize battery life throughout the day. In real terms this means, for example, that you can play 12 hours of HD video on one charge.
The HTC One A9’s front and rear cameras, coupled with powerful yet simple editing tools, mean epic photos and videos are only a tap away. Its main 13MP rear camera features Optical Image Stabilization (OIS), which automatically minimizes hand shake and corrects vibrations to give you a crystal-clear picture every time. Meanwhile, the front UltraPixel camera delivers the best self-portraits in any lighting condition, using HTC’s UltraPixel sensor to capture 300% more light than conventional smartphone cameras.
Offering an optional Pro mode to capture the perfect photo without being a photography expert, you can also save photos using RAW capture – a tool used by professional photographers – for an unmatched level of detail and post-shot editing flexibility. Or you can keep things simple with Photo Editor’s one-button enhancement feature, which automatically brightens colors and sharpens edges for unbelievably clear and crisp photos2.
Sometimes a still photo just isn’t enough. With the HTC One A9’s Hyperlapse editing tool you can speed up your videos to 12 times as fast for a dramatic time-lapse effect, creating an immersive video that perfectly captures the moments that matter. Speed through your video or use capture mode to edit in slow motion, highlighting those unforgettable memories. Or use HTC Zoe to easily and automatically mix your best shots and videos into one professional-looking highlight reel that can be shared with friends and family to tell the story of any moment from every angle.
HTC BoomSound is integrated into the headset combined with Dolby Audio surround technology, delivering immersive, vibrant sound that matches a live experience in your headphones by taking high-resolution audio to the next level. With a built-in DAC that delivers audio at 24-bit, 192KHz quality – better than CD quality – it provides a richness and depth like you’ve never before heard from your music collection. A powerful high-output headphone amplifier, with double the output of other handsets, provides more power and dynamic range so you can hear every nuance of your favorite music, videos and games. Optional high-resolution audio certified HTC Pro Studio Earphones deliver both noise isolation and truly immersive sound.
Combined with a multi-directional fingerprint scanner, Android Pay makes purchasing items as secure and as easy as “tap, pay, done.” Google’s Now on Tap feature also intuitively provides contextual information about whatever is on your screen – look up reviews for a movie from a text, hear a song mentioned in a blog post, or book seats at a restaurant from an email, all at the press of the home button.
To protect your smartphone, pair it with the HTC Dot View II case, available in Obsidian, Deep Garnet, Sea Coral and Turquoise Blue. Its retro-inspired dot matrix cover reveals instant notifications, weather updates, caller ID and more, even while closed, and simple gesture controls bring music, flashlight, radio and voice recording tools closer than ever.
Price and Availability
The HTC One A9 will be available November 2015, but can be pre-ordered now on htc.com for a special, limited time promotional price of $399.99 and it will be available in Opal Silver and Carbon Gray initially. Deep Garnet and Topaz Gold will be made available in the coming weeks.
The phone is available in both 16 and 32GB configurations and features expandable memory, supporting up to 2TB in SD card storage, perfect for storing all your apps, games, photos, music and videos.
In the U.S., the HTC One A9 will be available across multiple carriers and retailers. They will announce colors, availability and pricing for their respective channels. In addition, HTC will be making a special Unlocked edition available on www.HTC.com. This edition will be SIM Unlocked and will also allow you to unlock the bootloader without voiding your warranty, giving our customers an even greater level of freedom. And, in order for customers to experience our best-in-class sound quality, this version will come with 6 months of unlimited music on Google Play Music and UH OH Protection, which includes one free replacement within the first 12 months of ownership for a cracked screen, water damage or carrier switch.
- Display: 5.0 inch, Full HD 1080p, Corning Gorilla Glass 4
- CPU Speed: Qualcomm Snapdragon 617, Octa-core; 64-bit, 4 x 1.5GHz + 4 x 1.2GHz
- Unlocked, AT&T, T-Mobile and Verizon: 2G GSM/GPRS/EDGE:850/900/1800/1900; 3G UMTS 850/AWS(1700)/1900/2100; 4G LTE: FDD 2,3,4,5,7,12,13,17,29
- Sprint: 2G GSM/GPRS/EDGE: 850/900/1800/1900; 3G UMTS850/AWS(1700)/1900/2100; 4G LTE: FDD 2,4,5,12,25,26 TDD: 41
- Sensors: Ambient light sensor, Proximity sensor, Motion G sensor, Compass sensor, Gyro sensor, Magnetic sensor, Sensor Hub, Fingerprint sensor
- Main camera: 13MP with sapphire cover lens, auto-focus , BSI sensor, OIS, ƒ/2.0, 1080p video recording
- Front camera: HTC UltraPixel, fixed focus, ƒ/2.0, 1080p video recording
- Weight: 143g
- Platform Android: Android 6.0 with HTC Sense
- Memory: 3GB RAM / 32GB Storage; MicroSD card up to 2TB
- Connectivity: Bluetooth 4.1; Wi-Fi: 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac (2.4 & 5 GHz); 3.5 mm stereo audio jack; micro-USB 2.0 (5-pin) port
- Audio supported formats:
- Playback: .aac, .amr, .ogg, .m4a, .mid, .mp3, .wav, .flac, ac3, ec3, eac3;
- Recording: .aac;
- Video supported formats:
- Playback: .3gp, .3g2, .mp4, .avi, .mkv;
- Recording: .mp4
- Audio supported formats:
- SIM Card Type: Nano SIM
- GPS: Internal GPS antenna + GLONASS
- Sound: Dolby Audio with Hi-Res Audio
- Size: 145.75 x 70.8. x 7.26 mm
- Capacity: 2150 mAh with Quick Charge 2.0 support (forward compatible with Quick Charge 3.0 with future software upgrade)
- HD video playback: up to 12 hours
- Audio playback: up to 60 hours
- Internet use on WiFi: up to 9 hours
- Talk time on 3G network: up to 16 hours
- Standby time on 3G network: up to 18 days