Edifier introduced Spinnaker, their flagship Bluetooth desktop speaker system, featuring a sail inspired design. Each Spinnaker speaker is 16.5-inch tall and its unique shape is designed to project sound towards the listener with front facing tweeters and mid-range drivers, reinforced with a downward firing bass driver. Spinnaker is Bluetooth enabled, making it a versatile product for wireless use in the home and office. A USB rechargeable wireless remote controls the volume, track navigation and play/pause preferences effortlessly within a 10-meter radius (30 ft).
The sail inspired design enhances the sound in a number of ways. By using a tapered cylindrical shape, internal standing waves and resonances are unable to collect to a measurable degree in any area within the enclosure, and in fact cancel themselves out at various frequencies. Additionally, the aluminum frame paired with internal damping materials reduces unwanted enclosure vibration. The result is a more lifelike and accurate sound presentation for the listener.
A technique commonly used in large-scale sound amplification for concerts, Tri-amping is the practice of connecting three audio amplifiers to a loudspeaker unit: one to power the bass driver (woofer), one to power the mid-range and the third to power the treble driver (tweeter). A single amplifier can typically power a woofer, mid and tweeter only through a crossover filter, which protects each driver from signals outside its frequency range. However, the crossover itself wastes power, so tri-amping is a way to avoid this problem.
Possible phase shifts from a passive crossover are eliminated by using DSP electronic crossovers within Spinnaker's amplifiers. In addition, Edifier engineers have freed up valuable internal space within Spinnaker by eliminating a large passive crossover printed circuit board, with coils, capacitors and resistors. The more internal air volume available, the better and deeper the bass can become.
- Bluetooth pairing capability with Bluetooth enabled devices A2DP and AVRCA Bluetooth profile support within a 30' radius
- Optical input for connectivity to multimedia systems, gaming consoles and media center
- Auxiliary input for versatile connectivity to external devices
- Uniquely designed dome-shaped, rechargeable and multifunctional wireless remote
- Incorporation of digital sound processing technology (DSP) with separate 6-channel digital crossover for effective sound amplification
- Separate subwoofer output
- Tri-amped speaker system for enhanced dynamics and power