Apple today announced an all-new Apple TV 4K. Although the set-top streaming media player keeps the same name as its predecessor it delivers a few key improvements — a new Siri Remote, faster frame rates for smoother video, and TV color calibration in conjunction with iPhone 12. These new features are enabled thanks to inclusion of Apple’s A12 Bionic chip that provides a significant boost in graphics performance, video decoding, and audio processing.
“Apple TV 4K is in a category of its own, leveraging a deep integration of Apple hardware, software, and services that delivers a massive upgrade to any TV for the very best cinematic experience. With the A12 Bionic and the all-new Siri Remote, Apple TV 4K lets customers enjoy their favorite shows, movies, and more in the highest quality, with simple and intuitive controls. And of course, Apple TV 4K offers easy access to Apple services, along with thousands of apps on the App Store for even more entertainment options.”Bob Borchers, Apple’s vice president of Worldwide Product Marketing
Improved Video Experiences
With A12 Bionic, Apple TV 4K now supports high frame rate HDR (High Dynamic Range) and Dolby Vision video, enabling fast-moving action at 60 frames per second (fps) to play more smoothly and appear more lifelike than ever before.1 Apple is working with leading video providers around the world, including FOX Sports, NBCUniversal, Paramount+, Red Bull TV, and Canal+, as they begin to stream in high frame rate HDR. And with high frame rate support in AirPlay, videos shot on iPhone 12 Pro can be displayed in full 60-fps Dolby Vision on the new Apple TV 4K.
Through an innovative color balance process, Apple TV works with iPhone and its advanced sensors to improve a television’s picture quality.2 Apple TV uses the light sensor in iPhone to compare the color balance to the industry-standard specifications used by cinematographers worldwide. Using this data, Apple TV automatically tailors its video output to deliver much more accurate colors and improved contrast — without customers ever having to adjust their television settings.
The Redesigned Siri Remote
The all-new Siri Remote features an innovative clickpad control that offers five-way navigation for better accuracy, and is also touch-enabled for the fast directional swipes Apple TV users love. The outer ring of the clickpad supports an intuitive circular gesture that turns it into a jog control — perfect for finding a scene in a movie or show. And with its one-piece aluminum design, the new Siri Remote fits more comfortably in a user’s hand.The new Siri Remote also has a power button that controls a TV’s power, and another for mute, making it the only remote needed while enjoying TV. Using Siri, customers can easily search for specific shows or movies, control smart home accessories, check sports scores or the weather, and much more. Siri now works on Apple TV in Austria, Ireland, and New Zealand, joining the 13 countries and regions that already support Siri.3
Pricing and Availability
- The new Apple TV 4K will be available starting at $179 (US) from apple.com, in the Apple Store app, and Apple Store locations. Apple TV 4K is also available through Apple Authorized Resellers and select pay TV providers.
- Customers can order the new Apple TV 4K beginning Friday, April 30, with availability beginning in the second half of May in more than 30 countries and regions, including the US.
- Apple TV HD with the new Siri Remote will be available for $149.
- The new Siri Remote will be available separately for $59, and is compatible with the previous-generation Apple TV 4K and Apple TV HD.
- For the first time, AppleCare+ will be available for Apple TV, providing three years of technical support and additional hardware coverage, including up to two incidents of accidental damage protection every 12 months.5
- A subscription may be required to access some content. Not all content is available in 4K or 4K HDR. High frame rate HDR content is currently limited. Additional content will be available soon. 4K resolution requires a 4K-capable TV. Playback quality will depend on hardware and Internet connection.
- Requires iPhone with Face ID running iOS 14.5 or later, and is available for Apple TV 4K (1st generation and later) and Apple TV HD with tvOS 14.5. These software updates will be available next week.
- Available for Apple TV 4K (1st generation and later) and Apple TV HD with tvOS 14.5 starting next week.
- Subscriptions are required for Apple TV+, Apple Music, Apple Arcade, and Fitness+.
- Subject to a service fee.