The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, in cooperation with HP today announced a voluntary recall of the following consumer product. Consumers should stop using recalled products immediately unless otherwise instructed. It is illegal to resell or attempt to resell a recalled consumer product.
- Name of product: Lithium-Ion batteries used in Hewlett-Packard and Compaq notebook computers
- Units: About 54,000 (70,000 units were previously recalled in May 2009)
- Importer: Hewlett-Packard Co., of Palo Alto, Calif.
- Hazard: The recalled lithium-ion batteries can overheat, posing a fire and burn hazard to consumers.
- Incidents/Injuries: Since the May 2009 recall, HP has received 38 additional reports of batteries that overheated and ruptured resulting in 11 instances of minor personal injury and 31 instances of minor property damage.
- Description: The recalled lithium-ion rechargeable batteries are used with various model series of HP and Compaq notebook computers. The chart below includes all notebook model numbers associated with batteries recalled to date. The computer model number is located at the top of the service label on the bottom of the notebook computer. Not all batteries matching the bar codes are being recalled.
|Notebook Model Number||Battery Bar Codes
(^ in the code can be any letter or number)
|HP Pavilion||dv2000, dv2500, dv2700, dv6000, dv6500, dv6700, dv9000, dv9500, dv9700||62940^^AXV^^^^, 65035^^B7U^^^^, 65035^^B7V^^^^, 65035^^BGU^^^^, 65035^^BGV^^^^, 65033^^B7U^^^^, 65033^^B7V, 65033^^BGU^^^^|
|Compaq Presario||A900, C700, F500, F700, V3000, V3500, V3700, V6000, V6500, V6700||62940^^AXV^^^^, 65035^^B7U^^^^, 65035^^B7V^^^^, 65035^^BGU^^^^, 65035^^BGV^^^^|
|HP||G6000, G7000||62940^^AXV^^^^, 65035^^B7U^^^^, 65035^^B7V^^^^, 65035^^BGU^^^^, 65035^^BGV^^^^|
|HP Compaq||6510b, 6515b, 6710b, 6710s, 6715b, 6715s, 6720s||65000^^B5V^^^^, 67059^^V8U^^^^, 67059^^V8V^^^^|
- Sold at: Computer and electronics stores nationwide, hp.com and hpshopping.com from August 2007 through July 2008 for between $500 and $3,000. The battery packs were also sold separately for between $100 and $160.
- Manufactured in: China
- Remedy: Consumers should immediately remove the batteries referenced above from their notebook computer and contact HP to determine if their battery is included in this recall (even if the battery was previously checked). Consumers with recalled batteries will receive a free replacement battery. After removing the recalled battery from their notebook computer, consumers may use the AC adapter to power the computer until a replacement battery arrives. HP recommends that only batteries obtained from HP or an HP authorized reseller be used with HP notebook PCs.
- Consumer Contact: For additional information, visit the HP Battery Replacement Program website at http://www.hp.com/support/BatteryReplacement or call (888) 202-4320 between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. CT Monday through Friday.
CPSC is still interested in receiving incident or injury reports that are either directly related to this product recall or involve a different hazard with the same product. Please tell us about it by visiting https://www.cpsc.gov/cgibin/incident.aspx
Firm's Recall Hotline: (888) 202-4320
CPSC Recall Hotline: (800) 638-2772
CPSC Media Contact: (301) 504-7908
HP Media Contact: (281) 514-6552
SOURCE U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission