New Tecra M9 Featuring Intel Centrino Pro Processor Technology, Blends Productivity, Reliability and Performance into a Thin-and-Light Design
Toshiba’s Digital Products Division, a division of Toshiba America Information Systems, Inc., today announced the Tecra M9 notebook computer designed for mobile professionals. As part of Toshiba’s award-winning mobile professional notebook product line, the Tecra M9 offers enhanced productivity, reliability and performance to address the needs of the growing number of on-the-go professionals.
“The Tecra M9 is the perfect example of Toshiba’s commitment to engineering high quality mobile computing innovations,” said Jeff Barney, vice president of marketing, Digital Products Division, Toshiba America Information Systems, Inc. “This notebook was designed to specifically meet the needs of today’s professionals seeking performance and innovation to create a competitive advantage.”
Optimized for Windows Vista, the Tecra M9 is powered by Intel Centrino Pro processor technology, which consists of four primary components including the Intel Core 2 Duo Processor, Intel 965 Express chipset, Intel Wireless Wi-Fi Link 4965 AGN supporting draft 802.11n and Intel Active Management Technology (AMT 2.5).
“Toshiba has incorporated the Intel Core microarchitecture into the Tecra M9 to deliver professional capabilities as well as providing a performance edge over standard commercial PCs,” said Erik Reid, marketing director, Intel Mobile Platforms Group. “Mobile professionals using these latest Toshiba notebooks with Intel Centrino Pro processor technology will benefit from better management and protection of their notebook computers while providing responsive performance and wireless connectivity.”
As one of Toshiba’s first notebooks for mobile professionals to feature the Intel Wireless Wi-Fi Link 4965 AGN supporting draft 802.11n protocol, users will experience up to five times better connection speeds and up to twice the wireless range, providing faster downloads and enhanced productivity compared to 802.11g. Support for Intel Active Management Technology (AMT 2.5) will allow network managers to better manage mobile computing assets, deliver proactive security and improved maintenance in order to minimize user downtime and provide greater efficiency at or away from the office.
The Tecra M9 incorporates Toshiba’s third generation of EasyGuard technology providing a more reliable and more secure mobile computing experience including:
- Shock Absorbing Design: The sleek industrial design integrates enhanced protection zones along all sides of the notebook, along with a sturdy magnesium alloy chassis, to help the Tecra M9 better withstand accidental drops from heights up to one meter. In addition, Toshiba implemented reinforced ribs in the rounded edges of the display lid to better protect critical components by better dissipating energy resulting from accidental bumps or drops.
- HDD Protection:Recognizing that the hard disk drive (HDD) is one of the most critical components and that accidentally dropping a notebook rarely occurs in a linear motion, Toshiba implemented the 3D accelerometer, a mechanism which detects acceleration from all directions. The 3D accelerometer helps guard the HDD against awkward accidental drops, including a spinning, falling notebook, by rapidly removing the HDD head from between the HDD platters, better protecting the notebook in all three rotational dimensions of pitch, roll and yaw.
- Spill Resistant Keyboard: Toshiba also improved their spill resistant keyboard to help protect against accidental spills of liquids, including soda, beer and coffee with cream and sugar, an upgrade from the previous protection against water. This enhanced feature affords users time to save work and shut down the system in the event of an accidental spill–helping to prevent the loss of data.
Additional information about Toshiba’s EasyGuard technology is available at http://www.EasyGuard.Toshiba.com.
The Tecra M9 will offer multiple graphics options, including integrated graphics using the Intel Graphics Media Accelerator x3100 for solid graphics performance. The Tecra M9 will also be available with discrete graphics using the NVIDIA Quadro NVS 130M discrete graphics chipset with up to 383MB of available graphics memory and native support for DirectX10 providing effortless image rendering and fluid multimedia playback.
To further enhance the visual experience, the Tecra M9 incorporates a brilliant 14.1-inch diagonal widescreen display that combined with Windows Aero to provide a superb viewing experience, bringing images and text to life with vivid and vibrant colors. The widescreen display of the Tecra M9 provides exceptional side-by-side viewing of multi-page documents, multimedia files and large spreadsheets giving users a larger workspace while maintaining a small form factor. This makes the Tecra M9 ideal for use even in compact spaces, such as train or airplane tray tables.
Toshiba has integrated a new keyboard optimized for Vista and redesigned the AccuPoint and touchpad layout for increased navigation flexibility. These new features deliver a feeling of confidence and comfort for increased usability.
Tecra M9-S5514 Recommended Configuration (ESUP $1,799)
- Genuine Windows Vista Business (32-bit version)
- Intel Core Duo Processor T7500 2 GHz, 4MB L2, 800MHz FSB with 64-bit 1024MB PC2-5200 DDR2 SDRAM memory
- 120GB (5400 RPM) Serial-ATA (SATA) hard disk drive
- DVD SuperMulti (+/-R double layer) drive supporting 11 formats
- 14.1-inch diagonal widescreen display
- 1440×900 native resolution (WXGA+)
- NVIDIA Quadro NVS 130 with 128MB of dedicated graphics memory and up to 255MB of TurboCache Technology
- Intel Wireless Wi-Fi Link 4965 AGN (802.11a/g/n)
- Bluetooth 2.0 + EDR
Complete product specifications for all the Tecra M9 models available at http://www.toshiba.com.
The Tecra M9 is available with either a one-or-three year standard, limited warranty, which includes carry-in support at Authorized Service Providers throughout the country; or customers may utilize any of the more than 3,000 UPS Stores and Mail Boxes Etc. locations for packaging and delivery of the product to a centralized depot for prompt turnaround service. Customers can also choose to upgrade the notebook’s service plans, including up to four years of extended warranty coverage.
All new Toshiba notebooks are RoHS-compatible, effectively reducing the environmental impact by restricting the use of lead, mercury and certain other hazardous substances. Toshiba also offers a computer trade-in and recycling program to reduce environmental impact and promote efficient utilization of resources. All Toshiba computers qualify for free recycling, while non-Toshiba computers and other consumer electronic products can be recycled for a small fee. For more information please visit: http://www.reuse.toshiba.com.
About Toshiba America Information Systems, Inc. (TAIS)
Headquartered in Irvine, Calif., TAIS is comprised of four business units: Digital Products Division, Imaging Systems Division, Storage Device Division, and Telecommunication Systems Division. Together, these divisions provide mobile products and solutions, including industry leading portable computers; projectors; imaging products for the security, medical and manufacturing markets; storage products for automotive, computer and consumer electronics applications; and telephony equipment and associated applications.
TAIS provides sales, marketing and services for its wide range of information products in the United States and Latin America. TAIS is an independent operating company owned by Toshiba America, Inc., a subsidiary of Toshiba Corporation, which is a global leader in high technology and integrated manufacturing of electrical and electronic components, products and systems, as well as major infrastructure systems. Toshiba has more than 191,000 employees worldwide and annual sales of over US $60 billion (FY2006). For more information on Toshiba’s leading innovations, visit the company’s Web site at http://www.toshiba.com.